Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Dominos is far more generous with the toppings. Also pizza hut tastes weirdly cheap and artificial in a way that dominos dont.

i know it's all lovely chain pizza and some yank is probably reading this and shaking his head right now but gat dang i love me some dominos when i actually have money to piss away. Why is pizza so freaking expensive in this country, though? I was chatting with americans in another thread a while back and when i told then that dominos pizzas were basically £15 each here they all nearly fainted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

communism bitch posted:

Dominos is far more generous with the toppings. Also pizza hut tastes weirdly cheap and artificial in a way that dominos dont.

i know it's all lovely chain pizza and some yank is probably reading this and shaking his head right now but gat dang i love me some dominos when i actually have money to piss away. Why is pizza so freaking expensive in this country, though? I was chatting with americans in another thread a while back and when i told then that dominos pizzas were basically £15 each here they all nearly fainted.

how much are they meant to cost?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

communism bitch posted:

cause their business model is based around lots of people not paying sticker price. they routinely do deep (33-50%) discounts like two for tuesday, you're subsidizing that.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

communism bitch posted:

Why is pizza so freaking expensive in this country, though? I was chatting with americans in another thread a while back and when i told then that dominos pizzas were basically £15 each here they all nearly fainted.

I reckon it's marketing. As they always have some kind of deal on (50% off on collection, etc), you feel like you're getting a bargain so you don't complain. When actually, even at half price it's still quite expensive, but it feels cheap so you're happy.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

big scary monsters posted:

It's pretty simple, everywhere north of Exeter is The North, everywhere south of Crianlarich is The South.
This is your* irregular reminder that Bristol is not in the South West, despite what Bristolians would like to believe

*the general you

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Back when I lived in Haringey there was a place nearby that would deliver you 10-inch pizzas, with toppings, for £2 each. I don't like to even think about what shite goes into a £2 pizza but it tasted good with beer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

£15 for a pizza my arse, find a local place and buy their grease pizza and dog on a stick.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm pretty sure that Nandos have turned down the heat in the sauces they use, because I remember having a portion of extra hot way back in 2001 that was almost too spicy

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes dominoes has better pizza but Pizza Hut pretends it's an actual restaurant rather than just a lovely fast-food joint.

Domino's is a delivery pizza store and always has been. There's a reason most stores will only have a couple of seats for people who are waiting and no tables.

CoolCab posted:

cause their business model is based around lots of people not paying sticker price. they routinely do deep (33-50%) discounts like two for tuesday, you're subsidizing that.

I used to manage a Domino's and any time someone ordered one full price pizza for delivery (£16.99) it was great because it was driving down my food cost. The vast majority of orders are discounted in some way, your local store will send out vouchers every few months if you're on their mailing list, plus they've got Two for Tuesday and a carryout deal on, and usually some sort of meal deal too (2 pizzas, sides, drink for about £20).

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

The superior pizza is the one from your local takeaway. 9" with peppers, sweetcorn, jalapeños and extra cheese, cheesy chips and 1.5l of coke, £10.10 delivered.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The real answer is a curry, though

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Praseodymi posted:

The superior pizza is the one from your local takeaway. 9" with peppers, sweetcorn, jalapeños and extra cheese, cheesy chips and 1.5l of coke, £10.10 delivered.

blasphemy

you might as well put pineapple on it

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I saw Goodfellas 'Sweetfellas' dessert pizza in Tescos and nearly puked

i had one the other day and sugar overkill

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

Leicester... exists? :confuoot:
It does, and it's not as bad as people might think.

Mister Adequate posted:

poo poo I don't know, I never leave the house. Ask Guava.
TJs are great for drunk cheeseburgers. Narborough Road is the most nationally diverse street in Britain, quite possibly Europe, for commerce, so if you can't find a restaurant there you like then you're probably not going to find one anywhere. There's the Istanbul, Bar B Q Base, and a ton others (even a branch of TJs). Outside that one road there's San Carlo on Granby Street, who do nice pizza, there's (proper) Irish pubs that do traditional staples, and then there's the Shires which is still called that I will fight you redevelopers, which has a load of chain restaurants like Turtle Bay and Handmade Burger.

Unsurprisingly there are a lot of good niche South Asian places, if you want to be really specific and go for Sri Lankan or Bangladeshi, or find out the difference between Ugandan Indian cuisine and South Continental Indian cuisine, there's probably a place that can help you.

If you venture outside the city into the countryside, then there are also infinite little tearooms, often nested inside each other like some sort of tesseract. Newtown Linford (pop. 1,000) has three and a bit next door to each other, one used to be the post office. I'm certain that their church is next.

OwlFancier posted:

£15 for a pizza my arse
:heysexy:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Zephro posted:

This is your* irregular reminder that Bristol is not in the South West, despite what Bristolians would like to believe

*the general you

Wrong as usual

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Praseodymi posted:

As long as it's not one of the ones with a 1* hygiene rating because the inspector found rats in the kitchen bins.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TinTower posted:

blasphemy

A Bad Post.

Sweetcorn on pizza is amazing. The objectively best pizza is minced beef, sweetcorn, jalapenos, and onions with a stuffed crust.

My mate came up with the bizarre combination of jalapenos, haggis and pineapple which works way better than you'd think.

I'm now getting mad because I remembered 'herbs' count as a topping at dominoes and you get charged extra if you want them on a build your own.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Another reason why London - and east London at that - is superior to all other places is Pizza Union. Yeah, they're hipster as gently caress (old school science lab benches and stools, neon/steel industrial decor, every member of staff with considerably more holes than they were born with, etc) but a 12" wood-fired pizza cooked in three minutes for around a fiver is pretty unbeatable.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

As long as it's not one of the ones with a 1* hygiene rating because the inspector found rats in the kitchen bins.

Just checked, it's a 5. Which means it's better than pretty much every takeaway I went to when I lived in Middlesbrough, including KFC/McDonalds.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Best pizza is PizzaGoGo Special supersize for 6.99. That is a bargain my friends.

As for frozen pizza, I have a thing for Goodfellas deep pan as they cook surprisingly well in a microwave. From freezer to plate in 4 minutes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/BritainFirstSPA/status/875838271716298752

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That has to be a parody account.

https://twitter.com/BritainFirstSPA/status/891797413756895232

Quote a funny one by the standards of Twitter parody accounts

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

That has to be a parody account.

Remember that free movement is an irregular verb: I am an expat, you are an immigrant, he is a free-loading bogus asylum seeker.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I like a Nandos every now and then with friends. It's less of an issue now but back in the early 2000s they were better than most at offering a good veggie / vegan selection as well as halal and gluten free stuff, they were basically the default place to go if you had a big group of people with varying dietary needs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

"Putting honest decent hard working British people first from Spain"

This has to be a wind-up. Surely.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

SteelMentor posted:

Agree about Tynemouth, hard pass on Central Newcastle. I don't think I've ever been out after dark in Newcastle and not had some prick try to start something.

Bollocks, I was usually off my face and asleep on the carpet by sunset!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zephro posted:

*the general you

When I lived in Plymouth I barely considered anything beyond Dartmoor the South West, but as you can see I've mellowed with age.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

sheffield has the best uk hockey team

even if it is a beer league

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Me and my aristocrat boss recommend the following brands of chicken:

ps:im a communist with a foreign GF

EDIT I FIGHT NAZIS

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Has Terry used Trident yet? Or is this another u-turn

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My girlfriend is foreign too, which is how come you haven't met her. And she works at Nintendo. Part time so it doesn't interfere with her modelling career.

Her name? It's, uh, uh, Benq. With an accent over the e.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Julio Cruz posted:

"Putting honest decent hard working British people first from Spain"

This has to be a wind-up. Surely.

the giveaway is the support they give dan hodges, complete with positive comparisons to hopkins

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
kebab pizza and Sheffield are objectively the best

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

hand-fed baby bird posted:

Me and my aristocrat boss recommend the following brands of chicken:

ps:im a communist with a foreign GF

EDIT I FIGHT NAZIS

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

What is it with Tory MPs with the last name Davies? Tory MP calls transgender women ‘he/she’ and says they should use men’s bathrooms.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

communism bitch posted:

Maybe don't compare with the country that has literally the cheapest food in the world.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Has he been invited to take over from Vince?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder what he believes about the inverse case.

e: Oh, he clarifies it. "anyone in possession of male genitalia"

Can't wait for police to be given that sus power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TinTower posted:

blasphemy

Best pizza is topped with sweetcorn, peppers, pineapple, and mushrooms.

Guavanaut posted:

It does, and it's not as bad as people might think.

TJs are great for drunk cheeseburgers. Narborough Road is the most nationally diverse street in Britain, quite possibly Europe, for commerce, so if you can't find a restaurant there you like then you're probably not going to find one anywhere. There's the Istanbul, Bar B Q Base, and a ton others (even a branch of TJs). Outside that one road there's San Carlo on Granby Street, who do nice pizza, there's (proper) Irish pubs that do traditional staples, and then there's the Shires which is still called that I will fight you redevelopers, which has a load of chain restaurants like Turtle Bay and Handmade Burger.

I'm a three minute (Longer if that torbie kitty is hanging around on the way :kimchi:) walk away from the TJ's on Uppingham Road so yeah there's a reason I've got this big belly.

Also agreed that Narborough Road is a loving ace place for food, even if I've not been well enough to go into town and do anything for several years. I take the piss but Lex is actually a pretty cool place, largely thanks to the relatively low number of white people.

• Locked thread