Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'd argue 12 had a bigger PTSD streak than 9, honestly. From the very start with Rusty going :stare: at what was in his brain to talking about hating The Engineer (i.e. himself) to his repeated references to being a soldier, 12 seems to be processing that grief from the Time War now instead of suppressing it. It's made all the more stark when the Time Lord army refuses to fire on him because of his service record.

Maybe One helps remind him what it was like when he was young and idealistic, and that he has a chance at that again with a fresh regeneration cycle :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The who?

Chokes, you're writing this edit and looking at Barry right now. He wants funyons and he's very cross about it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Twelve: "That young fellow certainly was charming. ... hmm."
*burst of energy*
One: "Ah, that's better :smug:"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It's me everyone I'm the next doctor

Sorry for the wait

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
jelly baby?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

It's Jodie!!!

Are you loving with me or not

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I've been telling people they've been slowly floating trial balloons of thirteen being female through Missy and Dr. Clara episodes but in all honesty I didn't think they'd pull the trigger.

Fuckin A.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
okay we got the cool part out of the way now post the meltdowns I DEMAND MELTDOWNS

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

yesssss that's the stuff

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The logistics of this will be interesting as The Doctor hasn't changed genders before.

I'm sure the burn in time will result in ~hijinks~ which is worrisome as post regeneration episodes are almost all uniformly terrible :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

*dips pinkie n it and licks* oh yeah, that's pure refined Six you got there

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

Meltdowns, get your meltdowns here!

https://twitter.com/mjrobbins/status/886610394827173888

Meltdowns, hot off the presses!

*tips you a quid or whatever it is you Brits use* piping hot my man, well done

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
okay now that I have a sec let me take a look at the announcement vide---

okay well I'll be in an induced coma until next series try not to let Trump end the world in the meantime

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

NarkyBark posted:

Bring on the sexy male companions!

okay I've always wanted to be in the TARDIS :smuggo:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I know Davison's against it, or at least was last time he was asked.)

Pfft. He was boring, and not even one of the good ones.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I was going to chime in on the earlier joke but this whole thing is goony enough already so

How bout that Doctor choice huh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

On a more world buildy note, I wonder if actual Gallifreyan names are designed to be gender neutral.

It seems like it varies depending on the person. Some of them don't seem to care (Romana's nickname aside because holy poo poo even time lords aren't saying that every time) and others just make up something austentacious like THE MASTER or THE WAR CHIEF or whatever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HopperUK posted:

I did a quick straw poll. My mum likes Hartnell, my sister likes Tennant, my friends like Eccleston and Tom Baker, and my favourite is a toss-up between Troughton and Capaldi. I hope this settles the statistical question forever. :colbert:

Tennant's the most fanciable one though.

Mine is six so I think your methodology is flawed

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wyld Karde posted:

Gonna break out my crystal ball for a minute here.

So when we last saw the Doctor he's fending off the impending regeneration. He's had enough, he finds the whole thing ridiculous. So the Tardis does what she usually does and takes the Doctor to where he most needs to be. Back to his original self, who appears to be undergoing an identical personal crisis. Presumably over the course of the Christmas special the Doctor's personal character arc is going to be about accepting change through regeneration as a natural part of the Time Lord life experience, and by the end the Capaldi Doctor's attitude is going to be "Well if I'm going to change, let's make it a big one!"

on the other hand it'd be way funnier if it were a surprise, especially if she didn't realize it at first

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

man modern regeneration episodes are the worst

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

Re: Davison possibly being down on the idea of a female Doctor. Here's his only tweet on the topic so far:

https://twitter.com/peterdavison5/status/886741000810627072

I think it's great how all the previous doctors are responding in character.

Here we can see Five wanting to believe in the best of people, even in the face of contrary evidence

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I watched the clip again before bed because it owns, and I think the best part is the way her face lights up looking at the TARDIS. Not a single word said and she nails the entire scene.

dis gon be good y'all

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

here we go again, another voyage around the English language :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I hope she has the round things, I love the round things.

:downsrim:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

TOM BAKER: [Eating a sandwich, messily dripping it all over the microphone while looking pointedly at Nick Briggs and winking] I'm going to invent some of these lines instead of reading what's on the page.

this but beer

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gorn Myson posted:

Hey what the gently caress, when did Big Finish start putting stuff up on Spotify?

WHAT

*breaks speed of sound running to check*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guys I think I might be gay now.

*checks*

Yup, gay.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

The first person to try to hack into her phone for nudes (and it will happen) should be strapped to a chair and forced to watch the worst episode of Torchwood for all eternity. This punishment would be too good for Murdoch.

There's something about the Sun going CHECK OUT THIS NAKED WOMAN this quick after the announcement that's super duper extra gross

I mean... this is the Doctor

Don't be gross about the Doctor :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember who said it, but just before season 8 aired somebody posted the most perfect summation of it, it went something like:

Previously on Doctor Who:
:staredog: __________________ :ohdear:

This week on Doctor Who:
:staredog: ____ :ohdear:

it was me :keke:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I figured by now I'd be up to Five in the Clown Balloon and Jakiri would be at like, David Tennant with the Basiltar, but people just don't buy BRCTs like they used to.

Is... is this rhyming cockney slang? I didn't understand a word of it :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Man, I wandered in here to take a break from work/the Trump thread and suddenly remembered, as I saw the thread, that Jodie Whittaker is the Doctor. :)

Then I remember how far away her series is and why I forgot in the first place :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

amiibo you say? I can think of only one person to star in that show! Me!

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the Doctor to suddenly be a vengeful god or anything...but the War Doctor just feels like any other Doctor, except grumpy about it.

Maybe he eats a baby or something to stop the daleks.

Just straight up chews right into one.

I dunno why.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Today, once again, I was reminded I have to wait a year to see 13's costume and personality.

That medical coma idea is looking better and better but at the rate the states are going I'm afraid I'll wake up to a 28 Days Later scenario.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

Oh, what's the worst that can happen to the U.K. in the next year?

I heard this in Eight's voice and that is the last person who I'd want to hear that from

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*checks*

goddammit it's still not next series

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I think the preview actually looks the last episode look interesting, and this is coming from someone who, to say the least, isn't big on the idea of anyone else playing One. :shrug:

Gatiss is going to be playing the Brigadier's father.

Yeah, I was super into it. Two doctors, two TARDISes, One and Twelve going full ham, Jodie's first appearance, it's gonna be great. I am 100% sure this is everyone's opinion because, as always, this thread is a hivemind where we all agree at all times.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

docbeard posted:

Reveal that the Brigadier was a time lord all along and bring back all twelve thirteen of them.

and make them all jodie

all of them

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm sad about Davison but that was an incredibly polite rage quit over blowback from some comments he really should've thought through. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HopperUK posted:

There are plenty of nice subtle little character moments in Simm's performance, you just have to look between all the terrible ideas. They went for a Master who was a direct reflection of Tennant's Doctor and they sure got one.

e: I love them both but my taste is probably bad

Everyone's taste in here is bad, including (especially?) mine. Just ask anyone else that isn't them!

• Locked thread