Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Doctor Who is almost as bad as Sherlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

They should do another car season like with Pertwee

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pgroce posted:

I have no reason not to think Jodie Whittaker won't do an excellent job, but man I wish Capaldi could've done at least one more year. Big Finish is great and all, but we were finally done with all the bullshit and he was settled into the character and fabulous. Another season of Bill would have been wonderful too.

And now I'm even going to miss John Simm! He finally gets a few scripts that aren't 100% ham and shows that his Master is every bit as dangerous and evil as the rest of them.

I get why they hit the reset button between showrunners, but there are ways that it doesn't serve the show. Sure, inheriting the previous occupant's dirty laundry is more challenging, but it isn't unfair (they did it in the old series all the time), and it lets the show grow more organically. Missy's arc had at least one more year in it, and the Doctor/Bill relationship, as well as Bill herself, deserved more time. (Nardole was great, but I imagine he'd leave before Bill.) Meanwhile, the crew behind the camera could feel out the show while the acting provided continuity. Now everyone's new and making mistakes all at once.

Oh well, water under the bridge, and like I said, Jodi Whittaker deserves to be judged on her own merits, to say nothing of Chibnall. Just seems a shame to break up the gang just as it was really starting to breathe. I hope she gets more than 1 year introduction, 1 year of "Change is coming!" and 1 year to just be the Doctor.

The less they keep from Steven "Spoilers" Moffat the better. Fuckin hack writer idiots should go away forever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

At the time I had some problems with Rusty Davis's writing, but it's grown on me over the years. I especially appreciate Eccleston's performance; its a shame he didn't really want to stick around because while Tennant is a good actor and did his material well, I don't think he really fit what the doctor had been as well as Eccleston. I guess it's always been the rule that each actor and era has a different take on things, so that's fine. Plus he got to hang out with the Best Companion, Donna Noble!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Plavski posted:

I'm never less than intrigued by the tardis wiki

All I can say is that after a couple years of people being in love with the Doctor it was refreshing to have someone who was just in love with Pringles

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CommonShore posted:

having just rewatched this season I disagree with this. Dalek is also very good.

Yeah, Dalek is really good. In fact it's so good that Moffat stole a bunch of moments from it for a Capaldi episode. "You are a good Dalek," for example, is originally from the Eccleston one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Burkion posted:

The big problem really is, with it, that it is pretty unearned and doesn't carry the same kind of weight and impact that the original did.

But yeah it's super intentional and they built up to it. It just doesn't work as well.

It also has less payoff, I think, because there's not really much potential for character growth in a Moffat series. He seems to prefer shocking revelations to actual characters changing or developing based on things that happen during the show itself (for the most obvious example of this see anything related to River Song)

What happens in Dalek has a very clear result on what happens later in the rest of the season, and on the season finale, and Eccleston seems genuinely upset about it and has to deal with that when he later has to chance to kill all the Daleks a second time.

Plus, in the end, Eccleston is totally up for committing genocide a second time so it's silly to then say later oh well Peter Capaldi Doctor YOU are the angry one

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

One review of Planet Of The Dead pointed out something which redeemed it to me a little bit: it's basically a series opener, with Michelle Ryan as the companion, but at the end of the episode when he would normally invite her to travel with him, instead he turns her down and the series doesn't happen.

It's like a season opener stretched out to feature length for no reason

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

Look I am just saying that the Doctor would absolutely pull a Dalek out of a freezing river if it were chasing him.

christopher eccleston doctor would just laugh and say FANTASTIC

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

peter troughton would play a flute at it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Colin Baker would do whatever was most unfulfilling and disappointing to the viewer in that situation

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lady doctor???!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLF0Sqefcb0

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

moffat: there's a... crack? there's a crack in time and it's from....... something... please stay tuned

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like if RTD had written "The Doctor Falls", it would have started with Cyber-Bill advancing menacingly on the Doctor, only for him to flash the sonic screwdriver at her and instantly zap her out of the suit, all in one piece, then they leg it to the accompaniment of Blondie's "One Way or Another".

I suppose if Moffat had written "The Parting of the Ways", it would have ended with the Doctor telling Rose she can't handle the power of the TARDIS and kissing it out of her before she destroys the Daleks with it, then uses it to destroy them himself while Rose swoons in the background.

:D

it would be revealed that rose's mom is also rose, sent back in time by the power of the vortex

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Moffat and RTD ended up finishing out their time on the show in similar ways, having a big blowout ending and then staying on an extra year to finish out their Doctors' runs. Davies went a bit lower-key for his actual finale than his intended one, while Moffat went the other way and raised the stakes, since the lower key is his key of choice anyway.
I was sure that was going to be the twist with the little black girl in The Doctor Falls. I'd say thank God but Moffat has one episode left to fire that gun...

the little black girl is martha, who will be sent back in time later so she can grow up and then marry mickey

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CobiWann posted:

You never got this type of poo poo with Ten/Donna! :colbert:

Edit - OK, maybe a little bit with Turn Left.

Edit 2 - What ending where she gets her mind erased? You must be mental, I don't remember that at all!

Exciting Adventurous Donna Noble was sent back in time to become Boring Donna Noble Who Hates Her Life And Wants To Kill Herself.

Twice.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 30, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

but seriously donna was cool and it sucks how her story ended. like at least martha got to remember what happened

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marktheando posted:

Lol

I actually started rewatching the revival because my plan to finally watch all of Colin Baker failed. Couldn't get through Trial of a Time Lord. I'd rather watch the worst of Tennent's era.

If you haven't seen McCoy's stuff do that, it's good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

matt smith and david tennant are fine actors but their doctors are too perfect and it's kind of annoying. matt smith in particular got saddled with a lot of ridiculous over the top things which he always handled perfectly and understood instantly because he was the Best Person In The Universe. Personally, I enjoy the older stuff where the doctor is really smart of course but still somewhat fallible and flawed.

That's not at all the actors' fault, of course, and they did a good job with the material they were given. Really, I don't think any of the Doctor actors over the years have been bad; it's always just dependent on what scripts they're given.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'd argue that the Tenth Doctor was full of flaws, which made him an arguably more compelling character than he's given credit for, but the jury is out on whether the writers recognized those as flaws, and the narrative is pretty wishy-washy about it.

he's maybe supposed to be arrogant and overconfident, possibly, but that all falls apart because he's literally always right. and sometimes he arbitrarily decides he doesn't like people... but then they always turn out to be bad people or evil somehow afterwards so he's always ultimately vindicated

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Who can forget that classic episode of Doctor Who where he arbitrarily decided he didn't like someone but they turned out to be a bad person or evil somehow so he was ultimately vindicated.

is that the one where he uses a time device to fix the thing?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Forktoss posted:

The Unfixed Thing is a really good first episode but The Device of Time is a pretty underwhelming conclusion to that two-parter

it was good the first time but the writers keep bringing the unfixed thing back and it kind of ruins it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The doctor is turned into a woman and sent back in time to become Romana

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

someone suggest a peter davison story please

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/bX979bY.gifv

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

people don't like them because they mostly only appear in crap episodes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i kind of wish modern doctor who would do confusing space culture references more. tom baker for lyfe yo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/Zkl0SV2.gifv

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

2house2fly posted:

*an idea is repeated* this idea is being run into the ground

*an idea is not repeated* this idea is bullshit or it would have been repeated

Either of those things can be true depending on circumstances

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that's a problem Moffat and RTD both ran into from time to time. They'd set up these great cliffhangers then the resolution would be disappointing. When it happened with Moffat, it's the aforementioned habit of doing a time skip to after the Doctor and co. got out of jeopardy. When RTD ran afoul of it, it's the Doctor whipping out the sonic screwdriver and getting out of trouble that way (main example that occurs to me is "Rise of the Cybermen" into "Age of Steel").

I posted previously:

rtd was bad at cliffhanger payoffs but moffat's cliffhangers are always set up over the entire season which makes them even less fulfilling, imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

RTD did whole season ones that paid off really badly too. Remember how Bad Wolf turned out to mean... Bad Wolf?

yeah bad wolf was stupid, i know, but on the other hand the real way that cliffhanger was resolved is rose breaking into the tardis and saving him. which is fine

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marktheando posted:

Let's Kill Hitler. Oh yes Mels, the best friend we've never mentioned before. How is this poo poo just a year after the wonderful series five?

Thanks to the specials and the hiatus Moffat had like three years to plan out series five. Series six, not so much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It would have been funny if they did all that stuff with Mels and then eventually revealed her last name..... was BUSH

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kris Marshall will get pregnant with Doctor Who's baby and they'll leave the baby in a barn on Gallifrey

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

marktheando posted:

The idea of parents coming to terms with their kid being raised by an evil cult and brainwashed into an assassin because she becomes good as an adult is really really stupid. It's impossible to salvage it.

They would want to rescue their baby as a baby. And it's not like it's too late- they have access to a time machine!

plus amy and rory trying to get their baby back even though it'd be a paradox would imo be a better way to do that season's climax than river not wanting to kill doctor who. instead of the weird bullshit half-conclusion where river accepts she has to kill her husband but WHOA HES NOT DEAD FOOLED YOU, amy and rory could legit have to give up their daughter to save the universe. like the conclusion of Wedding of River Song isn't that it's wrong to change history but rather that they were just not as good at it as the Doctor

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I just rewatched Love and Monsters.

1) I really like the "outside of the Doctor's adventures looking in" perspective and they should do it in more episodes.

2) The absorbtion monster is stupid.

3) The "oh my mother died that night" part is awful because any sane person would assume the Doctor killed his mother.

4) I like the human characters otherwise.

5) The resolution is stupid. Why would the doctor condemn someone to a living hell as a paving stone?

she can still give blowjobs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

donna was better than clara

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Martha was in love with him that was her sole characteristic

Nuh uh, she also had a cell phone so that's two things

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doctor is willing to gently caress up time and space to save Clara but not his wife or mother-in-law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

Who would be the weirdest New Who character to bring back? I reckon Rickey. It'd be awesome.

Bring back Astrid

• Locked thread