Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Breaking from the current topic but I think it's interesting looking at how Target has managed to establish itself as "Better than Walmart" and a huge part of it is that they're not actually open 24 hours a day

Target operating on "regular sleep hours plus 2 hours either way" had a massive centralizing impact on their status as "the retailer that's just like you"

tbf if Target was open 24 hrs a day, I don't think it would change anyone's perception. Its just economically not viable to be open or else they def would be. I think its more to do with branding, "upscale" decor, more emphasis on keeping things looking sleek, artisinal instagram bougie colors n furniture and stuff that appeals to the 20-something demographic, and well, just Not Being Walmart.

Also a lot of Walmarts are not actually open 24 hrs either, at least here in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Goon Danton posted:

See? Number go up! Me tell you. Me good economist.

revenues down, but killed some jobs to balance it out, numbers go up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fknlo posted:

As mentioned, that was Ford. GM is slashing sedan production though, as get this, no one is buying sedans. Sedan sales are down massively across pretty much all brands.

yea lmao everyone is back to buying ford F350 HD 4K Extra-extended cab small dick edition FREEDOM patriot quatro-hemiram edition trucks

2007 here we come babby! HECK YES

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
tbf sedans are kinda lovely, most people have realized the superiority in like hatchbacks, and i think those sales might be doing OK? depends if they're counted differently

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Goon Danton posted:

I've been on team hatchback since I spent a summer loading cars at Lowe's. Those gigantic pre-crash SUVs couldn't fit anything in the back because of how bulky everything in them was designed. Hatchbacks were always great, it's like they could fit things that were bigger than the car.
:yeah: I have a 2001 accord but was a convert after basically being given and driving my company's 2011 prius everywhere, its so loving good and will never not buy a hatchback. I have fit my whole bike in it, fit pre-assembled wheelbarrows in it for a job site, fit like 800 lbs of wood rock-core boxes, and just shitload of construction equipment/supplies. all while being small and easy to drive around in cities (i.e. where people want to live). most people never use the back seats, so sacraficing trunk for either passengers or turbo trunk room is good and lets a car be small and easy to maneuver, parallel park, good mpg, etc

meanwhile my accord is a piece of poo poo, the trunk juts out and makes it longer than it needs to be, and even when you fold down the seats you get awful clearance so might as well just not have a trunk and save like 3-ft or more on car length so it can get around easier.

sedans are dumb and worthless and hatchabcks look cool. i will agree coupes are the most stylish but that's their only function

but all cars are bad and ban private automobiles, they are a cancerous scourge upon the planet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
PENSIONS!!! :argh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Woof Blitzer posted:

So what's the recession plan then

lower interest rates to 0

o wait.. they arleady are

uhhhh, negative interest rates!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Alternatively, it was a glimpse into a not too far future where almost the entire workforce just works a dozen gig/part times, or is some sort of renteer parasite.

our unemployment would be well over 10% if we discounteded gig economy work, and even worse if it werent for multiple part-time poo poo

all the part time gig poo poo has made our unemployment looked good over the past 8 years, but its super lovely and everything is currently a very bad house of cards

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
why doesnt britain just not brexit???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ScrubLeague posted:

GE has been in horrible shape for a long time.

dont they get a lot of money out of the military industiral grifting complex tho? that should keep em going in ok shape i would think

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ripoff posted:

massive_load_shot_at_ron_paul_screaming_its_happening.gif

Someone get the slide whistle sound effects ready, we’re in for the Trump Depression!

excuse me its the ANGRY OBSTRUCTIONIST DEMOCRAP DEPRESSION.

they shouldnt have stolen the house

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

can I get a cheap house with minimal down yet

only if you want to live remotely in chudstown, idaho or sisterfuck, mississipi

housing is never goign to be cheap in a coastal state again no matter how depressiony we get.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Goon Danton posted:

The best leading indicator of recessions is the number of financial press articles assuring everyone that things definitely aren't falling apart, no sir

this, although we've had a number of articles since like 2015 abou t how its not falling apart, i think a bit more in recent times. would be interesting to compare vs like 2007

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

peak oil is pretty much debunked now tbh

is it? i'm honestly curious. from what I understand obviously its not like mayan end of the world 2006 era peakoil.com bullshit, but the more easier reserves are getting tapped out and having to go to other deeper reserves which were previously more expensive but technology has improved a bit to make it more viable or something, especially offshore. and tapping like artic polar bear homes or something too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol we're so so utterly hosed on every level not even just climate change if we're still using oil to any significant degree besides some lovely farm tractors in 50 years

spoiler: we will be

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

GameStop Reports Third Quarter Loss of $488.6 Million

imo I’m surprised they are still around

physics media is dead for pc, and virtually dead for consoles too. I’d give it another year or two before they shutter completely? maybe a few stores in major cities like Seattle, sf and nyc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mycomancy posted:

"Oh, an opinion from the Wall Street Journal? This will definitely be a useful article!"

loving :thermidor: the lot of them.

Fake edit: eat the pennies Pissboy.

wsj is owned by rupert murdick lol amazing people forget htat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shifty Pony posted:

debeers is evil but they are experts at marketing that evil.

wife has a moissanite ring and it is fantastic. I think debeers is panicked about how much traction those were getting (seriously any mention of diamonds on reddit will spawn hundreds of "get a moissanite" responses), especially because they look to get even more affordable soon as the patent on the production process expires.

when does the patent expire?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

CoL in Germany is ~850 euro, which is... 960 USD

Rent is 200 to 350 euro

Average income in Germany is 2800 euro a month

Maybe I should move to Germany
yeah I was only in Berlin for several days but it was amazing. super functional public transit running 24/7, always on time and clean and quick. so many bike lanes and very pleasureble nad relaxing biking around, and lots of cool architecture and all the amenitites of a very modern and clean city with shittons of great food for cheap.

would move there in a heartbeat if i could, unfortunately my job has me with better prospects in countries with earthquakes/sinking coasts and poor soil, germany has very little relevant. i have much much better chance at NZ, which is kinda a lovely lolbertarian regressive place but still better htan US at least

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

looking forward to re-watching Children of Men in 2027 and seeing how overly optimistic it was

lol yeah pretty much

loving crazy that movie, i havent seen it since like 2008 but id imagine its even more depressing now, prolly should do that next weekend

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

a really good way to present your data is with a chart that is half blank because there is no data for that period

~WaT Does THe FUTURE HOLD??~~ THE POSSIBILITIES are ENDLESS!!

bitscoin to the moon nextday, invest invest buyt buy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Victory Position posted:

what in the gently caress is a starter home, a purposely lovely house?
basically an exburb/suburb tracthouse in a cul de sac outside a major/med city that was probably built 60s-early 90s and cheap, like my parents bought one outside santa rosa for like 100k in late 80s. now they're like half a million lol

they dont exist anymore bc the investor class and babby bombers has realized they can control the market since supply is fixed thx to nimbys and dont move out anyways.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what even is a luxury apartment

a place that costs $ therefore its luxury

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
come on man tis is simple economics! if it costs a lot it's luxury because it costs a lot!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sharing a bathroom with strangers suuuuuuucks

yeah for real. sros are good if they have personal bathrooms, but shared bathrooms is the worst loving thing since people are gross. doubly gross that you are probably going to be sharing it with grosser than avearge peeps

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

so like, trumno is probably firing j powell and putting in another lovely stooge who lowers fed rates to like 0.5%. i assume that'll push a recession off a year or two? what exactly are the longer terms implications if they drop rates back to near 0%

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I'm not really sure that matters

yeah i dont think that matters. either j powell caves to tromp and it gets dropped back to like sub 1% or he fires him and gets somneone that does. or hell lets say the fed board goes ok ya we're dying here lets go back to 0.25% on their own whim, i guess all that would be doing would be buying 6 months and then make things worse when it happens? idk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

theyre not gonna bring the prices down ever

yeah basically. they've learned nerds will pay exorbitant prices for htem and buttcoin miners will as well.

I hope ATI does light more fires under nvidia by coming out with cards that just blow them away with huge price/performance differences but it's more likely they'll just also price htem hihgly because nvidia is and amd is stupid as poo poo and wonder why no one is buying their stuuff still

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Poniard posted:

every fuxking day I roll in to a job that should not exist but does anyway due to the military industrial cumplex. im late as hell and ready to uphold share z0ne thought. i get in arguments with everybody about policy and law poo poo and so my boss thinks im trying to do work. i talk about workers rights and what salary exempt means to my co-workers and get in trouble for making fun of the marines all the drat time. i take a ream of printer paper and go home around lunch time.

that sounds A+ excellent

that reminds me of one of my favorite goon stories, which many people say is false but honestly totally 100% believable especially early 00s.

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheDon01 posted:

That's really nothing spectacular. Probably would have had similar effects from coca-cola, vinegar or citrus juices. All have a pH around 2-3, the bonded calcium in concrete is particularly sensitive to acid erosion, especially if you leave it soaking overnight.

Dont drink energy drinks anyway, they're terrible for you in other ways

yeah. I was hospitalized with my first ever ambulance ride back in January after having like a 5 minute long blackout seizure infront of my bosses. that was real fun. I think it was due to a confluence of factors like I wasn't sleeping well that week due to a proposal, I hadn't eaten anything all day except a Monster zero an hr or so before. Probably the combination of poor sleep+no food+Monster did me in.

i'm not gunna risk taking one ever again.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

They're also extremely homogeneous countries thanks to all the population shifts after WWII. It's a lot easier to vote for something that helps your neighbor when all your neighbors look like you.

Not exactly playing devil's advocate since I'm as big a Bernie fan as the next guy but that's a hurdle I don't see Americans specifically clearing.

yeah and we're already seeing europe buckle into fascism as more brown refugees show up to make a better life for themselves (thanks to america ruining n destabilizating hundo millions of peoples lives, + climate change), and it doesn't fit in their lily white homogeneous society. hell look the loving UK decided to tank their entire economy because ~brown people~ and other countries have elected fascists into various positions of power or have got really close to doing it lmao. i guess america is doing the same thing, and has been for like the last 100 years so we're still 10000x worse. but yeah need to convince all the mushy brain white midwesterners that no it's actually good for you, and welfare queens or w/e don't exist and even if they did who cares, eat da rich.

i don't believe it's in human's nature to be innately disapproving to varying degrees (from slavery to 'ok we'll tolerate you but....') of people and things that don't look like them, but it's def been the case for like last several thousands of years b/c white people are bad and have propagated their badness for thousands of yearss, and even in the more progressive places on earth it's still pretty bad.

we need to abolish every form of private schools, consolidate and evacuate suburbs, delete the senate, mandatory election day as a holiday, and also guillotine all rich people. that's a start.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 5, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

935 posted:

That's one hell of an act. What do you call it?

the america

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

quote:

And yet it never made its way into law. Most employers despised the plan, calling it a job killer. The proposal would have left them with an unpleasant choice: either cap their workers at 40 hours, or start paying them more for their extra work. They sued to stop it from going into effect
]
oh god no the horror. having to have them work no more than 40 hrs?? THE ECONOMY WOULD BE DOOMED. thank god for TRUMO for MAGAing AMERICA!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I know someone who had a similar experience. doc recommended and prescribed three drugs, insurance only covered two as if the doctor didn’t know what she was doing and should be overruled by a paper pusher who hadn’t seen the patient and has a monetary interest in not covering what’s actually prescribed.

there’s hardly any rhyme or reason to what insurance does and doesn’t cover, they arbitrarily refuse to cover poo poo because it’s likely the patient won’t fight back and the insurance company will get away with it.

yikes. As poo poo as Kaiser Permanente is, I feel grateful I live in California and have it because living in a state where you have to have Aetna or something sounds awful.

Kaiser is at least pretty good with clear delineations of coverage in the plan, you have a pretty clear structure of what to do and get, and if something is prescribed or need a test it'll be covered (if sometimes a small co-pay). you really do have to be your own advocate though, if you're going in there meek and timid you are probably gunna have a lovely time where you may very well be sent home with diet+exercise + a prescribed bottle of ibuprofen.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gotta suck that wealth up before it dries up adn then dump the toxic dessicated corpse of a failed asset onto pension and retirement funds :hellyeah:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Judakel posted:

Here's hoping they don't allow for that to happen.
my man, this is how the stock market works. look at CalPers, poo poo is just a dumping grounds for failing and questional assets to ensure the uber-rich can extract all da profits quickly and early with insider trading circle jerks and everything. it's a feature, not a bug.

the only reason people don't notice is because we're in NUMBERS GO UP phase still, so it looks like they're still carrying along just fine, but once poo poo starts receeding, oh boy! can't wait for everyones retirement, especially many public pension funds, to go tits up with cries over lack of funds and then cuts and all that good stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i plan on dying at my desk after pulling back to like 20 hour weeks sometime in my 60s

it just doesn't make good financial sense to quit working during my most valuable per-hour labor years as a white collar worker
ya same, assuming i dont die fighting nazis instead

my boss is like 70-something and probably never going to retire. also work with a lot of consultants in their 70s+ that just do some independent work whenever.

~~~experience~~~~

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

lyft at fuckign $85 a share lmfao

ive dabbled in short-term robinhood before, and these ipos generally seem to follow a same trend: for about a week they rocket a bit up from IPO price because FOMO and everyone else thinking they're getting on this great new momentum, then around 5days later it starts falling because buyers remorse and ohgod this company is actually bad and panic sets in and it drops below ipo and just sits there very slowly declining forever awaiting The Big Crash. if you wanted to make an easy hundo bucks to a grand, momentum trading out the gate can give you a cool 10% roi in a few days, though youd have to pay short-term cap gains.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah it’s important to know when the lockout dates for employees expire because that’s usually your first big dip

yeah definitely. usually 180-days but sometimes can be longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mila kunis posted:

seriously whos buying this stuff and why. lyft is a sinkhole of massive losses and they will never turn it around, what the gently caress
it latestage capitalism my dude and institutions have no real way to keep pumping wealth and getting massive returns and just have to make dumb gambits on tech and VC and stock n housing speculation.

it doesn't matter it's a sinkhole. tesla is a flaming dumpster fire and people love it. same for twitter et al. what matters is the perception that people have and most people think tesla and lyft and uber are some great thing. and then you can get into perception of perception of ad nausea.

also stocks have no realworld bearing on company performance or economy, which we all know but bears repeating because just because a company sucks rear end doesn't matter.

and remember, lots of rich elite hold keys to pension and retirement funds so even if it's a massive toxic asset, they can still get out with da profits and throw it on the backs of CalPers and poo poo when economy tanks.