Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Do your neighbors rent their cars? Like that Cadillac rental service?

Because loving with a mans' car is a real bitch move. Such a bitch move that I hope someone crimps your fuel line just enough so your car starts, but dies any time you press the accelerator.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol literally "never gently caress with a man's car"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

my body is ready

Apr 7, 2003

succ posted:

75k jobs vs. 180k estimate

gently caress yeah

Apr 7, 2003

Testvan posted:

Number up because bad job report means the fed more likely to suck the number's dick sooner
cool

IBM just laid off 1700 people, really bad sign

Apr 7, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the real bad sign is when banks start laying people off because that means they’re fishing for pennies to cover the trillions in worthless bonds they hold

BNY Mellon has been laying people off here every month this year.

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget that they're free to arbitrarily withhold aid to anyone their religious doctrine can be interpreted to exclude

catholics are totally cool with kicking homosexuals, unwed pregnant women, transpeople, and even guys who pull out to the curb for example

Gonna have to quit pulling out if I want those churchbucks

Apr 7, 2003

Piss

Apr 7, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

*young people try to buy starter family home*

*gets sniped by berkshire hathaway or some other billionaire gently caress on the first public sell date with an all cash offer*

This has been happening for a decade or more, right now.

A capital fund in Georgia has been loving working people for a decade now by having a realtor license and software that evaluates houses to pull desirable properties off to rent them before end buyers ever see them.

My old landlord that I sued here was doing something similar.

Apr 7, 2003

ChipNDip posted:

Pensions also relied on the stock market. Really what's changed is that we now expect a huge number people to live for 20+ years after they stop working, which was not the case in the past.

Incorrect

Low life expectancies back in the day were mostly due to childhood morality. If you made it to adulthood, you were likely gonna make it your sixties barring an accident.

“Everyone in 1609 died at age 34” is dumb poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this is not what they're saying

yes you could easily live to 65, which was always the retirement age. the new thing is that medicine has advanced to the point where particularly rich (or just lucky) retirees can make it to their late 80s and spend all that time sucking down fascist brainwashing and leathering their skin on the golf course

Wrong.

The problem isn’t life expectancy, the problem is end of life care. The costs are the same whether you’re 60 or 80.

Apr 7, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Are you thinking of insurance? The other goon said pensions.

There isn’t a real difference, a pension is insurance against poverty until you die. Anyone offering a pension should have poo poo worked out.

Apr 7, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

this happened to me a non-zero amount of times in pittsburgh. i wound up having to use my realtor's connections to buy something pre-market which is probably a racket but gently caress it at least i finally have a place

I live in a loser neighborhood no one wants to live in, have you considered doing that

Apr 7, 2003

News from four blocks away

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/06/06/gator-in-beechview/

Apr 7, 2003

Christoph posted:

The trick is to find a realtor who is willing to dig for off-market properties, not pre-market (WTF, I've never even heard of that). With off-market you never have to deal with bidding wars and you're not hurried.

I work for a realtor and we do off-market searches when clients ask for it, often after they put in an offer for something and lose out by multiple bids. All a realtor really has to do is go on the MLS, find someone who tried to sell their house but didn't for whatever reason (expireds) and call/knock to see if they'd be willing to let a buyer check the place out. Sometimes we do letter campaigns.

It's extremely time consuming for the realtor. Most realtors are lazy and lack the basic skillset of their own chosen profession. But if you're able to ferret out a competent one, it's worth it.

Pretty much every normal person is going to have to do the above to find a house in the future. Any time a normal semi-affordable house comes on the market here (Portland) it's an instant bidding war that puts it back up to $400k.

I bought in a non-trendy neighborhood. I'm a ten minute ride on light rail from downtown. My total property taxes are $810 a year because my house is underassessed. I paid $120K for an 1800 square foot house - no garage or driveway but that's fine, we don't drive anywhere anyway.

We have multiple grocery stores within walking distance.

I wonder what most of America would pay for what I outlined.

Apr 7, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

half the places sniped out from under me were in dormont!

A lot of dormont buyers are people who would have bought on Mt Lebanon before 2010 when prices went apeshit

Apr 7, 2003

Powershift posted:

How is this not from the onion

how is this not against laws against company scrip

how is anything

*peter griffin voice* laws don't matter, lois. frickin' sweeet

Apr 7, 2003

GEMorris posted:

Lol re: Pittsburgh housing chat, as I've been looking at that market for awhile now as a potentially better-climate-change location than north carolina.

Some of the options there seem like comically good deals compared to most other housing markets.

Weirdly tho, a large portion of the listings dont include sq ft #s for some reason.

It's a county law for some reason, go to http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Default.aspx and plug the address in

Apr 7, 2003

I mean that there’s a county level law prohibiting listing square footage on a listing for some reason.

Apr 7, 2003

Goon Danton posted:

They're called Pittsburgh Bathrooms and they're ubiquitous here, for reasons I'm not entirely clear on but almost definitely relate to coal mining somehow

I don’t have a Pittsburgh toilet, but I do have a shower head between the floor beams down in the basement.

Apr 7, 2003

cool, now do bottled waer

Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'd rather live passably for four decades than live like an ascetic for six

yep

Apr 7, 2003

LEADING FINANCIAL ADVISOR SAYS INHALING OXYGEN IS COSTING YOU YOUR RETIREMENT

Apr 7, 2003

Probably a bad idea to invest in a instrument used mostly for buying drugs and for laundering organized crime money

Apr 7, 2003

succ posted:

imagine what a well funded public works program could do for this country. we have amazing logistics and technology to solve all of our problems.

instead it is utilized for profit

The money spent on one plane, the F-35, could pay all student debt in the country off with ~200b left over

Apr 7, 2003

if you gotta work overtime to afford a decent lifestyle, you aren't middle class.

Apr 7, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Word of warning, if you think your house/car/condo is insured right now it might not be. There are signs that major insurance companies are realizing that if they all just stop paying out claims at once, no one can do anything about it -- partially because it's illegal (or against mortgage contracts) not to have insurance. The money that's rightfully yours to pay for a covered repair might not be coming.

State Farm has started blanket denying every single claim regarding covered house foundation leaks, regardless of the claim's merit. My public adjuster has had to stop taking State Farm clients with that issue because there's no legal remedy and State Farm doesn't budge on it.

Liberty Mutual was bought by Safeco, and they're starting to issue soft denials (not formal ones that they're legally responsible for) and clamming up on a large number of clients, at least the ones who have the same public adjuster as me. Not something he has seen before with them, and they were allegedly a good company before the Safeco aquisition. Liberty Mutual is now spending all that money on masses of stupid ostrich ads on TV to get more customers instead of paying any of the existing customers now. Sounds like a grab and run move on the part of the CEO.

lol home insurance policies are loving worthless anyway, they don't cover anything you could possibly want them to cover as a homeowner.

Their sole purpose for existing is to make the bank that holds your mortgage whole. Any idea that they might help you as a homeowner is a lie.

Apr 7, 2003

Zeno-25 posted:

Also advice from a 2009 grad. Unless you have a good job lined up after grad just stay in school. I wish I had finished my history minor instead of working at Home Depot

comedy option: 2001 grad

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

i graduated in 2006, entered a phd (yearly stipend of usd 11,000), left in 2008 with a free masters when i saw no shot at a career in academia and had developed depression. only job i could get was as a guidance counselor for a degree mill teachers college part-time making like 20k, since so many people were out of work trying to leverage their old history major into a new career there was demand for new hires to get them signed up for stupid loans and in classes asap. got free teaching degree working there and taking night class (only had to pay tax on the classes value). then i got a part time teaching gig as a long term substitute in 2010 and worked both jobs to put together enough money to rent a place and eventually got the full time teachers job in 2012.

tldr: recession period took me 6 years to get fully employed post graduation and i relied on my parents for money/connections to get healthy and find new career path. i also lucked into a lot of free stuff along the way. ymmv in the next bubble burst

I entered the workforce just in time for the 2001 recession, the 2000s were a lost decade for anyone who came of age then.

Apr 7, 2003

Crakkerjakk posted:

I just recently got turned down for a face to face interview due to the personality test only being a "50% match" instead of their preferred "80% match" for the personality profile they were looking for in the position. Relatively fancy position. It was for a privately owned company whose original owners are still in charge, I assume they're just way too bought into the HR gimmick bullshit.

It was gonna be a 15 min bike ride from my house. :/

I got completely shitfaced for the phone interview for my current job and aced it while drunk. They never even asked for me to interview in person.

Alcohol gets you jobs.

Apr 7, 2003

Once you're past the entry level in any given job, they aren't interviewing for competence. They're interviewing to see if you're a 'culture fit.' That means "can I hang out and drink with this person."

Just get drunk before the phone interview.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm a high school dropout and completely incapable of managing any real job anywhere.

My entire career is based on being fun to drink with.

Apr 7, 2003

also true

Apr 7, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

August 18, 2019:

December 7, 2007:

- larry kudlow

you act like facts matter

those people will scream "EVERYTHING IS GREAT, OWNED YET LIBS" as their shanty collapses on their heads

Apr 7, 2003

Teal posted:

yeah my biggest regret was straining my ADHD stricken rear end with dumbass machine learning poo poo and electronics engineering and not being a carpenter or a cook

like, I don't at all wanna imply these jobs are easy or that the people doing them have it easy but for a fact at least my off-time wouldn't feel like my brain has been wrung like a dish sponge so my boss can make an order of magnitude more money while I would be doing about as much, if not more, as a successful carpenter

I was a phone / cable linesman for five years

trades suck real bad

I sit in a chair and do computer poo poo now for three times the money I made back then

Apr 7, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Being a “contractor” for a cable company is not the same as being a licensed electrician pulling down a good wage as part of a union or being the the X-ray machine dude at the hospital

probably not, but the vast majority of people are going to fit in the "contractor" category, not the licensed electrician category.

Apr 7, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its funny how you manage to be a dumb classist even in this poo poo

The sooner their shacks collapse on their heads, the better.

Apr 7, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

tayne is a classist who hates poor people and cheers for their death. scrooge level shithead

You're too loving stupid to understand what poor people think about other poor people. Die in a fire.

Apr 7, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang needs to be unmodded because he is too loving stupid to understand what it's like to live in America in 2019.

Apr 7, 2003

Somehow, Sheng-Ji Yang has managed to get rights to moderate these forums. he is dumb and retarded, and shouldn't be in charge of a hot dog stand, let alone these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

You seem real mad about that sixer.
You're loving right I'm mad