Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Eh, let them put it out this year so they can get started on a new Baten Kaitos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Looks like bestbuy.com has both gray and neon in stock right now.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

I've seen fixes for the d-pad that involve opening the controller up and putting scotch tape over parts of the contacts or inserting small bits of cardboard under the center pivot, so I think it's just poorly designed!

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

More about this.

Nintendo is also doing a Nindies @ Night stream. Hoping Hollow Knight gets a release date, as always.

Also also, Project Octopath is part of Squenix's TGS lineup. Very excited to finally see it!

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

It's challenging, yeah

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Suda has descended to bring us all peace and masturbation jokes

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Frankston posted:

How do I beat the brigand boss in octopath? I just don't have enough healing items to tank the fight and I don't do enough damage to kill anyone before the boss KO's me with his special attack.

Just Break him whenever he uses Bide, then hit him very hard. Repeat until victorious.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

aware of dog posted:

How big a file is Golf Story?

eshop says it's 893MB.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So far Steamworld Dig 2 deserves more accolades for character, music, novelty and surprise factor than golf story. Golf story is a chill little game but the hype is not really warranted

Actually, both games are good.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Darkest Dungeon is another good game! I never played it much after it left early access, but I'll probably buy it again just because I want to make progress.

imnotinsane posted:

Is Thimbleweed Park on the switch any good? The trailer looks fun but haven't really played any point and click adventure games for a long time.

I don't regret my time with it, but the back half through the finale feels kind of hollow and bad. Maybe watch the first or second chapter and see if the humor works for you.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Isn't Tangledeep a goon-made roguelike? I doubt we're getting Shiren anytime soon so it could be cool.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

That reminds me, what happened to Pocket Rumble?

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If they do this right it could be the best motion control game on the console.

Good news!

https://twitter.com/YoungHorses/status/926186327900639232

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

RE Revelaitons (2?) uses the IR camera for reloading your gun, and that’s out next week.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Bamco's hosting its own event on the 15th.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Does anyone know anything about Dragon Fang Z? Googling is failing to turn up anything for me but a brief description and a trailer. The idea of a true roguelike on the Switch has certainly got my interest.

I can tell you that if feels machine translated, but if you've played a traditional roguelike before then you know what to expect and are getting exactly that. I've made it about halfway down according to the game's own progress log, and the speed with which I can boot up and start a run means I've put more time into it this week than Gungeon.
Skills come in the form of "fangs" that drop randomly from monsters, and you can equip them to use later (once they've charged up) or spend them immediately for an immediate benefit.
There's also a "brave" system for weapons that I haven't wrapped my head around fully yet, but it seems like you can accrue points by standing in place during combat to unlock certain abilities on weapons, and those points diminish once you start moving again. Maybe.
There are monster houses and items with random effects (different magical rods, in this case), and ranged monsters can accidentally kill each other while trying to kill you, causing them to evolve. Things can get pretty hectic, but it feels good to use every item in your inventory to power through a bullshit situation.
There's also a sort of puzzle room mode that tests your understanding of the game's systems by requiring you to follow certain steps in order to reach the stairs alive.

I'm enjoying my time with it and haven't had any issues aside from the quality of the translation sometimes getting in the way of item descriptions.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Did that NBA jam lookalike ever become good? Also what's a good rhythm game on here? I see harmonix put something out but it looks pretty iffy. Might grab thumper or voez or whatever the other game the voez people put out is called.

Superbeat is a good rhythm game with lots of content if you haven't played it elsewhere, although it was clearly made with Sony's symmetrical pad layout in mind and can take time to adjust to.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's really great game design that they tell you you need 20 shock arrows to get on to Divine beast ruhta, but they don't tell you that you need a bunch more regular arrows, so you can just completely run out in the middle and have to reload so you can go to town and buy arrows. I'm pretty sure almost every game since the 80's knew not to do poo poo like this, but not BOTW apparently. Ran into this bullshit both times I played it.

Use your ice power on the ice blocks

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

In your defense, they should probably have had some ice formations in the environment for players to interact with before they leave the plateau. The "I don't have enough arrows!" thing used to come up all the time.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

RatHat posted:

They look exactly the same as your own ice pillars though.

No I agree, but you may not have even thought about cryonis and ice pillars for 20+ hours, depending on how you play. I know someone who put the game down back at launch because they ran out of arrows at the boss (spoilers: use cryonis some more), got overwhelmed, and just never played again.

Never take your gaming proficiency for granted, I guess is the lesson here

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

hcreight posted:

I wonder if this'll be Nintendo's latest attempt at "kid friendly" voice chat.

Wii Speak was such a Nintendo thing, I'm not prepared for them to top it.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

I don't think I saw it posted here, but Owlboy is Feb. 13.

Hammer Bro. posted:

How accommodating are the controls in Darkest Dungeon if I want to play it in handheld mode without ever touching the screen?

I got to play about an hour of it on a computer recently, and I don't know that I'll be able to wait until an entirely-speculative physical release maybe comes out on March 22nd.

I would never call the controls good, but given the pace of the game I'd say they're passable. I still make mistakes sometimes when trying to bounce between inventory and navigation, but it's nothing I've had to pay for in blood.
Touching the screen seems like it would be even more difficult with how small the icons and text are, TBH. But game is good.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

He's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45elF-Suth0

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

repeating posted:

Am I broken? I've tried every combination of buttons to start the first quest after the tutorial in Darkest Dungeon and I feel like i'm getting 9th-dimensional dark souls outclassed on the main menu.

Maybe right stick?

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

It is region locked during Splatfest, though. Since you're playing Japanese Splatoon, you'll only see posts by Japanese squids/those with Japanese copies of the game until Splatfest ends.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope kirby is out by may. Want me some kirby this summer

March 16 is that

Oh top of the page uhhh

The Manticore fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 6, 2018

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh when they give da date?

Direct Mini last month.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah, I died to the first real boss and was relieved to have only dropped some salt, since I had just spent most of it on upgrades anyway. Only real sticking point for me at the moment is the map system, but Dandara's definitely cool and has good music.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

For portable devices like the Switch, you're constantly using the battery, even when you're docked and plugged in. Zelda uses more juice than a lot of Switch games, so you recover charge more slowly.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

I never found a way to play Voez that was both comfortable and effective at higher difficulties. It has the squishy, lenient beats a lot of mobile rhythm games suffer from that I just find kind of unsatisfying to play. I do like some of the tracks, though, and they keep adding more for free every few months.

Also I think you still can't favorite songs? Kind of a pain with the expanding tracklist.

Unrelated, but they announced DJ Max Encore for 3DS well over a year ago, and I don't think that's going to happen. Respect would be perfect for the Switch (with all the PSP imagery intact).

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Regarding Kirby controls, there's a section in the menus where it lists the control scheme as Type A. I assume that means there are other configurations, but nothing was available in the demo.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Augus posted:

How is Earth Wars? The low price is tempting but man those visuals don't appeal to me at all

Repetitive from the start and not very good, but it’s a whole lot of content for a fiver. I got a few hours out of it and knew what I was getting into, but I had some spare credit on the Japanese eshop and not a lot of ways to get rid of it. Hard to recommend outside of that.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

The right con's stick position is painful with extended use for something like Gungeon, but the shorter height and throw on the left con feels great with stuff like Celeste. I basically never use the grip though because having my arms free at my sides just feels better.

I also did the tape fix on my pro a while back, which worked fine, but something went wrong during reassembly and now I can't press Y too hard without activating Home.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Here is a list of RPGs on any Nintendo system released in 2001 in the US:

Golden Sun
Aidyn Chronicles: the First Mage
Breath of Fire

It was a dark time

I bought and completed Aidyn Chronicles with my own teen money when it came out. It's actually worse than most people remember.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Kirby is one of my favorite franchises, but I'm holding off for a price drop on this one. Eventually the allure of Rick and Marx and probably Nago will be too great, but the focus on partners does nothing for me right now.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd wager they go for a Pokemon Trainer style character, with the Blade standing in the background while Rex fights swapping between Pyra/Mythra and maybe one other. And probably Pneuma being the Final Smash.

That's a lot of energy spaghetti in 8-player smash, but I'd be down for something like this.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Team Cherry tweeted that there’s no Hollow Knight in tomorrow’s direct, but they should have a release date later this week.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Also Crashlands and Nidhogg 2, apparently.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

this is almost as dumb as when they forgot to add "oh yeah and we also have a 2D Metroid on 3DS coming out soon, peace" at E3 last year, AFTER the main presentation.

This was insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://www.destructoid.com/stardew-valley-works-great-in-co-op-and-you-can-test-it-out-right-now-on-steam-501003.phtml

Did I hallucinate that time they said on Nintendo Direct that Stardew multiplayer was coming to Switch first?

It'll be the first console version to get co-op. A lot of games in that direct had an invisible footnote like this.

• Locked thread