Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo they actually brought back TWEWY :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Who else is hyped as hell for a port of a ten year old game (The World Ends With You?)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

slev posted:

Depends on if they are really going to charge $60 for it or not

I think the price is 40?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ullerrm posted:

It depends on what the combat mechanic ends up being.

The Android/iOS ports got rid of the puck-passing and "separate controls for separate characters" mechanic and just turned your partner into a dedicated pin, which was good for mobile but detracted from the game's novelty and challenge considerably :( The trailer looks like they may have done some sort of port/hybrid of the old mechanics, which could be either awesome or merely okay.

I'm excited, but I'm gonna wait and see how it reviews.

They just announced Co-op play for it so hopefully it’ll be a little more involved this time.

I really wish they had a gameplay mode where you played using the switch screen and TV screen at the same time but that’s probably too much to ask. :(

It really is phenomenal how well that gameplay worked and blended with the story, and even could sell an entirely self-contained story in a fight sometimes (Tigris Cantus).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

1-1 is boring, the crazy twists are one of the best things about Phoenix Wright.

Crazy twists are A-OK, it’s just that the non-core characters have become insane caricatures and it lost a little of the charm because of that.

Like Oldbag in 1-3 and Larry in the first game were actually decent people at heart.

In later games they are loving awful.

E: following up on this, later games feel like they’ve become more about spectacle and setpieces rather than story, sometimes this works (cases 6-2, 6-5). I feel like the last game in general hit a much better balance than 5 did with this and I hope they keep it that way.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 20, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about regardless of the quality of the final product. How did a massive corporation like Square get to a point where there was only a single man in the company that they trusted with a project? And why do they trust that guy when he just seems to put belts on everything as his one defining trait?

There’s also the guy that did the FFXIV remake because he is really really good at his job.

And Nomura has turned out a shitload of hits including the company’s defining game so that’s probably why (that and lovely corporate politics)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Hell, even their founders/important figures are deeply different. Steve Jobs was an rear end in a top hat! Most of the big Nintendo figures are generally well liked

I’m past posting from 4 pages back but Hiroshi Yamauchi was a massive rear end in a top hat too afaik

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm really apprehensive about Undertale coming to the Switch because I legitimately dislike Undertale and I do not care to hear people talking about en masse once again

This is dumb and if you don’t want to hear about it maybe just unplug for a bit?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I get that it's not the worst thing in the world, but people endlessly gushing about a thing that you do not enjoy is actually quite alienating

I’m sorry positivity about something not harmful frustrates you so you strange, sad person

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Frankly we have too many games that are reflections of depression and anxiety (Celeste, undertale, poro poro tetris). When are we going to diversify and have games on other issues like sex addiction on the Switch?

Fire Emblem doesn’t come out until 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I’m excited for Vesperia and TWEWY

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're actually doing a physical release for Senran Kagura Reflexions, but only as a limited edition two pack with Senran Kagura Peach Ball

A cup of water placed within a foot of this game would instantly vanish

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Uh actually according to the good people at ResetERA and Reddit this game is going to be literally Double Hitler using Kaioken x 50

They’re right

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn't Pokemon already pretty casual as is (at least in single player)?

Being honest though I'm not even sure what this game IS? Is it basically Pokemon Light?

It’s basically a remake of RBY.

It comes off as really lazy and phoned in and also somehow costs 80$ after all that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

Call me when they make an American show as good as Avatar TLA or an anime as good as FMA Brotherhood

The averages are higher than they used to be and also you are definitely looking at both of those shows with rose-coloured glasses

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

Having rewatched both this year, ya boi is straight wrong.

Brotherhood’s first 15 episodes rely on you having either read the manga or watched an entirely different series if you don’t want the story pared down a lot and as a series it is hyperprone to tonal whiplash.

Avatar has a first season that at times borders on painful and it gets a bit unfocused during the third season.

They are both great but they are not perfect.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shards of Fate posted:

Has there been news of Dragon Crown coming to Switch?

No, just that it’ll be the tits when it does

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The only other time I can think of a studio pulling that off was Fire Emblem Awakening’s cutscenes.

I could’ve watched a whole show in that style.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hot take I don’t associate 60 FPS with quality and I remember a lot of the worst, cheapest looking games I played as a kid being 60 FPS

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What motion stuff did Odyssey have that was important again?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

What’s even the point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Licarn posted:

In the original games the trashcan is a "puzzle" where you have to find the two correct trashcans that have switches to open the door. There being two different coloured cans suggests that the switches are in those two, so you don't have to check every can to find the switches any more. This is making Very Serious Pokemon people angry.

It’s a silly change.

The original puzzle was dumb but the can was always adjacent so you had a 1 in 4 chance.

E: I didn’t know that about the bugs, I learned something today :aaa: it’s still dumb that they didn’t bother to replace it with anything else and it’s just another trademark sign of the care and :effort: thrown into this game

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 11, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the number of kids will probably decline, but I don't see why adults would stop playing online

Did you use Nintendo online when it was free?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

a.lo posted:

why da gently caress they starting w/ melee

Waluigi literally did not exist yet before that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently the hostages on Arsenal Gear were originally meant to all die but ended up surviving as their scene was cut.

People have actually gotten LESS able to ignore the trolls as the internet goes on, to the point where they seem to deliberately seek them out.

Nah, there are just way more people on the net now than 10 years ago

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
SA was that way before GBS whatever happened 5 years ago

Hell, it might’ve been better off for it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't remember the old Mario Party's but where they good for young kids, like 4-5 age? My daughter loves everything Nintendo, and board games, so I'm hoping it'll be a hit.

They are perfectly fine but based on 5 year old me’s experience be ready for your kid shutting the system off when they lose

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

American McGay posted:

Please no more anime characters. I can't handle it.

Gonna lay down some hard truths:

Most characters in Smash are Japanese cartoon-style video game characters

Therefore most characters in Smash are anime

E: Is there any way to get Pyra and Mythra without Rex because that dude is like, Corrin tier to me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There are more good Mario RPGs than bad but they’re working really loving hard on reversing that trend and I hope they get somebody else working on that series instead

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's $20 a year, and if you get enough friends on a family plan, it's only like 4 bucks a year individually, so it's not a lot.

It was mediocre when it was free though!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I just hope there's an easy way to message you people and set up games

Never ever because they are absolutely scared shitless about someone using that to lure a child.

Especially since that already happened once via Swapnote.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Sounds like you didn't care about the tentacruel that much

I hope your avatar remains forever corn

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I would like to petition that all the Bowsette fanart going around right now be renamed to Mrs Bowsfire, thank you

It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for it to be named after Toadette since the crown makes the wearer into Peach

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

"No, it's not JUST creepy fanart! I'll go down in internet history as one of the forefathers of a legendary meme, you'll see!" is how I imagine the people in question are justifying drawing this poo poo.

They know full well why they’re really drawing this poo poo

E: The reason is boners

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nintendo stock is up 2%.

Please tell me there's something else that's causing that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

a.lo posted:

I want to see a really hot bowsette irl

I would :toxx: that some company rolls out a costume for it at least before Halloween

There are for sure going to be cosplayers for it for a while

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Games just sorta...aren't getting released on the Switch instead

Like Nintendo has one ultra late game I'm super interested in and that is about it for the entire year

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Cities Skylines came out like two weeks ago I'm good

I'm getting TWEWY in like 2 weeks but that is still a port of a 10 year old game

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So who's going to the Japanese Bowsette Convention

Why is this a thing that is real and not fake. Like what are you even supposed to do other then show up and go "i like the design lol"

Motto posted:

niche doujin events are pretty common in japan. It's an extension of stuff like Comic Market just instead of being a several day event periodically throughout the year, it's a small one-off thing for a narrow subject.

For reference, the killer of Persona 4 got his own convention (of mostly women)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There’s loving two weeks left to TWEWY and I’m very hyped to pick up the day after my birthday

• Locked thread