Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Awww, great! Happy to help! :kimchi:

I might be on TV tonight; local Fox station came by to do a spot on our store expanding from breakfast to doing po' boys for lunch/dinner. I had a camerawoman all up in my space while I was trying to fry catfish and oysters.

"So, JD, whaddya have there?"
"Well boss, we call these... shrimp."

mmmmmm....oyster po' boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Goddammit, this made me realize I didn't get any oysters on the half shell this weekend. Stupid pandemic, making it unsafe to eat at an oyster bar.

I like to buy them by the bushel and just roast them bitches on my grill. Shucking them kinda sucks but price wise that's the way to go. It works better with more people since they'll usually take turns busting them open but a party like that is a no go with Covid right now, at least for me. In more sane times, I'd fill up a cooler for a party, grill them and then shuck and fry the ones we didn't eat or use them in a sauce or something.

drat, I haven't had oysters in a while and now you guys got me craving some.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Question about the industry:

I've always heard that breakfast is the most profitable shift for any restaurant since the ingredients, prep time and turnaround are so cheap, low and fast. It makes sense to some degree but I've always wondered how true that is. When I worked as a busboy at Denny's, all the servers wanted morning shift since that's where they made the most money even though the checks were low so I guess it was just volume?

And also then again it was Denny's and that's a place people would usually choose breakfast over dinner. Or any other meal really. I can still see though how the markup on breakfast food would be insanely high when I think about and realize how cheap I can cook a Grand Slam for.

TIA

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I haven't worked in food service for a long LONG time but I have fond memories of it even when it was hard. And it was always hard.

I started out as a dish dog and busboy at Denny's making min wage, tried the cook's line and then saw all the money the waitresses were making and asked to be a server. There were NO male servers back then and I suffered a lot of gay jokes but didn't care since I was making more money for less hassle and making it in cash. Working graveyard shift was fun a lot of times. I'd be as stoned as my customers at the 2:15 am bar rush and usually around 4am, the place would be dead and I'd make milkshakes and fry up some shrimp.

Did some catering work on weekends and for some reason never really minded it.

Made my way into light fine dining in college and made a poo poo ton of money for the most part. Slower turn arounds but bigger tabs so really all I had to do was cut my hair, know the rules and act semi sophisticated. I LOVED working brunch. The hotel I worked in would give away free brunch passes and customers would just leave them on the table. Almost every time there were more passes than people so I'd take the extra coupons and use them to pay the checks of people who paid cash and then pocket the extra $30 a head or whatever it was. More than made up for the large segment of folks who didn't tip for brunch service (which was a lot).

I kind of liked it. Lots of drugs, sex, weird hours, friendships and pretty good money for a college kid.

Not sure what it's like now but it doesn't sound too great from reading the thread. I guess it depends on the place. The fine dining place had a lot of older servers and cooks working there along with the college kids.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Long shot, but if any line cooks/chefs are in the Austin area and looking for a place, I want to give a very heartfelt pitch for my old restaurant. It was fantastic for a ton of reasons, and I only left because my wife and I moved to Denver.

this was heart felt and it sucks that people are making GBS threads on it. I hope you find some good workers that can help u out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^

Skwirl posted:

No, it had armed drones to kill the pizza delivery boy if they were late on a delivery.

We can do both

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Really sucks reading about all these horror stories because I made some VERY good money for my age when I was in college and got into some higher end places waiting tables. The nicest place I worked at had servers who were 50-ish years old working it as a career and not entirely in a bad way. Or at least not an awful soul crushing one.

This thread just makes me depressed and sad. What changed so much I wonder? I mean, it was always hard work with a lot of bullshit to deal with but a person could often make $200 bucks a night, cash, for a 6 hour schedule on a good shift. I did and this was in 1989.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing this is in a very large city, NYC, or one of the ones that likes to brag about what they have more of or do better than NYC?

Philadelphia FWIW

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's a lot harder to get a $200 a night in tips now than it was 32 years ago, even though $200 is a lot less money now.

So I'm gathering.

That really loving sucks and, as a person who's done everything to washing dishes at Denny's at 16 to working in some really nice places, I always tip well, treat the staff with respect and have come to learn when things aren't going right that it's not always anyone's fault. I think restaurant work should be like the draft, where everyone is required to do it. At least if they want to dine out.

I have different kind of eyes for things when I eat out and can tell when someone has been triple seated, the line forgot to 86 something, they're down some busing staff or some rear end in a top hat table won't leave. Only thing I frown on is noticing staff intentionally being lazy or what I call aggressive indifference but sometimes even then it's easy to let it slide.

That server you saw "dicking around on their phone?" He or she may be conversing with their doctor, insurance company, mechanic or child care provider.

My biggest problem with making the $200 cash on a night was going out after work and drinking or buying coke so I'd only clear like $125 or $100. Stupid poo poo. Is drug use as prevalent now as it was then? When I worked in hash houses, the trap was buying coke or speed to get you through a double shift and failing to realize that the overhead wasn't worth it. Speed was a better investment than coke though, to be fair, and all those old ladies in the Waffle House that serve you at 2:30 am?

Hopped on diet pills or meth I promise you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

pile of brown posted:

You're right, in a situation where someone orders a 50+ person off-site catering order the restaurant should absolutely already be charging a service charge and/or gratuity, the payment card was likely given in advance and whatever jamoke was manning the front desk on the receiving is likely not authorized to make new charges on the company card so the onus is even less on them and even more on the restaurant's owners and management.

This. I mean Jesus Christ.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tristesse posted:

This is how I imagine everyone in the industry quits when it's their time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT6gZmYSXXs

I was expecting Jennifer Anniston in Office Space but these are great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm honestly thinking about taking the dive into this poo poo again since I live in a tourist town, need weird hours and there's not a ton of other stuff out there. I need to find somewhere close I can work since my car is old and commuting to Jacksonville costs me $80 or $90 a week. My graphic design, illustration and Adobe skills are less and less valued.

Every restaurant here is hiring and claim that "nobody wants to work". I'm not a masochist but it's either this or some sort of hotel work and i know I can just walk if it the poo poo gets too deep.

Any advice for a an old veteran who hasn't seen combat in a long time? Besides "DONT DO IT" I mean.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I just need the money, somewhere to work that's close by and the the semi weird and flexible hours. Bonus points if I can make some cash.

There don't seem to be any places to work within 50 miles of me that aren't hotels, restaurants or retail.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You should definitely rotate your footwear as much as you can, restaurant work or otherwise. You gotta let them shits breathe and air out a little bit. Christ.

When I worked in Restaurants, my work shoes would get tremendously funky, especially if I was working BoH. The idea of wearing them at any other time seems gross as hell. I don't do anything close to real hard labor that fucks up my feet but I still have 3 or 4 pairs of shoes that I rotate, not counting 1 or 2 pairs of dress shoes. I have my regular sneakers, an older pair of sneakers, some boots and a pair of sandals.

This line of conversation is making me queasy just thinking about all your nasty rear end feet.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Seems to me that food trucks might help a little with this issue, provided everyone in the truck is vaccinated and tests negative anyways. People can order and eat outside and you can have the plexi shield up over the ordering window.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Working as a waiter was what got me started smoking. I noticed that smokers were sort of excused for breaks but if a manager saw me standing around doing nothing they'd tell me to go bus a table or something so I started bumming cigarettes. I smoked occasionally when I would be out drinking but the restaurant "break time" smoking was when I started doing it enough to get hooked.

Anybody ever serve or wait on anybody famous?

I waited on Joe Jackson, Malcom Jamall Warner, Dizzy Gillespe (oatmeal with strawberries), Robert Duval and the mama from Good Times; Esther Rolle I think her name was. Joe Jackson is a real loving rear end in a top hat btw I can't even. And Esther doesn't tip for poo poo. Dizzy was real quiet and didn't want to be bothered. Duval and Warner were part of larger groups during a buffet/brunch type thing so I didn't interact with them much.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Alton Brown (posted about my food)

What did he write?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Bandit posted:

A bunch, but Johnny Depp made a fat joke at my food runner.

Weird. He seems like such a swell guy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kro-Bar posted:

We get lots of pro sports players at my place (pricey steakhouse); some of the more recent notables have been Steph Curry and Kareem Abdul Jabar. We've also had LL Cool J, Usher and Ludacris come in since the new year. Cool James left a 100% tip on an $4,000 tab but the others left right around 20%.

I assume you live in LA? My experiences were in Philadelphia and it was always strange who might show up.

Still though, at the ripe young age of around 20, I bet that (adjusted for inflation and dollars divided by hours) that the fine dining places I worked were still the best money making jobs I ever had.

Most servers hated working Sunday Brunch because, since it was mostly buffet style, the tips were lower and also some servers had families and poo poo but I loving LOVED IT. The hotel would hand out vouchers for brunch service to guests that checked in so, a lot of times, what would happen was that a party of 4 but travelling with 6 would just plop all 6 vouchers on the table and a little cash. I would pocket the 2 extra coupons and the next time a party paid cash I would staple those fuckers to the check and put the money in my pocket.

Used to loving tear it up on a 6 to 8 hour Sunday shift, man. Because you were talking about $35 or $40 brunch service and way back in 1990. So if I wound up with 5 or 6 unclaimed coupons, that's around 200 bucks before I even got tipped out and many times it was even more than that and I'd bounce out with 4 or 5 hundred dollars for really easy work in one shift. All I had to do was fill drinks, clear dishes, look presentable and check on guests along with set up and break down.

Pretty sure I wasn't supposed to do that but I didn't give a gently caress and I never got caught. Probably wouldn't work now since no one uses cash and there'd be bar codes on every coupon but it was cool while it lasted.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Turns out he'd accidentally started the wrong playlist, and our 11AM brunch crowd was about to be treated to NWA's "gently caress tha Police."

Should have blasted that poo poo

Quick question: if you're a dishwasher, are you typically allowed to wear ear buds?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Drinkslinger posted:

How do you folks feel about the film Boiling Point?

I'm a UK bartender and honestly, it's one of the most accurate depictions of working in hospitality that I've ever seen.

Speaking of that, it's kind of weird that there aren't more movies and sitcoms that are primarily set in a restaurant and center around that crazy world of cooks, servers, dishwashers.managers and hosed up customers. Not counting "reality" shows. When I was 16 and 17 I worked in a Denny's doing just about everything on every shift at some point or another and holy poo poo would the things I witnessed there make for a great show/movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That would risk humanizing lower level cooks and kitchen staff, and that is a big fat no-no

"Humanizing and a no-no" for whom? I don't think Hollywood or TV execs would much care.

I just think it's a ripe setting for drama, romance and comedy. You could do a lot with it just based on the setting alone and lord knows there's 100 different characters that would basically write themselves.

You've got sex, politics, money and drugs right there and then all the other weird poo poo that goes on in a restaurant with crazy customers, unexpected kitchen bullshit and what have you. Typically, though, anything with this type of setting is more of a backdrop than a main plot where one character is a server or a chef and the main story is something else but most places I've worked are practically their own little odd societies in and of themselves with a plethora of hosed up poo poo going on.

This thread is a great example.

I guess "Cheers" is a decent enough example of what I'm thinking of. But a sitcom based on the Denny's or Village Inn graveyard shift would be loving gold.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is it OK if I like Chicago deep dish and NYC style thin slices or must I choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pretty wild story developing here

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/customers-viral-dispute-250-reservation-172902054.html

"Thank You For Screwing Over My Restaurant And My Staff": This Restaurant Owner's Response To A Customer Canceling His Reservation Has Garnered Over 24 Million Views, And A Lot Of Backlash

quote:

Here's what happened: In a thread posted to X (formerly known as Twitter) last Thursday, Trevor showed screenshots of his back-and-forth messages with Table's account on Instagram, seemingly initiated by Jen. The conversation started with Jen sarcastically thanking Trevor for "screwing over my restaurant and staff" after Trevor used his credit card's travel insurance to get reimbursed for the restaurant's $250 reservation cancellation fee. "I really hope in the future you have more respect for restaurants, especially small businesses such as mine. Pathetic," Jen concludes in her message. The thread has now been viewed over 24 million times.

According to Trevor, his husband allegedly tried to call the restaurant to explain the situation to the staff before disputing the fee, but Trevor said that he was told to "take it up" with his credit card if he was "so butt hurt."

I guess read the whole thing because it just keeps going