Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Non industry goon here. I often see sommeliers around/in the kitchen during service. What is the role of the sommelier in that case after the menu has been made? I'm assuming they aren't working on new dish pairings during the middle of service. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The resident somm is often a manager, if not the general manager. They are just doing normal operational stuff during service

Oh no way, I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would use Google's analytics, look up 'starbucks', find the ones in your area, look at the business tracker. Do this with a variety of Starbucks from other areas to see how busy the one in your area is.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leal posted:

Guy walks up to the drive thru window.

"I want however many biscuits and gravy that 20 dollars will buy"

I respect this, this person knows what they're about and it's dope that the restaurant didn't refuse service for a walkup.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When I worked in a machine shop 18 years ago or so the smokers (including every manager/supervisor) basically got extra breaks every few hours to go smoke. I was very young, intimidated by these very cool older wise and expert-level machinists and wanted the extra break so I started smoking, the dumbest poo poo imaginable. I stopped pretty much as soon as I started but it remains something I look back on and cringe at.

I see similar poo poo in journalism/writing from friends and family who work in that space, people think you have to drink whiskey and smoke and shower every 3 days for ethos.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Naelyan posted:

I actually only have a couple of my cooks that smoke, it's weird. I yell at people daily to actually take breaks. "No, I'm good, Chef" "shut the gently caress up you're working 9 hours today if I don't see you sit down before dinner service I'm gonna be mad"

Since they obviously don't want to be seen as The One that Needed a Break, what about mandating breaks so the onus is taken off their shoulders? Like have your cooks rotate each other out for 10-15 min breaks before prep?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

whos that broooown posted:

Wait are you mad at the smokers in this situation?

No not at all, sorry if my post read that way. They were all really incredible people, one of them was a very old Korean guy who learnt machining by, as a teenager, lathing down *live* mortar shells in the war so they would fit other launchers, another was a grumpy but lovable old German who designed a new type of fishing reel during lunch breaks. Learned a ton about accountability and how life works as an adult in general and have a lot of respect for them, wherever they are now.

Not trying to derail the thread but here's a photo I took of the German guy, one of the only intelligent things I did at that age is take photos of/with the people there before I left. I don't know if he's still alive but he wouldn't care that I'm posting this:

I imagine most people in this thread have similar stories about learning more than they bargained for from a grandfather stand-in at work. This guy never said anything that wasn't hilarious or incredibly insightful, and was extremely generous with his time on several occasions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm a brewer and I would say it's pretty common to purge with CO2 or sometimes Nitrogen gas (to reduce carbon). I'm sure it could possibly work with other things, the deal is basically that when beer gets exposed to oxygen post fermentation, it develops a cardboard/stamp/envelope taste. If you've ever had an old bottle of beer and it tasted like licking a stamp, that's the reason. So it may have other applications, but it's very important for beer, even if it may be sort of negligible for growlers (which is why they usually tell you to consume it within a few days).

Considering what some people like drinking these days I'm surprised nobody has leaned into this and hyperoxygenated the bottle.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I delivered pizza to a middle of the bench player on the Vancouver Canucks 16 years ago and his wife was yelling at him while he paid for it and he seemed really unhappy. He's retired now and I hope they're doing better.

I used to get insane tips in that area, like $20-$40 tips on a $60 order.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/yx16wC6.mp4

sound

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there precedent for insurance companies to revoke or reduce payouts to businesses who engage in crowdfunding?

A spot near me recently had a big fire. They're reaching out on GoFundMe. I've heard from friends that the crowdfunding campaign is supposed to go to pay for lost wages for workers who used up their EI during the 'lockdowns', but I have a hard time believing it. Either way, I'm wondering what the place's insurance company would say if they found out about the crowdfunding.

I don't think an insurance company is in any way caring about the charitable donations the business receives. They're obligated to pay out a certain amount up to the limitations of the agreement and the language doesn't include any accounting for such things.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stay away from the one weird older sous chef who is friends with the manager and holds eye contact too long

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I really feel that the more comfortably you're living the more liberty you feel you have to slip into believing the dumb poo poo. Because most staff in critical care are making decent money and are therefore comfortable you hear all sorts of poo poo, I've mentioned in here before the ICU RN who went to her ... eastern medicine practicioner and proudly exclaimed one day at work that the reason she's been feeling unwell is that her Blood is Too Hot. Being in healthcare doesn't really seem to inoculate people against having bizarre superstitious/religious beliefs, and because a lot of us are making above average incomes I really think there's an above-average amount of functional lunacy in the group also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

whos that broooown posted:

What the gently caress

Can't help but feel this is what happens when you have an HR department that desperately wants to be progressive but they're all 51 and don't really understand the point of what they're trying to enforce.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Should have blasted that poo poo

Quick question: if you're a dishwasher, are you typically allowed to wear ear buds?

Absolutely not during any kind of time where there are other people in the kitchen. If you're there after dinner service at the end of the night maybe but probably not then. It's just too dangerous amd also a lot of communication needs to happen. Would be curious if this is different in other goon kitchens.

The other reason is we all want to know what you're listening to so we can make fun of it tbh.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Earbuds in the kitchen is absolutely insane to me. Even if it were allowed I wouldn't have done it when I was working dishpit, for all the reasons listed above. I first encountered some young dishwashers wearing earbuds at the board game cafe. "You can't be listening to earbuds at work, it's dangerous." "Chef [who is my uncle] said I could." I fought it but it went nowhere because that place was largely toxic and that chef was an incompetent nepotistic rear end in a top hat who already hated my guts.

Yeah it's wild. I've worked in construction, factories, kitchens, machining, and healthcare using needles/etc and I saw more workplace injuries in the kitchens than anywhere else. It's literally not a very safe place even when everyone is trying to make it safe so anything stepping away from safety seems crazy.

What does DP Adam listen to?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

When I started at this place, my chef at the time said, "Meester Mother, we are going to listen to some music now. We are all kind of from the 80's, right Meester Mother? So we are going to listen to some 80's music, okay?"

If you'd told me this guy moonlighted as a werewolf, I would have believed it. Covered in tattoos of demons and such, sides of his head shaved and a four foot long jet black ponytail, scars all over and probably not from kitchen injuries, more like mosh pits or motorcycle accidents. I assumed he was a big heavy metal guy. In fact, I was almost certain he had mentioned exactly that. So I was ready to rock out.

His playlist began.

And it was ALL stuff like that. Soft pop rock, the entire day. At first I thought it was a gag, but it continued week after week. I mean, it was pleasant to listen to, but... I'm still suspicious it's a long-running practical joke at my expense.

Nowadays we only play Ranchera.

I clicked that link and uh they're playing a show here in 6 days.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leal posted:

California passed a law starting this month about single use stuff like forks and straws but also condiments. I've said nuts to enforcing that cause my wages didn't increase and I'm sure Newsom wont be giving me a tax break.

And then a new button has shown up on the register

gently caress me they want to keep loving records on this poo poo?

Tag yourself I'm Yellow Sweetner

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

number 1 snake fan posted:

I've noticed you can't get good pickles (crunchy, classic dill) at the grocery store anymore but the ones at restaurants are still good, what are the best suppliers for pickles? I'm gonna see if i can satisfy my hunger that way.

If you're actually that particular about it you should make your own- not too challenging.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bloody ghost titty posted:

[...] that should spook anyone who isn’t shady as hell.

It's a good job there aren't any shady as hell people running restaurants

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's just classic "I know this will get me the promotion, the boss will see what a good little boy I am"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

odinson posted:

I wouldn't call it a good story, but it may help some others out.

Worked an opening shift about 3 years ago at this bar/restaurant. Got off work and went straight to the bar. Next thing I know its 2 weeks later and I'm in the ICU coming outta 2 week coma.

I had apparently chosen to drive home and caused an accident. It was beyond fortunate that the other people in the car I hit weren't seriously injured. I got fubared though and still need a total knee replacement surgery on top of several other issues (no health insurance) Got charged with 4 counts of felony DUI w/ grievous bodily injury. Plea bargained down to 1 count. Lawyer all but guaranteed I'd make parole after 1 year, but I didn't and ended up doing 23 months and I'm on paper till April.

Started doing A/A in prison to look good for the parole board and kept up with it even after my denial. I'm back in the kitchen b/c felon status made it hard to find a job quickly after release. Living in an Oxford House for now and saving up for a moped.

So yeah, don't drink and drive kids.

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you and the people in the other car are okay.

You can try military surplus places for boots, they don't all look like insane military boots.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just in case anyone thought kitchen work was better outside of restaurants, it isn't! I run the prepared foods department for a national grocery chain, and here is what I'm dealing with today:

1. Our overnight receiver quit without notice on Saturday

2. The $11k order we got that night was left on the dock while everyone else on the shift just walked past it

3. The sous equivalent who opened Sunday found it, and had to throw all of it away

4. He didn't record spoilage for any of it, so I'm doing that today.

5. He placed some emergency orders, but billed them to another department by mistake, so I'm transferring all that product into my inventory today.

6. 3 cooks (of 4 scheduled) called out

7. The posted schedule and the printed one are somehow totally different, so neither of my opening dishwashers showed up today.

8. The trash compactor is broken, so the dish room was full of trash from last night.

9. One bag contained a chef knife that sliced my hand open when I moved it.

10. My closing sous equivalent called out for tonight's close.

11. The dish machine just broke.

It doesn't matter where you are, working in a kitchen is the worst thing you can do.

Do you pony up for a shift supervisor or pay extra for a senior person to be in charge? If it's not in their job description and it's normally handled by someone else I think it's pretty reasonable for people to walk past shipments of stuff on their way in to where they actually work.

Why do you think everyone hates working there/calls in sick so much out of curiosity? I'm not implying anything, I'm just curious what a management-level person infers from it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

I read this thread, but I don't think I've ever posted here. I worked for several years at Wal-Mart, and for a much shorter time at the OP's workplace. This was during the Great Recession. At a "Big Box" retail store, random managers will always try to pull people from one area to another to cover other areas, because the company is always trying to schedule just enough coverage to get by, and they recognize that even if there isn't enough coverage, they can pressure people into working harder. Also, it doesn't actually matter that much for the bottom line. If some things are out of stock, customers will buy something else. It's not like they're going to go to another store. Very few customers will shop at multiple stores to minimize their grocery bill. Hence the loss leader, sell your milk or whatever for a bit less to get them in the door, because they'll buy everything else regardless of the price.

But at a big enough store, like a Wal-Mart Supercenter, there's kind of always someone in a department. There's also dedicated receivers, unloaders, etc. A pallet doesn't get left on the dock in a big store. But in a smaller store, you get this situation where individuals are expected to both cover their entire department and area, plus anything else nearby. So there's one person in the entire dairy and frozen department, or there's a single individual scheduled to cover meat. Then like, they're eating lunch and there are ten entitled people angrily haranguing the management about why they can't get their salmon cut. At Wal-Mart, it was sort of always acknowledged internally among the workers that a Supercenter was better to work at than a Neighborhood Market, because you had a more focused set of duties and your direct supervisor was more likely to have your back if you refused to move to another department to cover when your own needed coverage.

I only briefly worked for the OP's workplace because it sold itself as a better environment, but it was actually worse in pretty much every way than the big corporate entities. The Amazon buyout may have made things better, but it sounds like the small grocery store problems still persist. The desire to pay the minimum possible wages while expecting the worker to do all sorts of tasks. My clearest memory of stocking groceries at that place was some absurd white lady demanding that I restock the fresh honey dispenser. There were dozens of prefilled honey containers sitting there, but she wanted to pull a little lever and fill up her own. The feeder honey containers were literally like five gallon fifty pound things that you had to flip over and drop onto a tap. Think like an office water cooler but six feet up in the air and full of goo rather than water. I had to climb a ladder and drop this giant honey container onto a hopper so this lady could pull a lever and pour her honey into a container, rather than just taking one of the existing containers. I'm a tall, fit enough guy, but I will always remember taking that deep breath as I shouldered that honey barrel to performatively install that loving honey onto a tap for some idiot white lady.

Wal-Mart would have never asked me to do something so stupid.

The honey machine is broken

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i just got a trial shift as a prep cook next week, i've never worked in a professional kitchen in my life, i'm a recipe developer, what the gently caress do i do

First, you're being paid for this 'trial shift' right? If not, don't do it. Assuming you are getting paid:

Come in with an extremely "I'm here to learn" attitude, be confident but not arrogant, read the room as best you can and err on the side of being overly professional. Show respect to everyone including the dish pit people and front of house staff. Don't bother people who are in the middle of something if you can help it. Try to make sure you know the names of everyone you'll need to interact with during service because you won't want to be tapping people on the shoulder or trying to ask someone else what their name is. I would make it my goal to have positive interactions with the people around you above pretty much anything else. If someone takes a minute to show you something make sure you thank them.

That's my advice basically but I've never worked in a super professional kitchen either.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

evilpicard posted:

A little known fact is you can also fire creeps for being creeps

Yeah but then you'd have to fill those shifts and it might be at overtime!!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

evilpicard posted:

When I started recruiting managers for my restaurants I was surprised that a number of candidates were actually requesting trial shifts.

Trying to look good primarily I would expect. I do the same thing and ask for a shadow shift when I'm interested in a position.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Maestro posted:

They’ve since stopped doing it, but only because I threatened to quit if they kept doing it. It would get served at the bar and I would get light headed, wobbly kneed, headaches. I’m not a tobacco fan.

Tabacco used in that kind of way isn't unusual I think in that specific context. If I'm understanding this right and it's just in a glass dome or something that gets pulled off the plate with a stupid flourish, it's also extremely unlikely that you would be able to inhale enough of it to have significant nicotine in your system to cause those symptoms. If the process of preparing the dish means that they're having to generate a bunch of smoke that gets in your area then it could be a different matter, like if buddy has to light it and blow on the flame and like etc other actions that put a bunch of smoke in your area that's way more of an issue.

I still think you're in the right for complaining about being exposed to even a small amount of smoke that you don't want to be exposed to. It's not part of your job description and working bar is annoying enough at times without also having to smell some poo poo you don't want to smell.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

aaaaannnnnd OUT of the industry! I will dearly miss front of house meetings where all blondes with dark eyes on staff are warned away from table ten because a certain diner had a bad horoscope the night before a reservation and immediately called the maître de. I will miss the gossip, one of my favorites being "if she looks happy or seems nice today she isn't, she just got her eyebrows done" and my dishwasher Lil Yall who created so many weird moments. I will miss dessert plates with "Happy 60th birthday" written in pastry frosting being sent back uneaten to the kitchen with the number wiped off and the offending napkin sitting there like a conspirator in a vain effort to wind back the clock on life. I guess I won't miss composting? I actually liked this career alot.

It's worth noting that absolutely every single one of the things you mentioned have to do with the people you work with. Restaurants are right up there for "the worst jobs have the best coworkers", and I have extremely similar feelings about the construction jobs I've had in the past. Congrats on getting out and good luck with the new gig! Good luck not accidentally dropping f bombs in front of new colleagues.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

Good to know, thank you!

I don't know where you live or what the laws are like where you live, but it might be really complicated to literally hire someone to do this. If you're just hoping to pay someone out of pocket it might end up being a massive headache if they decide that actually they would like benefits and you haven't been paying them, they could report you for not paying tax etc all that stuff. To actually do this 'properly' you'd generally have to set up a business in order to employ them, etc. It would end up being a lot more expensive.

Not trying to shoot down your idea but it might be worth considering the kind of headache this could boil over into if someone decides to be a dickhead about it. If you have a physical disability that prevents you from being able to do this stuff yourself, you might find there are nonprofit groups that receive funding to help with things like this, at no cost to you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd also recommend looking into 'porter' jobs in hospitals. It's quite good pay for no training and you'd get all the benefits etc. I'm in Canada so I'm sure it's a lot worse in the states but so is everything else so I think it's a worthwhile option.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mining and lumber camps have their own kitchens and the people working in the industry side get meals made in them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's also a thing for paramedics to work up there at camps or on oil rigs and there's equally as much sex and drugs.

There are 'clean' camps but they're also full of drugs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Northern Ontario. It’s basically made up of mines.

Mines and insects.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Godamn, I hate that robot Doordash bitch. So doesn't care how busy and/or understaffed you are.

True but does anyone

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Soonmot posted:

That's deep dish and it's a trick to play on tourists. Real Chicago style is a super thin, almost cracker like thin crust with golden brown cheese and it's square cut, not triangles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

it's me, I pine nutted the pesto. I big green'd the doctor. I am beheaded