Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I know this isn't the anime thread but that one seems even more dead than this one so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4v863uJorw

When the hell did this start? I heard nothing about it, I accidentally found the opening just now.

I'm also not digging the opening but that's another matter entirely, I'm surprised at how little importance this had.

I googled it, and it's scheduled to start airing April 4th in Japan, so the first episode probably just aired a few hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hope you enjoyed Sevens because it's going on hiatus again, returning August 8th for episode 10.

These past few episodes have me extremely wary about the show, a hiatus is probably going to make it worse.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Invictus posted:

thanks for the effortpost. yeah, I'm going through a bunch of boxes of cards I got at a yard sale, mostly magic, and this was one of them. I'll see if I can get some pictures taken eventually but if there's nothing super noteworthy I might just toss it up as a big lot, I figured something like BEWD would be the serra angel or shivan dragon where it might be iconic and might have been good once, but has long since been surpassed and everyone has one anyways so it's not worth much.

The problem with cards like Blue Eyes isn't that they're bad (for the record, later support made BEWD an actually pretty decent card), it's that they're really easy to get. So the only way you're going to have a version of BEWD that's worth anything is if you can get a really rare variant of it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barudak posted:

I've not played the game in a while, so maybe the new ones are better. I just want them to get more wild so they feel like a really unique Ritual thing (and can dance around the whole you need the ritual card+materials issue) that you and your opponent play around so its an engaging mechanic for both sides. .

"You may only use the ritual card if you have a face up normal monster with originally 500 or less attack points, and the monster you summon with this card cannot be destroyed by card effects or battle. If you control no face up monsters with originally less than 500 attack points, banish the monster summoned with this ritual cards".

Megaliths are a highly slept on ritual archetype that ritual summons using monsters instead of spells, is capable of ritual summoming from deck, and can ritual summon during the opponent's turn. It's a wild deck.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Len posted:

holy poo poo i don't have to have the monsters on the field to play polymerization?! literal game changer.

Wait until you see some of the more modern fusion cards

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

If you’re interested in Ritual summoning, you should check out the upcoming Draiton archetype.

https://ygorganization.com/soiguessthisisreimaginedkaisermangadeck/

Yeah, it's definitely interesting. Using attack points to ritual summon instead of levels is very interesting, I feel like certain parts of the Draitron engine will become ritual standard eventually; the field spell, counter trap, and ritual spell will for sure.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

W.T. Fits posted:

I've only had access to the Zexal world in Duel Links for a day, and I already can't stand Yuma, from his design, to his dumb catchphrase, but especially his godawful voice. Is this normal?

Zexal is hot, hot garbage, and Yuma is probably actively the worst Yugioh protagonist, so yeah, I'd say it's normal.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

Is it as bad a start as Yu-Gi-Oh GX not even bothering to have a plot for about half the first season?

Well, start with a main cast who are mostly annoying one-note stereotypes, then add in a plot that takes a while to get started and also just generally kinda sucks. The main villains, and also ZEXAL (which is a dumb fusion form that changes the contents of Yuma's deck) cheat relentlessly, and not in a fun way like Yugi's cheating.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sadly aware that the TCG meta right now is so absurdly fast that Myutants probably can't get an edge in. Part of why I mixed them with Shaddolls, who are one of the few decks right now with the capacity to tell the rest of the game 'sit still and shut up for a minute', even if they can't turn that into victory to the level they can in the OCG.

The OCG banned almost all of the problem cards, including Dragoon, Elpy, and Halq.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
My hot take is that if you really want to fix the game, you need to ban every single generic extra deck monster and never release one again. Every single extra deck monster needs to have strict summoning conditions.

I also think the game needs a set rotation, because the more I've thought about it, the more certain I became that it's the only half-decent way to rein in power creep.

Neither of these things will happen, though, so for now I'll be happy with just banning problem cards like Halq as they show up.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

It's time for me to ask for OpinionsTM! Which of the anime series, if any, are actually good? Sub or dub, they've got different strengths.

Duel Monsters, GX, and 5D's are all good, and for me personally, 5D's is probably the best of the lot. I would not recommend watching the dub for the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, ever. I hear that they've improved the localization over the years, but frankly I don't trust that they stopped loving with it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

5Ds I haven't gotten too far into at this point, but to my understanding it's one of the more popular ones, in large part because it does really well with its setting, has the courage to have a protagonist who's an actual adult, has some really solid boss monster designs, and has the best female lead. Unfortunately, it's the one most hindered by production problems; things got weird with 5Ds' production, so probably the most promising and self-assured start the series had to that point just evaporates as they have to reshuffle characters because of voice actor obligations, and drop a plotline because of concerning connections to real-life news stories. I don't know any especially strong reasons to watch subbed or dubbed here, but I'd recommend dubbed just for Dan Green voicing a recurring bad guy, and loving Goku voicing a surprising amount of villains of the week. This is also around where they get tangibly better about dub censorship; they still use metaphors about death, and slightly redraw some designs, but when they decide their death metaphor is 'sent to the Netherworld' you can at least tell that they know you know.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the only stipulation I've got for 5Ds: I hope you can stomach annoying kids, because oh god Leo

I think 5D's is another one where subs are basically mandatory. From what I've heard, and I don't know if this is just tone or content, but the dub really dramatically mangled what 5D's was going for.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

The reduction of generics is a good thought (although a lot of the real nasty powerhouses are less generic than most think, it's just their requirements are easy for the top decks to do), but what counts as a generic is really really wildly different for each player. For example, nothing in Eldlich is generic, it just happens to be powerful because it's a small part of your total deck whilst being very versatile in it's use.

Yeah, killing generic extra deck monsters isn't necessarily meant to be a one-hit fix for the game, since as you mentioned there are some powerhouse decks out there that basically don't even use the extra deck. My thought here is more that by eliminating generic extra deck monsters, you reduce the power level of the format to the point where they don't even need to print decks as insane as Eldlich. But that being said, keep in mind that the strongest form of Eldlich (which is currently unplayable because they banned Jet Synchron and Mecha Phantom Beast O-Lion) was a variant that abused the standard Halq/Linkross/Auroradon/Marcher combo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

A hard reboot is still the easiest way to fix the game honestly

A hard reboot with a set rotation, specifically. They really, really need something inherent to the game's design to keep power creep in check.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

Those are just weird side formats that will be dead soon enough, not an actual solution to the problem affecting the real game

Or they could just set more hard limits in the rules to what cards can do and how much they can combo with other cards

Currently, the way Yu-Gi-Oh! works is, there are two ways to sell new product: ban the existing decks and power creep. Adding a set rotation does two things for the game that are positive: 1) it gives a reason to buy new product that isn't "my deck can't beat the new powerful cards" and 2) stops the game from becoming the current over 10,000 card monstrosity that it currently is.

I realize that people love to play their old favorites, especially with new support, but you can just reprint those cards when you want to see those decks come back anyway.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I still think that trying to fix YGO with set rotation is the wrong way about things, because the game not having set rotation is the most interesting thing about it from an external perspective. The fact that cards you remember from the early 2000s get play is genuinely what brought me back, and is what makes the game interesting compared to other games like it.

They're kinda poo poo at it right now, but that's not the fault of their overall approach, that's the fault of someone at Konami having a fanatical, unrequited crush on Crystron Halqifibrax.

They've been poo poo at it for the entire lifecycle of the game, because the issue is fundamental to the game's design. Like I said, the only tools they have to sell new product are bans and power creep, and that means they're going to lean heavily on the latter.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

Set rotation would remove all incentive for Konami to do legacy support except in nostalgia products. Which would lead to Yugi and Kaiba being printed every rotation, and they already get the lion’s share of legacy cards (outside Blackwing).

This would be a huge shame because Ancient Gear is still an incredibly fun rogue deck that exists solely off of legacy support nostalgia.

Also power creep would still happen, because the power creep isn’t about selling cards it’s about running out of card designs and needing the new anime to be the coolest thing ever every time. Also I think the ownership of the card game would actually make set rotation impossible anyway. Konami just need to be better about putting things in the banlist, and taking them off.

Some level of power creep is inevitable. The insane level of power creep that Yu-Gi-Oh! has is extremely unusual, and it's really obviously because the banlist isn't enough to slow things down.

drrockso20 posted:

It'll die the moment Sevens finishes, I mean have we heard anything about them releasing anything for it here in the West, even the anime hasn't officially left Japan yet

I think there was a trademark or something? No big official news about releasing outside Japan yet, in any case.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

Some of the most broken cards in Yugioh's history were in the first couple sets.

Yes, Konami is capable of making design mistakes. That they didn't realize that Draw 2 Cards was insane when they printed the first Yu-Gi-Oh set doesn't mean that the overall power level of DM wasn't so much lower than the modern format that it isn't basically a completely different game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

You've also got the cases of general bread-and-butter cards that are simple enough to always be useful, while not being powerful enough to ban. Your Monster Reborns and Polymerizations. Sure, they probably won't get people excited, but they're there. (EDIT: Wrote all the above before you put in the 'haven't been recently reprinted', but it's largely still true)

To be clear, this is also normal in games with set rotation. I've bounced in an out of MtG for actual decades, and to my knowledge there has never been a time when Giant Growth was not legal. You do not need the main format to be a legacy format to have staple cards that are always around.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
My general expectation after thinking about the list for a few minutes is: we'll see a bunch of Virtual World, Dragon Link, Dinosaur, and Zoo Eldlich. Dragoon will be more popular than ever.

The rogue decks will be slightly more successful. E: Oh, and Halq combos with MPB Auroradon will still be plentiful, just weaker.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 10, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
If the past few formats of MR5 are what it takes for Konami to destroy the concept of the generic extra deck monster, then it'll all have been worth it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

:hmmyes:

New pipe dream about how the game could be changed: I want to see some kind of massive, sweeping rule that destroys the concept of a generic extra deck monster. Something like "each of the materials for the summon of an extra deck monster must share a type or an attribute with the monster being Summoned, unless the material monster is specifically named by the card." (Or some other way to be sure that archetypes that are spread across Types and Attributes still work.) Then a few erratas to cover the corner cases, and you've just supremely hampered the generic extra deck monster. I mean, it's still gonna exist on some level, you can still Scapegoat into Link Spider, but you can't Scapegoat into Firewall.

I'd like them to go even further. I'm not sure if it's possible to include this in the core rules, but I think any archetypal monster should require archetypal materials either as part of their summoning requirement or as the whole summoning requirement. So, for Verte Anaconda, it would be either Two effect monsters, including a Predaplant monster or Two Predaplant effect monsters. It would make things a little more difficult for extra deck cards that support gameplay mechanics rather than archetypes (like Union Carrier), but I think you could figure something out (for Union Carrier specifically, I like Two monsters with the same Type or Attribute, including a Union monster.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

If you do something like this, you're just going to make DARK and LIGHT and Dragon and Warrior even stronger than they already are and you'll make like, FIRE and Reptiles even weaker than they already are.

There's nothing inherently wrong with generic extra deck monsters, it's just that Link was an awful mechanic that completely broke the concept of such a thing.

Virtual World decks don't even play Link monsters. What Link monsters do is make an already busted concept even more egregious.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yu gi oh is fine we’re it is really. The only real problem card in the current format is VFD. Eldlich Zoo, and whatever plays Dogmatica are basically control decks.

Set rotation on the other hand would kill the game instantly.

Neither of these things are true, but I'm curious why you think they are.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because set rotation adds literally nothing to the game, the format is already dominated by the newer sets and power fluctuates defending on what’s banned which is supposed to be the whole point of set rotation. Even though this objectively does not happen with games with set rotation.

As to the current format everyone whines about every format eternally so I literally could not care less about what dumb poo poo Yu gi oh players are on about now. As three months from now they will say they miss the format and you can bring back whatever deck was king poo poo.

It happened with Zoo Spyral and Strikers. It will happen with dragon link and infernobleknight.

Which gets to the point, Yu gi oh players may whine a lot but they actually have no idea what they want.

Combo is to fast, control is to slow. I want interaction. I hate interaction that stops me. So on and so on.

I don't necessarily agree that the format is fine (I think if you banned VFD and Halq it would probably be okay, to be fair), but I can see your argument. You have not even tried to explain why set rotation would kill the game immediately.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ungulateman posted:

The closest equivalent to Pokemon's supporter system is the part where you can only normal summon once per turn. Yu-Gi-Oh's 'problem', if you see it that way, is that you can just stuff your deck with cards that don't care about that restriction - kind of like if Pokemon item cards were basically as strong as supporters.

The trade-off is that the game is way brickier and actually doing exciting things is a lot harder if you are obliged to only summon one monster per turn, and every extra deck summoning type since fusion has been built around there being some degree of extra summoning (synchro doesn't function without some way of getting tuners and/or non-tuners out, xyz requires a minimum of 2 monsters if it isn't zoodiac specifically, [trif voice] PENDULUMS, and links are links).

Changing this is hard, which is why the game is weird and/or 'sucks' right now. You want to avoid both 'I spent my entire hand to make two VFDs and now you don't get to play the game' and 'I set four omni-negates/interruptions and play a 1500 beater, pass', not to mention 'activate mystic mine, pass'.

It's less that I have a problem with the way modern Yugioh works (I don't) and more that the rate of power creep seems unsustainable, and the banlist just doesn't slow it down.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://ygorganization.com/new-digital-title-announced/

An official simulator, probably? That said, I just realized that they probably wouldn't go through the effort of making it work for the TCG, given the different banlists and card pools between the two formats.

E: I guess it could be another console game. That would be kinda lame, but I'd still probably pick it up.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 19, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm guessing another video game, yeah. Maybe this one will have some actual charm and effort put into it and Duel Links will stop being the best Yu-Gi-Oh game since GX Duel Academy.

Seriously, would it kill them to get some VAs? I know Dan Green's kind of a big deal now, but they could at least afford knockoffs.

I like Link Evolution, but it's undeniably a low effort cash in, yeah. One thing that's interesting is they're working on a Master Duel style game in the Sevens era. Assuming it's a video game and not a simulator, do you think they're going to come up with a new story, or just pretend Sevens doesn't exist?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

Definitely this, if it's another nostalgia grab. (Which, let's be real, they usually are.)

The alternative is that it is a Rush Duels/Sevens game, which would actually be pretty cool.

Sevens never uses the phrase Master Duel, so I think it's unlikely to be a Rush Duel game.

They have done original stories in these before, but given recent history I definitely agree that it's more likely to be a nostalgia grab.

drrockso20 posted:

Link Evolution's only real flaw is how overly cheap and aggresive the AI is, like I've talked before about how unnecessarily mean it is
Well, that and the poor performance/frequent crashes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_RUSHDUEL/status/1340536156081950722

Yup! Rush Duel game for the Switch!

Edit: According to my friend's message on Telegram:

"Get your decks ready: an all new YuGiOh game has been announced for Nintendo Switch!

Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel is a card game introduced in Japan alongside the Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS anime. Players can Normal Summon any number of monsters from their hand in one turn, as well as draw until at least five cards are in their hand. In the Switch game, players will be able to battle against the characters that appear in the Yu-Gi-Oh! SEVENS anime."

Further information will be announced at a later date.

Hahahah, incredible.

E: Come to think of it, if that's the same thing as the post from the other day, A) why bother announcing a "Master Duel Digital Title" a day in advance of the announcement?, and B) wouldn't this be the first time they've used Master Duel to refer to rush duels?

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 20, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Welp, I'm doubleposting, just found out this article exists.
https://beyondtheduel.com/new-digital-title-master-duel-announced/

This actually has slightly more information on the new "digital title" that I posted about before. While YGOrganization basically only had that it's a new title, this article says:

quote:

During the stream, the new title was described as being similar to Duel Links as a digital title, except that while Duel Links uses Speed Duel rules, this title will be using the Master Rules!

That actually points at it probably being an official online simulator, which is exciting as hell.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

It already did, it didn't stick.

I could see them putting a bit more pressure on when they're trying to launch their own.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

They can't even stop the pedophiles from moving to new Discord servers, I don't think they're gonna manage to stop small-time pirates.

To be fair, I also think the motivation for maintaining unofficial simulators will also largely go away with an official one around.

Of course, that also runs on the assumption that the official simulator is any good, which given Konami's history is not a guarantee.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I think Legacy of the Duelist (and Duel Links, honestly) shows that if Konami wanted to make a simulator, it would be a good simulator in terms of 'plays the game comfortably and well' (which is the main thing I can really say about the unofficial simulators, anyway). The main things in question are ongoing support and a solid experience outside of the actual dueling in regards to single-player content or good ways to get cards, which they're inconsistent about.

Look, I had a great time with Legacy of the Duelist, but it had two major issues outside of ongoing support (granted, this is the Switch version.) First off, the game crashed constantly, especially after the DUOV patch, and that's a problem. The other issue, which would be an issue even if the game was stable, is that it was extremely slow. From my experience playing Link Evo and seeing how EDOPro performs, Link Evo is an order of magnitude slower, and I don't think many players will tolerate that.

But that being said, Duel Links doesn't have either of those problems. It's reasonably speedy and it's stable. So if Konami put in the effort, I agree they could make an official simulator that's good enough to get people to migrate off the unofficial ones. I agree that the official simulator needs to have ongoing support and a good way to get cards.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

I never had any crash issues with the Switch version of Legacy of the Duelist, but I admit I was only ever playing its campaign, so I also can't attest to any crashing or slowness on the online side of things (although having played other simulators, I know that online YGO has long periods of nothing where you assume things have gone wrong anyway). I did notice that the AI was kinda confusingly slow on its turns, though; I can't imagine it was doing a whole lot. It never really bothered me, though, since I'm used to card games being fairly slow and patient affairs.

It crashed a LOT for me, but it might just be that I was using custom decks, I dunno. I mostly did the campaign and challenge duels, and it was just very frequent crashing. As for the speed issue, I'm mostly talking about how long any given action takes. Like, if you have several monsters on field, the battle phase will take a minute or so even without a response from your opponent, because you have to declare an attack, wait for the animation to conclude, wait for the resolution of battle to go through, then repeat until it's over. Just a lot of really minor things that are really unnecessarily slow. Again, as far as I can tell, that's mostly not an issue in Duel Links.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
If an official simulator pops up that's both easily accessible and reasonably affordable*, I think people will tend to head there, even though edopro (and dueling book, which somehow hasn't come up in this conversation despite being where the more serious players tend to congregate) offers it for free. That's just the pattern, right?

*If anything, this will be what keeps people on the unofficial services.

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason I keep pushing for a reboot of the main game, I love the game itself, but I loathe what it's become in terms of speed and complexity due to the current card pool, Duel Links meanwhile dumbs things down too much(and even then is beginning to have power creep problems) and is too grindy/pay to win, and Rush Duels even if they do eventually leave Japan will probably be a dead format after a couple years anyways and thus would probably be a waste of time to get too invested in anyways

I've seen someone throw around the idea that this is another alternative format, and that's honestly not a terrible idea as long as it's normal yugioh and not Duel Links.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

No other game has a free simulator as in depth and well-crafted as EDO-pro. It will also ironically get cards before the official simulator.

I'm not talking about other simulators here, I'm talking about piracy in general. Like, how many people pirate music nowadays?

drrockso20 posted:

True if it is the regular rules* and they properly curate the card pool(don't clog it with all the useless first couple of DM sets era fodder, but at the same time keep out as much of the broken poo poo from more recent years as possible) and even apply errata to cards(they've done this a couple times in Duel Links but they really need to use it a lot more) then this could be something good

*the one thing I wouldn't mind them keeping from Duel Links are those skills that characters have that change up the game in little ways, was the best idea Duel Links had

There are absolutely a lot of open questions here, but speculation is fun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Magmar posted:

Piracy is probably the most common criminal action globally, and definitely a lot of people do it. Especially if you ask music companies who would very much like everything but paying them money per listen to be piracy.

Obviously you can never kill piracy entirely, and the media companies won't be satisfied until the rates actually hit zero, but rates have still noticeably declined since companies started making things easier.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cleretic posted:

My favorite example here is the Arrowverse, the interconnected DC shows on the CW. In the US that's no sweat, since they're all on the CW and then hit Netflix, and that's the same for a decent amount of countries. But in Australia? You have to subscribe to literally every single streaming service there is, including the one you can only get with a cable subscription, because they all have at least one exclusive. And until this year that still didn't get you everything, because Supergirl was on none of them until a whole new streaming service cropped up and picked it up as one of their big marquee titles.

I definitely expect this stuff to cause piracy to start going back up, because the entire reason that stuff worked (where it worked) is because they made it easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

Wait. I think I missed something.

Why does everyone think we're getting an official simulator?

This article reporting on Jump Festa.
https://beyondtheduel.com/new-digital-title-master-duel-announced/

quote:

A brand new digital title “Master Duel (Temporary title)” is currently in production!

During the stream, the new title was described as being similar to Duel Links as a digital title, except that while Duel Links uses Speed Duel rules, this title will be using the Master Rules!