Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guys, guys, guys.

Skull Servant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The true Cipher archetype is Blue-Eyes running Galaxy-Eyes Xyz monsters in the Extra Deck.

I can't imagine anyone would play Cipher cards other than Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't used it myself, but YGOPro 2 looks pretty good from PhoenixFlareX's videos.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was bored so I booted up Duel Links again (having played a little a long while ago) and I just don't really know what to do.

I beat Joey but then I'm stumped, Weevil's twice his level and I have no idea what to do deck-wise, right now I'm just running the Jaden Structure Deck, without a Skill since the only one I have is the one that sets Mountain. Any tips?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love seeing Skull Servants being best deck because they sure are so this video is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJxjr6ZwCik

Look at those 12k Kings, beautiful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is the kind of ad that can sell me a product.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Number 5: Death Chimera Dragon is having an actual release.

A card we never saw, who we got the Chaos version of, and several years after Zexal finished.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised after Cosmo Blazar Dragon but still, this is unexpected.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Imagine if Konami had Bushiroad's balls.

You feeling nostalgic? Here, the new Yu-Gi-Oh! series is literally the first series again, but reanimated! Also we're errataing all the old cards so we don't have to think of new ones! Also no Extra Deck anymore.

Also imagine if we still had a Vanguard thread so I could post that there instead of having to link it with the other card game anime, sigh. Though I can't say I'm not wondering about what a YGO reboot of that level would be like.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can see the reasoning for most of the changes but I can't understand Rank-Up-Magic Argent Chaos Force. Someone explain this to me, please.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey, Yugi gets to appear in the new Shonen Jump crossover game with Dark Magician. That hasn't happened since, what, Jump Ultimate Stars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKERVwqr0o

Also that new Or...Orph...that new machine archetype looks like a lot of fun even if I won't ever be able to spell its name. Send monsters to the graveyard, banish them to special summon, then the Link monsters take care of the banished ones, it's a neat synergy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyroi posted:

Speaking of video games, it looks like we're getting a new version of Legacy of the Duelist.

I sure hope it isn't another DLC fest because that'll make me buy it as much as I bought the previous one (I won't).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This isn't about the card game itself but the Arc-V manga just ended. Overall, it was an excellent product, far better than the gigantic mess that was the anime version, with very good highs and pretty much no lows whatsoever. It was a very cheerful series too that didn't try to turn its main character into a pendulum of emotions (hah). I recommend it, which is more than I can say about the anime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

SD is a chance for Konami to really rebalance YGO into a non hosed state whole keeping the nostalgia cards.

Lol we said that about links
Lol we also said that about DL

YGO can only go one direction and it's up in how hosed up it is. That much is very much clear at this point. It's just going to become more solitaire with time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New YGO series announced for 2020. Start making your bets on new mechanics and how it'll start decently then horribly jump the shark and turn awful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Julias posted:

So they're just gonna steal the guard mechanic from vanguard then :v: I guess that works as an extension of the hand trap mechanism.

If this mess of a game wants to steal something from Vanguard, the complete reset to the game would be a nice one. Restart from zero, new adaptation of the original manga that actually follows the manga but with the new cards that restart the game from zero to make a more balanced and fun game (note: I have no idea if this worked in Vanguard and I don't trust Konami at all to make it work in YGO, I just want an actual adaptation of the original manga)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean there's no way any of the modern stuff is gonna be legal in these Rush duels right, any more than you could play them in physical Speed Duels.

Rush Duels can only be played with Rush Duel cards. You can't play them with basic YGO cards, so no. It's a completely separate format which will likely grow on its own way, like Speed Duels did.

That said, the biggest difference here is that Rush Duel cards already have monsters that don't exist in the main card game, so I wonder if those will get released there too or not. Also, we don't know anything about an Extra Deck existing there, but we also know very little right now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I know this isn't the anime thread but that one seems even more dead than this one so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4v863uJorw

When the hell did this start? I heard nothing about it, I accidentally found the opening just now.

I'm also not digging the opening but that's another matter entirely, I'm surprised at how little importance this had.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Skeleton Mom posted:

meanwhile in duel links,

\

they may have overtuned some of the skills they give you for this event somewhat

Please explain that to us non Duel Link players because that looks hilarious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope you enjoyed Sevens because it's going on hiatus again, returning August 8th for episode 10.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Barudak posted:

I want the next series of yugioh to be all about ritual summoning and maybe introduce more interesting ritual cards instead of just fancy tributes.

"In order to summon a monster with this card, select a vowel a, e, i, o, or u. As long as the monster you ritual summoned with this card is on the field, you may no longer play cards or activate the effects of cards with that vowel in their name"

While not quite as ridiculous, one of the new Ritual Spells we got cares specifically about the ATK of the monsters you tribute, not the levels, so that's a change. Its archetype works for it too, since it's made out of a bunch of 2000 ATK monsters and its Ritual boss has 4000 ATK and specifically wants two tributes to get it on the field to activate its effect.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

thetoughestbean posted:

You do not want to experience the VRAINS story

I mean, it's a fine story. It's kind of charmless but it's competently executed. VRAINS doesn't have particularly terrible lows, it just doesn't have great highs either. It's the very epitome of an okay series.

Meanwhile SEVENS is excellent and it's getting a dub now it seems!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ungulateman posted:

but you still take the damage

Arc-V did a lot wrong since it went from fun card games to multiversal war, so much wrong that it's shocking to this day how much the quality of the series dropped, but I still think that having the last goddamn line in the last goddamn duel of the goddamn series be the one that the entire fandom was goddamn tired of, was an extremely funny move. Especially because how it was done made it very clear that the writers were entirely aware of it.

Sadly, the series still took the damage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Navigate Guardian is an excellent pun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It makes some sense for me to consider this real, if only because the anime just literally did exactly that. Yuuga created an Original Duel Development Road so now anyone can make their own rules about two episodes ago. It makes sense in the story itself, but it's even more logical if it was essentially setting up for Konami opening up to new rulesets in real life too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel is out on Steam (and other places, I imagine). I just did the basic tutorial and it's...fine? The music gets grating though, especially now that it's downloading even more data. I do like the effects, though the graveyard being a weird orb instead of a card pile is not good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

Why the gently caress is Konami even still censoring cards anyway? Are we really still stuck in the 50s mindset of "If Little Timmy sees an exposed thigh he'll turn into wanton, drug-addicted sex fiend"?

YGO never got out of the 4Kids era, even outside of the anime. Cards are randomly renamed for no reason (sometimes causing bad issues down the line) and artwork is constantly censored. It's genuinely really bad but also it'll never stop because it sells anyways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FreezingInferno posted:

And who could forget our old friend Arsenal Summoner?

I wonder how many of those are entirely the responsibility of the translation, and how many just had the word Guardian in Japanese originally...

-Celitc Guardian: Originally Elf Swordsman. Translation's fault.
-Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #1: Originally Fortress-Protecting Winged Dragon. I'm willing to put this one on the Japanese side, since it's a pretty logical translation of the original name.
-Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #2: Originally Wyvern. Translation's fault.
-Guardian of the Labyrinth: Originally Watchman of the Underworld. A Watchman is sort of a Guardian, I guess?
-The Reliable Guardian: Direct translation of the Japanese name, so this one isn't the translation's fault.

So two are 100% renames that didn't need to happen, one is a logical translation that went wrong, one is sort of that but not as much, and one's a direct translation. Surprisingly fine when you consider other examples.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I wouldn't really blame the translators for the Guardians issue, they had no way of knowing that the word would randomly start mattering. A lot of those cards predated the idea of archetypes.

I partly would though. The cards that already had a Japanese equivalent to "guardian" aren't their fault, but they had no real reason to rename a bunch of things which later caused issues.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neo_Crimson posted:

Let's be honest, Monster Reborn's weird crystal jellyfish is way more iconic than the uncensored ankh in the OCG.

This one is true enough that they actually backported the design into the OCG later. It's a really cool design.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is there any of those you people would recommend? Now I'm interested in watching one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

Both decks swarm pretty good, i think the idea is that xyz reflects how yugi relied on friendship while synchros reflect how kaiba was more of a loner.

I'm pretty sure Blue-Eyes WHITE Dragon got Synchro because they have a white border while Dark Magician (in Japanese, BLACK Magician) got Xyz because they have a black border. Similarly, Red-Eyes BLACK Dragon also got Xyz because they have a black border.

The lack of a Duel Monsters important character ace with purple/violet, green, or blue in their names has stopped a lot of interesting possibilities from happening.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

serefin99 posted:

I mean, Red-Eyes, Blue-Eyes, and Dark Magician all have rituals and fusions, and I'm not sure what color green is supposed to mean here? Pendulum?

Of course they have Rituals and Fusions, those existed in the DM era (though I did point out Fusion nonetheless, that was probably unimportant). Blue was meant to be Links, not Rituals. Green was meant to be Pendulum, yes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"Don't let the other person play" has been YGO's driving aspect for a while now, so a deck that just locks every opponent zone while also banishing their entire deck face-down just feels like a completely logical step for the game at this point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/yugioh/com...nt=1&utm_term=1

Yugipedia is back and not a moment too soon.

I'm glad, it's been missed. YGOwiki just isn't the same.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution is on sale in PS Store, is it worth it for a person that hasn't played the actual card game since the early Pendulum era (and even there barely and was never particularly good at it) but follows the anime and Yugitubers? I like playing YGO, but I also know I'm very far behind in terms of how the game works now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've definitely gotten to the point in Link Evolution where I can't continue using the story decks, which kind of annoys me since that was what got me playing the game in the first place since I'm an anime fan, not an actual card game player and haven't been for years. I did very little of classic and GX, until Bommer vs Rua in 5D's, a bit more of Zexal, got to the Fusion Dimension in Arc-V and did literally nothing beyond the tutorial in Vrains because Gouki happened.

Any tips on how to build and play a deck for someone that hasn't played for years but has some rudimentary knowledge of the game and follows several people on Youtube?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Skeleton Mom posted:

"exodia but it's an actual supported summoning mechanic" is such an obvious slam dunk that it's shocking it took this long for them to figure it out

That's just more proof Rush Duels are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't know why (it may be because I keep reading and laughing at AI-made cards) but this card came to me in a dream.

"Ojama Five
Normal Trap Card

If there are no monsters on the field: Special Summon five "Ojama Tokens" (Beast-Type/LIGHT/Level 2/ATK 0/DEF 1000) to either side of the field in Defense Position. They cannot be used as material for an Extra Deck Summon except for the Summon of an "Ojama" monster, in which case they can be used as a substitute for any "Ojama" monster."

I added a bit of detail and cleaned up the text but that's how it worked in my dream. The art was similar to Ojama Trio but added Ojama Red and Blue.