Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

That is a challenge. If we're counting punching sports action, Rocky Balboa is a great comeback movie. Stronger than his work on some flicks like Rocky 5 (not too tough to top).

Toxic Avenger 4 is stronger than 3, that's a while later. Bit of a genre blend there.

And of course, Lloyd Kaufman played a drunk in the first Rocky and helped behind the scenes.

I watched Toxic Avenger for the first time at an outdoor theater.

The movie loving rocks. Bizarre, hilarious, weirdly uplifting. No fat, just fun things happening every scene. And it ends before it gets old.

First Troma movie i watched from beginning to end. Then Kabukiman came on, too long imo, fell asleep in parts.

Any other Troma flicks as tight as Toxic 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

George P. Cosmatos made up for the lack of great shot choices in this by passing down to his son like, maximum great shot choice ability as we've seen in Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy. I mean that on every level too as Panos was second unit on Tombstone which was also directed by his dad and then was able to make Beyond the Black Rainbow with residuals from it. :D

You ever read the interview where Kurt Russell comes and out and says he directed Tombstone and told Cosmos to take a nap or something for the entire shoot?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

this thread just made watch most of Kung Fury for the first time, drat shame, I was with the aesthetic for the first couple minutes, until it was made clear that it was a jumble of irony jokes that weren't particularly funny

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I really couldn't get into Danger 5. I gave it a good go, but good gags were stuck in a poorly paced show with a lot of dead space

did you get to S2

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wtf

Thats so much photoshop they just used the paint icon for most of the main dude

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He doesn't meet up to the standards of the pantheon of WEIRD MEN unless he's not good at anything but believes and invests with an inscrutable amount of money into the idea that he is great in everything

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

poonchasta posted:

For films in a modern setting, check out Kiss of the Dragon and Danny the Dog/Unleashed. Avoid any of his English speaking films made in America. Also, Endless Ocean if you are interested in a drama with zero martial arts.

Edit: or is it called Ocean Heaven? It's something with Ocean in the title.

unironically Lethal Weapon 4, he's loving great at that

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 22, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1CqVrGXdo This loving rules

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Whatever happened to Chow Yun-Fat? There was a time where he rode his Hong Kong fame into America, but it seemed to have swept him away, just as fast. Did he just give up and head back to HK? Leave showbiz, entirely?

And agreed -- Replacement Killers is pretty stylish for a B-movie. Apparently Mira Sorvino (sp?) was rotten to him, on set

Tried to find anything on that and found this instead

quote:

You’d never know it, but Mira Sorvino speaks five – count 'em, five languages, including Mandarin Chinese. By contrast, Chow Yun-Fat’s native tongue is Cantonese, although he also speaks Mandarin to a lesser degree.

This dynamic helped Sorvino translate English for Chow Yun-Fat, allowing him to adapt to the script at a time when he was just beginning to pick up English as another language. Is that convenient, or what?

BLAME IT ON QUENTIN

At the time, Sorvino was dating Hollywood director extraordinaire Quentin Tarantino, and it was he who convinced her to take on the role of Meg Coburn. His reason? She had to work with an Asian action legend like Chow Yun-Fat.

Tarantino’s admiration of the actor, and Asian cinema as a whole was passionate enough to convince Sorvino to agree. We owe him one, there. Sorvino turned out one excellent performance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I have a few more suggestions and recomendations for that list if you'd like. It's an interest of mine. I did a bit of kali/eskrima as a young man and a good knife fight is loving terrifying.

Raid 2?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

You should watch The Night Comes for Us. Now that movie is brutal as hell and is from the raid guys. Hammer girl is a supporting character and has some crazy cool fights. Honestly the movie probably has the most original action scenes and brutality I've seen in a movie in the longest time

That movie exhausted me. How many loving potential protagonists did it go thru.

Anyway Boss Level was great. Fantastic screenplay and expertly directed by Joe Carnahan, who is prob the most underrated director in Hwood. Apparently him and Grillo formed a production company together to pump oit movies after previously workong together in the Grey, another perfect genre movie. loving Peckinpah/Oates collab redux.

Curious to know what ppl thought about the action itself in the movie. Kinda feel like it was thw only.minor flaw. Dunno if it was the lower stakes from the premise, the more surreal comedic angle of the script, or just how good action has been generally, but I thought it didnt really hit that hard or have especially good setpieces.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Hell yeah, definitely!

Check out how pumped up it's trailer is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAJI-z7l_c
:drat:

its funny to think that John Lithgow used to just be the bad guy in movies. Tho he's a fantastic serial killer/assassin in Blow Out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

Yakuza Apocalypse is like Miike wrote the script for a yakuza movie then dropped some acid beginning work on the second draft.

sounds like Point Blank, one of the greatest movies of all time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Ah the 80s. You just might like the Miami Vice episode Viking Bikers From Hell, story by John Milius, with Reb Brown as the big villain. We're talking about 47 of 1987's finest action packed minutes. Pretty funny too, and most righteous.

While I randomly recommend Vice eps, The Home Invaders directed by Abel Ferrara is a great ep.

Also Streets of Fire rules, can't miss that movie.

The Killer is my fav 80s action movie, and a fav movie in general. For that fun cheese zen I go for Commando. For further down the cheese path, big Michael Dudikoff fan. Avenging Force, American Ninja, etc. B-movie fun zen like No Retreat No Surrender, classics like Bloodsport. Lots of HK, Duel to the Death, what a movie.

So many to choose from! My fav 80s Stallone movie is Rocky 3 I think, honorable mention to First Blood.

Streets of Fire and Cobra. Lol cannot get enough of leather men clanging their weapons in unison on the street.

Streets of Fire is such a pure movie, just not even bothering to stop from the first minute. Walter Hill is a treasure.

E: the movie loving ends in a sledgehammer fight

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol that stretch in the 80s when JAMAICAN GANGBANGERS were in every movie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Ioan Grillo had a good chapter in one of his books explaining the conditions that lead to that dominating the imagination for that brief period.

what were the conditions, increasing amount of immigrants from the Caribbean?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

goddamn sally field was a stone cold fox in Smokey and the Bandit

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Definitely a fan of the practical stuff but (and oh god I know this makes me a giant nerd) but I always appreciate when movies or shows take the time to train their actors with modern (or period appropriate) tactics and gear. In Strike Back, Stonebridge is easily one of the most competent actors I have seen with a handgun and like I said the way they wore their gear during the show evolved as some changes came down due to all the wars going on.

That being said I really don't mind if poo poo is wrong as long as it's enjoyable (I have watched hard boiled like seven times since finally buying the DVD) but I also really like when stuff gets thrown in that maybe an untrained person wouldn't notice. Oddly enough the show Barry was one of the best examples of this specifically when he and the other marine raid the warehouse. Also please don't judge me for nerding on about this.

wanna go more into the Barry example? I dont know much about military tactics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It's also that taking a bit of consideration and grounding a characters actions tend to straight up make the action scenes better. Wick having to reload a lot helps set the rythmn for the gun fights. It feels more like a person moving through a space and doing things than someone in a blank void where mooks simply pop into existence to be shot.

On that, I really wish Marvel would stop doing the scene where the henchmen, who have guns, just run at the hero to get karated because it's too hard to choreograph a fight where the hero moves from person to person. Black Widow had an especially bad example of this where Natasha is on a catwalk filled with baddies, but all of them are aiming their guns at the helicopter except for the one that's currently charging at her.

It's a shame since the apartment fight is genuinely the first really good action scene the franchise has produced in ages.

I was literally going to post about the movie here after watching the first Act, the subsequent ones then made me realize its not really an action movie. Shame.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yup gun shooting is only fun in 2 ways, super realistic or completely bonkers. Nothing in between.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah, JCVD fridays are an excuse to do an online hangout with my brother and some friends. He's way more into JCVD than I am but it has been fascinating to watch the highs and lows of JCVD's career. What's interesting is JCVD has not entirely checked out like Bruce Willis or Steven Seagal. There's some good movies in his later career like Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning - some ensemble pieces that are fine like Swelter and Welcome to the Jungle (a comedy!) and of course JCVD the film itself is great. On the other hand, he made a lot of films with HK directors like Ringo Lam and some of them are just miserable. In Hell is a mean-spirited prison movie without any redeeming elements.

I need to rewatch Double Impact/Sudden Impact for an Impact Impact marathon

I remember Knock Off starting in the most ridiculous way, JCVD pulling a rickshaw as Rob Schneider whips him lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

duz posted:

It's as enjoyable as the others, also just as unsubtle.

I've only watched portions of these movies whenever they pop up on TV, but I really liked the bit I saw where Grillo is basically the Terminator.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I finally watched Chocolate , directed by the guy who did the tony jaa thai stuff, about an autistic chick who learns to fight watching jaa's movies

i did not expect it to go nearly as hard as it did, it started with jackie chan style setpiece fights in cool places but dear god how did they film the final action scene on the side of a roof, it seemed like it was just stuntmen plummeting off to get crushed

edit oh my god the outtakes holy christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMn4X8y_VY8 2:48 or so good lord

I've never seen a blooper reel that made me more morally conflicted. Jesus christ, I think my mind was telling them it wasn't worth it.

Great movie tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just looked it up. One 77 minute fight scene being the movie sounds baller as gently caress. But I guess its boring as hell to watch?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like Megalobox, if you're in the mood for grounded, cool action.

e: oh yeah Castlevania

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 3, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Face...OFF

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Payndz posted:

It's 2 hours 18. Which is on the higher end of length for an action movie, but still a long way short of the bloated near-three-hour marathons that have somehow become the fashion.

Put it this way, it's only a minute longer than the theatrical cut of Aliens, and it's rare for anyone to say that needed trimming.

get rid of the will they/won't they incest plot and you'll easily get under 2 hours.

You know what's funny? The best action I've seen lately is loving Peacemaker.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Octy posted:

I feel mean, but that was my first reaction as well. :(

It's not dementia, though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60934576

Afaik aphasia can be a symptom of dementia

Anyone remember Willis popping up in the comment thread on Ain't It Cool News and showing a pic of himself to prove that it was him

Maybe he had those symptoms for awhile

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Make better movies idiots

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of Michele Yeoh just watched Everything Everywhere At Once and she absolutely kicks so much rear end there. Kinda a spoiler, but it's revealed if you watch the trailer. loving astounding movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I'm slowly working through this giant backlog and... is Project A the best all around jackie chan movie? I really enjoyed it and wasn't as let down by the non action scenes as I often am. having Sammo and Biao helped a ton

Just looked at the trailer. Lol, never seen it but have seen the behind scene bits. That tower stunt is insane, and there's a video of Chan doing it over and over again.

e: found this vid, jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-LmaccB74

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Then, I know he's been a joke for a long time but the very end of the 80s through the very beginning of the 90s, Seagal was really quite a revelation. His early three-word-title films, the first three, are all great action flicks IMO. He doesn't top Arnie or even come close but he really stood out for me, for a few years there.

Feels like with Seagal, he was carried by the production and actors around him. He's this weird squinty dude flapping his arms around and running hilariously while Tommy Lee Jones or Henry Silva actually carry the movie.

Lol found this on the Above the Law wiki:

It has been reported that Seagal was asked to make the film by his former aikido pupil, agent Michael Ovitz, who believed that he could make anyone a movie star. It was set and filmed in Chicago, Illinois, over 60 days between April 27 and June 26, 1987.[6]

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 16, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Speaking of formative 80s(ish) film figures, Walter Hill's directoral run of Hard Times, The Driver, The Warriors, The Long Riders, Southern Comfort, 48hrs and Streets of Fire (plus a hands on producer role on Alien) is incredible, then after that you can really start to see him struggle with the way Arnold and others changed the action landscape.

Just watched 48 hours and most of Another 48 hours for the first time and other than the first movie's insane amount of racist dialogue (INSANE), there was a deep drop off in the quality between the two, and I'm not sure why. Same director, same set-up, I guess there's more of a focus on inert bad guys? I don't know.

Also Eddie Murphy's arc in the first movie is to get laid, with him just barking at random women to gently caress him and trying at one point to pretend to be a lawyer to gently caress some ladies in a closet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah 48 hours gets pretty uncomfortable, wasn't a huge fan so didn't watch the sequel. However, if anyone reading this threat hasn't seen "Streets of Fire," just go and watch it right now. Don't even see a trailer or read anything about it. It rules.

Everything about this movie slaps. Including the music, whoo boy.

Sledgehammer final fight

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The only thing I remember from Eraser is those stupid guns

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MI:1 is so loving good. It really holds up and has style for days. Also the climactic train scene is so loving cool come on.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

brocked posted:

Not looks like, it's that one-note oily voice and demeanor

It really works for him in stuff like Doubt and the Master

Andy Dick has a piercing high voice and PSH has a deep burly voice lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The only thing I've seen of Ambulance is that behind the scenes clip floating in twjtter a few months ago of a stunt involving an ambulance almost taking out half a dozen crew members. Bat is absolutely going to do a Landis one day.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

I caught The Gray Man on Netflix last night and woof, that's a miss. I'm thinking the Russo bros were talking about streaming and how cinemas are elitist because they kinda knew if this was a traditional theatrical release it would sink without a trace. It's basically a subpar Bourne film, with bad imitation Michael Bay action.

Best thing about the film is the cast, Chris Evans clearly just said gently caress it and went for it, but the action scenes are poor, the only exceptions being the two fight scenes with Dhanush's character. The plane crash and the tram scene could have been done well by better filmmakers, but they are extremely badly filmed here, camera too close and too much movement. It's like they studied Michael Bay's filmmaking and decided to do that, but to be honest, without any of Bay's skill or energy. They even do drone shots here like the ones in AmbuLAnce, but they just pale in comparison. It's just really hard for action this pedestrian to get a pass in the same year we all saw Top Gun: Maverick.

And the story doesn't even pretend to end, just trying to set up sequels I guess, the movie basically just stops rather than climaxing. Hard pass.

I was gonna say Top Gun Maverick is the best action movie I've seen this year. And you know what the secret is? I never knew who or if anyone was gonna die! That never happens in a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I never really got into John Wick and i just really cant express what doesnt click...i saw the first one, liked it okay, think i watched one other sequel, but for some reason they all pass thru me leaving no memory. Compared to say, Collateral, which I cherish and remember well.
I know it's a premier action franchise tho and I do sometimes look up some of the sequel fights and think "that looks cool but im still not watching this movie". Dunno what it is, I'll just force myself at some point.

I dont even think of Collateral as a an action movie really. Thriller yeah but I wouldn't consider it in the same genre as Wick