Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

filmcynic posted:

Robert Patrick in T2

Hands down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

CelticPredator posted:

I liked the music in that scene.

That’s really it though lol. But it was better than the book!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZrsJsvL30g

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Agreed. A lot of the beauty of the first Wick was the sparse, almost fairy tale quality of the world building

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Do the ghost riders count?

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 14, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I saw some very nice nods to John Woo there, which I appreciate.

More things need to steal the Warriors radio DJ and I'm glad to see it here

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Anyone seen Singham? I was interested after seeing a gif of him pulling someone out of a spinning car but the opening 15 minutes were so poorly paced I tapped out before seeing any of the action sequences. 30s of someone DRAMATICALLY. WALKING. DOWN. A HALLWAY. with slo-mo and multiple angles.

Should I have held out?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I can't find it but there was a WaPo review of Blade 2 where the first paragraph was a quote from a French film critic about cinema's role in capturing reality and connecting it to the viewer and the second paragraph was:
"This is what he would say if he saw Blade 2:" followed by a paragraph of screaming

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Neo Rasa posted:

What a loving nerd because you can watch OG Irma Vep and they're just straight up like yeah John Woo action movies are the truest cinema

TBC I think they were establishing their film snob bona fides before they started gushing about how Blade 2 has katanas and vampires and freaky mutants

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Wick is also completely exhausted.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

speaking of FatF, I'm really surprised there isn't a multi-player coop game where you play a band of car wizard thieves

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think anyone wants to license all the actors and without them what’s the fuckin point?

Have you never done sick jumps in a game just because you could?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

trevorreznik posted:

If you merge the dance like posed fighting in Shaw Brothers stuff with gunkata from equilibrium you get modern gun action. It's impressive but empty

Not really because that sounds sick as hell

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I played a tabletop character who was a planar entity from the elemental demiplane of John Woo. It was a dual-wielding flock of doves in a trenchcoat

Gamma World

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 5, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Project A 2 and Snake in Eagle's Shadow, both are good classic Jackie Chan movies

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Octy posted:

What's the consensus on the second film? I'm about halfway through and... it's not great.

IMO the back half is the stronger half. I really liked it but I'm a del Toro fan. The final fight is dope.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The One 2

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

TBF it's not just an action thing, it's been a trend in movies for decades. it's just particularly egregious in action movies.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

peekaboo gangster posted:

"Let's see, he's made fun of almost every single group here.."
"WHAT ABOUT VAMPIRES"
(hushed murmur comes over the table)

I had no desire to watch it and now I kinda do

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Basebf555 posted:

It's an aesthetic/design problem the way I see it. If your over the top action movie is gonna be a greenscreen fest because of budget concerns, you need to lean into that. Take the movie to some colorful settings, give the audience some fun stuff to look at on those greenscreens instead of just drab browns and grays. The whole aesthetic of The Expendables movies holds the series back from being a lot more entertaining than it is. I'm not sure why Stallone seems to think that's the look that signifies a classic 80s action throwback, which I thought is what The Expendables is supposed to be.

They should just lean into it and go the Bunraku/Sucker Punch route

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

If you haven't watched Fury Road, watch Fury Road.

If you have watched Fury Road, watch it again.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Lukewarm take: Commando probably isn't even in the top 10 Arnold vehicles

its fine :effort:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I'll bite

Terminator 2, Terminator, Total Recall, Predator, Conan the Barbarian
those occupy the top 5 spots. You could shuffle the order, maybe argue Conan (though you'd be wrong), but fundamentally uncontroversial Top 5 Ahnold

Now it gets tricky, more apples to oranges
Is Commando better then True Lies? Running Man? Conan the Destroyer? Kindergarten cop? Maggie?

If we restrict it to action movies, sure. But over his whole career no loving way is Commando top ten

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 7, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Gonz posted:

Jason Statham stabs a guy in the throat, and then goes “By the powers vested in me, I now pronounce you man and KNIFE!”

Expendables movies are overlong and insanely self-indulgent but goddamn do they occasionally inject pure uncut 80s action movie straight into your veins

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Unlike Commando, Predator benefits from having a high concept that permits it to skip the legwork. Alien big game hunter. Boom, you have all the information necessary for the last act. You could try to poke holes in the geopolitics of them being there but it doesn't matter because ALIEN BIG GAME HUNTER. There are obviously more pressing concerns.

Commando doesn't have that and it suffers for it. John Matrix has to fight his former commander because they're trying to kill him because ? and Rae Dawn Chong is there because ? and there's something about an assassination?
You can sit back and just appreciate the action but you have to make the conscious choice not to think about it

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

On the theme of martial arts movies from unexpected quarters, Polite Society also sounds pretty baller

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

morestuff posted:

I liked the movie itself just fine but thought the action sequences were by far the worst part

aww darn

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

My buddy and I were talking about the latest Jacob Geller video essay and the issue of appropriation in the context of rear end-beating movies came up. Apparently back when Sifu (amazing game, btw) came out there was some Discourse about how an Asian-pastiche game made by a predominantly White French studio rubbed some people the wrong way. The (IMO reasonable) counter-point being that it's really a homage to martial arts movies, not real asian culture; and while martial arts cinema is inextricably linked with the asian cultures it arose from but it'd be like getting mad that a spaghetti Western isn't an accurate portrayal of frontier life.

Anyway this got me thinking about movies about punching dudes and what would be the Western contributions to the canon of movies about punching real good, in the same vein that media like Sifu lovingly references the Raid and Old Boy.

What say you, action thread? What Western movies/media do you think future media will reference the same way we mark out over a side view long shot of a green hallway?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Goddammit it why did I completely space the existence of the Matrix

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Shageletic posted:

There's been alot of good action on TV shows. I'd say Daredevil's first season hallway fight was iconic. I do remember talking about it with strangers so that's gotta count for something

Yeah when I was thinking of iconic action I kept gravitating towards TV stuff like Daredevil, Banshee's grueling wince-inducing brawls and Into The Badlands' post-apocalyptic weirdness (like a Southern gentleman have a katana fight with a red-headed ninja clan matriarch or falling through the floor into a mall Santa set-up and having a staff fight with candy canes).

I got some thoughts on why that might be true but gotta go make supper first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Does the underwater saloon fight in top secret count?