Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Most Kevin Smith movies with a "message" age poorly. Chasing Amy is real bad.

It was incredibly progressive for 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I still wish that episode "you're getting old" was the series finale. It would have been a complete surprise and absolutely the best creative end possible.

I know they didn't because even if they personally have enough money to coast the rest of their lives, the cottage industry around the show is hundreds of people's livelihood and that's valid, but it was still creative dishonesty.

God, that would have been amazing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Can Trill be used as a trans metaphor?

Surely the changelings are the better trans metaphor. They represent the vast spectrum of fluidity and show that gender is ultimately a social construct.

Odo can literally present himself as he chooses, and same with the "female" Changeling.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Reading that at first, I mixed up the two Carries and thought she walked in on herself and was like "Man, I do not remember the SatC episode with cloning..."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, how did the doctors always manage to perform surgery completely poo poo faced all the time?

This part is totally believable, based on how many surgeons currently are functional alcoholics/addicts.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Precambrian posted:

When you're binging Friends and all of a sudden everyone's wearing NYFD gear and you realize: you've just crossed into the post-9-11 episodes. SNL getting Rudy Giuliani to give them the okay to make jokes is... awkward now because we know how much of a piece of poo poo Giuliani is, but he was gold after 9-11. It was a weird time. Any other shows where you can tell it was made right after a national tragedy?

The West Wing episode Isaac and Ishmael, which was explicitly done as a post-9/11 response and is out of continuity with the rest of the show.

It's a really bad and hamfisted "Not all Muslims are bad!" PSA of an episode. Obviously that message is important and needed to be communicated, but it does it in such a pandering way that it loops around to :jerkbag: levels.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Everyone says that about this episode, but I honestly don't see it. Yes the episode does Cirque de Solei levels of gymnastics to simplify a complex issue with centuries of political history down to "don't stone your neighborhood brown people you provincial shitburger," but at that exact moment in time I recall it being the best one communicated on a mass level. The reductive "Al Qaeda = Muslim KKK" bit was particularly clever in trying to make the message palatable to most of America, and I recall the kids in the classroom discussing the issues sounding a lot like the kids in my actual classes.

Yea, but that was the problem, the target audience was kids that age and not adults.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Frasier holds up pretty well, as making fun of snobs is timeless.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Anthony Michael Hall getting detention for bringing a flare gun to school is weird now, but I honestly can't figure out of Christian Slater in Heathers firing a gun with blanks in school and getting off scott free is a more or less relevant bit of satire now than it was when it was released.

Before Columbine, kids in rural communities brought their guns to school all the time (granted, they usually left them in their cars)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I dunno, coming out is still really stressful for a lot of kids and plenty of parents are the "I ain't raising no gay kid!" type so I think those messages still resonate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I wish people would just make up their minds about whether their response to being threatened by people discussing movies in CD is to either not care at all or to obsessively (mis)remember every single discussion that has ever happened there ever. Doing the GBS thing of spending years cataloguing your grievances in humorless anger from afar to show how little you care isn't interesting or funny in any way.

Found the butthurt CD poster.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This poster gets it.

John C. McGinley deserved all the Emmys.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

These doctors had to be ready at a moment's notice and were ALWAYS getting hosed up and drinking and building stills in their tents and I think they addressed that one time where Hawkeye was too hosed up to operate.

Since we're on the topic of Scrubs, this happened once on that show to J.D. and Turk and it was treated super seriously and Dr. Cox reamed them out even though they were only buzzed. Because drinking while on call is a major loving no no.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, no "probably" about it. I remember the storming of the Branch Davidian compound, and hysterical reports declaring that there were 2.5 guns for every man, woman and child in the group. This becomes much less of a thing when you learn that in Texas in 1993 there were three privately owned guns for every citizen in the state. When the average American owns more guns than an apocalyptic death cultist, you can't really say you don't have a problem.

That's not how gun ownership actually works though.

The vast majority of Americans own 0 guns, then there's another group of people who only own 1 gun, and then there's a tiny tiny amount of people who own 20+ guns each. This throws off the average.

The average American owns no guns.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Well that works both ways. Maybe it was just one dude in the Branch Davidian who had a bunch of guns. You ever think of that?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Up until the mid 90s over 50% of American households had at least one gun, and it's only in the last few years it's dropped below 40%.

kupachek posted:

Oh hey, that's me!

If you are only counting cities, you'll have a much lower number of owners.

Head to a more rural area (including outskirts of some cities) and it'll jump.

This has nothing to do with shows not aging well though.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a whole gun ownership derail, I just don't like this kind of false statement going unchallenged:

Jedit posted:

When the average American owns more guns than an apocalyptic death cultist, you can't really say you don't have a problem.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

How about these vulture bastards on storage wars feeding off human misery.

You know that's all faked, right?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be curious to see if there's any Law and Order (the original show) eps that age poorly. SVU is obviously a really messed up show in subject matter, but it's pretty pro-victim generally

The main problem with SVU is that it glorifies police brutality. Stabler does a ton of terrible poo poo to suspects and the shows justifies it with "Well, they're a pedo, so it's okay."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

e X posted:

That is literally every procedural ever. Even something as light hearted as Brooklyn 99 has lines about how evil defense attorneys are and subjects being routinely questioned without their lawyer present.

Sure, but SVU is particularly bad about it, with Stabler beating the poo poo out of suspects on a regular basis, not just bitching about attorneys.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Mind posted:

I'd like to pose a sincere question - what TV shows/movies/media exist right now that are not going to age well? I mean, the most progressive stuff - how is that going to look in 2058? What are our blind spots - yours and mine - this year?

Master of None.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Not the show but there’s an FMV game that stars the actor who played the Klingon leader and several others who I assume were probably background characters at the time. It’s meant to be a holodeck program that teaches humans about Klingon culture and “you” are coming-of-age and have to solve a murder mystery while retaining your family’s honor. It holds up a bit better than I expected but still has some hilariously unfair game overs, but mainly I feel it presents Klingons as the analog to dwarves with all the drinking and singing (there is Klingon opera).

Star Trek: Klingon.

That game owned, minus the terribly unfair bomb sequence part.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

At what point does a recurring background gag become overplayed? Like in Home Improvement where not being able to see Wilson’s mouth is a funny gag that then becomes a big thing that need to be included in the opening credits.

On the other hand you have Kramer’s numerous unseen friends on Seinfeld which never bothered me, even if there was a joke referencing it.

I like to call this divide between pulling it off and being overplayed "The Maris Line"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not Operator posted:

BBT is full of weird low level sexism and racism, and almost all of it is couched with this veil of detachment. Like a character tells a woman to get back to the kitchen and an another character says "well, that's hell of a thing to say." Or makes a joke about the Indian guy working a call centre, and he'll say "that's racist but also most of my extended family do work for dell."

Its an intensely odd thing and I'm sure there's a fancy name for it. I guess its just a variation on lampshading?

There's also a shocking amount of inter-group bullying and toxic macho bullshit for a show about nerds interacting with each other.

Also this isn't a wider criticism, but there's a point in an episode where one character says "Well, I'm trying to play Mario Kart on a poorly coded Nintendo 64 emulator" and the audience laughs riotously like its a joke rather than just words with the cadence of a joke being said by the bazinga man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-hOigoxHs&t=2s

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Interesting, but it's not going to change anything anytime soon as long as the money keeps coming in.

Oh, I'm aware. This video just so perfectly explains the phenomenon described by that post (says a sexist thing, is called out on it, that becomes the joke) that I had to link it.

E: VVV You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it! :D

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Feb 10, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Not so much an episode, but a small pop culture segment from SNL's Weekend Update. I think it's a Tina Fey/Jimmy Fallon episode, but the exchange goes something like:

Fallon: *something about the Lord of the Rings movies, gets characters names wrong.*
Fey: *Corrects the characters' names*
Fallon: *coughing* "Nerd" *coughing*

Given how hugely important and popular the nerd/geek stuff has gotten in the last few years, the joke in 2014-onward would be the person NOT knowing the names of all these character being called stupid for their mistake.

Many, many people think Emilia Clarke's character on Game of Thrones is named Kelly C

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

:lost: was a phenomenal ride, regardless of how you feel about the ending. I'm about ready to watch it again.

I've also noticed that many of the people who publicly bitch about it either didn't actually watch it or didn't pay much attention (or are very dumb)

I watched and paid a shitload of attention and was rewarded with nothing but bullshit. They answered the mystery about the Numbers in an ARG that never got explained on the show. gently caress that poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bobjr posted:

One of the plots they considered for Dexter would have been his dad actually being alive and following him around the whole time. I’m almost disappointed they didn’t go with it.

This is like a Reverse Scrubs, where originally the Janitor was going to be all in JD's head, they even specifically didn't have him interact with any other characters so they could pull this twist, then they decided that Neil Flynn was too good to waste and made him "real" again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Dexter, the show, died when the show runners decided that Dexter, the character, would never get caught or pay for his crimes*

* beyond becoming a lumberjack.

Yea this was the major problem, the only "realistic" way to end the show is with him either dead or in prison and they didn't want to do either of those options so we got pure insanity instead.

I'm still blown away by Dexter just whisking away Deb from the hospital and taking her to his boat, they have loving security and poo poo to prevent exactly that kind of thing!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs.

I had to laugh when they started including this disclaimer with AC2 and every other game. Better make sure those Renaissance Italians don't get mad we put them in a game!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think I remember it from the first one too. You know, the one where you play a Muslim assassin that goes to Jerusalem and stabs Christians in the neck that was released in America.

No, that's my whole point. I get why they included it in the first game, but then they had to keep doing it even though portraying Renaissance Italy isn't controversial in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slippery posted:

The first fast and furious where the team is hijacking a truck of dvds

Technically, they are hijacking combo VCR/DVD players :eng101: