Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Sorry if this has been posted before, but the thread is very long.

Anyway, this is a fascinating video about a phenomenon in movies/tv that the maker of the video calls "born sexy yesterday". It's where through some contrivance the hero of the story, usually a very average dude, comes into contact with a sexy woman who has had no contact with the regular world. It can be through some sci-fi or fantasy means where the character is quite literally born sexy yesterday or transported from another time or realm. Or the woman can be a female Mowgli who grew up without humans. The end result is always that the very average dude gets to both appear very wise to the woman as he teaches her how to live in the regular world, and he of course gets a romance with a sexy, virginal woman who would be way out of his league if she wasn't so "pure" and naive.

The woman is often written like a child in a grown woman's body with no understanding of how sexuality works, but the "hero" of the story will of course be there to teach her about that as well. It's something that just becomes more and more gross the more you think about it. Even if you're aware of a few movies/tv shows like this, the video becomes fascinating in a gross way when you see just how often some writer has come up with a new contrivance to deliver a sexy, innocent, naive woman to the dude in a story, and how recent a few of the examples are. Oh, and there's of course the section of the video where the author just skips anime entirely since there are apparently so many examples of this trope there that just listing them would fill the rest of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thpEyEwi80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

kupachek posted:

And then you have the pattern with his chosen leading actresses.

Yeah, and the scenario he came up with for The Fifth Element is probably the most outright disturbing out of all the ones we see in the video. I hardly remember the movie at all since I only saw it once when it was new, but from the clips in the video it appears the girl is only minutes old when she disrobes in front of a couple of guys the first time. She still speaks in gogo-gaga babytalk btw, I think I remember her being a very fast learner or something, so presumably this goes away fairly quickly, but still, yikes! Then Bruce Willis tricks her into standing where he knows cold water will rain down on her so that he first gets to leer at her in her wet t-shirt, then gets to appear kind by offering a towel and helping her dry off and get warm. She may or may not have stopped with the baby talk at this point, I can't remember.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
It's kind of darkly comical that Natalie Portman's parents did step in and demand some changes to Leon: The Proffesional, but not for the reasons you would think. They were fine with her acting in a movie where she befriends and falls in love with a 40-year old hitman that teaches her to kill, directed by a (French) man who was married to a woman half his age. That was all fine and good with the Portmans, but they did make sure that Natalie wasn't shown to inhale any cigarette smoke! Like, the movie still shows her weirdly holding lit cigarettes in several scenes, but she never takes a drag on one of them. It actually kind of works for the character to be someone who wants to be a smoker, either because gently caress you dad or because she wants to appear as an adult. Still, a strange battle for the parents to pick on this movie set to say the least.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Other than that I'd say that Leon has probably aged really well.

Audiences in 1994: Did he have to kill all those SWAT cops at the end? Sure, the drug cops were all murderers, but the SWAT guys were just doing their jobs.
Audiences today: NYPD SWAT cops in the '90s you say? If one of them haven't murdered someone yet I'd be shocked. Either way, they have all helped cover up dozens murders. Have at them Leon!

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The film also have Willis trying to kiss her when she sleeps. To which she responds with putting a gun to his head and saying "never without my permission." So the Fifth Element is a land of contrasts.

This makes Willis' character more of a creep, not less.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

I'm finally checking off Breaking Bad off my media bucket list. is weed being a gateway drug suppose to be a serious thing back then or what?

The idea of a gateway drug made a kind of backward sense when you had to buy weed from a drug dealer, since there would be a good chance that a peddler of one illegal drug also carried others.

Weed as a gateway drug sounds a lot more silly once you remove drug dealers from the equation, as your dispensary cashier is unlikely to recommend crystal meth if you complain that weed makes you sleepy or whatever.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

bobjr posted:

https://1900hotdog.com/2022/12/upsetting-day-a-very-larry-christmas-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

Not that Larry the Cable Guy wasn’t bad in the first place, but did you know he had songs about wanting to sleep with teenagers too?

That guy is extra weird since his entire personality is a persona he tried out one day that took over his life, so everything he says on stage these days is probably filtered through what he imagines his current fans wants to hear. Not that that in any way excuses singing about wanting to sleep with teenagers, of course.

This is what he looked and sounded like before he found that sleevless shirts and a redneck accent would lead to millions of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdQtXqeXPuo

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Doing a re-read of the Sherlock Holmes books and in A Study in Scarlet Holmes is in the study he shares with Watson, pondering a case. He goes "these innocuous-seeming pills from the crime scene are actually poison!" and proves it by feeding it to Watson's pet terrier, killing it.

Speaking of reading Holmes today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5QVo6Rio-Q

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Words taking on new meanings can produce interesting results. Here are two from Agatha Christie.

Miss Marple is often described as a "pussy" or sometimes an "old pussy". Just look at this line by her Scotland Yard nephew - the guy who usually invites her to take part in police investigations.
“it’s my own particular, one and only, four-starred Pussy. The super Pussy of all old Pussies.”
From A Murder is Announced.

In Three Act Tragedy, Poirot is talking to a young woman about her plans to marry a middle aged man. When he asks her what she thinks of the man's reputation as a womanizer she replies with something like "I like a man to have had affairs, it shows he's not queer." This one got updated to "it shows he's properly red-blooded" in the latest tv adaption so it no longer sounds like the most sympathetic character in the story suddenly goes out of her way to inform Poirot she's homophobic.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Can't watch it now, is this the one where Watson ejaculates from a balcony?

I was reading SH in English for the first time a while ago and I almost chocked when I got to that part.

Edit: God, what a snipe.

Got it in one! Also included: Who ejaculated, Holmes or Watson? The text is ambiguous.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
All this talk about Columbus Day and no one posted the best scene, shameful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBD61skoMk8

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Which was the Chuck Norris movie that was like "this is what Republicans actually believe" and had like 80s versions of jihadis, urban minority street gangs, Cuban communists, Soviets, and more all teaming up and launching an attack with D-Day style landing boats and poo poo. Invasion USA?

Yeah, that's invasion USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgbPUHfBJA0&t=2906s

The D-day landings in Florida is at 48:26 if the time in the clip is off.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alaois posted:

not even set in the same area of new jersey, just the fact that it's set in new jersey establishes that House MD was Prestige Television, just like Aqua Teen Hunger Force

So that's why Kevin Smith kept being referred to as an "indie darling" decades after he made his last interesting movie.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
All I know about Lin Manuel Miranda I learned from this 2 min 40 sec video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CameSDK-2m8

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
It all looks incredibly weird to me. Like, do I understand it right that the reason a 15-year old 1-min video about a forgotten video game was posted now was so people would understand why some don't like the term JRPG? But the review didn't even say "JRPG"? Nor was it a review of anything, just some lame attempts at humor, which I guess is bad if you like the game. Did they review other games normally, but this only got 40 seconds of skits?

I used to play JRPGS back then, but I don't understand a loving thing about this.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's really racist and the weirdly persistent racism around japanese games from the early 2000s to the 2010s was loving everywhere

The reason I was so confused was that someone had cut down the review into a 1 minute video that wasted the first 20 seconds on an intro and the last 25 seconds on the "joke" of saying the same word over and over.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

bobjr posted:

https://1900hotdog.com/2023/03/upsetting-day-the-humor-legacy-of-grammy-award-winner-janet-perr/

Seanbaby covers the book Yiddish for Dogs, and then covers another book by the author I’ll keep a surprise, because it probably ages worse than that.

Oh dear.

Here's a taste of what this link leads to, for those who haven't clicked. This is from a book written by a 52-year old white lady, sold in the comedy section of bookstores.

I guess I should spoiler this for those who want to go in unprepared.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
When I rewatched 30 rock some five or so years ago, I decided to find the old tv-iv thread and read along what people at the time were saying. IIRC most of the season 1 discussion was all about how it compared to Studio 60, a show most people assumed would be the successful one at the time.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The B-plot of Cabaret is pretty insane.

IIRC it goes something like: Guy is in love with girl but she is cold toward him. Sally advises guy to force himself on girl (pounce is the expression used in the movie), saying that if he sticks with it she will probably end up liking it, even if she resists at first. Guy is hesitant, what if she doesn't like it, what if he chickens out halfway through etc. Sally encourages him to just go for it. Guy goes for it and girl ends up liking it, now they're about to be married.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

Was Charles Dance the villain? I thought it was F. Murray Abraham. He killed Mozart, you know.

Dance is definitely the main villain. I'm pretty sure F. Murray Abraham is only openly antagonistic in a single scene, right when he starts monologuing he's shot and killed by a cartoon cat.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I can easily imagine some Alex Jones guy scoffing about a bunch of crisis actors running around screamimg about a giant marshmallow man.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The song "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam has aged weirdly, since everyone now assumes it's about a school shooting when it's actually about a guy shooting himself in front of his class.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

And if we’re going to accuse actors of killing their wives, take a look at William Shatner’s last wife.

A piece of improv I'll never forget is Paul F. Tompkins (as Cake Boss) talking about the urban legend about a ghost in Three Men and a Baby.

"Turns out it was just a carboard cutout - of William Shatner drowning his wife"

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
If they ever get around to doing another Fyre Fest in the Bahamas they should name it Bahamian Rhapsody.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Somewhat related to words that sound like slurs are words that have drifted in meaning over the years. I think Sherlock holmes "ejaculations" have been brought up before, but at least here the modern meaning is so different that while it sounds silly or funny to modern readers, they immediately understand that what they picture Holmes doing is probably not what the author intended.

But it can be much sneakier than that, for example with words like "molest", which could often mean something as mild as "annoy" fairly recently. Just look at this example from P.G. Wodehouse

Wodehouse posted:

Bees flew past him, bees flew into him, bees settled upon his coat, bees paused questioningly in front of him … but not a single bee molested him.

So you quite often get sentences like "Plenty of ruffians tried to molest us as we made our way through" in books from the early 20th century, where modern readers can easily get a very different picture of what's going on than what was intended.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

As is often the case with these things (c.f. gay) there was a transitory period where all three uses coexisted.

The book I'm currently listening to, written in the 1930s IIRC, seems to have been written in such a period for the word "idiot". When two policemen discuss the crime commited by an "idiot", one of them clarifies that he was an idiot in the medical sense to the other.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Jolly Guy posted:

Ejaculated has another meaning of "say something quickly and suddenly." Which I discovered in an older book having something along the lines of "he ran downstairs ejaculating".

Yeah, this is what I meant by Sherlock Holmes ejaculations. The funniest of the canonical Holmes ejaculations is the one where the modern meaning makes the text ambiguous about whether Holmes or Watson ejaculated in this passage:

Dr. Watson posted:

So [Sherlock Holmes] sat as I dropped off to sleep. So he sat as a sudden ejaculation caused me to wake up.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The hypothesis that puts the Romani as migrating from Northern India has they coming from a tribe actually named Doma. The same hypothesis puts them migrating into Europe through the Holy Roman Empire where it's possible, after a few generations living in and around Constantinople the name and language merged a bit.

That's the regular Roman empire if they lived around Constantinople. A.k.a. the Eastern Roman Empire or Byzantium after they lost control over Rome. The Holy Roman Empire was centered around Germany.

Yeah, medieval Europe han two different Roman empires and neither of them controlled Rome.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

there was nothing good about nfts, lol.

If it weren't for NFTs, these two videos wouldn't exist, so that statement is not 100% true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

I was already familiar with Dan, but since it's far and away his most viewed video it surely made lots of others aware of him and his videos. Just like the second video did for me with its creator Münecat, and it's always nice finding more of those channels that produce well researched and informative videos that are also entertaining to watch.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

They're all unwatchable.

:agreed:

I don't have the patience to sit through the Irishman, let alone some dumbfuck googling poo poo and then talking directly into a camera for four hours about pointless garbage.

You can't solve that issue by not watching them yourself?

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
There's a really good series of videos about copaganda on Youtube by the channel Skip Intro. There you can learn how an early 2000's teen/young aduld show on the CW like Veronica Mars could semi-accidentally end up being better anti copaganda than most just by being heavily inspired by pre-copaganda film noirs (films noir?).

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Splicer posted:

The thing that annoys me about any form of procedural of mystery or whatever crime show is that there's always a murder. Even when it starts out as some other crime eventually the guy also murders someone. Like there's no way to make the audience actually care unless someone's dead.

There was actually a "rule" about this in a fairly influential list of rules to keep in mind when writing detective stories. Most of the rules on this list are about not keeping the crime unsolvable to the reader or using unfair solutions such as a twin that has never been brought up before. The rule reads like this.

"7. There simply must be a corpse in a detective novel, and the deader the corpse the better. No lesser crime than murder will suffice. Three hundred pages is far too much pother for a crime other than murder. After all, the reader's trouble and expenditure of energy must be rewarded."

When I went looking for the exact rule to post here, I found out that this wasn't the most well known list of informal rules for mystery writers. The first list that shows up in google, and the only one to be featured in the wikipedia page for golden age detective fiction was one called The Ten Commandments of Detective Fiction, written by an English author in 1929. This one has one rule that stands out quite a bit from the rest, see if you can spot it.

1. The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.
2. All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
3. Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
4. No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
5. No Chinaman must figure in the story.[Note 1]
6. No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
7. The detective himself must not commit the crime.
8. The detective is bound to declare any clues which he may discover.
9. The "sidekick" of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind: his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
10. Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

What was Note 1?

A racist explanation of why he wrote the rule.

Here it is for those who want to read it
"I see no reason in the nature of things why a Chinaman should spoil a detective story. But as a matter of fact, if you are turning over the pages of an unknown romance in a bookstore, and come across some mention of the narrow, slit-like eyes of Chin Loo, avoid that story; it is bad."

Offler has a new favorite as of 00:44 on May 9, 2024

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Actually, reading it more carefully it seems like he was writing it because so many stories in the 20s featured racist cliches, so I guess the rule is there to curb that. My apologies to the long-dead author of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yeah, it's a direct swing at Sax Rohmer for Fu Manchu.

A lot of people have subverted that list in the years since. There's an Agatha Christie novel where the detective did it, for example - though of course I shall not tell you which one.

Christie was the goat of mystery novels, so she was more than capable of writing stories that were near unsolvable without being unfair with or without these rules. In fact, I can think of books of hers that break most of these rules, at least if we call it breaking the rules if it is heavily implied for 95% of the book that the solution will either be straight up supernatural or science fiction, as is the case in one book. I can think of at least three books of hers where someone who most readers would probably think of as the detective committed at least one murder, though one of these is not nearly as well known as the other two. That is about all I dare to say since I don't know if you've read both of these books and I don't want to give anything away either.