Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

credburn posted:

Philip Jose Farmer was one of my favorite authors growing up but as he is a sci fi author from the 50s or 60s I imagine there's a fuckin trove of awful things I don't want to know about. I didn't know he'd done those novels, though I do remember a novella he wrote called Tyger Tyger, I think, which was about how a rich dude obsessed with Tarzan bought a huge plot of land in a jungle and hired some dwarves to raise a jungle kid from infancy to see if uhhh he could just like breed a Tarzan.

I'm just gonna drop this link here and let you decide if you want to click it, but honestly you probably don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Feast_Unknown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DeafNote posted:

All I remember from the Phantom is that scifi 2040 cartoon which was pretty heavy for my kidbrain.

This made me look up a summary and holy poo poo this show was way ahead of its time.

"Wikipedia posted:

It is the year 2040, all environmental disasters and the economic Resource Wars from the early 21st century have decimated the fragile ecosystem balance of an Earth once teeming with life. Everywhere, the privileged and wealthy continue to thrive in expensive real estate developments that tower above the suffering masses. The victims of Earth's misfortune have been forced to subsist on scavenged refuse from the past on the mangled streets of forlorn city-states.

In Metropia (once known as New York City), the largest and most powerful of the city-states, the powerful robotics manufacturing corporation Maximum Inc. has slowly shaped a cold, steely urban center, consisting of huge, residential towers intertwined with TubeTrain tunnels. Maximum's robotic "biots" (Biological Optical Transputer System) have replaced enormous amounts of human labour, and the corporation is illegally producing prohibited combat biots to form Maximum's private underground army. Under this guise of efficient progress, Maximum has own plans for the future, all known as the Maximum Era. Through the construction of the fortress of Cyberville, an immense survival shelter where only the wealthiest and most elite humans will retreat, and the take over of Metropia by Maximum's biot armies, their plans all ultimately involve the dark path of decline and extinction as the culminating result of man's prior errors and efforts, once Earth finally succumbs to its slowly deteriorating state.

The only hope for the survival of humanity is the Ghost Jungle — thousands of square miles of mutated vegetation that may be the planet's salvation. This secret source of life is submerged beneath Metropia, unseen by most. College student Kit Walker Jr. is chosen by fate to save the world, donning the black mask and purple suit of his people's savior, the 24th Phantom.

The role of the Phantom has been passed on from father to son since the 16th century, leading the world to believe that the Phantom is a single immortal individual. Kit, the 24th in the line, is young, unsure, and inexperienced, but he finds within him the courage and might to battle the evil that threatens to destroy the Earth.

It's only 35 episodes and there's a YouTube channel that has the whole series up: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgkKj2n1LjA_VzcrpMQ8l_NszGmxAA1d0. I'm gonna have to do a binge in the near future.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Family. You understand."

"Not really. I was cloned."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volcott posted:

1 man snake cult

mods plz

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The only thing I can really hold against Sanderson is that as a devout Mormon he tithes to the LDS church, which does lovely things. But while it's not great that's on the low end compared to many shithead creators out there (compare to Card, for instance). YMMV.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Asterite34 posted:

...how exactly does one rustle land? Isn't that a term used pretty much exclusively for stealing livestock?

Kill the current occupants and set up shop.

More probably, either legal shenanigans or increasing threats and violence until the victims up stakes and move.

For more detail see the historical documentary "Blazing Saddles".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Pre-rendered cutscenes kick rear end and we need more of them. We need more pre-rendered backgrounds like FF7 and Resident Evil too.

I miss full-motion video cutscenes with actual actors like PC games used to have in the 90s. Wing Commander, Command & Conquer, Jedi Knight. Lots of them are cringey as hell to look back on but to teenage me they were the coolest drat thing.

Media that didn't age well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgfYsKar1E

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thomamelas posted:

Sex and kissing only a few times. But it's implied a lot. He had a tendency to run into a lot of his exs for instance.

This is a really long but interesting essay on why Kirk as portrayed in TOS and Kirk as remembered by pop culture differ so dramatically:

http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/columns/freshly-rememberd-kirk-drift/

Even by the time of the later TOS movies Kirk's characterization was very different from the original TV series. And interestingly there's an argument to be made that a lot of what people think Kirk was like is shown in TNG's Riker.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

the holy poopacy posted:

Wait, 9 had good ideas?

Wait, 9 had ideas?

Eh, the little droid repair gremlin is cool, and Adam Driver acted the hell out of his heel-face turn, but that's about it as far as I can remember.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Aces High posted:

Mmmm like Robert Preston as Harold Hill

This is Matthew Broderick erasure and I just want to say good job, keep it up.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm reminded of the 1971 Western Big Jake starring John Wayne where the other characters realise he's the man for the job because "It is, I think, going to be a very harsh and unpleasant kind of business and will, I think, require an extremely harsh and unpleasant kind of man to see to it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3opoCWqrEPI

It's a movie set in 1909 where the old gunfighters are a dying breed and even horses are being replaced by cars ("Hank! What happened to your spurs?" "Oh, they don't work on these newfangled velocipedes") but when the poo poo hits the fan they have to turn to a hardbitten tough guy who still remembers the old way of doing things even though he's a gigantic rear end in a top hat who no longer has a place among them. He represents the old ways and the old values which everyone thought had already passed on - every time he gets introduced someone says "Jacob McCandles? I thought you were dead!" and he snarls "Not hardly." There's a pretty clear message that even if you don't like his way of handling things you have to respect it, eg: there's a scene right at the start where Big Jake returns after a 10 year absence and his adult son is sassing him and calling him 'Daddy' so he beats the poo poo out of him, and the film ends with him saving his grandson's life and the kid immediately starts calling him 'Sir'.

It's pretty much Jack Nicholson's "You want me on that wall -- you need me on that wall!" speech from A Few Good Men except at the end everyone agrees that he's right, we do need a violent oldfashioned rear end in a top hat with an ironclad creed to take care of business even if it means a whole lot of people get killed along the way.

Yeah, that sounds like exactly the film John Wayne would have made in 1971. Pretending the world hadn't passed him by.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hell, the WB tried to recreate the magic with Unhappily Ever After.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unhappily_Ever_After posted:

Jack Malloy (Geoff Pierson): an alcoholic, schizophrenic, cynical, depressed man who hates his unhappy marriage and wholly unsatisfying used-car-salesman job. His family gives him little respect, thinking him insane or senile. He converses with a stuffed bunny (Mr. Floppy) that only he can hear. He is the family's sole income source, paying for food, expenses, allowances, and gifts for Tiffany. In season one, Jack and Jenny were separated, but Jack moved back home in season two, with the couple still hating each other; they later divorce after Jennie leaves the family in season five.

Jennifer Malloy (née Slattery) (Stephanie Hodge) (seasons 1–4): Jack's embittered wife, who gets along with nobody and is prone to jealousy. She is sarcastic, self-centered, mean, judgmental and ill-tempered; she is verbally abusive to Jack and shows her children little compassion. She resents Ryan – as her pregnancy with him forced her to marry Jack – and Tiffany, who is everything she never was. Jennifer often cuckolds Jack, but hypocritically objects when Jack becomes involved with other women. She "dies" during season 4 and haunts the series as a "ghost" until returning briefly. At the start of the fifth season, she has left the family for a lesbian lover.

Ryan Malloy (Kevin Connolly): Jennie and Jack's firstborn and elder son. He maintains a happy-go-lucky attitude despite being stupid and disliked by nearly everyone he knows, including his own parents. His inability to attract girls and his parents' overt derision of him are recurring themes throughout the series.

Tiffany Malloy (Nikki Cox): the middle child and only daughter – and Jack's favorite – who is seemingly "perfect": smart, ambitious, popular, beautiful, and still a virgin—although she is far from virtuous; she tends to be self-indulgent and manipulative and often takes advantage of Jack's special treatment and dresses rather provocative, like a red-headed Pamela Anderson. Whenever she gets into trouble, she will use Ryan or Ross as a scapegoat. She is also a practicing gold digger. Tiffany's figure has been repeatedly alluded to as a result of her suffering from some kind of an eating disorder. She is an overachiever: she covets success and frequently achieves it. She is extremely opinionated and can be very sarcastic, speaking with deadpan humor.

Ross Malloy (Justin Berfield): the youngest son and "forgotten child", who is arguably the most normal family member. Ross is often the voice of reason, common sense, and enlightenment in an otherwise-dysfunctional family. However, certain episodes show that Ross has his own issues. As a result of indifferent parenting, he craves attention, though his attempts usually fail. Despite Jack's lack of concern for him, Ross adores his father, even letting him have his stuffed rabbit Mr. Floppy to keep him company. Ross dislikes his siblings: Tiffany for being a cruel, selfish attention-seeker, and Ryan for being stupid and annoying. The Halloween episode of the final season mentions that Ross once had a twin, Roz, but in a flashback to a decade earlier, they and Tiffany were left in Ryan's "care" for a weekend, and his carelessness caused something unfortunate to happen to Roz.

Mr. Floppy (voice of Bobcat Goldthwait, puppeteer Allan Trautman): a smoking, drinking, perverted, gray stuffed bunny who lives in the Malloy basement, often discussing his life in "the toy bin" or his success stories with women, or ranting about cynical topics. Much of the show has Jack consulting Mr. Floppy for advice with Mr. Floppy speaking as a stand-up comic. Only Jack can hear him. While Jack and Mr. Floppy often have differing views, they have similar mindsets, so Mr. Floppy is best seen as Jack's alter-ego. He has a crush on Drew Barrymore.

Maureen Slattery (Joyce Van Patten) (seasons 1–2): Jennifer's alcoholic, domineering, somewhat-delusional mother who has a prescription drug addiction. She despises Jack (the feeling is more than mutual), but she has even more contempt for her own daughter. Her ex-husband Joe (who is never seen, but frequently mentioned) owns Joe's Used Car Lot, where Jack is employed. She only appeared in the series' first two seasons; in the episode "The Old West", Jack says she is dead and they buried her in the back yard after looting her corpse.

Barbara Caulfield (Wendy Benson) (season 5; recurring Season 4): Tiffany's rival and one of Ryan's love interests. She attends Northridge Junior College along with Tiffany and Ryan.

Jesus Kentucky Fried Christ, why would anyone watch this?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Aramek posted:

I can't think of a single bad car chase scene though?

Some are definitely better than others. The one in Knives Out is brilliant.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lady Radia posted:

I watched sucker punch in theaters and still have no idea what I watched and why

From the ad campaign, I'm going to say "schoolgirl uniforms and panty shots".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is there a list anywhere of what everyone picks for their destiny thing because that sounds like it might be a fun read? And you got to hand it to Kabal, I mean who wants to be in charge of a universe when you can just have a mansion with a hot chick and be a hot dude and live a normal life comparedly speaking.

I don't know if it has all of them (I've never been into the MK franchise) but I was curious too so I went looking. I found this:

https://altarofgaming.com/mortal-kombat-11-character-endings/

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Alaois posted:

brought to you by the man behind Babylon 5 lmao

Even among B5's dedicated fans (disclosure: I am one) there's plenty of folks who will argue that the show is the only really good thing JMS ever had in him, and he hasn't caught lightning in a bottle that way again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zaroff posted:

To be honest, a lot of his Babylon 5 work outside the core series isn’t that good either!

Like I said: lightning in a bottle.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There's a line that sticks in my head from the 90s Superman show with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher: "Clark Kent is who I am. Superman is just something I can do."

And the show did a good job with that, for the time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The attitude I have encountered from straight guy locker room talk about bi women over the years from straight guys (typically in hypermasculine environments like the military*) is usually pretty starkly divided between "Sweet! She'll be up for threesomes!" and "guaranteed to cheat on you because liking both dick and vag means you want both all the time, and I've only got the one".

Both of which are incredibly stupid but that's prejudice and stereotyping for you. Sometimes you can talk someone through why they're stupid in the right circumstances and get them to change their mind a bit, but mostly not.

* Joking and stereotypes aside, most of the cishet dudes I worked with in the Navy and Marines had absolutely no idea what an outsized proportion of the military is LGBTQ compared to American society at large. Including me, at the start of my enlistment term.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Eh, probably just a publicity stunt." - Every New Yorker at least once in their life.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I would love to see a modern day reinterpretation of Fu Manchu as a protagonist, or at least a good guy, working to oppose Western imperialism and battling thinly veiled colonist-heroes trying to steal cultural treasures and establish the opium trade.

I know it'd be a CCP propaganda piece like nothing else on Earth, but still.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe this is what you were referencing but battling western imperialism actually pretty much was Fu Manchu's whole deal. It's just that by early 20th century British standards this was villainous.

Yeah - I mean have the same general goal but framed as a good thing and with examples relevant to modern issues. Like, have some pith-helmeted mustached dickhead from the British Museum be a recurring villain.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Mystery Men was a quarter century ahead of its time. If it had had the opportunity to deconstruct and poo poo on superhero media the way Blazing Saddles did to the white-hat-black-hat Westerns it would have been one of the greatest movies of all time instead of merely a really fun, smart, good time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The best Shrek song was Accidently in Love from Shrek 2.

Counting Crows was a weird choice to write a happy love song but they pulled it off.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Randalor posted:

Hey, don't blame the existence of furries on Beast. There was a whole generation of kids that were raised on anthropomorphic animals and sexy humans with animal features.

Yeah, blame Robin Hood.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I haven't bothered to keep track of Marvel's storylines in yonks but it seems like every remotely popular mutant has gone through more face-heel turns and vice versa than any three WWE wrestlers.

Except Wolverine who must always be a gruff but loveable murder machine.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DMorbid posted:

I've been curious about this for a while - where does "face-heel turn" and vice versa even come from? In wrestling, it's just "face turn" or "heel turn" depending on which way the wrestler is turning.

I genuinely thought wrestling used the longer phrases. I don't recall where I picked it up in that specific format - I must have just absorbed it from online discussion - but I did know the origin was in wrestling.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DMorbid posted:

I've spent entirely too much of my life on wrestling forums and have never once seen anyone use the long versions. :v:

I don't know anything about wrestling except what I've picked up here and there so I am completely willing to cop to being wrong.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The best take on "Baby It's Cold Outside" was from Key & Peele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqd84F6R33g

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Don't Shoot Me Santa by the Killers is the best Christmas song of the modern era.

Greensleeves is the best of the olden times.

All of The Killers' Christmas songs are pretty great, if you like The Killers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C24KIIh_OzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymN_kjYeFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9d9qd9o_lU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hallo spacedog posted:

Why do people think that he killed his wife?

He married his current wife before the prescribed mourning period ended, and never did wear sackcloth and ashes in public to display his grief to the priestly class and the Emperor as the strictures of propriety demand.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah. He eventually got into progressive politics and his personal correspondence speaks of how embarrassed he was of his earlier racist views, which he had come to see as a form of social control used to keep the masses divided and distracted from the economic injustices of capitalism, but he still never really came any further than "let's coexist civilly at arm's length" on racial issues.

He and Robert E Howard were pen pals because they wrote for similar genre pulps, and Lovecraft's views were so extreme to REH that he deliberately and consciously abandoned his own rural West Texas Jim Crow era racism because he was so repulsed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sweet geek swag posted:

Tolkien used those word because he was a language nerd, not for any edgelord reasons.

Also you're drat right that the King of Rohan is going to get veto power over who his family members marry, under feudalism royalty doesn't get to marry who they choose unless they're the top dog, and even then it is very political.

The f-slur as a slur dates from the early 20th C. but it's definitely an Americanism - my understanding is that it's still not used that way super widely in the UK but i could be wrong about that. I wonder about when an Oxford don would have encountered the use in that derogatory context, and if he would have bothered to give it enough notice to avoid using it in its more traditional definition.

And yeah, Rohan is built different - depicted as a less "civilized" society than the Numenorean-descended Gondor. They admire a love of battle as heroic, vs Faramir (the idealized Gondorian) who lays it out: "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend."

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 5, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

A tinker was a blacksmith that specialized in soft metals, mostly tin. Stuff like pots, pans and utensils. There wasn't a big call for that in most villages so they usually wandered from village to village when roads were clear in order to save enough to survive the winter.

By necessity, Roma and Irish Travellers would have some skill in the area and offer the services when they passed near a town. So eventually the term started meaning both.

Another less fraught word for this craft is "tinsmith", or sometimes "whitesmith", but it tends to refer to one who is more settled in one location. It was fairly common for journeymen in the trade to practice it on the road as described above, then establish themselves in a larger town once they were experienced.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Jan 15, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MrUnderbridge posted:

So is the phrase "not worth a tinkers drat" referring to the maker type or the problematic one?

It's not something I've ever used, but I have come across it in reading. I always thought it referred to the fixes pots and pans guys. I hadn't even heard of the term having an issue before today. Pretty sure almost all Americans only know of the tinkering around meaning.

It does refer to the traveling tinsmiths.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-11-27-vw-13637-story.html

quote:

In the old days when tinkers traveled about the countryside toting the tools of their trade, they were considered a rather disreputable lot. In the 19th Century, the expressions “drunk as a tinker” and “swears like a tinker” were commonplace, as were, “not worth a tinker’s curse” and “not worth a tinker’s drat.”

This is not surprising. It seems to me that if the most devout and mild-mannered curate took up the tinker’s trade, perhaps as some sort of penance, and started mending metal utensils, his tools being tin snips, tongs, hammers, pliers, solder and a fire, which he must excite to white heat with a bellows, he would, within a short time, be slugging down the sauce and using words of which “drat” would be the least remarkable.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Any movie with Jack Black in it is too long.

The Muppets kidnapping him to force him to host their telethon was a pretty great gag.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

the_steve posted:

Not if she suplexes you first

Ah, foreplay.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

He had been asking permission before that, there was just a miscommunication between managements. I think he became more careful after that.

It happened again in the other direction when Lady Gaga's people told him no when he asked for permission to include his parody of "Born This Way" on an album - without consulting her first. The story came out and Lady Gaga said "What? Are you kidding? Absolutely yes, of course!" and "Perform This Way" became one of his bigger hits in years.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Feb 5, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SgtScruffy posted:

This was even more frustrating for Al because normally he just asks permission and gives a broad outline before the song is fully written, and they say "Sure" or "No", so he knows whether to put effort into the full song.

But Lady Gaga's people asked for full lyrics before they'd approve. So he wrote all the lyrics and gave it to them. And then they said "hmmmmm.... we'll need to hear the full song". So then he had to record the full song, and THEN they said "No", so it was a huge bummer (and great that Gaga got word of it and was very nice about it)

He had to cut a family vacation short to record it, and they still delayed a decision one way or another until nearly the deadline for pressing the album. They were totally jerking him around.

the_steve posted:

I remember that.
It was the one time he played the "I don't technically need permission" card and released the song anyways, with the caveat that all proceeds from the downloads were going to charity.

Yeah, but he wasn't going to put it on the album until she came back and overruled her people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

credburn posted:

That thing about idioms; my therapist recently said my ex is "living rent-free in your head." That's the sort of quirky phrasing I think a certain eccentric person might say. It's a weird phrase, not one I would use, but kind of interesting coming from him. But then a friend of mine said it. So it's not a quirky phrasing, it's just an idiom that is catching on. But it's a weird one, right? I would never say that. It doesn't "roll off the tongue" the way idioms do. I feel like if someone says that to me, and it's not their thing, then they're referencing something.

So anyway, here's what's wrong with the all that (page 1 of 8):

First of all: new to me so bad (obvious)

Ann Landers coined it 35 years ago.

wiktionary posted:

Often attributed to American advice columnist Eppie Lederer (1918–2002), who used it in her syndicated advice column in 1990.