Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh to be a fly on the wall if Jared said something like this to Mattis during the trip to Iraq.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of it is just that Florida is such a meme these days that every little news story that's slightly crazy gets spread far and wide, while equally batshit things happen in other states but don't get quite as much attention.

Then again Florida did have the dude who ate the other dude's face.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

See its totally not racist to oppose affirmative action because Asian-Americans are affected too! (I haven't read the whole thing yet but just that far is far enough to see the bugfuck insanity)

E: This is the dude who said affirmative action totally targets Asian-Americans.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 2, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

banime

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

Wait wait wait. You mean Trump was RIGHT that the sanction bill was bad?

Broken clock, twice a day

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

You can tell he is an operator by the fingerless gloves

I'm the off-camera knife hits because lmao those bitches didn't hit the targets.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

Yeah, you can still go tour it. It's pretty cool.

BTW, congress is moving to limit Trump's power to fire Mueller without cause:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...omepage%2Fstory

Came to post this, I'm pretty sure the Senate sees Mueller as the only way to get rid of Trump without getting blasted in their local elections.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829266

Hardcore Prophecy is coming along pretty good. It's all the way up to chapter 6 chapter 10 now.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 6, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DaNerd posted:

The Economist did briefing exploring how the next Korean war could kick off through domestic dick waving and miscalculation.

https://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21725763-everyone-would-lose-how-nuclear-war-korea-could-start-and-how-it-might-end

They captured the essence of the Trump Tweet perfectly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

milk milk lemonade posted:

Can you imagine those two fat loving sacks of poo poo in a foot race hahahaba

Which one strokes out and needs medical assistance first?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

I don't think Bannon and Miller want a nuclear exchange either.

I mean I hope anyway.

Bannon wants to rip a portal open to the evil dimension he comes from and flood the WH with boiling masses of void crabs. Nukes may allow him to do this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

We have outlawed north korea, bombing begins in 5 minutes.

Except this time without the laughter.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Been a while but I remember 47MJ/L for diesel. You need to remember though this is just the energy of the reaction, providing free hydrogen which is substantially energy denser than diesel.

If you convert 220kW to MJ using E(J) = 1000 × P(kW) × t(s) you get E(J) = 1000*220*240 or 52,800,000 Joules of energy produced just from the hydrogen liberated from the reaction. That's 52.8 MJ/L for the aluminum reaction. It has a higher energy density than either gasoline or diesel, assuming no losses of energy.

BTW kW is a unit of energy just like a joule, a kW/h is a unit of power (which would be wrong). So the article wasn't wrong in using kW, but it would have been better to use Joule so we didn't have to convert it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 10, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

The article doesn't seem to state at all what's acting as the fuel so something clearly got lost in translation there. Maybe the Al grabs the O from the water, I forgot how to determine whether or not that would fit the bill of what they describe, i.e. the reaction being exothermic.

I mean Al loves the gently caress out of oxygen atoms and will readily grab it, I just wonder how you could arrange aluminum atoms in order to get them to rip oxygen away from hydrogen in water without providing any other energy to the reaction, because the bonds between oxygen and hydrogen are extremely strong.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

orange juche posted:

If you convert 220kW to MJ using E(J) = 1000 × P(kW) × t(s) you get E(J) = 1000*220*240 or 52,800,000 Joules of energy produced just from the hydrogen liberated from the reaction. That's 52.8 MJ/L for the aluminum reaction. It has a higher energy density than either gasoline or diesel, assuming no losses of energy.

BTW kW is a unit of energy just like a joule, a kW/h is a unit of power (which would be wrong). So the article wasn't wrong in using kW, but it would have been better to use Joule so we didn't have to convert it.

I was wrong on that calculation by the way, it was a 3 minute reaction not a 4 minute reaction so E(J)=1000*220*180 or 39,600,000 Joules or 39.6MJ. Not as energetic as gasoline or diesel, but still drat energetic. If they were able to capture the full power of the reaction by capturing the thermal energy too you would have E(J)=1000*440*180 or 79.2MJ from the reaction. Assuming you only can harness 50% of the thermal energy released and lose the rest to the process to harness it, you will still have 59.4MJ or better than the gas or diesel reaction.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr_Ruckus posted:

What if you also turned around and used the hydrogen for energy?

The 39.6MJ is from reacting the hydrogen in a fuel cell to produce electricity. If you harnessed the heat from the cracking of water with a thermocouple or something you would get even more energy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Sounds like it could be a pretty good breakthrough if it works as they said.

Are there any byproducts from the process other than hydrogen and oxygen? What about from using the hydrogen for energy? If it's the clean source I think it would be, it sounds pretty big. But I'm not a physicist or chemist that understands the details about the process.

There would be nothing other than aluminum oxide and hydrogen produced, unless the aluminum structure cracks hydrogen and oxygen from water and somehow doesn't bond to the freed oxygen. If it doesn't bond to the aluminum then you basically have cheap energy available as pretty much "just add water".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What happens if the Norks launch at Guam and the US retaliates before the missiles land? Does China still back NK? What happens if the Norks launch, US launches back, and the missiles turn out to be test dummies that land 10 miles off the coast of Guam? It would be an insanely stupid play to make but we're not dealing with two of the most rational people in the world.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE's expert analysis of US foreign policy since 2001.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A Saudi guy with a beard broke a bar stool over our backs in the Pub Internationale, and when the rest of the civilized world asked us if we were okay, we broke our bottle on the bar and loudly exclaimed that anyone who didn't pledge undying allegiance and loyalty to us was 'gonna get cut.' Then we singled out the people we thought we saw laughing in the corner and spent most of our treasure in making their lives as miserable as possible, at ruinous expense to most, but tremendous profit to the usual suspects. Then we called our dumbest friend over to convince everyone to never gently caress with us again, not realizing he molested our daughter and has been robbing us blind the entire time we've known him.

This segment of Obvious Metaphors has been brought to you by BIG HEADLINE :downs:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DAS Super! posted:

gently caress it. Roll with the bullet of the revolution 7.62.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9751mm_NATO

Avoids the Russian connection.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

cowboy elvis posted:

The US isn't doomed. These idiots aren't taking over. They've always existed, and only feel emboldened. Trump isn't representative of where the country is headed.

I fuckin hope not

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Happening status?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Please please please trump tweet about it pleeeeeeaaasssee

search your heart, you know he will tweet

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I really love the challenge of long range (800+), there's something about the almost Zen-like meditation and focus where everything has to come together and the smallest poo poo will throw you off by an arm's length. The Army ruined "short" (like 300-400) range shooting for me once I could consistently hit 38 or above with some lovely M4A1 and CCOs that I still had to Kentucky windage the gently caress out of to get on target.

Firing a 240 is like shooting a loving laser cannon, the stark raging erection from the experience would dig it's own firing position into the dirt.

Having wasted a box of 7.62 shooting at bags full of cardboard tossed behind the ship, it is a god drat blast to shoot. That was the one thing I miss about the military (but not enough to go back)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Just make them all Fort Sherman

A solid reminder of what will happen should the south try to rise again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Can we get an emote that is just Sherman's awesome smile?

E: That is also the satisfied smile of a man who knows he has caused unimaginable anguish on his enemies and is pretty much singlehandedly responsible for crushing the South.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

What does that mean

Nothing. A motion to censure is basically a notice to the President that the Legislative branch thinks he sucks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

Trump tweeting he condemns vehicular terrorism but there has been bad driving on many sides.

Especially on I-95.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Too late. I'll judge the gently caress out of people with weird kinky fetishes like poo, piss and vomit.

Man youd have a blast in Germany

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nystral posted:

Does this include the Cmdr who was asleep at the time or just the officers on duty? I don't get it.

Yes. When a ship is hazarded, the CO is the first to go, no matter what, because when he assumes command of the ship, he is ultimately responsible for the lives of all the Sailors on board, as well as the ship itself. If a grounding or collision or avoidable incident happens, it's always assumed to be a training deficiency, which could have been prevented had the CO ensured that the people in charge of training the crew were doing their jobs, or at least that's Big Navy's view on it.

Training in 7th Fleet is a bit poo poo, mostly because of the absolutely unsustainable OPTEMPO that the crews out there maintain. The crews and ships are on deployment or underway 300+ days per year, with little or no dwell time and little actual training time. The only time that 7th fleet ships are in port for an appreciable time is when they are in a yard period.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It also should be pointed out that Eagle Forum is a rather active antigovernment group. Not quite Nazis but close, they've got the anti-semitism and white supremacy down.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Not be a horrible person...but odds that it was just drinking (possibly rubbing alcohol) related?

Nah it was Chechens

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Holy poo poo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DVD INTO THE SLOT. IT'S THE NUTTY PROFESSOR (1963) AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTERS, PROFESSOR KELP AND BUDDY LOVE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN BOOM SOUNDS WHEN I ACCIDENTALLY BLOW UP CHEMICALS OR CLAPPING WHEN I BOWL A STRIKE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CRASHED THE PROM IN A TURQUOIS TUX AND PINK SHIRT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE AT WORK AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE AT WORK CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 1 HOUR 47 MINUTES INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

MORNING is supposed to be MORNing yeesh

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

The first one is not good - they may lose propulsion. Without knowing the layout of a destroyer I can't really comment more but any flooding in machinery spaces is always bad.

They should be ok, they won't be able to make any semblance of speed but they should be able to make it back to port on their own power as long as nothing else springs a leak. Warships are a lot more compartmentalized than a cargo ship. Hopefully noone was seriously injured.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ohshit im dyin

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Shep Smith was either:

1) Daydrinking and got called into work

2) Completely over the eclipse

https://twitter.com/JMKTV/status/899734847878565888

Probably 1, because having to deal with the headlines coming out of the whitehouse would make me start drinking as soon as I woke up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well then someone is getting hosed for gundecking maintenance logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Marcellus Williams is on death row in Missouri for murder.

His lawyers says new DNA evidence shows he is innocent.

He's still scheduled to be executed tonight.

Hes black they wont check the evidence ofc.

• Locked thread