Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I always wonder who's behind the scenes picking music for AC trailers, because it's always the weirdest stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I get why people are worried about the RPG stuff, but it's not really that important unless you're really bought into the idea of this being open world. Yes, you can go anywhere any time, but the reality is that the RPG stuff is there to provide a linear progression from area to area, because if Syndicate is any indication, people above your level will be basically impossible, and people of your level are where you're meant to be.

That, honestly, makes it a different kind of lovely, but in that sense it at least has a purpose other than padding gameplay.

E: Of course two days after the game comes out there will be a Youtube video of someone killing the end boss at level one so it probably doesn't matter.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Syndicate had 4 or 5 power rankings for its map areas, I forget which exactly, and you could totally do things in any order in any area, but if you hosed up the higher level guys did like two thirds of your health a hit instead of maybe 5%, meaning it was all doable, but one missed parry and you were dead.

I expect Origins will be similar, as long as you're not going somewhere a dozen levels above you. Since they've shown levels in the mid and high 20s, I just expect there will be some places you're not intended to go immediately.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It honestly looks like too much game for me to enjoy. I didn't like that about TW3 and that map from Origins is already giving me shingles, especially because you know ubi isn't going to be very strategic about managing quest bloat.

I want to post a table breaking thinking emoji here, I really do.

I guess I get that, but if the game's good I definitely want as much of it as I can handle, since I very rarely replay single-player story focused stuff, so the more time I end up enjoying it first time through the better.

Orv
May 4, 2011
AC game... good? Not just good AC game? :raise:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Mummy trilogy. :v:

Egypt tends to be something that sees use as a background informant of a movies themes and locales rather than a focus on Egyptian life and politics itself. Which I'm cool with normally, it's better than nothing and dynastic Egyptian architecture and fashion is incredibly cool, but there's no real deep dive anything like there's thousands of medieval European movies. Rome season 2 does probably some of the best noodling around in that stuff but it's still not a focus.

Books I don't know, I'm a lovely idiot who doesn't read much non-fiction.

Orv
May 4, 2011
But what if all that and the Romans everyone has been whining for for years? AC bingo wins again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 2, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Yeah, yeah that's all well and good but the biggest news we've got so far is that the motherfuckers put ANIMAL PETTING BACK INTO THE GAME!

That's a pretty haughty attitude for a fuckin' cat of all things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

have you ever met a cat

S'what I'm saying, it's got no right to complain.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well that was loving stupid.

Orv
May 4, 2011
PC reqs, mildly surprising given how pretty the game looks.

quote:

Minimum

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-6350 @ 3.9 GHz or equivalent.
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD R9 270 (2048 MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better).
System RAM: 6GB.
Resolution: 720p.
Video Preset: Lowest.

Recommended

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
Processor: Intel Core i7- 3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz.
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD R9 280X (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better).
System RAM: 8GB.
Resolution: 1080p.
Video Preset: High.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Syndicate ran just fine on PC, Anvil or whatever it is really needed that extra year in the oven that Unity didn't get.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I love that he's just kinda a dumb older dude stumbling through this whole 'life of revenge' thing. Like he's genuinely upset for good reason, juuuust enough of a good guy to recognize the injustice in the world, but also basically an old cop who's not 100% on this whole 'do literally anything more complex than kick the door in and sword a guy'. It's extremely my jam.

Yeah it's interesting. All of the assassins have had some kind of major quirk or character pivot point. Ezio was a charming rogue, Connor was a whiny child incapable of learning, Edward was an rear end in a top hat, Arno was impossibly boring, Shay was gullible, Evie was clever and Jacob was a lovable idiot. Bayek is just kind of a dude. He's got motivations but he's just generally some fuckin' guy going around Egypt trying to fix a few things and maybe get justice. It's cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

blue squares posted:

uh what the gently caress happened after the first assassination? that was so confusing

Stylistic choices!

It's fuckin' weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh I do too. I like that they've finally given up on the whole assassination chats being anything other than exposition buffers and just gone full fever dream.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I assume if you gave them three years they'd just make a game that could not be finished in a human lifetime.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lollerich posted:

People like you are the reason that they never tried to improve the modern day segments. Please, please people like you, please stop buying these games and stop whinging. That would really be great! Please go away, you clearly don't like these games please gently caress off.

Thank you.

Actually friend, the people who like the modern day stuff are the weird, whiny minority. (The goon ones not so much, on the whiny part.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

bring back tailing missions!!!

Shut your whore mouth.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly at some point I'm okay with that. I have been a huge fan of the series, but even I was beginning to feel the burn out with Unity and Syndicate. If they can get the time to make meaningful changes and improvements with each iteration, that'd be great. They won't, they'll be back to one a year next year, but it'd be cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is anyone else else getting really funky sound when playing with headphones? I have a Fiio E10K DAC and have had no issues with any other games or media, but all of the voice acting sounds muddy, like the game is configured for a different sound setup.

There are some serious issues with USB surround headsets, if that's what that is. Use jacks or another headset.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Leak3 keeps delivering.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CreedThoughts posted:

I carry a full spear and part of a spear!

It's Leonidas' spear, in case you weren't wondering if they were going to fetishize Sparta.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lunethex posted:

There was a part in the trailer that very much looked like a 300 moment.

300 well kick is literally a combat move in the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Krazyface posted:

The player having a piece of eden would fit in with the theory that they end up building the proto-templar organisation.

Also is it just me, or does the player character not have a shield in this game?

No shield, they've been talking about the last couple days. They want to force a more aggressive pace of combat, and you have various equippable moves with a very quickly filling adrenaline meter to more easily deal with crowds/bosses.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"People question everything, Socrates a bit of the pain in the rear end..."

You don't say.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

No one liked Unity, even UBISoft openly admits to being disappointed in that game.

I liked Unity... 's multiplayer. And it's a crime that a series so utterly perfect for free roam co-op MP will probably never get it again because of the absolute travesty that was Unity.

That aside I am ready to be the daughter of Lee-oh-nee-das and kick so many people to death.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I liked it, but I also just like ship stuff

Truly the most awful option.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Screams in Greek.

Yeah I hope this isn't another AC follow-up where the MC is a completely unlikable prick.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

In this game, you'll have only yourself to blame for that.

I mean I've never had the problem some people do with playing the bad guy in RPGs but it's possible to always choose the nice option and the character to still be unlikable for a variety of reasons.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If for some reason you are a dumb fucker like me who doesn't really care about spoilers or playing stuff you've already seen, seemingly some kind of media embargo dropped today and Twitch is awash with streams at this very moment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Don’t all Steam keys double dip with Uplay though? So unless I’m reading that incorrectly you can launch it at midnight, just from Ubisoft’s own app.

I don't think they do anymore because of how they have to handle DLC registration limitations. Technically once it's launched on Steam it'll register through Uplay and you can just play it from there but that requires the Steam launch, AFAIK.

Steam also doesn't display discrete cd-keys anymore for the most part if you wanted to move it into the system ahead of time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

they wouldn't have to separate if they were the same. Like I will be able to pre-load on steam but it doesn't show in my Uplay account until after it unlocks on steam.

I'm just assuming because I made the mistake one time of buying DLC for, I think it was Syndicate, on Uplay with what had technically registered through Steam and it didn't let me play the DLC until I also bought Syndicate directly through Uplay. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh yeah duh. :downs: Carry on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

underage at the vape shop posted:

Why get it on steam when you can get a 20% discount for 100 uplay points

The US at least can't actually use that uplay credit voucher for pre-orders, it blows.

E: Oh, huh, at least that was the case for the last couple Ubisoft games I tried. Buying from inside the client allows me to use the 20% off despite it saying in very bold, very orange letters that it would not.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 27, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Didn't Origins already have that? It'd constantly pop up on screen USE SENU TO LOCATE WHATEVER!!! and there was no way to turn it off

What this does is turn off quest location markers - givers, end points, objectives, items - a la old school RPGs. Since you've still got a magic bird it's not as tedious as it might otherwise be. Luckily you can swap to and from that mode at any time so I might start on it just to see how it goes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Btw I tried to do this from the uplay app and I just get a big fat nothing when I click "claim promo code."

Yeah I tested it and then when I went back to do the actual purchase the in client store has been dead every time I've tried since. And it doesn't work through the website store. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Here is a video of all the Legendary armor sets in the game, which all give a bonus for the full set being equipped. He doesn't actually tell you how or where to get them but obviously for some people this is still a massive spoiler so own best judgement etc etc.

Disclaimer aside, they all look sick as hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

What I've seen so far of Odyssey looks really interesting, but I haven't played an AssCreed game after Revelations. Have the devs talked about how thick the modern era plotline will be? And if the story will be friendly to newcomers?

AFAIK they haven't really talked about it. If Origins is any indication it'll occasionally pull you out of your history murder to have the new modern day character(s) chat for about five seconds, after which you can almost always immediately go back in the Animus and tell them to go gently caress themselves.

As for the story in the main game, again if Origins is any indication it'll probably still have the same Rule The World overtones AC always has but since it's based before the Assassin Order was created and potentially even before the Templars, it'll probably be pretty standalone.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

So has anyone braver than me watched enough of the streams to have early impressions?

It is very much the Rogue to Origins. Refinements, improvements, some small but meaningful steps on the road of "Let's make AC a full RPG" and a new setting. Given the size and content it's a good thing they'll be taking another year off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I guess my main question would be: does the writing (both in general and for the mcs) seems like it's held up, or has it suffered due to the quick turn around time?

I haven't really seen enough story and quest stuff to say or not. I've mostly been watching gameplay and trying not to spoil myself on the side quests and plot because they were actually pretty good in Origins. Also it's not like the game was made in a year, it's a quicker turnaround time than some things but it was made at least somewhat in parallel to Origins.