Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's taking them long enough to pull the trigger on this story. I was totally on board with the modern story line (even if I always preferred the past story line) until they killed Desmond and went into auto pilot.

"Oh poo poo, Juno's loose! What the hell is going to happen now!" Nothing. The answer is nothing. She's, uh, trapped. Yeah, and um, she's trying to be free. Here, have a plot about Sages instead!

Are they worried if they ever actually close out the Juno plot, they'll have to stop making games or something? They can just make up a new plot if they want. Or abandon the modern story line. This "You work for a video game company now, nameless, faceless person" is just boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kurtofan posted:

will we get to meet gauls

Probably not. Wrong side of the Empire, and not the same time frame as his Gallic conquests. (He met Cleopatra about 2 years after the end of the Gallic Wars, if I remember correctly.) Maybe as slaves, or something?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xander77 posted:

de Bello Gallico has him constantly pulling auxilia out of his rear end at random times, so I guess he could bring some to Egypt.

Really though - Roman legions were always bolstered by other troops recruited wherever, so it would be totally historically accurate.

This is a fair point, I just don't know if they're going to bother making any Roman soldiers that look different than GenericRomanSoldier1, GenericRomanSoldier2, GenericRomanSoldier3, etc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

New patch adds 22 view points? Yikes. That probably would have made some quests earlier. (Just hit level 50, finished the family quests and the mythical creatures. Just 9 more cultists to go.)

Not complaining. More fast traveling is always good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Morter posted:

You could just not.

What, I'm just supposed to see an encampment of hunters and NOT murder them all in their sleep? Well then what the hell are we even doing here?!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ulio posted:

If they continue the trilogy route I hope the next trilogy after Rome concludes this one is an Oriental trilogy. They could do Romance of the 3 Kingdoms period China, Shogun period Japan and India with Rajs period would be sick as well. If they do China they could have Mongols in that as well, would love to assassinate Uncle Genghis Khan.

I am kinda dissappointed at Rome again. I forget didn't we already go to Rome in 2 and Brotherhood? I know a lot of Brotherhood was in Venice forgot what other cities.
Is the time period confirmed? I am guessing it is going to be Ancient/Early/Classical Rome. Not close to the Renaissance like the old games.

Also does anyone remember that cult group that worship the siblings who founded the city of rome? It's like 2 kids who were raised by wolves? Was that cult historically accurate?

Classical Rome is going to be way different than Renaissance Rome. And it's my favorite period of history to study, so I'm pretty psyched.

The brothers were Romulus and Remus. When Romulus began building the walls of Rome, Remus made fun of the wall and eventually jumped over it. Romulus, in response, killed Remus.

I don't think the cult was based on anything specifically during the Renaissance.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm at over 100 hours and I don't regret a single one of them. I've played all of the AC games (except Origins, which I plan on going back to soon, but my kid was born around when it came out and my free time disappeared), and Odyssey might be my favorite one. It's a massive open world, tons of fun side quests, and the few times I ran into something I was outleveled for, the "grind" to get up to level never felt too bad because there were tons of fun things to do to level. All I have left is 5 cultists before I'm out of "main story" stuff, but then I'll probably go achievement hunting. I have never once checked in on the cash shop.

If you like open world games with item customization, as you said, then you should jump all over this game. The overall story of the series barely comes up, and all you need to know is, "People in the modern day are searching through history to find 'magic' artifacts, they do this through a thing called the Animus, and also Templars are bad." and bam, you're good. There used to be a much more complicated modern day story line, but everyone agreed it was dumb and pointless and we all just wanted to run around history climbing things and stabbing people, so they've mostly abandoned it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

skooma512 posted:

Is there any benefit to conquest battles? I'm past Athens and it still doesn't seem like it matters who controls what. Both sides don't give a poo poo about me, so it's not like other games where capturing regions means less aggro.

Experience, and some cult members can only be found in a conquest battle (one for sure, there might be another I'm forgetting). You can find some mercenaries there. Some good gear, I guess. But on the whole, I haven't found a lot of reason to do them either, outside of some quests.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

poisonpill posted:

Nobody anywhere asked for their narrative to be infrequently interrupted by the day job of a computer programmer

True. I'm at least glad we're over how bad it was in the earlier games. "Want to take a break to walk around an office looking for hidden clues?" No. No I do not.

Which one was where you had to go down an elevator to a lobby to look for stuff, and Sean was there posing as a barista or something? God dammit, that was annoying.

While I wish they'd get rid of it altogether, I'm fine with the "barely there" level we got in Odyssey.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ulio posted:

Please yes, this is the worst part of the game for me. I know some people like the animus/real life segments but it always felt bolted on to be a twist in the original to make it stand out from Prince of Persia. It's not even a bad concept but it was done so poorly they should have forgot about it after the first game especially as most people didn't like or didn't care about it. The story was confusing in the real parts despite being the same story from the historical side and the gameplay felt 100x worse when you played as Desmond, not sure why.

I am still playing through Black Flag and man the ship is so much better than the Ezio Estate or Homestead in Ac3. Upgrading the ship is actually useful for ingame purposes. I know you get an hideout at some point because of the decorations but having the ship as a base and something you always have feels so good. I have only played up to this point in the series but this is the only AC game that wants you make collect everything so you can make your ship into a monster. I have already bought the strongest weapons a few hours in, normally I never care about gold or upgrading in older AC games. Just sailing on the ocean with your crew singing is such a fun time. It is still repetitive but it is more fun than the previous AC games.

Also if I am playing through the main series is Rogue worth playing? Or is it just Black Flag but worse?

A lot of people liked Rogue, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I thought it was Black Flag but worse. Instead of one giant map you have 3 (I think?) maps you have to go back and forth through, and it just felt like a worse experience all around.

It's the only Assassin's Creed game I haven't finished because I just wasn't having much fun, especially coming off of the (at the time) series peak of Black Flag.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was wrapped up in the comics apparently or at least all the juno stuff was.

Is there somewhere I can read a recap? I'm curious how they Poochie'd her out of the series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I make every helmet I equip look like The Wolf's helmet because it is just so god drat awesome looking. I can't be the only one, right?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So, what's up with the Cultist ending?

Kass touches the pyramid and sees clips from other Creed games, learning that, uh, some other people will fight over things. Aspasia shows up and is the Cultist leader, or was? And she used Kass to wipe out the Cult? And she talks about how they need a philosopher king to lead them in a true Republic or something? Then you can either kill her, or spare her, where she just kind of walks away, I guess to set up that Republic.

It just felt like a big fat load or nothing after all the buildup of killing all the Cultists. "I used you! To kill the people you already want to kill! Now I shall go off screen to do some stuff, unless you choose to kill me, meaning we probably will never hear about what that stuff is! Also, there are other games."

I haven't played Origins yet (yes, I will correct that, but this was a gift so I played it first), so maybe it's touching on something there, but mostly it was a let down.

Also, I've finished all of the Odyssey quests, and XBox is still telling me I've only completed 94% of the main story line. Am I missing something, or is it DLC stuff? I'm still doing fun side quests, but it seems I'm done with the "story" of the game.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ulio posted:

Ok almost done with Black Flag, this game is really drat good. I think I 100% the topside of the map but by the 2nd half of the game I felt like I had seen everything. Getting trapped in a storm with 2-3 factions fighting each other was never boring though. It was pure mayhem.

The story is also meh like all AC stories but the characters are interesting(Kenway/Thatch/Kid) so it makes up for it. Kinda funny how often Edward gets duped by people. I mean you would guess a guy who is a pirate would not get scammed so often but he still is a likeable character unlike Conor.

I got all the major elite upgrades for the Jackdaw super early so the missions felt ultra easy. This is probably the only AC game where I did so much side quest and accrued a lot of gold. I feel like in the old AC's you really didn't need upgrades since you could just one man army anything but the naval combat really forces you to invest more into the game's economy. The fleet system was like the brotherhood system, good side way to get gold and unlock some fancier cosmetics.

I wish they had more content in the open sea such as events like help other pirates or siege forts together etc. The land part was actually the worst since AC2 the climbing hasn't really been the main focus.

Anyway I just have 1 sequence left and I will probably play Revelations some time down the line after this.

As a warning, Revelations, while decent, will be a HUGE step backwards after playing Black Flag.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ulio posted:

Alright thanks for the heads up, I will probably take a break before trying it out. Black Flag is probably the AC game with the most game time I've had.

Yeah, it's great, and it was for me too. Until Odyssey. That game is loving great.

Been playing Origins now since I initially skipped it (new baby when it came out, didn't have time). Barely into it, but really liking it so far.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

kinda. the problem is haytham is kinda of a better character then conner.

Yeah that's one place that I think AC3 really shot itself in the foot over. It starts you off playing as this totally badass Revolutionary War era James Bond character, and then switches everything up as you play the rest of the game as wet noodle Connor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

orcane posted:

I know the faction system sort of creates this expectation, but it's never about winning the war for one side or another. The political landscape serves as a background for the "chasing alien artifacts against enemy order of bad people, also family I guess" plot threads, but you can't alter it on your own - you're not allowed to run around and wipe out historical figures unless the game portrays the battle they died in, and you're on the enemy side.

I actually never thought about this, but I assume nothing happens if you manage to flip every section to one side, right? Like, if I make it so Sparta is in charge of every island, nothing changes?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rinkles posted:

I think it's kinda cool, but the naval stuff feels pretty shallow in Odyssey (I haven't played an AC game with ships before).

Bit odd how it's become a staple feature in a franchise about stabbing dudes.

The naval stuff in Black Flag was fantastic, so they know how to do it right. Odyssey was a way toned down version of that, and as a side game. Having played Black Flag, where naval stuff was the main focus, I trust them to making a Vikings game for sure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Der Kyhe posted:

It was even worse the first time around: After being Ezio for the last three games you were the suave, slick talking playboy and a loving invocation of terror who was built like a tank and armed to kill a loving army. Your name was the curse of death among your enemies and even the mightiest rulers of the era mobilized their entire armies to slow you down long enough to hide and escape, because your were the wrath of loving god ripping everything they had built apart and they knew that they will die, it is now only a matter of time. Showing up to give some lip to Ezio was an easy way to find out how many times you can be stabbed before you lose consciousness. Even if you bring the entire loving army with you should you be insane enough to lead it personally. It was implied that Ezio hosed and stabbed around enough in Renaissance Italy to probably cause a genetic shift similar to what Genghis Khan did in real life. The game gave a real implication that your character was the most loving dangerous thing walking on face of the Earth and even his enemies knew that fact very well.

And then we go to AC3, and get the tutorial segment with the cool colonial James Bond who could have easily carried the torch. But no, we finally end up as Connor, who once went to interrogate a meathead of a marshal and managed to get captured by a guy who probably could not even spell his own name. And right afterwards was actually put to gallows, and the enemies didn't give enough poo poo to actually even hide from you, they just usually smack talked you while their goons gave you a beating. They were even present at the same political events with you, but you really could not do jack poo poo because that would have been rude or something. Also, being incompetent and stoic really did not do any favors in the player experience part.

This post is art.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

Is the Sparta Kick in Odyssey worth getting if I'm playing an Assassin build? I really only want to get it if it's powerful enough to send enemies flying over low walls because if it can't then I've got other attacks that are good for playing King of the Mountain and using gravity to kill tough opponents.

I don't think it can send enemies flying over walls, but it can be super handy when boarding a ship, because if you kick someone off the ship (which is super easy to do in most cases) they die. Apparently they can't swim?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

On a separate note, we're going to have to come up with better abbreviations for Origins and Odyssey.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Deakul posted:

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/348214/Assassins-Creed-Odyssey-First-Episode-of-The-Fate-of-Atlantis-Story-Arc-Launches-April-23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULAyCisTEI

What a cool trailer, I wonder if the game itself will look like those Inception/Doctor Strange reality bending sequences all the time when in Elysium.
If so, this just rose to top of my :catdrugs: games.

This looks amazing. I don't have to have the other DLC that everyone hates to get this, do I?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FYI, the prologue quest to Fate of Atlantis is live now. The Heir of Memories. Orange marker on the map.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The section where they make you play as Deimos is pretty hosed up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

10 Beers posted:

Grappling hook was pretty cool, too.

Yeah, it was like Ubisoft played Arkham City and said, "...hmmm". And the game is better for it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, I picked it up last night and played for a little bit. It's gorgeous so far. Can't say much about the content yet. (The download for XBox One took forever.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I think I'm slightly ahead of the curve because I actually did take some time to do lost tales of greece. They really are pretty decent and give a trophy at the end which excites my lizard brain. Plus it helps that its one giant quest with like 5 sub quest portions that all give exp so it feels like I get a level just for doing one of the tales.

I mainly want to level up so I can take out the cultists. I don't really care about the main story but I like doing stuff like taking out lower level members and working my way up to the top.

You're gonna do fine, and really enjoy this game.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wolfsheim posted:

I actually like all the modern-day + ancient aliens bullshit because it's interesting to me how a long-running series like this deals with that kind of baggage. I know some people would prefer it just didn't exist at all but it's kinda cool to see how well its integrated into, say, Origins (somewhat fleshed-out but almost entirely optional, both in getting Layla's backstory and seeking out those secret future messages) or how awkwardly shoved in they are in Syndicate (literally just a series of random cutscenes of....some guy? Watching Rebecca and Shaun do...something? And then evil alien god out of nowhere 2/3rds of the way through?)

:jerkbag:

I tend to like the modern-day + ancient aliens bullshit, too, but only back in the day when it felt like they were building towards something. Ever since we switched from the Assassin's trying to stop an old god from taking over the world to...working at a video game company, or whatever Layla and company are up to, I lost interest real quick. If they suddenly starting making the modern day stuff be something interesting on it's own, I'd be down for more of it. But Layla finding an artifact/temple and moving on is just boring to me.

That being said, I'm one of the few people who kind of loved Kassandra showing up in modern day clothes and giving Layla the staff. That's something, that's sort of interesting, and opens the door to her showing up in later games to...I don't know what, but do something. More of that, please.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I went back and started playing The Ezio Trilogy, so Assassin's Creed II, for the first time in years. I forgot how annoying it is that guards don't like it when you even run, let alone start climbing buildings. Dude, running and climbing buildings is why I play this game!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Unskippable cutscenes are hard to go back to :(

Yes, that too.

I'm gonna stick with it for a bit to see if I can get back into the right frame of mind, but it's hard to go back to before we got so many improvements to the series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Amppelix posted:

This is literally ubisoft's next game

Which game are you referring to?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sweet, thanks!

I'm in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So...there's a castle. So it's an Assassin's Creed game.

Not really telling us much yet.

That being said, I know nothing about graphic design, so watching someone create something like this is basically like watching magic to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

We have another person.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

For what it's worth, I played Odyssey first, and when I went back and tried to play Origins, I found it difficult to get into, because it's very much like Odyssey, but a bit of a step backwards, and desert as far as the eye can see. So maybe play Origins first to see the ways they remade the series, then move on to Odyssey to see how they built on that?

Like, I recognize how Origins is a good game, but after playing Odyssey, I just couldn't have fun with Origins. I can't even really place my finger on why. I just kept thinking, "drat, this isn't Odyssey." Not a shining endorsement, I know, but everyone I know who played Origins first loving loved it, so I feel like I missed out on something playing it in the order that I did.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Manxome Foe posted:

Uh, the artist is destroying all of the castles he drew now in the livestream. Getting interesting.

Yeah, really cool idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think a couple of people in the background still don't have heads.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I feel like they can basically call it at this point. They're not really adding anything of consequence now. Like, yup, they made that cloud of smoke a little grayer. We've got the picture, give us the title and move on.

edit: And as soon as I say that, they add a belt to the assassin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Assassin has a beard. I hope they still give us the option of male or female protagonist, given how much Kassandra ruled over...whatever his name was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well, this sure has been a fun ride, I can say that. I've had it open in the background while I work all day. It's been part Assassin's Creed reveal, part Photoshop tutorial. I've never seen a game reveal like it. Amazing stuff. Can't wait for AssCreed Vikings, or whatever they call it.