Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RatHat posted:

Just found out this game comes out on the same day as Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein 2. That might be a problem.

For Wolfenstein maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are there actual assassination contract missions or are people just talking about sidequests that give you a target to kill?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah there's even a loading screen tip that says "If you accidentally dismantle a Store item, you can always just claim it again" but they must have patched that out, otherwise you'd have a (very slow) way to get infinite money since you can sell materials. And also the fact you'd be able to essentially upgrade them for free.

Then just make them dismantle into nothing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Also why can't I reliably downclimb in this stupid loving game? Half of the time you just end up falling or jumping down to your doom. Climbing also feels slower and the animations are super stiff/weird.

It sounds like you're trying to climb down with O/B/whatever on PC.

That's the "let go and fall" button. To climb down you just hold down.

That still doesn't work a lot, but it should never make you fall at least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't use the ground and pound skill on a bear. WGOTY.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nothing is more satisfying than Warhammer heavy attack, Stomp, repeat.

I don't need any other weapons, this is it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Syndicate is maybe the finest video game I've ever played. And by that I mean "it was fine" in every single aspect.

The stun/kill chain mechanic is very cool but difficult to setup without killing people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Earwicker posted:

Syndicate has the best assassination animations in the series imo. love how you can just calmly walk down the street and prick someone and then they just kind of collapse as you slowly walk off

however I find the combat really awkward in that game once you actually get into a fight

definitely my favorite of the "one big city" type of AC games though

It has the best hand to hand animations too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Play only dice that give you favors and blow them up with Thor power.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

homullus posted:

I would say "favors and hands" to speed up saving for maximum Thor power. Keep the healing one around for a game with especially bad luck, but again save up for the max if you can.

Oh yeah, that's what I mean. Anything that gains you favors, plain hands is fine too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a bunch of ways to do that quest. There's a shitload of clues so you don't need to find everything, and also you can just question villagers.

Sab669 posted:

That's dumb. Would've been cool if you just off the wrong dude and then the rest of the chain is harder (tbh I don't remember how much was left after that though :v:)

That does happen, sort of.

You fight a boss battle against Galinn. So that's a little bit harder than getting it right.

Soma kills whoever you name. Later, Galinn tries to kill the 3rd. It's a fakeout, but it briefly looks like they're dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Earwicker posted:

yeah these also prevent you from doing a raid entirely by yourself using stealth, which i enjoy every once in a while for variety. however there are a few churches where you can actually get in by breaking a window if you look close. unfortunately it's very hard to tell which kind of glass window is breakable and which isn't

The stained glass always seems breakable, just that often there's something solid behind it anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Aww, the scimitar in Reda's shop is a two handed weapon. Basim has one handed sword animations, let us use those!

Every 2 handed weapon is a one handed weapon eventually!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why would I heavy attack someone downed when I can Stomp him?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you reset your skills it doesn't reset the hidden nodes so once you have like 50 points you can just reveal all of the skills

They re-fogged for me at some point. Not sure what did it, but of course you can just do it again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shut up blegum posted:

Where can I find a hammer? I was pretty sure I had one but it's not in my inventory anymore. Want to try something other than the dad-axe.

There's a warhammer in the Marauder's Den in Norway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KoldPT posted:

what's the deal with the opal gear, is it exclusive to that merchant or do you just get it at max upgrades?

It's the stuff from the premium store.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last 2 added superbosses and stuff eventually. Not at launch though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Perestroika posted:

It's doubly weird because, to the best of my knowledge, greatswords just plain weren't a thing in that era. I guess you can't entirely rule out that somebody somewhere made an oversized sword because people are always experimenting, but the earliest greatswords we've actually found didn't pop up until like 3-400 years after when the game is set, and were pretty rare even then. Putting those in while neglecting single-handed swords (which were fairly common and super iconic for the time) is just absolutely :psyduck:

There’s tons of regular swords, Eivor just doesn’t use them.

Except in the kill animation for the elite enemies that carry them.

Oh dear me posted:

I seem to remember it being said that the genderswitching option would have an in-game explanation. Did that happen, or did I dream it?

Animus corruption.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does Piercing Arrow shoot through barred doors?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SubNat posted:

Piercing arrow doesn't interact with any red-breakable objects, pretty sure. It's specifically coded to not let you cheese them I think.
That was the first thing I tested once I got them, tried once or twice and couldn't get it to smash the bar.

Just get the valkyrie leap, that'll let you pop the barred doors just fine.

I have that but it never seems to work. Is there an optimal distance to use it from? Does it require tier 2?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

I think it does, I could never get it to work with one, now it's 100%

My power level is still a bit low for the zone it's in, but from a Youtube video it seems like it's just in a tower I don't have to fight to reach.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So for some reason enemies higher level than you can see up better, but I was able to run to the Book of Knowledge easily enough to get Dive of the Valkyries tier 2.

If you can safely get to Lunden, you can easily get the book and never find your way around a barred door again. To be honest you can probably do this at power level 0. I did have to fight a boar that saw me before I went into the keep where the book is but I probably could have ignored it and run.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s in the top left of the web.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is exactly what the Odyssey thread looked like, except talking about Origins.

Although nobody liked Bayek more than Kassandra.

Shammypants posted:

Is there a reason to get a PS5 version of the game not on sale, when the PS4 version has a PS5 digital upgrade for free and is on sale? Is the upgrade not the same as the PS5 version?

No difference at all.

The only time you'd be stuck is if the PS4 disc was on sale but you had a disc-less PS5, since the upgrade requires the PS4 disc in there as a key.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I did a monastery raid earlier in Ox-whatever-shire (gently caress these names, speak English assholes!) at about power level 100 and this 130 or something power zealot jerk showed up.

But I was on top of a huge rear end tower with one of those scorpion turrets and just plinked away at his health for about 3-4 minutes until he died. The bolts have decent knockback but eventually he got shoved into a building corner and just stood there uselessly throwing spears that kept missing or trying to heal and getting interrupted.

It was pretty funny that dumb trick worked, but if it wasn't for that tower I guess he would have just showed up and beat the poo poo out of my raid?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the actual recommended power level for Vinland? When I got the quest it said 0, but the next day it said 130.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

If you get anywhere near them and use Odin Sight they will show whether they're Gear or Ingots. If they stay a yellow dot even when you're near, you know it's nothing special.

You can also tell by zoom level. The ones that disappear when you zoom out to the wider zone map are just ore and leather.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

It appears to be a legit great game, even reviewers who don't like recent AC games are saying it's fantastic

So I think what happened here is ubisoft released their three games in order of quality so they'd sell more copies

Watch Dogs 3 < Valhalla < Immortals

It's also super weird to see a company competing so hard with itself

It's reviewing slightly lower than Valhalla though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Douchebag posted:

Are the items in Reda’s shop worth it? Will the mythical hunter bow be better than one of the couple I have now if I upgrade them?

Should I be saving opals for random rare stuff from his shop?

It's stuff from the cash shop, it's mostly for looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, and to Earwicker's point above about Ubisoft borrowing from all over the place, that's the part they're cribbing from Breath of the Wild.

Or the myriad of games that did that decades before Breath of the Wild.