Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Polygon... good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Let Russ run the PUBG and other streaming events. He's comedy and entertainment poison, and I say that with love and respect.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Polygon sucks, is what I'm trying to say. If you wanna listen to a podcast of gaming "journalists" who have actually been in the industry for a number of years chatting in-depth on games, just listen to the Game Informer show.

Yes I can only consume one medium regarding a single subject! You've saved me from having to listen to people who succeed at entertainment versus information.

Thanks 8-Bit Scholar.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kaewan posted:

Wow I had no idea Nick was such a creepo, loved carboys. Good on polygon for doing something about it.

I do like watching an awful squad every now and then. I appreciate how the gang knowingly admits they're terrible at everything unlike a lot of reviewers. Speaking of which that Polygon Doom vid is funnier than a lot of their comedy skits.

Monster Factory is really good too, but yeah the Nick + Griffin stuff was gold but I really don't want to touch it right now because some of the jokes were kinda gross in context.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Polygons writing and creative staff have public views that align with my own, so I can trust their review of a game to subjectively be similar to my own.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Russ should not be allowed to be both a cameraman and a player in Awful Squad. He's fine as just cameraman.

He's comedy poison.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Golden Goat posted:

What was the DOOM video thing?

It's the videogame equivalent of BUZZFEED EMPLOYEES SHOOT GUNS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ariong posted:

There are many who believe that Awful Squad would be better without Russ, but consider this:

If Russ was not there, who would do the awful countdown at the start of each stream?

I always know when the ten minute mark is in a match because, like clockwork, I hear Justin singing. Therefore I elect Justin for the new position is countdown master.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Actually it's about ethics in videogame journalists DMs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Games... Art?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fauxbot posted:

i haven't been able to watch a polygon vid involving russ for more than ten seconds now since somebody posted here that he just sounds like a polite 12yo, i just can't deal with it

Real life TAZ Angus.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Serf posted:

How dare you

Hello Sirs!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sometimes I think Polygon's writers huff farts too, but I don't feel it's a very interesting opinion. Some of the reviews, and especially the written ones, are a bit pretentious for the medium they're regarding, so I don't always agree with Polygon's reviews.

Penny Arcade decided that was a hot enough take to make a few cents per hundred clicks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hello i will fite people over my stupid bonkers age-fluid Riverdale show.

I love-hate it so much.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Inzombiac posted:

Every now and then I yell at Nick on social media about how he royally hosed up some of the best internet series.

I'm not sure my media consumption is much more important than the sexual harassment of peers and contemporaries, but sure, I guess.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ariong posted:

It would be inappropriate for Inzombiac to do anything about that. That would be disrespectful to the victims of the harassment. It's not Inzombiac’s fight.

Do you really think that PMing Nick about what he did to those other people is an OK thing to do? Really? You want people to do that?

Whoa take it easy I was not saying that either.

I'm saying pming Nick is dumb and uncool regardless of the reason. But I assumed he was joking, too, which I seem mistaken about.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Goddamn I have not been as frustrated as I am watching Russ play a loving video game in a looooong time.

He can't use his loving eyes. He might literally be blind. I don't understand how he doesn't understand basic loving systems.

Hey Russ, you piece of poo poo, a rudder works like a car. You turn it a little bit, get your heading correct, and then straighten it back out. You don't keep jamming the wheel left and right and left and right like mickey loving mouse you incompetent moron.

Sir this is a McDonald's

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Russ is disastrously bad at PUBG. I simultaneously love and hate it.

"Actually, I prefer the UZI."
- an idiot.

Also lmbo at the Justin and Griffin exchange

(random group chatter)

Justin: Sh-uh-- I can't hear the world, guys...

Griffin: Oh, you want me to get out my loving acoustic guitar when you can't hear the world?!

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 26, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shinjobi posted:

Griffin is a big butthead during awful squad though. Half of the fun I've had in the streams is watching Russ nearly cause a complete meltdown in Griff. Intentional? Maybe. Hilarious? To me, yes.

Yes I can't get enough of how much they're only held together by a thin veneer of professionalism.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thank Russ for Russ

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I really vibe on Allegra.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sometimes the sex jokes make me a little bit uncomfortable but it's mostly farcical and about fictional dudes not real people.

That is my Polygon show sentiment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Not Operator posted:

How the gently caress are there still 1000 viewers on that stream?

Am I misremembering, or isn't that double Awful Squad numbers?

Because the live chat. Weather currently discussing whether Waluigi is a top or bottom.

with his 5 or W shaped butt cheeks of course he's a power bottom

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"Griffin, you big jabroney!
You've done a big hit with this steel pony!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Not Operator posted:

Just checking in to say Allegra is officially the best polygon.

https://twitter.com/LegsFrank/status/969397845349593088

Excuse me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbJbCILXrX0

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Colonel Whitey posted:

Brian Gilbert continues to be the best (buy his bed)

https://twitter.com/briamgilbert/status/970471680039669761?s=21

I’m lovin this new jean jacket street tough character

Brian Gilbert Super Awesome Show, Great Job!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What game is this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There's a bunch of stuff on Polygons YouTube channel that quietly dissolved so I'm not too worried about them cancelling a few projects by putting a bow on them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Serf posted:

replace nick with the cube from cook for cube

I can't take knowing anymore Griffin fetishes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRA3zAu4LZc

RUSS HAS UNLOCKED HIS TRUE POTENTIAL.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shinjobi posted:

Conventions are so loving awful in terms of sickness. They never fail to infect at least one of your friends. Never ignore the orange juice, y'all.

Vitamin C doesn't help.

Wash your hands; act under the assumption everyone else was just scratching their own rear end in a top hat; and STOP TOUCHING YOUR GODDAMN FACE.

You can still catch some airborne diseases but the average person touches their face almost three times a minute, and you're usually not washing properly between contact with strangers.

I worked security at a large Vegas hotel resort, and these tips kept me healthier than my co-workers.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 12, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://mobile.twitter.com/itsashleyoh/status/1027327601885499393

:catstare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dogsicle posted:

i would probably agree with this just on the basis that polygon content has had way too many fetish bits and a kind of low level horny on main vibe that would only get more uncomfortable as more of these assaults come to light. like if there isn't some shift in tone it is just way too weird for me to have people doing piss bits or talking about how bowser and mccree are sexy at the same place where a bunch of people have been getting away with sexual assault.

I'm kinda over the Polygon show because I feel like I'm intruding into a safe space that is also problematic in it's own ways.

They say some poo poo that absolutely is not okay and fail to acknowledge when it happens, so it feels a lot like the str8 girls club sometimes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mode 7 posted:

Would you mind elaborating on the sorts of things they say that feel problematic? This isn't some sort of weird challenge callout or burden of proof thing, I'd just like to hear your perspective and educate myself a bit more.

They say a lot of things about dudes that feel unnecessarily sexualized, which I get uncomfortable with because I couldn't imagine saying the same things about women being okay.

Sexual humor at Polygon always inhabits this weird place where its abstracted, to the point of being absurd, and that doesn't bother me nearly as much as when they start sounding very earnest about what cranks their engine.

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, because of male privilege, but for instance, they described in depth an experience at a con in Japan doing one of those host club things. I didn't mind terribly, and then I imagined being a male co-host, and couldn't imagine a single moment that he would be welcome to say anything without sounding like a complete weirdo.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean it's not the straight girls club, this is literally Simone's twitter av

Yeah and yet she rarely (if ever) says the kind of uncomfortably raunchy poo poo about some other woman that she does about dudes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'll be honest, some of the stuff they say about dudes makes me uncomfortable, but it isn't equivalent to guys talking about women the same way because of the inherent societal power differential. This isn't in a vacuum, it's in a world where men sexually objectifying women has a lot more violent and harmful poo poo associated with it than the reverse*.

* no I am not saying there are no bad effects from women objectifying men--those definitely exist, but they're not on the same level.

This is pretty much why I stayed silent about it before and jokingly called it the "str8 girls club" and only remarked that it made me uncomfortable, not that it needed to be shut down or something.

eke out posted:

is your criticism of the all-women show really "wow, what a double standard, a MAN wouldn't be allowed to say this" because it sounds like concern trolling

okay first you assume everyone's straight then you say the one who is prominently out isn't gay enough. cool

That wasn't quite what I was getting at but the sarcastic poo poo is very constructive.

I just said some of the poo poo they say about dudes is very weird and makes me feel alienated; I was pressed to explain my feelings and I'm just trying to figure out the right way to describe it?

drat this is kind of pissing me off because I even explicitly acknowledge that poo poo is different in society for men and women and that it wasn't a great loving comparison and yet you still had to be crappy just because.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 9, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ashley O hosting Polygon show, Simone on vacation???

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And Hemingway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ainsley McTree posted:

if she met hemingway in real life, i wonder if she'd actually like him. maybe she's covered this already i don't know

She's actually discussed it in one of the more recent episodes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't want video game journalism on the YouTube channel. There's a lot of that available elsewhere.

I want video game adjacent entertainment on the YouTube channel. That's the transcendent content that we all loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Vox squanders all it's stars for playing it safe.

WHERE'S JON BOIS?

Ironically SB Nation has some of the more interestingly made poo poo about subjects I usually don't find myself caring about.