Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ogmius815 posted:

I will, however, defend making nice with Lieberman after he won because, however distasteful, it was justified by the end of giving the democrats control of the senate.

"Democrat control of the Senate" means nothing when the critical votes are held by Dems that vote like GOP.

Nevvy Z posted:

The idea that dems shouldn't support their sitting president against a primary challenger is absurd.

The idea that a decent sitting president couldn't beat a primary challenger is absurd. You're literally protecting incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

You are right, better to let the Republicans pass their whole agenda. Better for everyone.

I remember when the Blue Dogs stopped the Patriot Act, the Iraq War, and the Telecom Immunity Act.

Likewise I remember when the GOP got control of the entire federal government in 2017 and immediately repealed the ACA.

This sort of fear-mongering isn't going to work anymore. Sorry.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

George W Bush got pretty much everything he wanted out of the Blue Dog Dems with the exception of Social Security "reform", and the GOP would have gotten that under Obama if their racist base didn't hate his guts.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I married into a large Hispanic family (I'm white) and they seem like they could flip GOP pretty easy if the racism got dropped. Don't want to say much more than that because they accepted me utterly and have been nothing but hospitable and nice, but they also sound a lot like my right-wing Arizona-based relatives on a lot of topics.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Consider that the of the majority of white non-evangelicals didn't vote pedo as a saving grace. It was the evangelical whites that voted for Moore overwhelmingly.

Some dipshit online was like "well that's the percentage that voted, there's tens of thousand or more that stayed home" and it's like great, your evangelical morality is either vote for the pedo OR ABSTAIN, you can't bring yourself to vote against him. Real moral high ground you've got here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Really you should be asking yourself "what's the matter with white boomers? (and older GenX people)" because they really are the absolutely epitome of garbage politics and beliefs.

The answer, in my anecdotal experience, is that they largely benefited from the welfare state and labor protections of the Greatest Generation while convincing themselves that they were self-made bootstrappers who outcompeted everyone in a Randian hellscape. You haven't lived until you've heard some Orange County firefighter chief who retired at 58 collecting a 140k a year pension rail against wasteful government from his second home (a condo in Hawaii)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 14, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just a little something for this thread: my son had a recital today and attends a Christian pre-school. They are all very sweet ladies and I've had no problem with their very kiddie occasional "Jesus loves me" stuff. They never hit or even raise their voices to my son, they're very good with him. Well I went into the church (Baptist) before the show and they were playing "Christmas" music, and it was the most vile poo poo I've ever heard. It was all that terrible brand of contemporary Christian vaguely country-sounding crap, and the lyrics were disgusting culture war vomit like "America's sleeping, a darkness rises in the east, liberals say: save a tree, kill the children" poo poo. I could not believe it, and this was supposed to be a fun thing for parents to enjoy...they thought nothing of it, nothing at all. Warped minds.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kilroy posted:

That's a shame. Best of luck with your search.

See, that's the best part. This was the end of my search. We went through 4 schools over a year and this was by far the best one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BarbarianElephant posted:

Involved parents can talk to the head teacher about their concerns. If this is just preschool, whatever, but if your kid is here for their school career, they could get severely screwed up by this sort of thing. It's possible to be a religious school without singing about how the liberals are evil. That's messed up.

I've been to their other stuff and they've never done this. This was all pre-show music in the church, btw, once the kids came out they turned it off. Guess I should have made that clearer.

They gave us the music they play in the actual classrooms, it's all "be nice to each other" acoustic guitar stuff. No religious talk. So it was really shocking to me.

Anyway it's just for this year, but I was shocked that anyone would play that kind of thing at a "neutral" event for parents.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

joepinetree posted:

Neoliberalism is marked by a regulatory framework that focuses on making markets work.

Work for who?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also let's say Biden won, ok great now we're turbo-hosed when he and the Dem party continue to do nothing about any of the underlying problems. Sure we get some nice rhetoric and the good feelings of beating the GOP and then the reality will set in: Biden Dems will continually capitulate to corporations and the mil-industrial complex for 4 more years while literally hundreds of thousands more midwesterners die of opoid overdose and more people end up permanently indebted in poverty with no way out and even more end up hanging by their fingertips over the abyss and forced to bust their asses harder and harder just to keep what they've got. Then Trump 2.0: This Time He's Actually Competent comes along. I don't want to play those odds.

Can't wait to hear Uncle Joe tell millennials that they're just imagining making 20% less than their parents while carrying heavier debt loads and priced out of the primary wealth-building mechanism of America (owning a home) and that they need to get tough or whatever other stupid Old White Guy poo poo he comes up with.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

JeffersonClay, IIRC any politician who is not currently in politics has their approval numbers slowly rise. That's very common. Also IIRC, HRC was one of the exceptions to this.

If I'm wrong somebody correct me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Allow me to give you the cliff notes of neoliberalism:

https://twitter.com/SenatorDurbin/status/954118788521316359

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm going to post something I've started noticing/figured out/stumbled upon in the last couple of years: every centrist I know (both IRL and online) thinks that politics, in part, is a game of obfuscation of intention. Like "oh Person X thinks they got the better deal but in fact I did" or "My policies are actually unpopular, so I'll disguise them by making this very complicated and then describing it on a technicality while disguising the real intent". If you believe in this kind of political calculus - that people shouldn't actually know what you're scheming at, that politics is actually in part a game of hoodwinking people into accepting something they wouldn't otherwise - then you say things like Hillary Clinton did, "you need to have a public and private position", or you start thinking that the out-and-proud transperson plainly speaking their (correct) moral beliefs under the banner of your party is a problem.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chelsea Manning interview in the Guardian. She's got some very good points, but "100% open borders" and "close all prisons and release all inmates" is 2018 political suicide, I'm sorry to say.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/19/chelsea-manning-interview-wikileaks-senate-maryland

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It has mine too...that's not the issue.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I agree but what this shows me is she's not serious about winning. I'm glad she's doing what she's doing and wouldn't ask for anything else but my expectations for her campaign have cratered. Too bad. Cardin is a sack of poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's going to be a huge blow when Chelsea gets less than 20% of the vote, I don't understand how this is bouncing off people. The reason Bernie matters is because he demolished the idea that "if you believe/say <left wing issue> people won't vote for you", saying extremely leftwing poo poo and then not getting any votes is exactly what people expect and won't be noteworthy at all.

She went directly for Senate, didn't run for any smaller office to learn or get credibility, and is now saying "we need to close all the prisons and release all the inmates" and "I'm waiting for people to come to me" in her first interview, give me a break. This is not a serious campaign and she's going to crater and that's bad. It's exactly the same dynamic as the Green Party spending decades saying far-left stuff and taking absolute beatings at the ballot box. That's what this is. It's a drat Green Party run in the Dem primary and it's going to have the same effect.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

twodot posted:

Manning's doing the right thing, openly advocating for policy, having the conversation. Maybe those policies aren't popular, but they're never going to be if we don't talk about them.

Again, the Green Party has been doing this for years and nobody gave a poo poo.

I'm just mad at the artlessness of it, the proposing radical solutions and then sitting back and waiting for people to come to you. That's not serious. Radical ideas require radical tactics to introduce them, not blurting them out with a hashtag.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

There is a massive difference between a third party run and a primary run. Primaries are about changing the party from within.

Fair enough and a good point, but I don't think the party's old guard is going to be too worried when Manning crashes out with 13% of the vote. I would loooooove to be wrong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

twodot posted:

But you just made a post about how you were tired of politicians adopting private and public positions, and then someone runs for Senate openly advocating for what they think is just and now you seem mad. This is what you wanted earlier in the day, did you skip lunch or something? Like we can have a conversation about whether prison abolition is a good goal, but I don't see how you can get up in arms about a person who thinks prison abolition is a good goal running a campaign on prison abolition being a good goal.

You cannot just say "abolish prisons" without some setup. I'm not saying she should hide that she wants to abolish prisons, I'm saying "Abolish all prisons and release all inmates #WeGotThis" is a bad way to get this across and will cause potential hearts and minds to slam shut.

Everyone has made good points so I'm just gonna see what happens, but running a campaign where you have 2 staffers and taking a "who will come see me?" approach seems bad to me. But then again I was convinced Trump would never be president, I'm not infallible.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 19, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mornacale posted:

It's three weeks and yes they got 6 years of CHIP. It's a fine deal if they can manage not to gently caress up the PR, and if they didn't manage to embolden Republicans to completely refuse any decent DREAM act altogether; we'll see if either of those conditions hold.

It's a loving terrible deal!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I literally don't know anyone IRL who could run for office. I mean, they literally don't have the time. Unless you're a kid, retired, or rich, I don't see how you could do it.

The city council in my town is all retirees and I'm starting to figure out why.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ardennes posted:

They rather lose with decorum than be put in a position where they base actually gets energized because they know that will eventually put them out of a job and/or they are fearful of the results of a left-wing shift.

The main problem I have with this is that the self-reported base has largely forgiven George W Bush, likes HRC (78% favorable), and unconditionally loves Obama (95% favorable). They got excited about President Oprah. In other words, their politics are largely loyalty-driven personality-based trash.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I love that the mainstream media just started using the right-wing framing of "chain migration" with no problems whatsoever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr Hootington posted:

It would matter if she was president or it was 2016 again.

It does matter despite her current political impotence. One of the biggest problems we lefties have is convincing people that ideology is more important than genetics, or in other words that "representation" is not going to fix any of our problems in and of itself.

So now we have our centrist black president utterly destroying black wealth for the benefit of the banks, we have our centrist "I'm with Her" candidate who ran on a feminist platform failing to deal with a male sex predator who was utterly under her control in her organization.

The reality is that our political process is designed to promote and advance elite warmongers who support an aristocracy of capital and throw the powerless to the wolves - we call them "centrists" - and changing the genetics of those elite and nothing else isn't going to matter at all. The whiteness and maleness of representation is a symptom, not the cause.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 26, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

https://twitter.com/eyokley/status/957970577469460480

Let's start a gofundme to stomp on schumer's neck in order to prevent him from talking ever again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is not true. Police are allowed to use deadly force based on an objectively reasonable perception of a threat of death, or serious bodily injury. Scared has nothing to do with it, and the fear must be rational. The fact that you keep spreading false information like this makes having these discussions much harder.

Literally anyone can watch the execution of Daniel Shaver by a non-scared cop who plays a deadly game of "Simon Says" with him until he fucks up and dies and know that this isn't true.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Functionally, we live in a society where the cops can kill you or your pets for any reason at any time and there's nothing you can do about it. The DA will find 12 bootlickers to let them off and that's that...if there's even a trial.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

In my hometown some dude recently had a psychotic break, went to his kid's elementary school, punched some administrator in the face and took an old teacher hostage.

The police bust in 7 hours later and killed him.

He didn't have a weapon.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Feinstein is one of the worst Dems around and it looks like CA is ready to send her back for 6 more years! Really disappointing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Feldegast42 posted:

Oh for Gods sake vote, and when you aren't voting then get involved in activism and clearing out the deadwood in the democratic party. Not voting changes nothing and perpetuates the current situation even more than voting for the dems

The average Dem loves the deadwood in the party. We're where we are because the average Democrat is a complete political dipshit with the memory of a concussed goldfish.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nevvy Z posted:

He's bad, but poo poo have you seen the rest of his state?

West Virginia was solidly Dem for many years, it broke open for the GOP in 2000 when the Dems converted to Clintonite neoliberalism.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It just totally goes un-commented on that 45% of America just didn't show up for 2016, this Apocalyptic Election that would Decide The Fate Of the United States and Refute Racism For All Time and Shatter The Glass Ceiling Forever. Instead let's just smash some Jill Stein-voting dipshit for the nine millionth time. Just total erasure that the real "winner" of the 2016 popular vote by a gigantic margin was I Don't loving Care.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kobayashi posted:

I just can’t get over the fact that Democrats are getting rolled by Donald loving Trump right now. What a disaster.

The core Democratic voter wants nice speeches and decorum. The core GOP voter wants to stomp on your corpse until dollars fly out of it. The Democratic party is ineffective and weak because, by and large, core Democratic voters either don't actually understand how politics work or don't prize power. Either option is contemptible.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kobayashi posted:

I’m not gonna argue that the every Democratic voter is ready for the DSA, but I’d argue most of the blame lies with the party, which is so thoroughly contemptible as to be written off completely. There’s just such a dearth of talent at every level that we’re effectively starting a party from scratch. That poo poo’s hard, and unfortunate it looks like there’s a very real chance it’s too late. On the other hand, Bernie got a lot closer to breaking through than I would have expected, so that’s something. But yeah, decorum fetishists are the worst.

Politely disagree, allow me to expound:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-democrats-and-republicans-did-a-sudden-180-on-the-fbi/

Almost 70% of Democrats are now favorable on the FBI, rating the agency as "Excellent" or "Good". You see this again and again with Dems, somebody with a terrible history says a few pretty words and they're welcomed into the #Resistance or whatever the flavor of the minute Dem social club is.

See, the Dem party apparatus being contemptible doesn't explain this at all, it doesn't explain George W Bush's rehabilitation, it doesn't explain the near-universal 95% approval of Obama, a weak loser who presided over the collapse of the Party and, when he wasn't pushing center right-wing legislation, was getting absolutely trolled and rolled by the right-wing. The only explanation is that Dems want pretty words over results.

We're over a year out from 2016 and the party has simply not adapted fast enough and the Dem voters have not actually reflected on, and re-framed, their lack of values or their understanding of politics. This is not entirely their fault but nonetheless it needed to happen and it didn't. So now we're hosed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Crowsbeak posted:

Also something like 87 percent back Bernie.

This is one of the sole bright spots of Dem voters right now. At least they don't hate the alternative.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but the Dem party has been utterly co-opted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lobbyists-democrats-retreat_us_5a7dfbc1e4b08dfc93040362

My fear is that the party can get back Congress and the Presidency by 2020, but not possess the will and ideology to make the necessary change, and the compounding economic and ecological catastrophes will sweep fascism into office permanently by 2028.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 12, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pod Save America is not left. They're salesmen for Obama.

Michael Brooks Show is decent and I like it.

Katie Halper Show.

Street Fight Radio if you want a couple of good natured midwestern Anarchist Dads pissed about stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Motto posted:

Citations Needed is a good podcast that's mostly news/politics talk rather than Twitter drama and irony humor.

Yeah this was a huge blunder on my part. I would say that Citations Needed is the best left podcast in terms of pure analysis. It's top tier and if you gotta pick one, pick this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lowtax got on Struggle Session, which is like Chapo's nerdier, more media-obsessed little brother, and immediately said the n-word like 4 minutes in. It was Not Good.

• Locked thread