Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Single payer is a bad idea because people will wrongly believe that Insurance Companies were murdered by the government.

We need a Public Option, so then we can watch them wither and die slowly and with great anguish, collapsing under their own weight as their captives flee their crumbling hulking mass to the shining beacon of Freely Purchasable Medicare.

Only then will the insurance companies be destroyed forever, in both the flesh and the soul, as they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/913224469019205632
Basically passing the buck off onto the senate but goddamn how much of an asslicking dog do you have to be to continue on with this farce.

I think the leadership he is referring to is Trump's ability to steer the media narrative away from the horrible and unpopular poo poo that his insane ideology requires he force through into law.

He'll pass a huge giveaway to the rich that explodes the deficit before anyone notices because Trump called for firebombing of mosques or something.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If they get rid of the mortgage deduction home prices are going to crater.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Remember that Joe The Pumber is only famous because he aggressively didn't understand marginal tax rates, even after Candidate Obama patiently explained it to him.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So is it legal to discriminate against people because of their politics? I think blue America should secede from red America and their Trump cult.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

RuanGacho posted:

I think the FAKE NEWS Media should collude and flip the map colors just to gently caress with people.

I read something once that red=repub and blue=dem came entirely from the 2000 election. Before that it was more random and had all sorts of colors, but the constant months of coverage after Bush 2 stole the election cemented it as a norm.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm a physicist and I constantly tell everyone that if you're doing physics for any reason other than love of knowledge then you're going to hate it. The hours are long, the work can be tedious, the pay is bad, there is almost no job security, and in the end no one cares about your results.

Plus you'll constantly get idiots who watched Cosmos telling you their stupid ideas and getting mad when you try to explain why their groundbreaking epiphany is garbage.

On the plus side I know a lot about everything and feel sort of like I'm helping explore the universe and all its intricacies.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Right wing wackos are super sensitive on twitter. I called one an idiot and twitter banned me.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Are politicians lazy? Like, are they unable or unwilling to find people they trust to quickly make new policies? Obama did it. The ACA is a complicated mess but it is SUPER thorough. Why can't democrats parade bills around and have the supposedly sympathetic media publish them? If they get a bill polling at 70% that has obvious room to compromise, that would pull the narrative. Why aren't they doing that?

Besides the litany of problems facing America.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

Like abortion and other wedge issues, it's better to keep it in play and do nothing aside from some cosmetic changes. That way it will keep your base engaged and enraged.

For republicans sure. Their base is literally the stupidest most willfully ignorant people in history. But the dems are LOSING. When they don't get poo poo done people do not vote for them. The fact that people are enraged doesn't translate to votes unless something is done.

They should be doing things more.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think the discussion on gun control after this most recent shooting should be a maximum quantity that you can own/possess at once. It would have stopped this shooting, it would be relatively enforceable (though you need a national registry to prevent purchases over the limit), and it is "common sense." No one needs 33 high powered rifles. Accumulating many of anything is hoarding, and hoarding is a recognized mental illness.

It has the benefit of shifting the conversation to quantity and minutia (what about people who already own more? What about inheritances?) but is very clear that people should be allowed to own some guns.

This bump stock thing is just total bullshit.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

I think number limits would be fine too, on either arms or ammo

Even just on a store by store basis. Like one gun per store per year. Imagine the Vegas shooter going to 33 different stores to buy all those guns and filing new paperwork at each one. It would have stopped him, or at least significantly decreased the number of weapons he had.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The best part of the argument for quantity limits is that you can point to the military or police. They both only have one, maybe also a side arm. Any argument against that is tacitly admitting you either do not plan to use them responsibly, or you are an insane hoarder.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

im not sure you could find a better example of white privilege.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There was a video posted here maybe a month or two ago showing some open carry fanatics walking into a police station wearing balaclavas and carrying assault rifles. This one is pretty egregious, but that one set the standard for me.

Didn't they get a bunch of police guns pointed at them first? But yeah, they walked right on out of there.

https://twitter.com/illegalhex/status/917504192985608195

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

obama's pretending he had no idea that weinstein was a rapist

Why would he have known though?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Why would Obama, who moved from Hawaii to the east coast to Chicago while being a constitutional scholar and community organizer, be running in the same circles as LA movie moguls?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Like, this doesn't mention Obama at all. Why are you so sure he knew?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Are you saying that as a presidential candidate and later as the POTUS, Obama made no links with moguls in all sorts of industries, including entertainment? His history prior to that seems pretty irrelevant.

Him meeting people once (not that I can find an account of that happening outside some big gathering) doesn't mean he "ran in the same circles". He didn't run in the same circles as doctors or surgeons but I'm sure he met a bunch of them. Or auto union workers. He doesn't know everyone.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"These crimes were super out in the open and stupidly obvious"
-the guy who found out with everyone else a week ago.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think you guys better post some links because so far all I've seen is arrogant hand waving and one link that is at best irrelevant and at worst exculpatory.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Weinstein in particular was a regular at Democratic events, and maintained correspondence with Democratic leadership, going as far as to suggest strategic moves during the 2015-6 primaries and election. Leaving Obama, somebody in the party hosed up for not examining their pretty intimate ties to him.

I am not a loving dignitary who keeps in touch with important people.

I guess you think that in the Jimmy Saville case everybody around him was squeaky clean as well, and all the stories of people covering up for him and suspecting him all along were made up?

Jimmy Saville, a guy you learned about from John Oliver three days ago.

You're right, you aren't a dignitary who meets ten thousand enormously powerful people a year, so you have no idea what you're talking about.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

You are a loving idiot.

*agressive hand waving intensifies*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

I like the implication in your previous post that you are an important Hollywood bigshot who totally knows how everything works.

If anything I suggested that I am a powerful political dignitary, but I don't need to be one to know you aren't either. You're the one confidently saying you know what it is like and how everyone had to know everything.

Weinstein is bad yeah we agree there, but you're really cocksure that somehow everyone in the Democratic Party knew about it which is dumb.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

You realize there's a huge gulf between what's expected from the potus and what's expected from random joe off the street right? It is very much obama's job to be vetting people he's forming relationships with during the run up to and duration of his presidency.

Saying that Obama had a relationship to a guy throwing money at him is a big stretch. Hillary too, her antisocial calculated political approach to everything doesn't really lead me to believe she was going to him for advice, or even listening to him while he yammered at her between check signings. I'm sure Obama DID try to vet the pervert too, he let his daughter intern with him (also still the only connection anyone has drawn beyond contributions and conjecture) but do you think anyone who knew and was keeping quiet was going to tell the President of the United States?

I agree Weinstein is bad. I agree that everyone needs to be aware of and speak forcefully and quickly against people abusing power especially for sex, but saying that the DNC of all entities should have known or meticulously vetted him, one of thousands of donors, is a bizarre, nearly impossible standard.

Once they found out they immediately denounced him. That is good and right. However you still want to talk about the insanely high bar of conduct and omnipotence that is expected of the President when Donald loving Trump is in office? He is an accused rapist, an admitted serial sexual abuser, and he wants to gently caress his daughter. The dumbass wouldn't know if he took money from Hitler himself, mustache and all, and he most certainly would not care. But yeah it's the democrats who need to have a hard look at themselves and fix long standing societal problems.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 11, 2017

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Why are you lying about the extent of involvement of this guy with your party? If he was such a nobody, why did Democrats feel compelled to issue official statements about him? Weird.

Lol. Yeah I have no idea why they would condem him. I can't think of any reasons. Except that they KNEW. case closed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

The GOP operates on some different plane of existence?

Yes. Clearly. It is why you are attacking only democrats.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Condiv posted:

that doesn't make the GOP his friend tho. you could just as validly say the enemy of his enemy is the democrats

Wait. Who is his enemy then?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah the two largest North Bay fires are less than 5% contained and the winds are supposed to continue for another few days I think.

Bad year for natural disasters.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dead Reckoning posted:

Drones. But if you have DocWagon Platinum, a team of mercenaries will drop in from your skylight and do it.

If you can generate the political will or sorcerous power to expropriate money from foreign countries' banks and distribute it according to your whims, I'm disappointed by your lack of imagination that you confined your solutions to "give rich people money to poor people."

You make a 90% top marginal tax rate for incomes over $2M. Paying executives more than that then becomes infeasible. That’s something with historical precedent and solves inequality issues as time goes on.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Best case he will get rid of their common carrier status but with a year long "phase out" period so maybe everyone forgets. Alternately so the 2018 elections sort of seal the coffin on the topic if Ds lose / Give him a platform to be loudly idealistic with no consequences if Ds win.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

tsa posted:

It's honestly weird how differently people here approach islamic terrorism and nazis given the vast amount of similarities and the slim amount of differences. Actually I'm not sure there are even meaningful differences between the groups.

The hottest take.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
We should really be talking about taxes because Republicans are about to set the stage for dismantling the federal government entirely.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cerebral Bore posted:

Love to see a political system so dysfunctional that the main thing hampering the death cultists is their own true believer fanatics.

The best part is that they don’t seem to realize that their end goal of “no taxes on anyone” is not feasible due to Senate reconciliation rules about long term deficits. So when the Senate gives them a bill that cuts taxes as much as possible, and probably a little more than is allowed, they still vote no because it isn’t ALL the taxes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Uglycat posted:

https://imgur.com/a/PmSXl

What'd'ya make of these numbers?

Edit: spent an extra second on it. A spike in some radiation metric? Dunno, that’s some choppy data. Maybe that elevated rate from last week in Europe making its way over here?

Doesn’t matter either way, it isn’t far outside the standard deviation and already decreased.

Also note that the mean value of one is the peak value of the other, so it really isn’t a worrying amount of whatever it is.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 1, 2017

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Before you write off Jones from the Emerson and JMC polls you really should look at their methodology and cross tabs which are both really bad and probably not predictive of the upcoming election.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The Hawaii democratic “primary” was a mismanaged debacle. You voted on just a photocopied piece of paper with two boxes that you put an X in and the polls were open for all of like 2 hours. A bunch of polling places never even opened. Bernie won like 80 to 20 but probably would have won by more if they actually tried to have a real election.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

exploded mummy posted:

Hawaii was a caucus, not a primary.

Hawaii does not have caucuses. There is a preference poll, which is what I’m referring to, and then a real state sponsored primary that takes place after the convention.

It is astoundingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A random six year old was killed in Texas by police. Merry Christmas!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/six-year-old-shot-dead-accident-texas-kameron-prescott-a8127551.html

• Locked thread