Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I am in a Microeconomics class right now where the teacher is a big free market person, to the point where at the end of one class we watched a video of Milton Friedman answering a college student's question to him as only a smug libertarian economist can, and we've had multiple moments where someone will ask her a question about the free market that leads to a conversation that concludes with someone just saying "oh well I disagree with that" which is the nice, non-grade-affecting way to say "oh that's real dumb".

I genuinely have faith that the millennial generation will push the government harder to the left than anyone since FDR because of things like that, but first we have to remove from power anyone old enough to have voted for Ronald Reagan (especially if they actually voted for Ronald Reagan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

As always, Chuck Grassley eschews all of that blustery double talk and just says what he means:

quote:

Let me give you a political answer, and then I’ll give you a substance answer.

The political answer is that Republicans have promised for seven years that we were going to correct all the things that were wrong with Obamacare, and we failed the first eight months. This is the last attempt to do what we promised in the election.

The substance answer is that Obamacare starts with the principle that all knowledge about health care, and all decisions on health care, ought to rest in Washington, DC. The complete opposite of that is Graham-Cassidy, that Washington doesn’t know best and we’ll let each of the 50 states [decide what’s best].

"Well, we promised to do it for 8 years, and also states are better at things than the federal government". Never mind that the former is a terrible reason to do anything and the latter is definitely not true if your goal is to have people covered (see: number of states that rejected the medicaid expansion).

Also, Johnny Isakson (R-GA) on learning how cause and effect works: "I'm from a state that didn't expand Medicaid, and the way we were going in health care looked like those states would actually be hurt worse than other states."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Power Walrus posted:

Wouldn't leaving it entirely up to the states facilitate a massive brain drain into the few states that actually set something decent up? Or, is that the point? Why??

that's probably tempered by the fact that the states most likely to set something up are gonna be losing the most federal money.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shout it from the mountaintops with me, D&D:

CRIME IS DECLINING AND HAS BEEN FOR YEARS YOU STUPID gently caress

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

tekz posted:

Watching this healthcare debate. Amy Klobuchar is Democrat as hell and keeps parroting right wing poo poo like 'tax credits for small businesses' while carefully avoiding stumping for medicare for all.

she's pushing for a public option though, which is probably the best short term goal for healthcare

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

tekz posted:

What does 'public option' entail?

allowing people to buy into (medicare/medicaid depending on bill). it's not single payer but it's definitely the first step on the way there.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

tekz posted:

Why does getting to single payer involve this step instead of just pushing for single payer in the first place ? Not trying to be abrasive or challenging you btw, I'm just trying to understand the rationale - especially since all of this is theoretical anyway with Republicans controlling all three branches of government.

because the political makeup of the country would probably not accept a complete overhaul of the healthcare system that quickly. you would need to gradually make the idea of single payer more acceptable in public discourse. remember: most of the countries who have single payer (esp) in europe did so either at the beginning of their government or after near-total destruction because of WWII.

also there's something to do with american individualism that needs to be adjusted in the average american's political mindset.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Grammarchist posted:

Not endorsing the viewpoint, but one mark about why single payer was executed in some countries instead of others lies in the fact that most single-payer systems have simple institutional inertia working in their favor. All the "shock" died out a long time ago, and health-care was more primitive in general at the time of creation anyway. The US flirted with making that transition, but always had some other issue take precedence. Over time, our system evolved around the private entities with a few public-sector systems added under particularly successful Democrats able to scrape compromises together.

It's also worth noting that UHC doesn't have to mean single payer. The German and Swiss systems might be a less disruptive, and therefore more politically tenable, goal toward achieving the goals of the left.

Jacobin had an ok overview of the history of America's healthcare system a while back.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/07/trumpcare-obamacare-us-health-care

I actually really like the French system as a goal for the US, even though it's super gauche to support a UHC plan that's not single-payer right now. i imagine if we ever actually got to a point where we were deciding which UHC plan we want in the US we'd have more indepth questions about which way we wanted to go.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

[quote="“GreyjoyBastard”" post="“476901427”"]
Why?

Honest question. I am unaware of any discernable political positions or philosophies she holds (which doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t exist).
[/quote]

After 4 years of Trump, a black woman who worked her worked her way up to the top from the very bottom who is capable of empathy is about as opposite as we can get.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Kanye is a sad case of a clearly mentally ill man not getting the treatment he desperately needs.

I mean, he went and got treatment and has been laying low for like, a solid 9 months now. Mental illness + tour stress + wife being violently robbed in another country = breakdown, but that would make most people break down, honestly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spacebump posted:

A man brought a Soviet Flag to a Confederate protest in Shreveport, LA. It's funnier than you think.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/videos/news/2017/09/30/why-soviet-union-flag-confederate-rally/106163228/

this is hilarious. The matter of fact way he says "that was a failed state. this was a failed state. they were both failed states" is great.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Office Pig posted:

The headline of that article is insanely bad in the sense that it already makes immediately obvious the knavery of this vote, but leaves it somewhat unfulfilled. Here, let me flesh it out:

i had a friend post an article with the same basic content, but the headline was "TRUMP VOTES FOR DEATH PENALTY FOR GAYS" which is hilarious in how much it distorts the actual news. like, the thing was bad enough as it was, don't exaggerate to something that's not really true just because it sounds bad. That's how you get poo poo like "OBAMA WANTS TO TAKE OUR GUNS".

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Long thread but holy poo poo this is depressing to think about :

https://twitter.com/aslavitt/status/916069859066286081

Oh this is fine. Actively sabotaging the US healthcare system to ruin it and make it look bad without actually passing their healthcare bill. I'm sure nothing bad will come of that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Koalas March posted:

What's wrong with Donna Brazile? I honestly have no idea. I only know her really from watching AM Joy.

bernie people do not like her because she allegedly gave hillary clinton access to debate questions before a primary debate.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rockopolis posted:

Chipotle needs to retaliate somehow. Not really sure how, though - throw rotten veggie or something at them?

At the very least there's got to be some kind of :iceburn: on Twitter they can do.

They probably still have some of that diseased food from a few years ago sitting around, right?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Koalas March posted:

Catching up on the news I've missed while I've been unwell and.. ugh. loving Rahm.

Chance is awesome and should challenge Rahm to a rap battle for the soul and mayorship of Chicago.

or, you know, someone could just throw Rahm out a window or something

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

icantfindaname posted:

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that the entire thrust of the anti-left argument, built over years, has been that it's all straight white men, and yet Obama's inner circle of advisors, at least the ones employed by this dude's podcast empire, are apparently 100% white dudebros?

I'd hardly call a couple of speechwriters and a spokesman an "inner circle of advisors". Like, if you really want his actual inner circle it would be like, Valerie Jarrett, Axelrod, his wife, and Biden.

Plus, you can tell these guys actually take that criticism to heart because the people they've brought on since they founded Crooked have been a lot more diverse. only about half of their shows are hosted by white guys (PSA, PStW, Lovett, and Majority54), the other half are hosted by Deray, Ira Madison, and Ana Marie Cox, with the last one being a rotating conversation between different people each week. Plus their network of contributors only has two white guys, Ben Rhodes and a token anti-Trump Republican.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

EugeneDebsWasCool posted:

gently caress off.

I personally want these guys dead. They’ve never shown remorse nor asked for forgiveness. One of them killed a fellow prisoner. My wanting them dead for the pain they have caused my family is vengeance. That’s not a healthy impulse but it’s how I feel. I’m not getting that vengeance and I don’t think my desire for vengeance should have any say in the law.

I’m against the death penalty and life sentences and believe that anyone can potentially be rehabilitated. So I support even these assholes having the chance to rehabilitate and atone. Doesn’t mean I want them out tomorrow.

You should read the article this poster linked to:

it has a quote you might find interesting:

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.”

it was said by someone you think is pretty cool.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

honestly, if Chelsea came out and said that she was being social with some nazis because she thought that by spending time with them it may humanize trans people to their nazi fanbase, I'd buy that.

I don't agree with the logic there, but it's probably better than "oh no i'm a DL nazi"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"we should consider maybe putting our support of a Isreal at a more reasonable level."

"I agree. Further more, all jews are bad and want to kill christians. They killed Jesus you know. and now they have control over the world's banks and media"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I know this is not a debate but boy howdy i need to debate you people

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

whoops, wrong topic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

edit gently caress

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I like Yglasias and The Weeds crew generally but he does have a moment here and there where his technocrat-y nature really shows up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i'm sorry i can't get over the fact that this "progressive" talking about a "blue wave" voted for Trump. and his reason wasn't "i was a loving idiot a year ago but I learned what was wrong with my vote and am now a staunch progressive" but was "well how was I to know that he was a liar and a dummy? not my fault, he sounded so relatable and sincere on the trail"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Kilroy posted:

This is an awfully charitable interpretation of the statement.

if it were not Chuck Schumer saying it i might be willing to believe it, but Chuck Schumer over the course of his political career has made it so incredibly clear where he stands in this discussion that it's hard to be that charitable. He would never explicitly praise Israeli genocide of Palestinians but he would not be particularly saddened if all the Palestinians just disappeared one day and the argument was over and Israel was an explicitly Jewish state.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i just picked up a really good book about the history of labor in America, A History of America in Ten Strikes. It's not super in depth but gives a good broad strokes history of the labor movement if you, like me, know little to nothing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Office Pig posted:

'White supremacist murder spree' is effectively uspolitics.txt.

It was actually the name that lost to “United States of America” back in 1776. Would you believe that they thought it might not be relevant 250 years later? They were so optimistic.

• Locked thread