Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Here's some other good comics:

Al Rashad: A fantasy comic set in the Arabian-inspired city of Al Rashad.
BEARMAGEDDON by Ethan Nicolle. A man versus nature story, and nature's winning.
The Draw Play by Fabreeze: A Goon-made gag-a-day comic centered around the never-ending shenanigans of the National Football League. Also serves as the archive for Toaster Beef's Too Much Mustard, a similarly themed comic with simple art but some incredible gags.
Eagle Ordinary: A comic set in the 40K universe based off of a campaign from the Only War RPG.
FALSE POSITIVE: A series of horror shorts with both sci-fi and supernatural themes.
The Last Halloween by Abby Howard: A little girl, Mona, discovers that monsters are real. Also, humanity is probably doomed.
Mare Internum by Der-Shing Helmer: A pair of astronauts on a long-term Mars expedition are trapped in the strange world beneath the surface of the red planet.
Scurry by Mac Smith: A comic about a colony of mice trying to survive after the human society they depended on disappeared.

here's more good or otherwise interesting comics that I got too lazy to write descriptions for:

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things
Awful Hospital
Skin Deep
SKULLKICKERS
Sakana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I just have a list of bookmarks, sorted by what day a comic is updated.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Unlucky7 posted:

For a feel good comic, read Zen Pencils! A comic about chasing your dreams*!

* Unless your dreams involves success or financial independence, then you are anti art and can gently caress off

RIP drilpencils

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Penny Arcade's art probably peaked around 2008-9 or so and now it's just... weird.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So for the hell of it, I decided to take six-month snapshots to look at the art evolution, and I made a couple observations:

1. Holy poo poo, I can't believe I actually used to like PA in middle school and high school. Like, there's some good strips in there, but a lot of them... yikes

2. This explains a lot about the cesspit that is gaming culture

3. Holy poo poo, I can't believe PA has been around for nearly twenty years

November 1998:

May/November 1999:

May/November 2000:

May/November 2001:

May/November 2002:

May/November 2003:

May/November 2004

May/November 2005

May/November 2006

May/November 2007

May/November 2008

May/November 2009

May/November 2010

May/November 2011

May/November 2012

May/November 2013

May/November 2014

May/November 2015

May/November 2016

May/October 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So apparently Chris Hastings of Dr. McNinja fame has started a Patreon for a bunch of comic series he's started posting on twitter:

Monday: Magical Merlin - "Kooky wizard shenanigans"

https://twitter.com/hastingsfunnies/status/912358869883596801

Tuesday: Queen of Clubs - "James Bond with a dash of Mary Worth"

https://twitter.com/hastingsfunnies/status/918221495305981952

Wednesday: Asimov's Laws - "Robots and murder!"

https://twitter.com/hastingsfunnies/status/912868313327456257

Thursday: Karate Sewer Gator - "Dumb dumb dumb"

https://twitter.com/hastingsfunnies/status/921080335538053121

Friday: Woodsman! - "Mark Trail + Predator"

https://twitter.com/hastingsfunnies/status/913599988453789696

Suffice it to say, I was a big fan of Dr. McNinja so I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes these.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm really happy to learn he's making comics that I can go read now, but Twitter is the worst possible place to post comics. When I click to focus on an image it usually gets smaller.

Good news!

https://twitter.com/drhastings/status/921454819914678273

(Though unfortunately Tumblr is also terrible for comics)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/638732653844393984

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

god I love Paranatural

SD's pretty good too, I binged it a month or two ago and I'm definitely enjoying it. It is a shame though that Tessa shows up so rarely though, you'd think she'd have a bigger role to play in unraveling the ongoing mystery.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PetraCore posted:

Right? It's not just the art, either, Dan's improved drastically as a writer. I have a really soft spot for it because I feel like it grew with me as a reader.

I'll admit to having read EGS back when I was in middle school and high school, but I fell off a loooooong while back. It is wild though looking back on what the comic used to be in the early days, what it evolved into as I was reading it regularly, and what it appears to be now. I've actually thought about doing a re-read to catch up, but unfortunately I straight-up do not have the focus or ability to overlook the early bad art and writing to do that kind of archive binge anymore :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gripweed posted:

Powerup Comics is the only good gaming webcomic

Awkward Zombie is both Cool and Good :colbert:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/SleeplessDomain/status/1276494413506711558?s=20

cassidy is having what we call in the business "a bad time"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My suspicion at this point is that she'll live, badly scarred, blame Undine for the entire incident and then become an antagonist

or she'll die, but live long enough to name drop Undine as the person who caused this to whoever finds her.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Whoever recommended The Sword Interval over in the GC thread, I fuckin' hate you because I'd forgotten how good it is and now I have to wait for updates like the rest of you jerks :argh:

In other news, a comic that I've been enjoying the past while is Lil' Char and the Gang. There's not a whole lot to it—it's kids who happen to be pokemon having pokemon-themed kid adventures—but it's pretty darn charming and enjoyable. Plus it's got some good gags.

Anyway, I think it's pretty charming and funny, so figured I'd share it!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fun hater posted:

im glad mine made ppl laugh today lol. i was going to do a big "please read my comic" post here once this chapter was done.

anyway read bybloemen, a comic about two devils getting into the danish tulip mania market of ye olden days and causing problems for everyone. my favorite genre of comic.

upon inspection this comic appears to be Extremely Rad, thanks for recommending it! (Yours is pretty good too! I really need to catch up).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

flatluigi posted:

this is a hell of a comic and the most recent page is one of the most terrifying things i've ever seen in a webcomic

Just binged through it, confirmed for v. good

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It was by no means the "greatest" comic, but I still have a soft spot for Dr. McNinja. I still miss that extremely silly and overly dramatic nonsense.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
god I forgot how much this dumb comic rules

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

GlyphGryph posted:

I did a comic (with my girlfriend):

https://imgur.com/gallery/05l48gu

It's probably not great but it was fun!

I liked it!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FunkyAl posted:

Life can be painful, art can be a good way to cope with it. Art is not the root of the pain, except in the case of the three stooges.

Wise guy, eh?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dawgstar posted:

It's a fun little comic that doesn't update nearly as often as I'd like (or as the author does, I'm sure).

Just burned through it, seems interesting! Shame that it apparently updates so slowly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
uuuuhhh

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:psyduck: people have been living in cities for over ten thousand years, what the gently caress

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fun hater posted:

you don't really retire from cartooning across any medium unless you're one of the lucky ones lol

Hell, Al Jaffee only retired last year and he is literally one hundred years old.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
oglaf is a treasure

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For me, the top moment of Dr. McNinja was when McNinja called down Dracula's moon laser to free the ultimate diplomat and bring peace to humans and dinosaurs in the future.

"They don't usually like the laser"

e: which of course was immediately preceded by Chuck Goodrich sacrificing himself so that the Nasaghast would finally destroy the Horrorsaurus, saving the last of the giant lumberjacks to turn the tide in the battle between humans and dinosaurs.

god I loved that comic

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 2, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Count me as another person who came from Problem Sleuth. I loved all the wacky riffs on video game mechanics and nonsensical jokes, and spent a lot of time in high school refreshing computers in the school library for updates. Initially, I was really drawn into the mystery of Sburb and the post-apoctalypic characters, but the introduction of the trolls as full fledged characters just killed it for me - I hated the l33tsp34k gimmicks and didn't find them funny or interesting. So after I missed a day or two of updates, I just didn't have the motivation anymore to continue.

Oh well, at least I still have the original version of Mutiny saved somewhere.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, I thought Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff was just a one-off joke in Homestuck -- it was an actual thing?

There was a whole physical book! The barcode scanned as a bag of Doritos.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think he's not anymore? I checked the site and the patreon and twitter links to the NFSW stuff are all gone, as is the NFSW patreon account itself. There's also a post up on the regular patreon that says the comic is ending.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think it is fair to say that Gunnerkrigg is not what it once was, and arguably hasn't been since Jeane was resolved. There's been a bunch of plot threads and ongoing mysteries that have been resolved what I found to be pretty unsatisfactory ways (Annie's dad issues, the tic-toc birds, the two Annies, etc.) and there's been a seeming lack of direction in where the plot is going, with many updates happening in giant lore dumps from characters I don't care about.

Like, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't feel anywhere near the same excitement to see what each new page would bring that I did a decade ago. Alas!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I would like to point out that I was someone who liked Tony's character and was infuriated at how that arc ended. Through the comic, Tony was shown as someone who was deeply regretful over his prior actions, recognized that his wife was dead and his child needed a father, but couldn't progress past his mental block. There were plenty of interesting places this could have gone: Maybe Tony finds a way to overcome his issues, or at least have some kind of heart-to-heart with Annie. Maybe she finally decides she's done with his poo poo and finally severs his relationship with him, to which he could have reacted in a number of interesting and compelling ways. Maybe we could find out why the hell he's like this, or some more insights into his relationship with Surma!

but nope, we just get a big, long, meandering chapter where a bunch of tertiary characters talk about how tony's kind of poo poo, tony saying "yeah I'm kinda a poo poo, I hate it," and ends with annie saying "yeah he's kinda a poo poo but I love him anyway." It is the most boring, blandest possible way to end a long-running character arc I have ever seen, didn't resolve anything and was just immensely unsatisfying. just objectively really bad storytelling.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this discussion has convinced me to never read Gunnerkrigg, but also to be afraid of YA fiction at large

Everything before the Jeanne plot is resolved is great, which honestly makes everything that came after so much more disappointing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Make mentioning gunnerkrigg bannable pls, you can save a life today by forcing these dudes to touch grass

I am quite capable of touching grass and complaining about Gunnerkrigg, thank you :colbert:

View is from Big Baldy ridge in King's Canyon National Park, from a hike I was on literally this morning.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 27, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Oxxidation posted:

Vattu, a summary:

"How I Destroyed Imperialism with the Power of Friendship" by Vattu
Part 1: learning you can't destroy imperialism with the power of friendship
Part 2: The Power of Incredible Violence

well the friendship did help

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Catching up with Evan Dahm's new comic, 3rd Voice, really digging it so far. I'm always a sucker for post-apoc stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Catching up with Evan Dahm's new comic, 3rd Voice, really digging it so far. I'm always a sucker for post-apoc stuff.

It's been many moons since my last post but I would like to say that 3rd Voice is Very Good, highly recommend.