Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

His thing is that he can hear through pretty much anything he's touched, right? I'm mostly just wondering at this point if it's possible to overwhelm that with sheer noise. Get as many Chicadino-watched people and things together in one place and just blast some noise and see if Al Chirpone clutches his head, or maybe try to funnel as much noise through one person to act as white noise covering up someone else's conversation.

He's been doing this sicne he was a kid, where he could handle 10 no problem, so at this point he's probably really good at juggling conversations & able to tune them in/out with ease. Like this panel shows at least 14 conversations going on and he's able to tune out and only react to a relevant one that crosses his mind https://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-7-page-46/
The coin that dropped in the sewer was going 24/7 for years and if that didn't drown out everything else constantly nothing else would.

I think the only thing that could throw him off at this point is probably the same thing that threw off Petunia's mother: a direct track into a horrifying mind that overwrites everything else to painful results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeahhhhh it's been hard to find anything

I kind of cooled on Monster Pulse, so I put it on my list of things to come back to when it was done or near finished to get a better read of the whole thing.

I have seen Namesake talked about before, so I might have to try it out. I already read Sleepless Domain, but I have been meaning to catch up on Kiwi Blitz, too. I remember reading part of UnDivine at some point and not revisiting it, but I can't remember why. Maybe there were only a few pages back then and they didn't hook me? I might have to try it again.

I'm already invested in All Night Laundry and I'm not sure I have the energy to keep up with more than one interactive webcomic now :ohdear:

I did read your comic! And then I fell off at one point and I don't remember why. I'm going to blame moving computers and losing my bookmarks.

Monster Pulse is, I think, in its final year for what' it's worth.
It did move to a 2 week schedule though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kelly Turnbull had a short thread about MGDMT and some of the related things going on

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1067568099908476929

it's kind of rough in spots

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I continue to keep forgetting that Back exists. It's not bad, it just updates so slowly that it falls of my radar and then I check on it again and it's updated like twice in the past year.

Like Lackadaisy, except without the excuse of Tracy Butler being a goddess of perfectionism.

Back has been updating weekly for a while now

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, Mare Internum just ended. I really enjoyed it, very much worth a read, and you can probably go through it in an afternoon if you haven't read it before. A great sci-fi exploration of the reality of mental health issues.

Thoughts/questions: Whose hand was Michael gripping in this memory? Was there someone else he was close to on the mission? I was under the impression Levi was the only one he really connected with.

And on the last panel - I guess it's open to interpretation, but I wonder if Kalla/The Processor has died, or if it's part of Michael now?

This is a pro click, I liked it a lot. Just the right length too. I'd have liked one laaaast touch base with bex (& levi?) at the end, maybe just as simple as seeing her in one of the suits,but otherwise it was great

as for your question
There was a flashback much earlier with him on a fishing trip with someone, purposely kept just out of frame on any close ups, but alone with him while making Levi https://www.marecomic.com/comic/ch3-page-35/
Might've been that person, if we want to take the "memory" part as literal as possible.

I could also see it just be a memory of a dream, that relates back to what the whole ship thing is calling back to https://www.marecomic.com/comic/ch3-page-48/

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Haha, welp, that's where I expected things to go in Monster Pulse, but it still sucks.

I am so ready for whatever nonsense mad science they decide to pull out of this situation. Going to be absurd, I can not wait

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I have a feeling it will be tied to or will be the key to defeating whatever purestrain monstrosity Lulenski turned herself into by merging with Roger's ghost and Rjinder's skin. God I can't wait for the proper reveal of that horror show.

I wonder if he's going to merge ayo & bina together somehow and that'll kickstart things. Follow throw on how mouth girl was literally fusing with her monster from their attempts to put the machine back together

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

rannum posted:

I wonder if he's going to merge ayo & bina together somehow and that'll kickstart things. Follow throw on how mouth girl was literally fusing with her monster from their attempts to put the machine back together

it's happening :unsmigghh:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

New Sleepless Domain is cool, looks like Zoe is going to probably join the training group and we get to see what Cassidy's powers are soon.

Really hoping this all breaks down to the training group becoming an actual team, that would seriously kick rear end.

I'm interested in Gabby being uneasy around Who I think is meant to be Bud, judging by her ending the conversation when Undine thought she meant Cassidy

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I'm guessing she's talking about Kokoro, given her only other speaking appearance. You're definitely right she doesn't mean Cassidy though.

Although come to think of it, she could also mean Vedika. Mind control powers and all that.

I want to say it's Bud because she's always jokey (so there'd be an irony to her being off putting), has her fingers in all the gossip, and Gabby's first panel in the latest comic is framed around the conversation about Bud training with someone else. Then Gabby approaches as Bud leaves the room
Also just noticed Gabby's introduction panel staring at the in-frame Bud as she's doing her jokey skulking from the previous page. COINCIDENCE??

I guess Kokoro could work too, but that seems weirder since we actually know a lot more personal things about Kokoro so throwing suspicion on her now seems a little odd.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

couple other Training Group things to keep in mind:
- http://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-8-page-17 unknown person spying on Kokoro & Undine. Maybe Gabby, if we want to entertain the Kokoro theory? Bud? Cassidy? Someone else entirely?
- http://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-11-page-20 things "get weird" when Vedika touches another person. Probably unrelated to current going ons but something to put in the back pocket

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

I'm almost certain the person spying on Kokoro and Udine is Zoe trying to figure out how to fight.

Zoe's costume is very different in design http://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-13-page-13

Different boots, different dress, sleeves, etc

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Archenteron posted:

So Morbi has collated most of their Woah Poppy spoilers they've doled out over the past months through twitter here

Two not obvious things I've seen regarding Poda

Poda miiiiight be able to just turn people into dragons somehow based on this tweet

Also (this tweet reply isnt in the Moment) she's a few more steps ahead of Chicadino than we knew

This is all really cool and gotta say was not expecting us to be nearing the end of "part 1" of like...3+

Really shot past the Moon and into Pluto with this comic

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Didn't Morbi say a few times that she actually hated making comics and just saw it as means of telling the story to put up with it

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

Sleepless Domain updated and it looks like the girl that was spying on Kokoro and Udine way back when Udine first joined the club was Cassidy. Guess Gabby was talking about her after all.

guess sometimes things are pretty straightforward

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I see Cagle is continuing her observed tendency for scissors weilders to be kind of hosed up

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I suppose the optimistic take is she used her scissors on other things, saw she could split them in 2 sometimes and well one things leads to another.

Still very offputting though. No wonder Gabby's creeped out

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Not only that, it resulted in Jones getting shot in her already wounded arm, in the EXACT SAME SPOT she got stabbed in. That is the perfect level of insult to injury that a person like Celeste Jones deserves :discourse:

you love to see it happen

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

In the Monster Pulse death watch we've reached the point of ether understanding or all hell breaking loose.

i love how blunt ayo is in her hate of ayo in comparison to Bina who does feel a kind of guilt about the feelings

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Does Undine know if Goops is special or important and not just a particularly deadly monster?

She has strong theories that there is something special and different about Goo yes

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't get the feeling that ordinary monsters are recurring. Each night has different themes and shapes for the monsters.

Also they dont talk and this one has what seems to be specific vendettas
There are a lot of valid reasons to think for her to think this is weird and personal, especially since Undine isn't aware of Goop interacting with Rue and possibly other girls. Especially when Kokoro went from knowing nothing to getting calls after Undine told her about it.
Kokoro never heard anything and its possible most girls haven't and the ones who did probably died or didnt even notice. Rue only noticed the goop hand by happenstance, even

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Either she thinks Undine was responsible for Team Alchemical dying (which isn't helped by an unknown, intelligent monster being the real cause that Undine doesn't want to burden others with because survivor's guilt sucks) or she thinks she is moving in on Kokoro and wants the juicy details.

This feels personal more than anything, and she can't outright accuse either way because bullying someone with clear survivor's guilt is terrible, and flat-out asking when HP is there would lead to questions why she cares.

I don't think anyone would blame the former on Undine (okay, well, im sure SOMEONE but i doubt a fellow magical girl, especially with the fallout of Tessa giving up her powers to save undine). Cassidy probably has been snooping on a lot of Undine & Kokoro's interactions, at least enough to figure out Something is off and Undine herself probably acts weird about it beyond the "your team died" aspect.

so it probably is the kokoro thing, it's what the chapter's been about so far, with the goop being what undine thinks about and goes all out for.

e: Gabby, latter: "Yeah she's just an INTENSE rumormonger, even worse than Bud. Gives me the creeps. Total blabber mouth, and you can take that from someone called Gabby!"

e2: I'm rereading the first part of the chapter and i forgot about Kokoro's manager wanting new footage so they're going to get a camera man they have to protect. I sense GREAT drama in the works

rannum fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 23, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

You know what? I think you convinced me it is "Cassidy thinks Kokoro and Undine are an item" and Cassidy is just being unusually aggressive about finding out. But Undine (and by extension the audience) thinks she is talking about Goops. It certainly feels anime enough misunderstanding for this comic. We shall see.
Cassidy after getting blood bended into submission: alright geeze sorry for wanting to know if you're joining team heartful

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Magnolia Porter giving the world one hell of a present for her birthday :stare:

gotta suck having 4 gaping, large pipes on your head

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

http://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-25

ohhh undine gettin' mad this is going to get Juicy

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

I hope Udine doesn't even fight Cassidy, she just comes right out and lays it all down and then Cassidy will hopefully be like "Oh... holy poo poo." Also hopefully realizing that people with severe PTSD aren't always rational actors.

Honestly I feel like even if she lays it all out, or at least hte broad strokes since I think Undine is hesitant to mention goop, Cass would still not be satisfied. She decided the best way to confront Undine is alone, in a fight and the way she's worded all this has an air of "what did you do". Like the other guy mentioned her power is kind of....unnerving to use, at best, & the whole magical girl situation is messed up in general so she probably has her own issues that she's projecting and honestly would anyone be surprised at a dose of tragic backstory that SHE'S not sharing that's giving her a bigger chip on her shoulder?

That said I think Undine is definitely going to lose her cool because this is a major trigger for her and wouldn't be surprised if she throws out some barbs that get Cassidy going because Undine doesnt know anything about her either. Gonna be a bad scene for a bit, is what I'm saying.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm not sure which anime insert song is starting up in Sleepless domain but things are hitting the fan regardless

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Seems like a boss battle is coming up, so I imagine it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhW-pYTNC4M

with a switch to the vocal version at the climax

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

last two pages of monster pulse are fairly :ohdear:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Things seem like they keep getting worse for Bina. Do you think she's just depressed, or is it something weirder, like now she perceives time differently?
The first thing Bina said coming out of a coma (while Abel is sobbing on her!) was dully pointing out her scar was gone, which immediately got her Mother's reaction. The shocked expression is the first expression that wasn't half-lidded or closed we've seen since she woke up. There's probably some depression going on but I think the whole ordeal of dying, having surgery done on you and your monster, and then merging with your monster to be revived as a monster/human mutant (also: the monster's mind is still there in you) is probably doing a number on her brain too.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-27

Guess Cass's clones aren't super hardy

also laughing at going WRONG to someone saying they don't owe an explanation to someone they don't even know

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just bemused that this is now the second webcomic I've read in as many years where the protagonist was turned into a four-fingered hybrid with effectively horns and a tail in order to save their life after getting stabbed in the heart. I'm now kind of hoping the other main kids merge with their monsters either in solidarity with Bina and/or to fight whatever Bizarro Sephiroth horror Lulenski has become that we're now tantalizingly close to catching up to in the timeline.

If we assume Rjinder Maugras is still right about the ticking clock AND ALSO can't fix the machine I'd think the fusion is the necessary solution to that little problem. Provided that whatever insane solution to the Lulenski problem does not also wipe out all monsters, i guess.

At least, I'd think so, but I guess that depends on how Bina actually, like...functions, at this point, wrt shock, depression whatever else is going on from the merger as discussed before. Would be kind of a bummer

e: got my mad science doctors confused

rannum fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 8, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Cassidy very much strikes me in this scene as- well, a secret bitch, yes, but more specifically, someone really bad at handling emotional nuance who works under a rigid framework to try to deal. It's interesting that even though she's clearly decided Undine is the Villain to her Hero, she saves this confrontation for when nobody else is around - she knows nobody else would approve, even if she's internally certain she's doing The Right Thing.

At the very least I'm guessing she's definitely lost someone before but I wonder if she/the incident had something covered up in particular to spur on her inability to believe the news beyond just not believing Undine in general. Pretty interested in unlocking Cassidy's backstory

Or maybe she's just a conspiracy nut! The Dark Rue.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-14-page-28

holy poo poo cassidy

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I have a feeling no matter how this fight shakes out, that Undine is going to leave the club and HP :ohdear:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Yes, that's part of what I mean by the system has clearly soured at some point, but given it's heavily implied this has all gone on for a while it could have easily started as propaganda and magical girls hiring agents for better self-advocacy and solidified into a hosed up system at some point. Now the result is you've got girls like Rue who are going out every night risking their lives to fight and getting 0 benefits at all because they don't trust the government, and while Rue's definitely a paranoid conspiracy theorist I can't rightly say she's wrong, either. Or you have a girl who literally just got her power (and that's how she came out to her family) getting bullied bc she's attending the nicer perk school but didn't immediately throw herself into potentially fatal danger, when like, you'd think even aside from that being her choice there'd be some social grace period for figuring out what the heck is going on. We don't know how often trans girls get powers, but i'm assuming even if Zoe was out to herself before this she completely wasn't expecting to deal with magical superpowers on top of everything else she's figuring out about her identity.

Like I guess if you don't come out all gung ho about fighting and being excited to master your powers so you can protect everyone then it's a shameful thing??

wait that was how Zoe came out? I just kind of assumed it was one of those self actualization things where she comes out (to her immediate family, at least, if not publicly presenting) and then that connection brings her the dream kind of deals, not what's basically a dox. Basically dream girl does you a solid in that situation.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's literally a society based 100% on magical girls, so it makes sense they'd be the sole military, the focus of entertainment, and the basis of religion. Parents aren't too involved likely because that's a trope of the genre that it's playing with. Some handwaving of that kind of thing is fine for the kind of story it's trying to tell, for me at least.

See also: the city is all we know, but it is large enough and modern enough to still have a wide variety of modern conveniences that run mostly as normal. Enough resources to make a bunch of merchandise, TV, store fronts, run hospitals, schools, assorted modern businesses, etc

Just one of those things you don't think too much about beyond the gulf between Magical Girl School and Normal School or how no one has cell phones since it's just the conceit of "modern day magical girl" setting

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

The shoe I'm waiting to see dropped in SD is Tessa's power and etheric element being added to Undine's skills. Because clearly it's in there from how her eyes changed. And we know that Magical Girl powers can be additive since Heartless Punch got a big chunk of her mom's powers because she was a teen mother and thus still a magical girl. So I assume that Undine is gonna zot the gently caress out of some massive beastie the way she already power washed the one that was threatening HP.

You'd think she would display healing powers first, since that was one of those cheaty things Tessa had and healing & water tend to go hand in hand, but no it will be gently caress you lasers.

it will happen this fight, Cassidy will make the connection and then keep digging the hole deeper by claiming Undine STOLE Tessa's powers

e: Actually I said that as a joke but that seems like something that could actually happen as Undine gets more incensed and it is absolutely something Cassidy would say

rannum fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 14, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mikl posted:

There have been flares in this comics, actually, in HP's flashback to what happened to her mum. They were shown to be specifically an emergency thing to be used by civilians when there's a breach and no magical girl is around, as a "hey get the gently caress over here" signal.
You know following that ice trail, grandma kokoro had to have ran past the ice monster to get outside. That whole situation was awful but she was probably lucky to get the flare off at all

Zoe's cousins were also pretty lucky now that i think about it. It wouldve been pretty hard to get a flare off in that situation without someone distracting the monster, undine and kokoro being near enough to hear the screams (iirc) was good happenstance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rereading the early part of the comic to find the guy's notes. I forgot how different the old art was, because of the different artist.
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-3 here's the look at the guy's notebook. He writes things like "locals" so he probably is an out of town guy

also i remembered the dick bullying Zoe but I forgot she dragged Undine into it https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-4-page-10