Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I recently bought both the TW:WH games on sale and have been playing as the Empire in the Mortal Realms campaign a bunch because I will not stand idle. Good game. If I have gotten good at the empire what would be a good second faction to play as with the difficulty cranked up a notch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vargs posted:

Try out one of the Vortex Campaign factions. You get much clearer campaign goals than you find in Mortal Empires, so it's worth checking out. Skaven are definitely the toughest/most complex of the bunch if that's what you're looking for.
I cant say that I want that big of a challenge, I was more asking what a good transition would be. I am leading towards just saying fuckit and going for the magic frogmen that have dinosaurs despite that it will probably be a huge change in gameplay style.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

As The Empire once I have a province up to max buildings (5s for the main settlement and 3s for the lessers) do I just turn my farms into something else?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah, buildings that just give growth are completely useless once the province is at max.
Cool, sweet, thank you!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have Reikland maxed out so I just deleted all of the farms but I dont even know what to convert them to. I dont need City Watch buildings in most of them (I dont think), Building extra roads looks to be redundant, soooo should I build a barracks in every settlement so I can get more Empire Captains?

Also Aranessa Saltspite just marched a full stack army into my territory and is trespassing, should I worry that she's going to attack me? Should I strike first?

Also also my friend says I am doing Empire wrong:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My god I thought something interesting happened and it turns out that people are instead trying to out edgelord each other or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SickZip posted:

"Geez, can't wait to nerd it up and chat about Warhammer. Let me just open the SA thread about it so I can read some game discussion"
So I'm completely new to the Warhammer Total War games but an old Medieval/Rome Total War vet. Being new I played as the Empire so I could get familiar with the game with units that perform like units the previous Total War games I've played.

I secured the Reikland and saw all of the Brettonian Kingdoms getting clowned on by Vampires and Norsca - Brettonia itself lost L'Anguille, the Red Duke owned 3 settlements and the Barrow Legion owned 2, and one settlement was razed by a roving Chaos army - each of the Brettonian Kingdoms I could see was down to one settlement. So I said "this will not do, and I will not stand idle" so now its turn 56 and I own all of Brettonia:

My friend who introduced me to the game says I am doing it wrong :mad:.

Now its like turn 60 and I have an army up in Norsca razing settlements, an army encamped in Castle Artois to guard the Western Front, and two armies marching into Vampire controlled Empire territory to rescue my hapless Elector Counts from themselves. Kislev killed Nordland so I am thinking of recruiting an army to send up north to help raze the Vanaheimling/Norscan civilization to ashes and/or kick Kislev out of their Empire controlled lands.

Am I really doing it wrong? :ohdear:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mukip posted:

I'm literally shaking.
:gonk:

litany of gulps posted:

Bretonnia is rich as gently caress and unlikely to be attacked from the west, since it’s pretty much just high elves out that way. Sounds like you’re going to have a very easy time conquering the eastern and northern parts of the empire.
Yes my income has like tripled and I have all the fancy buildings in my fully-upgraded Altdorf. When I recruit Reiksguards they are double gold Chevrons now :woop:

Karl Franz's army is all gold chevrons because I've had a high level Empire Captain in the army for a good 40 turns, which is why I am replacing my Reikland farms with more Barracks, so every army can have a Captain.

So it would be smart to conquer Empire lands back from Vampire Counts and Kislev, and try to confederate Empire ELECTOR COUNTS as I am able? None have been will yet, but we will see how they feel after I kick Mannfred out.

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, you'll unfortunately probably have to deal with the Wood Elves permanently at some point. Always hated fighting them as Empire.
I left Parravon and Carcassone alive, then bribed them for NAPs and Trade Agreements :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senethro posted:

You're not wrong at all. You've taken high quality territory with lots of big settlements and trade goods, nipped a significant vampiric threat in the bud, all done really quickly. You should be throwing up fast moneymakers in the new provinces, centralizing your investment on your capital so you gain access to the Empire's high quality units, and maybe sending a diplomatic unit to the elves or southern human realms to open up trade options. From the look of your map the eastern vampires have been busy and you should be scouting them constantly so that when they come, you are ready and in an ambush posture.
Yeah I focused money and growth in every province and it is paying off. I went from 2 armies to four after turn 50 and my income has still only risen.

From sacking some of the bigger Brettonian cities and now some Norscan cities Altdorf has the Imperial Palace and the other top tier 10k Academy building. I knocked down all of the farms and am replacing them with money makers and/or bigger garrisons in Reikland now that it is max growth.

Yeah Carstein and the Vampire Counts have been active so KARL FRANZ and a second army are marching on the nearest Vampire holding. There are several razed settlements over there too that I may colonize - should I recruit an army of cheap Spearmen to settle the razed cities with? Does that even make a difference if I settle it with more dudes rather than less?

Ammanas posted:

taking brettonia as empire is fine and will help you get mega rich, but chaos supplementary armies do spawn in the ocean and will attack you. youll need 2+ armies to defend that territory once the chaos invasion begins.
Good to know, thank you! As I said I already have an army over, probably about 2/3 of one. Once I get some more of these expensive buildings built (top level stables and cannon foundry) and buildings going in all the other cities I'll get a second army to station over there. I have, I think its Artois, set up to be able to churn out large numbers of high quality infantry on that side of the mountains very quickly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panfilo posted:

It's interesting that Dwarves are the only race that doesn't use ANY animals whatsoever in combat. They raise goats for food, but don't use them as beasts of burden or anything like that. Balance reasons aside, I guess they just aren't animal lovers?
Probably some sort of grudge.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chakan posted:

I’m telling you guys, 7 handgunners, 7 polezombies, your lord, another caster, queen bess, and some rotting prometheans. 7 handgunners will melt anything. I played VC a lot so switching to a faction with ranged weapons was a huge change but VC are really fun & strong. It rules to have your backline getting hit by cavalry archers and just turn them around to return fire till the morale of your opponents breaks, then go right back to shooting into the mosh pit in the front.
I read this as Vampire Coast rather than Counts so I was really confused for a minute, but then I remembered that the Counts dont have *any* ranged and figured it out.

Do the Vampire Coast gun toting undead shoot into mosh pits without any special maneuvering?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rumor has it a lot of the DLC are on sale. I only the base WH:TW1 and WH:TW2 - what DLCs should I target first?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone point me to a wiki or explain the "Local Populace" modifier for Vampiric corruption in my provinces?

There are no Vampiric units or agents in the land....the province in this screenshot has been mine for almost 20 turns now. Will a Temple of Sigmar help here?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah you'll want a temple and a tavern in that province, it's exogenous corruption just like in Sylvania (but weaker).
Thanks, though I thought the Tavern was only for Public Order? The Public Order in the province is at 98 and rising.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there any point in building a second Empire War College or whatever the tier 5 building is that gives faction wide bonuses? I imagine that they dont stack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

toasterwarrior posted:

If you mean the academy, then yes, some of the bonuses do actually stack. Lord recruit rank and research are very good.
To answer your question: Yes I was just coming back to correct myself, I meant the Imperial Academy.

To respond to your answer: :stare: well poo poo, thats awesome. I'll be putting one everywhere because there are like 8 techs I really want right now. Thank you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone ever have their ranged units charge downhill at something you've told them to shot at? Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug I need to account for when telling mixed range units to shoot something?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I had Guard Mode on with Fire At Will and Skirmish mode off. I told a big clump of 8 total ranged units (4 Free Company in the front, 2 Handgunners in the middle, and 2 Crossbowmen in the back) to attack something that was within shot range of line. They were all standing on the downslope of a hill in such a way that firing over the line in front of them would not be problematic. They all charged straight into melee instead of shooting, then once the Free Company were in melle soome of them started randomly shooting. I'm re-doing the battle because the cream of my army charging into melee instead of shootin poo poo is kinda a day ender.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 24, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Will the AI ever get pissy with me if I have one of the settlements in a region where it owns the rest of the settlements? I ask because I took one settlement (Oakhammer, just up the mountains from East Transylvania) from Von Carstein while exterminating the Vampires, and the Dwarves own the rest of the settlements in that region. I'm buddies with the Dwarves but they are #4 in strength and I can't afford to piss them off right now. I took it rather than raze it because I figured it would be a good early warning system if something was coming out the mountains to come after me...

Also, Karl Franz on a Hippogriff is fun.

edit:. I'm guessing one way to get the Dwarves to like me more would be to attack the Greenskins, who are #2 in power, so that way the Dwarves and I have a mutual enemy we are at war with?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 25, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

In my experience, not really unless your relationship starts to degrade. A common enemy always helps though.
Cool, thanks, I think I'll turn the one Orcish settlement I can reach into training grounds.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mukip posted:

Is it even possible to get Marienburg before Bretonnia does anymore? Now Empire has to tank it's reliability early on by declaring on the coward Leoncour.
In unmodded Mortal Empires I take it every time. "Every time" is many times because of restartitis.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I'm up to turn 80 as Empire (the same playthrough that I have been posting about what feels like weeks now) and I just got the "Chaos is coming to destroy civilization" and all the powerful Elves and Dwarves are offering Defensive Alliances, which I have started avoiding because anyone I am ever in an alliance with ends up at war with someone I have a NAP with which tanks my Reliability. Is this Chaos thing that big of a problem that I should be accepting the alliances? I am a turn away from finishing off the last of the Vampire Counts. I own all of Reikland, Wasteland, two other whole Empire provinces plus several other settlements, as well as all of Bretonia north of Parravon and Carcassone. I have 6 full armies running around, including two floating around the Sea of Claws/Gulf of Kislev stabbing every Norscan they can find/burning down their settlements when they re-settle them (or laughing at Middenheim when they re-settle the lovely frozen wastes).

edit: lol, Kislev is finally willing to trade, right when I'm getting ready to wreck their poo poo. They have Eschen, Waldenhof, Essen, Wolfenburg, and Salzenmund....and I have a combined 5 armies ready to march on them. I'm guessing that the Chaos armies are going to come through them and they are now scared shitless?

Mukip posted:

Maybe I just got unlucky a few times on vanilla L/VH, but Louen took Marienburg by turn 3-4 before I had chance to do anything every time.
Oh yeah, I havent been on the harder difficulties yet, this is still my first playthrough and I doubt that I'll ever get to play enough to crank the difficulty up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 26, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jokes posted:

If a non-Empire faction takes over an Empire land it is the duty of Franz to do everything to take it back including bankrupt the realm, losing reliability, and die trying.
Murder Kislev, got it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi, it's me, AAAAA! Real Muenster, still trundling through an Empire play through. It's turn 99 and I just got another event about Chaos Rising. I just spent maybe 15 turns clowning on the first Chaos army from the north...will new ones keep getting announced when I kill off the previous one? Do I just need to go conquer the North Pole or something?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panfilo posted:

You'll fend off a few waves then face the Big Three Chaos Legendary Lords .once you beat them no more chaos waves spawn

Senor Dog posted:

Eventually, the big bad dudes will spawn and once you kill all of them no more will come. You do have to kill all of them though. If you leave one up they'll respawn after a while (this also applies to the beastmen faction(s) that spawn then as well).

Asehujiko posted:

There's an initial set of armies that spawn with a cinematic, some reinforcements that get announced via event pop up when you kill off the last of the first group(way to be late to the party guys) and after a little while, the real invasion starts with the named characters leading it. Once those die, chaos stops being a thing outside Morathi/Beastmen/Rogue Armies(and of those, Vashnaar's Conquest is the only notably chaos-y one).

Thanks guys! The guy that just spawned is a named one (Foreverchosen or something silly like that?) so I guess I'll have to get to killing him. I love the narrative I've had with this first Chaos Invasion - I had just taken Erengrad from Kislev then had to fight off a Chaos siege of it for four straight turns (a fresh Chaos army each turn) while also fighting off Kislev and taking the city of Kislev in the same span. Now I'm working on being able to colonize the Eastern Oblast and Gianthome Mountains and clear Kislev out of the N. World's Edge Mountains.

It looks like my best bet for fighting off what I assume will be better and better stacks of Chaos will be Zweihanders, Halberdiers, Handgunners, and Demigryph Knights with Halberds for anti motherfucking chariots?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there a way via a console or save-file editing to fix some of the skills I took with my leaders? Namely Karl Franz - I didnt realize there was a level cap and now that I'm nearly there I realize I took a few skills I didnt need and would like to fix it if at all possible.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah, that's the standard. mortars are largely wasted, and cannons are pretty mediocre against most of the Chaos arsenal.
Yeah I felt like my Mortars didnt do poo poo even when I had three of them blasting one spot over and over so I am going to phase them out as I get the opportunity to rest and refit my armies.

Ammanas posted:

make sure you have vanguard deployable fast movers or something to deal with hellcannons. 3 in a chaos stack can easily rack 300+ kills against an infantry heavy army
Oh yeah, even one was a pain before so I'm going to be using more Pistoliers in my anti-Chaos armies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Woo I won a Short Campaign as the Empire and it looks like I could sign a few alliances that people have been begging me for to get the Long Campaign win. I'm guessing I need to turn the difficulty up and try something new.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am actually being asked to solve with this one? I dont want the answer, I'm just confused about what I am actually 'moving' to find the answer across the bottom.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 2, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeahh it clicked now. For some reason my broke brain didnt realize to turn both bits and you pick the set of three that line up with one of the colors that lines up right.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 2, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wallet posted:

I wrote a guide that explains how to solve all of the puzzles with pictures and poo poo that's on Steam here. Originally it was just a list of solutions but people kept asking how you solve them.

The dial puzzles are bullshit—I'm either a moron or it's incredibly difficult to imagine the solution without being able to rotate the ring. Equally annoying, a bunch of the cypher puzzles (the Sudoku ones) have two valid solutions but you only get rewards for one of them.
I'm glad you said that - I had one of the Sudoku's figured out and I was rather certain of the answer but then it told me that I was wrong so I was really confused. And yeah its hard to try to figure out the circular ones without being able to actually move them - once i realized the idea is that you move both inner spots with the colored lines and then see where it lines up I think I found what the answer would have been, but ehh whatever. Thanks for the link.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost - I cant believe how overwhelmingly overpowered Norscan Ice Wolf Chariots are. Like... so much so that even the AI knows to spam the poo poo out of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 3, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Motherfucker posted:

I don't really follow. They kinda sucked when I used them.
As Norsca with a full stack army I was fighting an army that had a General, a Mammoth, five Ice Wolf Chariots, and like two Marauders. The Chairiots were impossible to kill. They just zip around tossing my infantry around like rag dolls. They each had like to hundred kills despite the fact that I had the starting unit of Skin Wolves and six upgraded Javelin throwers. They just don't die and are un-hindered by being engaged by spear men or shot with 100s of Javelins.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Frog Act posted:

Word, that's what I've been doing thus far, I rarely actually achieve victory conditions in TW games so conquering stuff isn't critical. I'm sort of irritated at myself for only just now discovering that only Saltspite can recruit human units which I was pumped about, lore-wise, but had forgotten about until I ran into some Sartosans. They also seem like an extremely good replacement for zombies, like, the Militia have better stats in melee than deckhands and are almost as good as the pistol zombies at range, only simultaneously.

Oh well, I don't think I'm gonna start over 75 turns in just for two units, but I'm really sorely tempted.
I almost started my empire run over once I got the DLC that opens up Free Company because I like them so much I may print a shirt. Lining them up checkerboard with Hand Gunners as the back line in the checkerboard just mows things down, especially with Gelt (who I was dumb and didnt recruit till like turn 80).

edit: or deploy them on the flanks then swinging them out wide to flank and fire into the sides/backs of fools.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 4, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jokes posted:

You haven't experience pure, sulfury bliss until you have a line of free company militia backed up by handgunners and artillery with missile cavalry popping in and out. I wish smoke really was realistically persistent in this game. Sure the free company will get chopped to bits but not before they drown bad bois in bullets.
That is essentially what I do, in one way or another. It works against everything but Chaos and maybe Dwarves. Since I got Free Company unlocked so late into my campaign I had piles of Gold Chevron Crossbowmen so I would often do Free Company then Hand Gunners then Crossbowmen.... entire units would disappear when they got into range. Then I started backing them up with Hellstorm Rocket Batteries and lol.

One thing I want to do is have an Empire army of entirely Vanguard Deploy units and some artillery. Always start in the face of the enemy army and just blap them from the get go. Hellstorms + Free Company + both kinds of the higher tier cavalry that have AP or Grenade Launchers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whorelord posted:

it's gamey as gently caress but i just keep sacking the minor settlement in tilea to farm experience
Until the game is better at determining that I utterly crushed an evenly matched foe and thus rewarding me a Decisive win I wont feel bad at all about doing this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I must say that I have been rather impressed by this game after not buying the first one and ignoring Napoleon and Attilla because of how bad Empire was. However, it still amazes me that Autoresolve is still so bad. There is no way I can manually fight a battle and lose literally zero men, but autoresolve does the same one and I lose 250. Its mindboggling.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Uh, is it normal for "The College of Pyrotechnics" to spawn as a wandering army in the middle of the goddamn frozen north? Two Steam Tanks, Two gold chevron Helstorm Rocket Batteries, two silver chevron Grenade Launcher Outriders, plus the the rest of a 15/20 stack that I cant see the rest of just spawn between Sarl Encampment and Doomkeep while all my armies are all at least 5 turns away, so this seems really loving stupid. Game is unmodded.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHISHKABOB posted:

Just think of them as a crusade.
A crusade that materializes in the core of my empire without warning, reason, or justification? Sure. I'm not trying to be snarky to you, but poo poo like this is part of why I stopped playing prior Total War games. The devs think things like this are 'fun' and 'challenging' when all they are is an attention and fun tax.

Fangz posted:

They start at neutral and can be bribed. I think the College is one of the weaker ones because their build is very unbalanced.
They are raiding me and standing immediately adjacent to a town so yeah I'm not at war with 'em but I dont feel like they are exactly 'neutral'. What can I bribe them to do? I'll be able to smash 'em in a few turns, I'm just hoping they dont burn anything down till Wulfric gets there...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

Rogue armies spawn randomly. I've had Vashnarr and his army (gold chevron Chosen, Chaos Knights, dragons, cold one knights, etc) spawn on the coast of Chrace during turn 20 of my Tyrion campaign.

Next turn Scourge of Khaine paid them to be at war with me. Rogue armies are just a random factor and can appear anywhere. Ulthuan is by far one of my least favorite zones in the game due to how annoying it is to traverse it while rogue armies just teleport into being inside the inner ring.
Its monumentally stupid that triple gold chevron steam tanks, helstorms, and Grenade Launcher cav spawn in the middle of secure territy and "its part of the game" is loving horseshit. I loaded a save I had from before they spawned because when I tried fighting them the autoresolve had their 15 unit army winning and killing two full stacks and a half stack with barely any casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rhjamiz posted:

Picked all this up during the Winter Sale. It's probably one of the best Total War games I've played.

Originally bought it for Lizardmen, but I've been having an unreasonable amount of fun with Norsca. Currently in a Mortal Empires campaign where Clan Moulder NAPed me very early, then wanted trade and military treaties and has just been following behind my armies and occupying all the razed ruins I'm leaving behind. They've gotten loving enormous, it's insane.
Norsca is hella fun and instead of allying the Dwarves up here I need to try allying the Hell Pit rats instead...