Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Counterpoint: elfs drool

MVP of launch game 2 will be aztec space lizards and their leader american president donald trump

MVP of game 2 and also game 3 and everything after that will be Settra once TK drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, Turin and PartyElite are the only dedicated TW streamers worth watching. Everyone else is either insane or boring.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Finally started playing this

Holy poo poo Saurus Warriors are the best infantry line ever

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Wow Swordmasters of Hoeth are dicks. I'm not used to losing more than ten models per unit of Suaruses just yet, and here come these pointy headed assholes sticking around long after their buddies have routed off or been eaten to just wade through my guys without breaking a sweat. Little bastards accounted for 80% of the elf's kills.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ohhhhhhhh well that explains that

That's like even the same exact spot where it happened

It's not a bug, you just can't grasp the beauty of transcendent Elven architecture or some other incredibly snobbish thing they would say

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mod Drama is a time honored tradition in any PC games thread on SA, so I for one am happy to help dogpile this guy.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Rookersh posted:

All these fun new races sound so cool and unique and great in Total War until you realize lorewise Mannfred, Louen, Orion, and the rest ended up being the biggest fuckups imaginable.

Let's be fair, neither of those other two have anything resembling poo poo on Manny in terms of loving up. When you look up "gently caress up" in the Encyclopedia Imperium or whatever pretentious name it surely has, there's just a picture of Mannfred stabbing Gelt and a shitload of expletives :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Truecon420 posted:

Would anyone else like to see CA take a crack at Total war Warhammer 40k, maybe like 5 years from now with new tech? I'm not sure if the map would be 3d/2d or have planet battles or what not but just the idea seems really cool to me.

I mean, CA's proven fairly recently that they have the chops to make good games that aren't Total War (See Alien: Isolation, which is excellent) but Total War as it currently exists would not be a good fit for a 40K game I don't think.

That said, I still really want to see Eugen take a crack at the setting. Wargame: 40K could be the tightest poo poo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hot take: I like all the warhammer factions. They are also all dumb.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Goddammit CA's got me hooked on this DLC train something fierce. Now that Mortal Empires is just over the horizon I should be stoked to settle down and really get into this game, but now I'm just pining for Tomb Kings. I am the ur-consumer.

Also lol at the Ham Sandwich bomb out of nowhere, he's real good at this.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

what the gently caress

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are no unironic factions in warhammer

Well, there weren't at first, and honestly it's probably a blessing that fantasy died before the current generation of writers could dramatically miss the point the way they are with 40K :v:

Also glad to see sassassin's low effort crusade against a couple of mods he doesn't like or use is back, thread feels like home again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Empire is a definite jack-of-all-trades, and is probably the best at teaching you how to structure and utilize every facet of your army effectively since combined arms is how they get poo poo done. If the enemy has a strong melee infantry core, you'll have your guns/magic/cavalry to break them with while your own melee infantry tanks; stuff like that.

Also your literal tanks :black101:

I didn't realized how much I missed the blood pack until I had to play without it. Dudes disappearing in a shower of gore when artillery hits is much better tactile feedback for the player then some guys fall over maybe.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Strange thing, how does one actually play as Brettonia in Mortal Empires without having Warhammer 1 currently installed? Seems the only way to do so is by being prompted to install the freelc, but you can't do that unless Total Warhammer 1 is presently installed soooooo :shrug:

If the FreeLC is listed as owned on your account, you can play Brets in ME.

If it's not, you never installed it, and so yeah, you'll need to reinstall Warhams 1, get Brets, uninstall, then go play ME.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You can't be bad at the Diplomacy game and expect people to confederate with you. Get off that untrustworthy rating then ask.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Brasseye posted:

The Malekith is a thing of beauty.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Let's not get crazy here, Mannfred von Carstein exists.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Let's be fair, neither of those other two have anything resembling poo poo on Manny in terms of loving up. When you look up "gently caress up" in the Encyclopedia Imperium or whatever pretentious name it surely has, there's just a picture of Mannfred stabbing Gelt and a shitload of expletives :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH1LcAZhZ_Y

Guys this is obviously the most important part of the info they pushed out.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

TK are tied with Brets as best faction so I am more than ready to sail Settra's happy rear end up to the Chaos wastes to get that one gold piece that dude stole a few hundred years back.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 18, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Guys how much damage would a Varghulf or Carnosaur do to a Swiss Pike Block

I need to know or else I won't be able to enjoy Warhammer anymore

EDIT: Boyz will be Boyz looks really cool, how long until we find out it was created by a zombified Heinrich Himmler

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Historically pike blocks were the best weapons to use against rogue dinosaurs in the aftermath of the Finnish-Korean Hyperwar, so they'd definitely work against a Carnosaur in this hypothetic scenario. Probably would do well against Varghulfs as well, but in this case the closest historical record is against the Giant Bats of colonial Australia and the Pike had fallen out of favour with the British Empire by then, so they were mostly shot to poo poo by the early redcoat. It didn't really kill them (due to regeneration), but it usually scared the beasts and they eventually went extinct as their grazing areas were settled.

Thank you, this has set my mind at ease. I am now back to being unreasonably stoked for Tomb Kings.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Pretty sure Pontus memes exist to make fun of total war nerds who were mad about Pontus, dude

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

Egypt just ain't that popular

It should be though, because Egypt kicks rear end :colbert:

Can we make pictures thread titles yet?

Beamed posted:

Exactly my point! Complaining about new optional features.

You were one of the guys mad about robots, weren't you?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That thing barely had rules and never got an actual model in TT, sadly. Tomb Kings got left in the dust real hard.

On the flip side, this also means the End Times era team never really had a chance to mess up TK fluff, which was pretty universally great.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You know, it's been a few millenia. It's not really that far fetched to assume the Delves did some remodeling after they left, as opposed to "Ulthuan always had blue elves and purple elves until all the purple elves left."

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of vortex myself but I have played through it with all the races because I'm exactly that kind of insufferable completionist, and I've never once lost the resource race. Pretty sure the AI isn't cheating there.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

If a regular lord becomes cart riding battle Hitler when they get a chariot, what is Settra going to be?

Cart riding battle Hitler but also ON FIRE

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Epic had the best Ork units.

Really it had the best stuff for every faction, but the giant ramshackle Ork monstrosities were really the top of the cool poo poo pyramid there.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Isn’t that so big that to field on the tabletop it would be quicker to just put someone in a Imperator costume?

Epic was all the ridiculous giant scale stuff, so it was about the size of a space marine dreadnought model in the main game and individual bases of infantry were full platoons and the like. It was the warhammeriest that 40k ever got and GW was dumb to kill it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I mean everyone looks VERY SIMILAR to their DW counterparts, and it ends with them pursuing Lu Bu, which is the #1 catchphrase from that series.

I think CA drat well knows what they are doing.

Pretty much, but at least they gave Liu Bei a beard instead of pretending he was a 14 year old boy like Koei always does.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

he has facial hair in the majority of koei games

I remember a goatee in four and then after that he was always a dual-wielding teenager or something.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kanos posted:

Christ, the diplomacy in this game. I have a longstanding NAP with someone. They ally with someone who is being openly belligerent to me at some point. I declare war on the belligerent party and my erstwhile NAP partner opts to stick with his ally and declare on me. This catapults me from Steadfast to Untrustworthy.

Oh, but what if I cancel the NAP first? Nope, same poo poo.

Either pay off the NAP'd guys to break their alliance with the assholes or cancel your NAP and then spend 10 turns setting up your invasion before you declare to avoid the penalty.

Alternatively, give zero shits about your rating because it will climb back up over time and chances are you're just gonna wind up killing everybody anyway.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Pyronic posted:

I'm 25 turns into my Settra campaign and now the game is hard crashing every time I try to end turn. Specifically when the knights of Origo try to take their turn the game dies.

:(

I had this problem too, on turn 19 with one of the Lizardmen factions I had no contact with. Haven't had it crop up since I restarted and now I'm a hundred turns in, but I'm still kinda sweating every end turn phase now.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Already on 11, but thanks. Based on searching around for similar issues, it looks like it's something to do with AI empires trying to initiate an invalid diplomacy request or something and is specific to Warhammer 2. You can fix it by doing some diplo related thing with said faction when you reload your autosave since it changes up what they'll do during their turn, but if it's an empire you have no contact with on the other side of the map you're boned.

Seems rare, at least.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

packetmantis posted:

I'm having a consistent crash on turn 18 in every game when Crooked Moon's turn comes up, anyone had anything similar lately?

It's what Ho said. If you have contact, do some random diplo thing with them to get the AI to reseed its actions and do something that doesn't cause a crash. If you don't, restart.

Good news is that this seems to be pretty rare and also only seems to happen in the first twenty or so turns of a game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Bring light wizards and witch hunters. You get halberdiers and cannons and knights around your second round of upgrades and they are good anti-monster units. Against grave guard, you need to invest more in better state troops, because your heroes and artillery will be too busy dealing with monsters to help out your swordsmen.

Also, consider using hero actions to thin out their armies the turn before you fight. Even rarely-used actions like hinder replenishment can eliminate a lot of chaff before the battle starts.

There was that more coherent

Instructions unclear - Bright Wizard stuck in Vampire fight

(Nothing Argle is saying is incorrect and I don't understand why people are having difficulty parsing his advice)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

I said this before, but the problem I was having is that if you have this

XXX

and select all the cav and click behind them to order them to pull out you get this

XXX

so the flanks try to cross over each other at the middle. Last I used J still had that behavior with groups

The solution here is to not group order your cav during attacks - group them when moving them around to keep them centralized, but when attacking and cycling out give orders to your cav units individually. That way they'll go exactly where you want them to go, and you're less likely to waste a charge by having your cav trip each other up trying to get to the same target or crossing through each other.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The DoomCat is great but if you're willing to micro him a bit he can do sickass flaming donuts all over the other guy's army and is also still capable of sorta dueling lords if they're not supported so I say go for it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The best part about Mortal Empires is all that extra land for Brettonia to crusade in. Just pick a place, sail over, rip poo poo, get money, sail home, repeat. You're Norsca, but chivalrous.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

I've seen the idea floated around in Reddit but what do you guys think of using Demigryphs (lances) as linebreakers a la trolls and chariots? With their small unit size, they can fit in the front ranks right behind Handgunners along with Greatswords, then charge in to disrupt and tank with skill-based ward saves. Meanwhile, the Greatswords can move up to engage.

EDIT: Testing this out against Chosen; looks like Demigryphs are pretty good at disengaging from a melee scrum through friendly units, very much unlike Reiksguard. This might work pretty well.

Is this not how people have been using them? Demigryphs are absolutely excellent when stuck in - the lance means they get an awesome charge, not that they're shock cavalry. You should totally be using Demigryphs to break up formations and keep infantry units tumbling, with halberd gryphs having the added bonus of being monsters against Trolls and Giants and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Brets don't really stand up well against welves until they're rocking Royal Pegs/Hippogriffs and some Grail Knights. Also, depending on what units the welves are fielding, fire arrows may be a better call than pox.

With that composition you've got, assuming the generic cavalry you mentioned are mounted yeomen who I've found to be functionally useless honestly, if the welves equal you in numbers any win you pull off is going to be super pyrrhic. Basically, do what you're doing with the pegs (although try to spread them out so that all the welf archers are forced to engage, if you can) and then loop your Knights Errant in to actually break them, because the pegs can't do it by themselves and you're going to lose the infantry fight no matter what you do so you need the archers out of the picture in order to give your cav breathing room for charges.

Use your archers to draw the welf infantry into a fight, then shoot at whatever is a nice target. Fix them with your infantry, bearing in mind they're going to get slaughtered, then start cycle charging with your yeomen or whatever they are. This is gonna be a nasty fight, and you're likely not going to win it, the objective is just to buy time for your Pegs and Errants.

If they have Wild Riders, do your best to put some fire on them with your archers after they draw the infantry in, but be aware that those guys are going to account for like half the welves total kills.

The real answer is to not fight this battle, for the record