Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

A classic example of Skaven betrayal.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Gonkish posted:

loving Carnosaur mounts are rad as hell. If you're playing Lizardmen and you don't have a cuddle puddle of giant dinos with which to smash rats and elves, you are literally Doing It Wrong (tm).

This reminds me, Legend of total war (unless I'm misremembering) is doing a Tyrion campaign, and one of the first things he did was dismiss the starting pheonix on the grounds the upkeep is too high, and is more efficiently spent on more archers. I don't care if he seemed to prove that was in fact the mechanically optimal choice, if you decided to replace a monster you get to start with with more archers, you are terminally boring.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Beer Hall Putz posted:

He's playing on legendary (most other streamers/youtubers seems to be playing on hard/very hard). He's utterly crushed the other Ulthuan factions, has a great economy currently and two solid armies to work with. He's almost ready to invade Naggarond at around turn 70. I've only noticed a couple of minor mistakes in his entire campaign so far (recruiting and disbanding a 60 influence lord a few turns later was pretty silly), but otherwise he's really showing how to do well on legendary.

The phoenix in the starting army has a huge upkeep (500 or so?) and probably won't pull it's weight against other armies comprised of archers and spears. Money in this game seems to be harder to come by and is seems like armies need to be constantly on the move, so I don't see the point in having a unit that can't simply be replaced early on anyway.

Legend of Total War is an arsehole, but he's still the only Youtuber worth watching, for people interested in seeing a good player taking on the highest difficulty.

I already admitted that he seemed to prove dismissing the phoenix for more archers was the mechanically optimal choice (he's certainly good at the game) but that I believed the decision meant he was terminally boring. So yeah, watch Legend if you want mechanically (near) optimal play, but the rest of us get to acknowledge how soulless such play is.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I've been watching some of Milkandcookies TW and he seems fairly chill, if prone to the occasional stupid moment on the strategic layer.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I know we don't like Arch much, but here's a video where he shills a 10% discount code for TWW2 (via gamesplanet) in case you want to buy this probably good game now for a little cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIznPI2Z0CE

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Carcer posted:

I'd agree, except the AI at least makes a token effort to intercept with spearmen or cavalry or something.

The AI has the advantage of always being able to see all it's troops, it has awareness of the battlefield that far surpasses that of a human (this makes Ai's really good at micro in general), it's just generally less capable of making a good decision with that information than a human would. So, an AI is more likely to notice you pulling such a maneuver, but a human if they notice it is more likely to properly counter it.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
My steam claims it going to take over a day to unpack this? Uhh, that can't be right, let's give it a bit to find it's bearings. Okay, so now it claims it's going to take over an hour to unpack everything. Faster than the several hours it took to download at least, and since I'm in Britain, I have the rest of the day available to me.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Somebody quote this post and tell me what lord to pick when I get home. Option paralysis!!

Mazdamundi.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, how much of a pain in the arse do you think fighting Skaven as the Dwarves is going to be?

Depends on how much artillery the Skaven stack has. A stack with no artillery will just see the Skaven hacked to pieces by warriors, one with lots of artillery will be an unfathomable pain in the arse.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Oh man, a fully maxed out Saurus Scar-veteran on a Carnosaur is something special. That 15% speed in particular is incredible, he can catch up to pretty much anything and flanks like a flying unit.

Now do it with a fleet footed (the trait that gives 15% more speed and strider) one. And then give him a banner of swiftness. Congratulations, you are now the fastest thing on the ground, and a giant monster. Most giant monsters aren't fast, and I delight in the fact Carnosaurs are as fast as... hmmm, their faster than most heavy shock cav (usually in the 66 range) but slower than light cav (80 and higher), so, I guess normal speed light Cav is what they're closest to in speed by default. I delight in the fact they are almost as fast as light Cav by default.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 20, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You out artillery the elves, out cavalry the skaven, and out-both the lizards. The beauty of the empire is they can alter their tactics to fit their opponent.

Yeah, you don't try to win a infantry slog with your own infantry as Empire (expect against Bretonnia perhaps, and possibly a Skaven army without artillery) you make sure to flank with ranged and cavalry, against those with good artillery, you try to neutralize the artillery with cavalry, or possibly just bring more artillery yourself, against someone with good cavalry, hold them in place with halberds (or magic nets) and shoot them. Essentially, your greatest strength is the ability to play to your opponents weakness. Though admittedly, their top tier cavalry and artillery is a fair bit more up there than their top tier ranged and footsloggers.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

This is certainly a mod, that exists.

This is clearly what Malekith dreams of being. And hey, making prettier males is exactly as okay as all the "sexier/prettier" female unit mods.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ZeusJupitar posted:

The idea was briefly floated (don't ask me where) that gunpowder and steam technology only work for dwarfs/humans/ogres. Guns fizzled when orcs tried to use them. It's not really possible for anything to be 'non-magical' in a world where everything is drenched in magic.

I believe this was specifically an orc thing, guns didn't work for them because they didn't believe dirt (gunpowder) should be able to explode. An example of the whole "the belief of orcs has real power" going in a way that doesn't benefit them.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Despite having invented gunpowder centuries ago, they think guns are dangerous newfangled technology that can't quite be trusted. Thunderers are pretty progressive and gyrocopters are downright modern.

I've got to say I like TWW1's portrayal of Thorgrim as being like "technology is good as it allows us to better smite the grudge-makers".

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
"CHANGED max number of traits a character can hold to 30 from 20"

You know, for a second I read that the wrong way round (like "from 30 to 20", instead of how it actually is) and thought they were reducing it from 30 to 20, and was like "oh come on!" then i looked again and went "oh wait, no, this is good, carry on". Room for an extra 10 traits should make it easier to get more of those "Defeated (insert Legendary Lord here)" traits.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

I like the idea of dudes hunting down Gelt, Volkmar, and Tyrion like a very specific serial killer just to max out their army-wide bonuses.

If you play as Wulfric, than this sort of behaviour even makes sense!

In more news, here are 2 truly tragic parts of the patch notes

"FIXED a staircase in Lothern Siege battle map which would cause chariots to spontaneously combust
FIXED an exploit where you could cast some spells repeatedly for free if giving a move order during spell wind up. YUKANNADUZAT!"
Truly, this is the most tragic of news.

"FIXED CA Cinematics Team’s obsession with slaying High Elves. May require further testing…"
Actually no wait, this is the most tragic of news. An obsession with killing elves isn't something that needs to be fixed!

Here, have the best news to quench your sadness:
"Skavenslaves: more salt added to diet; now 25% more delicious"
The lizards will be truly happy to hear this.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 25, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

A skeleton, that is dead: hmm I don't like this climate it makes my rattly bones all moist

"oh wait, is that bone rot I see? Yes, that Is definitely bone rot." *falls apart*

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I've heard that in ME, the ruler of Tiranoc has a name similar to Surtha Ek, and a custom Chariot Master trait. Can anyone confirm this?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's Surthara Bel-Kec and she runs armies made almost entirely of chariots and Ellyrian Reavers :allears:

Seriously? That's amazing. Is the "chariot master" trait thing true as well?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Blinks77 posted:

It is indeed. In fact.

That is absolutely incredible. Truly, this is Surtha Ek's Revenge. Or is it the revenge of his girlfriend?

EDIT: You know what would be amazing? If when new Norsca get's patched in, Surtha Ek has a similar custom trait. He already got a custom chariot!

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 28, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Plavski posted:

My Kroq-Gar campaign came to a crashing end when a rogue army doomstack of delfs appeared on my doorstep while I was wiping out the VC's to the north. On like turn 20, it had a dragon, 3 bolt throwers and a mass of mixed top tier triple silver infantry and cav. I lost everything before I could make it back.

Not enough money to activate the Rite of Primeval Glory huh?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Plavski posted:

Getting 12k liquid at that point in the game is drat hard

Yeah, I figured as much. Though, if you had gotten lucky, you could have found a 10k gold Skull reef. So, not impossible for you to have had enough money.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Plavski posted:

i made the point earlier that you have to set your own victory conditions because the game is just too big now. it still stands. treat it as a sandbox with goals and i think you'll have a better time than trying to paint the insanely big map

I agree with this, but I also know that there are people who in TW:W1, got the conquer anywhere mod, and then proceeded to paint the map, simply to spite CA for making regional occupation a thing, and saying most people don't paint the map. There will always be people who paint the map, simply so that they can say "there are people who paint the map, and by not catering to us you're being awful!" or other such things that boil down to acting like this tiny group of people are somehow representative of most players, and must be listened to, because somehow they're the people who are the "core audience". I'm sure that are dedicated fans who map paint, but I somehow doubt it's literally everyone who's part of the "core audience" who map paints.

Anyway, my point is that people who desire to paint the map exist, and some of them can not be dissuaded, for they are not driven by things like "fun" despite claims to the contrary.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 1, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

maev posted:

I think I'd be down with Warcraft: total war at this point

And now I'm imagining a mage fight between Jaina and Teclis. Thanks a lot.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

JBP posted:

Spare a thought for the poor fellows like me trying to enjoy a beastmen campaign, only to have Orion activate my beastman ankle monitor and suddenly burst onto my screen from the fog like HEY SON YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME and proceed to stomp my face in.

In fairness, this is entirely accurate to lore and how much the Wood Elves hate the Beastmen.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

LordSloth posted:

For some reason, I couldn't get anything at all out of that Rome 2 trailer other than a completely silent title screen. Therefore, I can only conclude Skaven are coming to Rome 2, followed by the wood elves arriving in Shogun 2.

I would unironically love this.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Go full whatever the name of the ninja clan was in Shogun 2 and give stealth to every unit.

Sadly I don't' think they had stealth on every unit. I think they had Vanguard Deployment on every unit. Clearly, Eshin should get both.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Fewd posted:

Talk about the most worthless trait you could possibly get from defeating early game rival

:thunk:

On the other hand, that's a really useful trait for pretty much everyone who aren't Vampires.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

JBP posted:

Yeah I kind of wish Tyrion was given AI that made it a little clearer that he shouldn't cannibalise his own people while the world burns down around him.

Clearly, this is simply what happens when the AI goes down the blood of Aenarion route rather than Defender of Ulthuan. Totally makes sense.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I like how those Rogue armies consist of the most bullshit combinations of units across different races.

Personally, I can't wait till modders find a way to let us play like them.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Very stressful with the right mix and the apparent fact that they can instantly turn any settlement they capture into a walled settlement, though. Chaos + Dark Elves might be the toughest mix; you get killer AP ranged infantry covering for Chaos' heavy infantry and cavalry.

And yeah, when they can actually expand and put down roots? loving monstrous.

Sounds like it would be hilarious to have as an ally though.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Xae posted:

It is asinine that NPC armies can leave cities under siege by embarking.

This is actually something you can do too. It's just that it only works with coastal cities, so you may not have noticed, but if say, Altdorf is under siege, and you have an army there you want somewhere else, and are confidant the garrison can take care of itself, you can totally just sail away on the river Reik.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
As a guy from Winchester (it has a statue of King Alfred in it, and was the capital during his time), I am totally stoked that now I have a game where I can go "I have connections to this historical figure and therefore they are the best".

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

JBP posted:

CA did right by me with this fantasy battle game for literal children that don't live in the real world of hardcore ancient military simulation.

This kind of thing is why I would find it hilarious for them to release what appears to be a historical title, and then suddenly orcs (or skaven or something) attack Rome or Carthage or Japan or whatever historical thing. Can you imagine all the heads that would explode?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

nessin posted:

Is there a secret to using Missile Chariots, or are they all just bad (barring the Lizard stuff like the Ancient Stegadon)? I've tried several over time and basically I just end up using them as regular chariots and the ability for them to occasionally fire as they're charging around never seems to make up for just going with a regular chariot. The only time I've had a lot of success with them is when I'm down to the wire and can kite something.

I did okay with Norsca's Marauder Ice Wolf chariots, but that's probably because they have even better melee stats than Chaos Chariots, in addition to having missiles. Otherwise, yeah, missile chariots are probably worse than non-missile chariots most of the time.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Kholek , closely followed by Kroq-Gar. Both are heads and shoulders above the rest.

Tyrion however is the most melee-tastic footman. Even though he can get a horse.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Is there a way to see what perks the Blessed Spawnings get for Lizardmen? Some, like Perfect Vigour, are easy, while others are a bit trickier to figure out if you can't recruit non-vetted versions of the troops in general. I got that Blessed Carnosaurs are fast as hell and have better attack/worse defense, but I can't quite figure out what Blessed Temple Guard get since I can only recruit vet 8 Temple Guard at the moment. Better charge and more armor, it looks like?

Some of the blessed variants just have better starting stats and no real special thing (such as perfect vigour), in the case of Temple Guard, they have extra armour and even more Melee defence. Since they can only be recruited at vet 0, it can be hard to notice the defence.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Disappointed Thorgrim doesn't have grudge skills against Skaven or Lizardmen.

I presume they'll be added in a later patch, but I hope the flavor text for the Lizardmen one is just "That fat oversized toad did WOT?!?"

The thing is, they don't know the Lizardmen did the thing, so they have no grudges against them. I mean, if they DID find out, then yeah, but as it stands, doesn't make sense for there to be a grudge skill against Lizardmen. Would be funny though, I agree.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

There definitely should be a grudge skill for the skaven, though. That just goes without saying.

Well yes, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

Retreating from battles is so dodgy. If you do it with a river or something at your back you can get a huge amount of free movement as your stack walks all the way around to get the standard retreat distance away (which is impossible to then close down).

And if you block one end of a valley and tell your ally to attack from the other side, the enemy stack can still retreat right through your zone of control if it doesn't feel like fighting.

I'm pretty sure both retreating and attacking completely ignore zones of control. In fact, I think retreating has to ignore zone of control, because in the event you somehow end up in an enemy zone of control with normal movement available (in my experience, usually from sacking a settlement (which removes it's zone of control for that turn) and walking back near into where it's control zone would be so you start there next turn) you cannot move anywhere, except in the zone of control, meaning the only way to get out is to attack, and then either confirm the attack, or retreat, which will then have the army walk out of the zone of control, which would not be possible if retreating did not ignore zones of control.