Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

littleorv posted:

I am here to show my support to the high elves. The rightful leaders of the warhammer universe.

elfs rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

I'm telling myself this is a really bad idea

I'm CST too. One 8am class tomorrow then I'm free, I can make it right? I have a coffee machine, 24 coke zeros, and an undying love for elves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

I have so much stuff going on Thursday, but at least most of it involves actually interacting with friends so it'll be almost as good

hah, look at this nerd!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

basic hitler posted:

I bet this post is tiresome, but steam says the unlock is due for ~1 am here in Texas (CST), is that about right? Or is it midnight PST as usual?

2:30 plus however long it takes to actually play after unlocking.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Somebody quote this post and tell me what lord to pick when I get home. Option paralysis!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nopantsjack posted:

can you not press space bar to speed up your campaign animations anymore?

It’s r now for some reason

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I went with my heart and am Tyrion but the other smug elfs mostly hate me even though I killed the not-empire-secesh dark elves. Am I supposed to to just go kill them and take their poo poo? That doesn't seem elfy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Teclis seems like the funnest lord/start so far.

Elfs rule

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Just had a Skaven rebel named stretch. That is all I wanted to say.

The best rat name I’ve seen yet is « Transiform Stabb »

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, but who would buy the High Elves DLC ???

High Elves are the funnest race in the game to play though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Davincie posted:

wow the final ritual mission is disappointingly easy, fighting of all the ritual stacks before that was harder

Does the fourth ritual automatically start war with the other mains? Me and Tyrion are now at war with my former bud Mazdamundi out of nowhere.

Also do skaven get attack ambush like beastmen? They sallied at me and it was an ambush somehow.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

The town was Bohsenfels. It held out for pretty much the entire 8 week campaign and at one point GW just said "we are going to have the chaos forces move past it, because they just keep getting merked there".

And the town holding out was written into the story, Archaon executes the dude leading the tzeentch forces and orders them to bypass it, leaving it under token siege.

Storm of Chaos happened exactly like everyone expected, an indecisive battle where all the army book characters survive. The plucky nerds giving the finger to GW’s chaos-partisan writing team is impotent nerd rage mythologized a decade on.

The real issue is you could sign up for either side with any army, or be neutral if you were orcs. This meant pitting two factions worth of chaos players against almost everyone else. It was a poorly designed campaign. Idfk where the idea that GW loves wanking it to Archaon and were oh-so-salty that he lost came from. We all knew he would always lose until they wanted to blow up the world.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone else get freezes during ritual cut scenes? Intro works fine and if I reload the autosave the cut scene usually works fine, but if I’ve been playing for a while, the map freezes and the voice over plays with no video, forcing me to restart.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/202879/crash-after-completion-first-vortex-ritual

I have 12 gigs of RAM so it's not this.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have more trouble with ranged-heavy dark elves as high elves, and the late-game Chaos stacks sometimes. Even the doomiest of Skaven stacks melts to a walled city but Chaos needs a stack as well as a garrison.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Deified Data posted:

For those of you who played Kroq's campaign, did you go after the whole Southlands or just stick to the coast and build tall?

I went on a crusade to wipe out the undead in the desert but I feel like it was a huge waste of time.

Tall is the way to go if you're doing a ritual victory imo.

I wish there was more incentive to be the first to complete your rituals, and that the final battle was harder in general.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All the new factions are more fun in sieges. Elves can win without even leaving the walls, just line up on top after you storm them and mow everyone down.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Someone in the previous thread had the same issue and solved it by disabling all the camera options during end-of-turn.

This seems to have worked

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

I did, but I also don't think I've ever brought down a tower even focus-firing it.

You need to start shooting at them pretty quick, two towers firing will kill a siege tower. Problem is that the advancing tower usually won't spend a lot of time in range of two, so focus as soon as the battle begins. It's luck-of-the-draw with how the AI places its towers that determines how many you can kill, really.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The ritual stuff is pretty fun if you pretend that foiling your opponents is important, on normal. You can afford to defend at home and still have a some offense against the other ritual-doers and the chaos stacks aren't overwhelming.

The real annoying thing about Chaps imo is how if that sack some minor settlement, your factional friends will jump the ruins like vultures.

Also, there should be ritual resource sharing. AI Malekith and Tyrion both love sniping resource sites that Morathi and Teclis could use, and you have no choice but to attack them or go without. Chaos sacked Vaul's Anvil in my Morathi game and even though I beat them back, Malekith stole the ruins so now I'm invading Lustria to get the site there at Tlaxtlan or whatever. I've gotta take my rage out on Mazdamundi cuz Mal is my only friend.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vortex is funner than map painting but it needs tweaking.

Especially Chaos spawning in the inner ring of Ulthuan. WTF is the point of the gates?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As Mazdamundi is there any reason NOT to run with full Temple Guard as your melee core? Their upkeep is lower than Saurus with him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I found my Sea Guard/Archer doomstacks really sucked vs. Chaos stacks where Darkshards will shred them. Luckily almost all fights vs. Chaos are in walled settlements.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dartonus posted:

While the sample model pictures in the army book depict Tomb Guard wielding Halberds and Shields, they don't actually have a rule that lets them use Halberds with one hand.

Plenty of dudes could take halberds or occasionally great weapons and shields, like chaos warriors or even empire halberdiers. There was no « one hand halberd » rule, you just didn’t get to use the shield in melee if you had a 2 hand weapon. They still help against ranged fire so halberd/shield was a common chaos loadout. Pretty sure that applied to Temple Guard just like everyone else. Phoenix Guard don’t have shields.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Truecon420 posted:

Is it currently possible to mod the victory conditions? I've completed the Vortex Victory as helfs and I 'd like to complete Domination victory without killing off main lizardmen factions

At that point, why? There's no cutscene or anything, it's functionally the same as just hitting "quit game" when you conquer Naggarond or whatever.

Just play till it's boring then stop.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Siets posted:

My campaign just got completely hosed over in one turn. Right as the high elves complete their fourth ritual, the next turn they immediately break our military alliance, declare war on me, AND confederate the second largest high elf faction (Teclis) that happens to be interspersed all throughout my southern territories because we had been allies for most of the campaign.

I'm now at war with high elves who instantly own over half the map and also have over eight full doomstack armies already near most of my major province capitals. I had NO idea it was coming because I was over 200+ relations with them well in the green and we were military-loving-allies. What is this poo poo? Does ritual four automatically force war or something? What a lovely way for this campaign to end. Ugh. :(

edit: Apparently they didn't suffer any diplomacy penalties for backstabbing the gently caress out of me either. They are still bright green to New World Colonies who I graciously allowed to stay in Settler's Coast because they were my first friends and I got sentimental about it. Now NWC still regards Lothern as bright green allies and won't even back me up my darkest hour. gently caress warmbloods forever. :argh:

Ritual four starts permawar with the other 3 main factions.

You can prolly still win a ritual victory though. One thing that's kinda good about the Vortex campaign is that it's the first TW where you will prolly lose land, and can still come back for a win.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Defending Tlaxtlan against four full stacks of Skaven was fun. Dinosaurs wading into breaches eating hundreds of rats.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In my Mazdamundi game I just finished, they were fielding 5-6 dragons a stack.

The AI on hard or above really likes unit spam, I get why they'd field those stacks given their enormous income but I don't like it. Every Lothern stack was a shitload of dragons and archers and every Naggarond stack was a shitload of black guard, chariots, and dragons. Other than siege defence vs. Chaos and Skaven I just autoresolved those fights cuz gently caress playing them out. I'd rather face down a bunch of balanced stacks instead of this.

Also makes the final battle seem even more underwhelming. I would love to fight a loving tide of skaven. Have the final wave be one good stack and then a fuckload of chaff, just swarm the player. The vortex abilities are really powerful and the elf/lizard stacks are chumps, a decent army on that map could easily face down waves of skaven.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ugh, the Ultimate Chaos mod for 2 adds 2-3 skill points for every level up, starting at level 1. Guess I won't be playing that mod. I got Morathi to max upkeep reduction, a mount, and into the second spell tree by level 8 or 9.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Two’s load times are way shorter for me and I don’t even have an SSD.

Turn times kinda chug though, albeit still better than Rome/Atilla. Definitely set the camera to only show enemy armies at fastest, and get the faster camera panning mod.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Red climate provinces need a lot of +public order effects. You can make them worth your time and effort, but you'll need to invest heavily into them. An occupying force to beat up rebels periodically is often required.

I usually don't bother. The downsides and needed investment in turns aren't worth it unless the province has something I really, really want. A goldmine or strategic location for example.

Morathi doesn't get to trade by sea because you need an overland route between your capital and a city with a port. She has no easy access to one. The Ss'ildra Tor faction to her south is the nearest port. But to get it you need to conquer or confederate Ss'ildra Tor and colonize a red climate region between you and Ss'ildra Tor.

It’s only yellow, not red. Take Ss’dra Tor’s province right after taking Vaul’s Anvil province. You’re gonna want to push to Mazda’s mirror pool and gold anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hot take: I like all the warhammer factions. They are also all dumb.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
With the better skill trees and more capital slots, is anyone else finding extra skill points and t4 minor settlments no longer necessary?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hunt11 posted:

I did most of my first campaign without it. What the mod does is allow you to maintain enough of a presence at home to handle the rituals whilst also being able to go out and interact with the rest of the map.

I have no trouble doing this with the vanilla upkeep. You can stack a crapload of -upkeep buffs from a bunch of different sources. Like in my Malekith game that just finished I had two stacks in Ulthuan, 3 in Naggaroth, and 2 in Lustria alongside a garrisoned Black Ark and was able to pop rituals while invading Lothern.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pendent posted:

Oh man, I remember that guy. That was a really funny conversation looking back.

Hello

Also, you can get a High Elf noble named Guderian

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BillBear posted:

As someone who doesn't know too much about the lore or tabletop, looking at game 3's likely faction list sounds depressing, it's got two Chaos factions and I really don't find them cool, especially after batshit insane ratmen and dinosaurs.

I just hope the Ogre Kingdoms are cool. Unironic grimdark factions are the worst.

There are no unironic factions in warhammer

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pendent posted:

I don't know, I thought it was super cool when i started a ritual at +5000 gold/turn as Teclis and by the time the turn was over my capital was under siege by an intervention army and I was at -7000 gold/turn. I also foolishly had my defensive stack a few turns away from the capital, defending the two ritual sites, meaning I went from a really comfortable gold buffer to completely bankrupt before I could break the siege.

Put a stack in your capital and build a garrison, congrats, you can now autoresolve away all intervention armies by sallying out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gitro posted:

I've had ranged units decide they need to walk all the way up to the walls without firing when giving them a direct order, but about 90% of the time it works fine whether it's fire at will or targeted. Guard mode might help? Normally I just re-position when it happens and they start working again.

The one time I did a ritual (Delf game, hard) three chaos armies spawned in the centre of my capital province and got murdered by my defending stacks. Delves are pretty nuts against chaos infantry lines. Then Tyrion sent an intervention stack the next turn and it was actually a reasonably fun fight, I was out-artilleried and out-archered and I liked having to adapt to that after ~50 turns of absolute ranged supremacy. Then I autoresolved the dregs and pressed end turn eight times. I decided not to do any more rituals after that.

Is there any way to mod a skill points buff for AI only, or create a dump skill that's restricted to player? I'd like to vomit skill points at the AI in hope they'll accidentally make an effective lord. I don't mind honour systeming myself but I'd prefer not to have to manually track levels.

After you beat the ritual stacks you can go back to attacking, you know? In fact you can even attack with some stacks and defend with others? There’s no reason to sit around for 8 turns unless you want to.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He needs a bare midriff and assless chap armour

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

Feels like they had two different teams working on this and the WH1 Norsca update and neither knew what the other was doing, so it'll take a while to get everything sorted out, if ever.

"Weeks not months" lol. What a mess.

They do have different teams for them and have openly admitted it?

Mortal Empires work is older than Norsca patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah the racist part is that all the playable humanoids are white and european. Also there are no black peple or native americans, just orcs and dinosaurs.