Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Lastgirl posted:

thre is no breaking point

its all a lie

:matters:

This is wrong because the actual breaking point occurs when people realize they will die soon and their life has no value. That may have happened if the Graham-Cassidy bill passed but the mattering is on hold for now.

This is why the real health care bill repeal will be prefaced by tactically stripping 2A rights from the sick and ill before they pass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

joementum on a roll with the good news retweets tonight

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/912849808980881408

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

i know one turtle who's gonna be glumly eating their lettuce tonight over this one

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

a.lo posted:

wow so where do the democrats go from here

not alabama

the racists are galvanized but outnumbered. Don't forget that 2 state senate seats went D tonight and one was an upset by a large margin.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

hmm a state with a football team that is basically freaking worshiped at the altar is named after a phytoplankton that in large quantities just kills everything as it masses up in water sources?

can't tell the difference between red tides and republicans~ :ocelot::grin:

:hmbol:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

i'm really scared to see how many orders of magnitude worse this is going to get, especially if they're already talking on these terms.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

good read: https://grist.org/article/6-reasons-post-maria-puerto-rico-could-be-a-katrina-like-disaster/

This was a neat thing I didn't know that jumped out:

quote:

Last year, the Supreme Court ruled that Puerto Rico couldn’t file for bankruptcy under Chapter 9, which permits local American governments to restructure debt. That decision is based on an inexplicable amendment to Chapter 9 law by South Carolina Senator Strom Thurmond in 1984 that specifically excludes Puerto Rico. All this essentially cements Puerto Rico’s status as a modern day colony.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/dildog/status/912877819083972608

lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Baloogan posted:

next its gonna be 420 characters :rolleyes:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Marco Rubio already visited

Thankfully he really cares about getting aid to PR because if Puerto Ricans move to Florida in bulk his senate career is donezo

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

galenanorth posted:

I hope we're going to have to wait until there's a photo with a few hundred bodies in a grave on a front page before anyone important wonders why we're not doing anything. I hope it's not that dire and the thought of that is just melodrama.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/pr/san-juan

Current Heat Index: 105F

It's going to be exactly as dire as you're scared of it being.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Typo posted:

katrina

Katrina but with more zeroes on the end of everything

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

brugroffil posted:

"early warning signs of things to come" chapter of history once it's reconstructed in 2500.

2500 more like 25Myr once vertebrates redevelop intelligence after our permian-triassic tier extinction event

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

tacodaemon posted:

um... guys?

So the exodus begins

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

lmao they thought they could put a conservative pundit in a spot that required human empathy

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

lmfao he going on about the filibuster again i loooooove it

holy loving shijt i hope that becomes a maga or bust move because wowee dems gonna push a lot of poo poo through in 2018 if it goes

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

zegermans posted:

Every time there's an unprecedented heat wave or weather event it's always shrugged off as "well one event doesn't indicate climate change is happening!"

Nah we're getting to the point where the microclimate signal is so strong that the deniers can't hide behind statistical uncertainty. Coincidentally, that's also around the point that it gets too late to deal with before we go full Permian-Triassic.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Yandat posted:

why do you think that showing them another graph called "increased microclimate signal" would change anything

because when people realize that what they thought was their grandkids problem is actually their own problem a lot more representatives are going to have to come to terms with the fact that they've allowed their populace to arm up very quickly

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

zeal posted:

ah good, my favorite part of geological history

I mean it was literally caused by a massive carbon release from volcanic release burning stored carbonaceous sources like peatland. Caused due to nature burning away fossil fuels for thousands of years... Hmmmm seems kinda familiar

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Almost correct except there's another panel with the bourgeois dog starving to death due to ocean anoxia

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

zegermans posted:

He'd be dead before that happens

good point maybe we need to speed up the process a bit for boomers

we need better marketing for prescription opioids

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

jesus loving christ

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Atoramos posted:

Rubio getting get woke af

Narrator: He wasn't.

PR refugees in FL flip his senate seat so he has a very personal worry about making sure the savages stay in their colony.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

He's literally circling the drain into 14 words every time he tweets or opens his piss gurgling mouth isn't he

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/913198744107175936

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Agrajag posted:

yes but did it occur to you that, TRUMP!

stfu imho

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

triple sulk posted:

did something come up to spur talk of the piss tape

it's been a bit quiet on that front for a while as we just trucked along knowing it was real, in our hearts

yes there was another game theory tweet and it was full of delicious piss that we are all thirsty for

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

What's the over/under on the number of navy ships that will collide with commercial vessels while attempting to perform PR aid

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

deadgoon posted:

why's an anime mod trying to doxx the thread

is this cointelpro

yes and posting ya face is bad opsec

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Oiled and Ready posted:

"Our" is the tell

yikes good catch

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/913214781791883264

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

14 words dogwhistle

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

Puerto Rico will have some life left in it because there's a lot agricultural land that's just too good to go to waste. But you're right it will never be a bustling island of 4 million people again, just a big plantation if we're lucky.

Yeah until it gets leveled again.

Guess we'll find out soon whether we're really out of the hurricane drought or not.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

dumb cuck duck posting fake news lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Martin Random posted:

is anyone calling this a Katrina situation yet

does anyone realize that puerto rico won't rebuild, is largely no longer economically viable due to climate change,

its population will dwindle and vanish

I mean it's much worse than Katrina but yes that is what will happen.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Several US Virgin Islands got poo poo on by both Irma and Maria and basically rely on PR as a major access port. They're uhh... doubleplusfucked too

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Aren't we already using the US Military to provide rescues and supply dropoffs, though, with plans to do more? This is from 2 days ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/us-military-response-puerto-rico-hurricane-maria/index.html

Too little too late, also doesn't include an aircraft carrier. NHC and NWS told the admin clearly how bad this would be but they decided they'd rather let people perish instead of proactively respond. Two days ago? Maria hit PR more than a loving week ago

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Gringostar posted:

that's not meant for you

it's meant for people like hannity to claim fake news when people say they don't have the votes for healthcare since they just said they technically did

ya fake news needs fake citations too

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/913183856416690176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

why the absolute gently caress is arctic drilling back on the table jfc