Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

I hope I can get Original sin 2 done before Odyssey comes out

I had to go back and make sure I didn't miss a pc port of Lost Odyssey in the games list. Now I'm sad.

The best I can come up with is A. Cleaverhausen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
No lie Bubsy is the first SNES game I remember playing, I never thought he'd be coming back.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably halfsies(maybe) again. i am honest surprised they havent made a female assassin(full game) outside aveline. Ubisoft is pretty progressive socially and unlike some companies, they usually do it really well. hopefully they do it in the next one.

I want a Victorian lady assassin. Debutant by day, killer by might. Also England would work since Ubisoft hates accents

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

glam rock hamhock posted:

Didn't the Vita one sort of have that?

gently caress, kind of yeah. I forgot, but then again how many people would have played it, it was on the vita after all.

A southern belle maybe, slaughtering the old dominion fat cat slave owners?

E: Wait poo poo, the vita one does that too I think.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 1, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

homeless snail posted:

backgammon, is a perfect game

Solitaire, clearly. :smug:

My perfect game? I mean in terms of a game where I have no complaints except there isn't more to play, I'd have to go with Eternal Darkness or like VideoGames said, Portal 2.

E: gently caress, Suikoden 2. I can't pick just one.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

exquisite tea posted:

Silent Hill 2 was the one where if you set the puzzles on hard you had to know the chronological order of Shakespeare's plays, right.

Nope, that was 3. God I love those games. The hardest puzzle setting was so nice.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Plebian Parasite posted:

Okami is the perfect game

Knowing about the moon level, the final level, and poo poo cut for time it's sad.

Okami is one of the best video games ever, the art book is one of the best from a game series I've seen. It comes with little notations for which song on the soundtrack goes with the art.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Colonel posted:

okami is going to be on pc in two months, making it perfect

You have no idea how happy that made me. Now all that's left on my 'best games as a teen' to be on pc is Jet Set Radio Future.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

To ask the thread a similar question: are there any pays of a game you love that other people seem to hate?

Like, for example, one of my favorite parts of Gunstar Heroes is the dice maze and I was really surprised to find out years later on the internet that people apparently hate that part and consider it a flaw in an otherwise perfect game.

Ooooh I totally have a good one here. The Fade in Dragon Age 1

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Colonel posted:

magic in skyrim is absolute poo poo. it's not unplayable but it is way way way worse than just bashing everything with progressively better axes

Meanwhile in Elder Scrolls Online it's pretty cool

Phantasium posted:

please don't argue about your favorite skyrimjob we don't need to know your kinks

Lol if you don't archer your way through every dungeon

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

Nope and Nope, I just know its got a very specific style, and that I wanted to play it when it came out on GameCube but my mom wouldn't let me rent it because it was M. Screw you mom!

Should have told her it had David Duchovney in it :colbert:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just read this article and got really depressed :(

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/farewell-visceral-games-push-towards-destiny-model-claims-another-victim

Visceral closing is so loving sad, and for what it represents too.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've been thinking about the former Visceral dude saying Dead Space 2 underperformed, and a chunk of the sales of the game were after it was discounted.

It's no secret that people who play games have a very 'I'll just wait for a sale' attitude, and how often that fucks with publishers expectations that first week of sales, and how multiplayer games can make up the difference in microtransactions.

I guess what I'm saying is if a single player game comes out you want to play, buy it full price or don't bitch when all we have is loot boxed 'games as a service'. I mean it looks like the damage has already been done but still.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

"loot boxes are your fault as consumers for not throwing away your money senselessly at triple-a budgeted recycled mush" is not really a stance i can get behind

Dead Space 2 wasn't AAA recycled mush, but people loooove to pinch a goddamn penny. What's your alternative, because suits will never give a poo poo about anything but week 1 sales, so you either buy full price to show support or save that extra $10 and kill single player games.

V YOUR MOM HATES DEAD SPACE

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

oh when you put it that way here giant corporations take my money i didn't realize you had it so hard

Yes that's exactly my point

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

your point doesn't make sense because if lootboxes were designed to make up for lost revenue because of thrifty consumers why the gently caress has the amount of money being made by the industry tripled since they showed up

Gambling psychology

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Remember when Square was really disappointed that the Tomb Raider reboot had only sold like 2 million in it's first month?

Resident Evil 7 had 'disappointing' figures too.

I wasn't really using a moral argument, there is no moral consumption under capitalism. I'm just saying the suits with the purse strings only watch one short amount of time. If you care about seeing more games of that kind, buy in that period. I'm not saying it's a good thing or right, just reality.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 18, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

and in 2019 it'll be, i dunno, every game is Katamari Demacy

We should only be so lucky

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Uncharted 2 came with Nates necklace w ring is my favorite, that or Dr Youngs journal from the arkham asylum set. Now the one I wish I could have gotten was the Dragon Age Inquisition tarot deck.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm phone posting from some sort of office purgatory right now so bear with my bad organization (or don't it's cool)

Basically all of the girls are romantic options and no guys are. There's still no choice of protagonist gender in the release version. Then there are the weird sexual situations with the female partly members and s.links. Kawakami and Ann's treatments by the protagonist and party members in light of the first antagonist and dungeon is profoundly bad and creepy, especially since those treatments are unoriginal, played for laughs, and pretty clearly meant to titillate a male audience. At least that's how I see it. So to me, that idea is strongly represented throughout the game.

What really makes me uncomfortable is that there's something about the tone in those scenes and in the game overall that makes me think the intended audience are older than the party members, so the sexual exploitation and abuse of minor high schoolers by adults in positions of authority is being played off for the enjoyment of adults. The veneer of one exploiter's punishment provides plausible deniability to the audience that they're not enjoying the sexual harassment and assault of kids, they're just vicariously living out the fantasy of hot for teacher and the near blackmail of a hot blond schoolgirl by someone we're supposed to sympathize with.

That does sound pretty creepy. All I knew was after how weird they treated homosexuality in P4
and then no signs it had gotten better in P5 I'm glad I skipped it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sunning posted:

The type of players who dislike or outright hate lootboxes are people on forums like these who grew up paying $50-$60 single-player games and feel increasingly marginalized with where the gaming industry is going.

Yeah :( This is me and I have such anger about my toy hobby

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chumbler posted:

I'm still boggled by how the discussion surrounding dlc and loot boxes apparently needs more nuance than "Replacing a system where you purchase a thing with a system where you purchase a chance at that thing or nothing at all is a lovely, anticonsumer move regardless of what that thing is, which no other industry is allowed to do."

I wonder what will come out from AC Origins having game content literally locked out if you don't do a gamestop preorder, though. Probably nothing.

Wasnt the Harley Quinn dlc in Arkham Whatever a pre order bonus or something?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

oh I thought 12 was the mmo for some reason

It had the mmo like maps/battle system, easy mistake

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

oh i guess I havent played 11 but even as someone who can tolerate some MMO time every half a decade my understanding is that XI is just rear end in a top hat.

It has hardcore fans like Eve has, in that it was the most grognardiest poo poo and goshdarnit, people liked it that way.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

internet osmosis has given me a bit of an idea about 8 and 9 but all the double digit final fantasies are a big mystery lump to me. I know the new one is 15 and you drive a product placement porsche and eat food

edit: 13 has the girl named lightning as the main character and is kind of like mass effect maybe?

Yes 13 had lightning, not so sure about the mass effect comparisons. It and it's two sequels are just Final Fantasy as gently caress.

9 is great and, while I love 8 it's divisive.

oddium posted:

phone gaming violates the laws of man, and god

I would have agreed had Hasbro not released an actually really loving good mobile Clue game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

corn in the bible posted:

all white people are nazis apparently

Didn't you get the memo?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Bethsoft really are embracing the unintentional political statement they've created here. Good on them for it I guess but boy I really would like to know if it's a good game or not, and not their stance on nazis, because something tells me I already am aware of how they feel about them

I read an article about how since the game was made before Charlottesville, it's really the marketing team responsible for the promos, so not necessarily bethsofts doing. It's still hilarious that it brought the 'keep politics out of my games' dumbasses out of the works.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chumbler posted:

The highest tier properties are old SNK stages.

Rival Schools needs a new installment :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mordja posted:

No, I'm talking the TT game.

Like Shadow Wars or Hong Kong or the physical tt game?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
https://mobile.twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/921317079373971456

I'll miss this Twitter :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

food court bailiff posted:

every nintendo ecosystem is unique and nothing crosses over, if you get upset about this nintendo will send you a copy of nintendogs, let you get attached to your dumb virtual doggo, then have it shot in front of you for your obvious lack of faith

e: also what games are actually available for both platforms other than BotW?

It's the epitome of :psyduck:

• Locked thread