Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Hey gamedevs, I'm perfectly okay with Phoenix wright bloops. Especially if it means more games.

I actually prefer bloops over voice acting most of the time. A lot of game dialogue comes down to reading text while the characters do a canned animation; adding voice acting to that just feels so sluggish since you can read the text in less than half the time it takes for them to read out. Voice acting during gameplay and important emotive moments, text everywhere else imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Starcontrol 2 is one of those old games I feel that I should play but can never be bothered to go through the effort to acquire and set it up.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net

It's pretty straightforward. Try it! It's great!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

Thanks ESRB... :|

Is there anything like this in real world gambling, stuff where you'll always get a prize but chances are the prize is lovely but by getting a prize it can get around the whole "this is gambling" thing?

I know some carnival/theme park games will do this, participation prizes and the like, but I can't think of anything large scale off the top of my head.

I'm curious about this too. It's difficult to search for, though, since "guaranteed payout" is used for the percentage a slot machine has to pay out, so I'm not sure how to see if anyone's tried doing this.

Like, going by what the ESRB says, slot machines aren't gambling as long as they dispense literal garbage if they aren't giving money. I wonder if the ESRB is actually aware of how the Steam marketplace means these things have actual monetary value.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 11, 2017

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phantasium posted:

That begs an interesting question, what's the biggest or longest chance you've given a game before dropping it?

I’ve put hours and hours into lots of 4X/Grand Strategy games trying to figure out what it is they all seem to do that kills my interest and hoping for one that’ll finally grab me. I still don’t know, though creating a species in Stellaris is the most fun I’ve had with one.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

will it have jump physics that don't suck this time

I want to say yes, but I can't find a project update that says so. You can jump on/off the middle of ladders, though. They're also making the map progression less absurdly open to make it harder to get hopelessly lost, but they'll put in sequence breaks for the people who want that kinda stuff.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
An amusement park. Every game would be better with an amusement park level.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

Imagine paying $60000 for headphones that still have the same build quality of a $100 headset

Imagine paying another $14,000 for a bronze bust of Ubi's memorable new protagonist so you have a place to put that headset.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

:yeah: :rock: :woop:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

it does legit surprise me that my lazyboy or recliner or whatever we call them now is less ergonomic/confortable than even my cheapest computer chair

I borrowed a padded metal folding chair from my roommate and I loved it so much that I traded my old Laptop for it. Still usin that sucker at my desk right now.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Has Mario always been this expressive since the days of Sunshine and Galaxy and I just never noticed

Nah, one of the most appealing things about the first Odyssey trailer to me was how much more expressive, fun and cartoony Mario was than he’s been in the “New” era. It reminds me of those recent Mickey Mouse shorts that felt like they were having fun with the character again.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tbh I was not expecting a Mario game to have the best photo mode of the year

Mario can’t blow kisses which is a big point in Hat in Time’s favor. But then Mario can wear swim trunks and a cowboy hat so maybe the true lesson is that every game needs a photo mode.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I liked Tooie a lot, honestly. The unskippable cutscenes were trash garbage and probably ensure I couldn't stand playing it today, but I liked how sprawling and interconnected the world was and how long it took to get certain jiggies; it made them feel really special and satisfying to finally get. The interconnected world also let me plan out my route between levels to be as efficient as possible which is something I've always loved doing.

The Colonel posted:

like i'm gonna be honest. i got 101% in dk64. but by the end of tooie, i was too loving tired. dk64 is tedious but it always sort of almost feels like you're doing something??? tooie is simpler but, you spend so much time walking and watching cutscenes, and area transitions somehow feel like they take way longer than kazooie or dk

I guess I can understand this, but... man, so many of DK64's bananas were basically "switch to monkey, pound on switch with monkey's face on it, banana appears somewhere arbitrarily". And all of the levels were rooms connected by hallways with almost no landmarks to navigate them by. And there were two ability upgrades that were solely to let you hit different colored switches, like holy moly. They did that crap in Star Fox Adventures, too! A ground pound upgrade was the last thing you got in that game! Getting a new ability is one of the coolest things in a game and Rare made the last one the most boring thing possible.

Internet Kraken posted:

Using this to get moons you're supposed to be using capture abilities to reach is weirdly satisfying.

Its impossible to bounce off your cap more than one in a single jump though right?

They specifically catered to this kinda stuff, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a382dmNvRXs

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished Steamworld Dig 2, that was a fun little game and I'll happily buy anything those guys make from now on. I'm only slightly miffed that it's possible to completely run out of gems to sell thus making it impossible to buy all the upgrades. I only needed one more drat it.

You could maybe grind blood gems for that last one?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

oddium posted:

in my hands, spelunky man did everything he could possibly do in life, including the eggplant kill. let him rest

The canon Spelunky Man survived his very first foray into the caves, having few problems with every one of his ordeals. His daughter's gonna die wondering why it was so difficult. :C

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The true legends:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't know when the ironic unironic "gex x bubsy" shipping thing happened in LP but I know that that was at least a small contributing factor to this weird bubsy fangame thing.

It started on Chipcheezum's Gextra Life stream, I think.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

LawfulWaffle posted:

I owned this and I feel that it needs to be seen in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATW5uBC62vE

Those guys understood the true power of Mode 7.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Bluehole is such a dissonant-sounding name for a company, it just seems so obvious it was made by someone whose primary language was not English

When people hate them they nickname them stuff like "Blueballs" and it's like... that way less filthy than the actual name sounds, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

What, you don't like the edgy transphobic Bubsy?

I had blissfully forgotten about it completely so all this has gotten me rather miffed.

• Locked thread