Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The OP is extremely good I love boos!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

All that being said, my next game will probably be Tales of Berseria despite never having played a Tales game before so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite

hello it's me your friend and let me tell you tales of berseria is GOOD

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FauxLeather posted:

I'm playing a truly Spooktober Frightfest of a game: Kirby's Adventure.
This is my first foray into Kirby games, can't believe they've eluded me for so long. Tryna go chronologically so I tore through Dreamland before this. The biggest surprise, next to how well made both of these games are, was that Dreamland didn't even have the copy ability.

I'm still impressed by how dang good looking Kirby's Adventure is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I forgot where I read this but Ubisoft has anti-high fantasy development culture, that's why Assassin's Creed continues its simulation meta-narrative framework and even their knights vs. samurai vs. vikings fightman game still bothers explaining it with an alt-timeline portal. BG&E2 if it ever gets released will be their most fantastical IP in a very long time.

What about child of light

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Hello chat thread! As it is now October, I can ask my question that I really hope to hear your answers to.

What is your perfect game, and why?

Not favourite game, but perfect game. (Unless your favourite is perfect!).

Mine is Portal2.
Everything about it is made for me. The game is my level of difficult, my level of engaging storyline and humour. I love the way the tale unfolds and how much of it does. I love that is treats me intelligently. I love the voice acting (Stephen Merchant is inspired and one of my favourite comedians) and feel it is pitch perfectly delivered. I love the structure of the story and the end and I just cannot stop loving on it. I love the music!

I thought the first portal was fine. Not astounding, but great fun and a nice little diversion.

Portal2 sang to me as someone who enjoys video games. It just causes me to gush. I've even sent gushing emails to some of the people who worked on it!

Kirby Super Star

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

what about THIS

Why is daisy on there

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Bloodborne is perfect because it lets me select "play offline" on the main menu. Also because it's really good.

it's not on pc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I enjoy ice physics in platformers and think they generally add to the experience

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The lingo in Life is Strange makes a lot more sense when you look at this pic I found of the writing team

At least half the posters in this thread would wear that shirt

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

They're all great except for black gulch

Black Gulch is short enough to work well imo and I really dig the aesthetic. I also think the slow descent into the Gutter owns and in general enjoy the torch/darkness stuff, even if it wasn't as fully realized as people hoped

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

The gutter is excellent, but black gulch is just too short and easy. It feels more incomplete than Lost Izalith.

It'd be a better zone if there wasn't a bonfire at the beginning. If you had were forced to go through it immediately after the gutter it'd be more exciting but as it is if you screw up too much you can just restart and only lose 10 feet of progress.

Farron keep is one of the better parts of the game, the only bad part is those lovely enemies that do that janky jump and claw your head off.

The density of the statues is important for good GameFeel but because of that, I think making the area any larger would just be frustrating

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i got the gold gem on motherfucking cerberus alpha haha hell loving yes nothing can stop m

oh

If you got the gold against cerberus alpha then the only thing you have to worry about is the sports festival. You can do it!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'm both relieved and disappointed that none of the other bosses in mischief makers are nearly as ridiculous and loving hard as cerberus alpha

It's impressive to me that, despite not being anywhere near as difficult as noted Best Boss, all of the bosses are extremely satisfying to fight. Mischief Makers managed to wring a ton out of its simple central mechanic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

Not quite. His missiles are unpredictable but you can shake a missile to blow through them all. And you can grab his charged shot and he'll wait until you throw it at him.

I'll say he's just long. Dude takes more hits than any other boss so there's less room to gently caress up. Like first thing I do is hop on a missile and I'm good after that.

The second phase, when his bike's in the background, was always the trickiest for me

Mr.Kattykat posted:

Tried playing a bit of Smash Bros Brawl again since I haven't touched it in like five years. When you're doing well in a battle the crowd starts chanting the character's name, and if you play as Snake they go, 'Snake, Snake, Snakeeeee!'; it's a neat touch that I hadn't noticed before

There are no bad smash bros

Help Im Alive posted:

The B button should be a little Samus helmet

Samus in morph ball!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat the metroid robot. Tooka while cause circle pad is bad but at least it was a unique encounter for a game with painfully bad enemy variety

Gonna finish the game soon but right now i think its a really weak metroid game. And a really uncomfortable game to play in general

The 3DS is uncomfortable in general

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
rip chip

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Zoe Quinn is doing a book talk at my bookstore and I really hope nobody awful shows up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Healbot posted:

So you aren't going? :thunk:

I am going and you're rude!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

FF9 is extremely sick.

:yeah:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's like gambling for kids, except the payout is being able to brag to your friends

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Me, the sphinx: what is kingdom hearts

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

megid- spells aren't blocked by magic mirror. i have the resources, the spells, the levels, the defenses, everything i need to fight it. the point is that i'm just not willing to spend the effort necessary to fight a boss where only half my party gets to attack because you have to heal twice every round the rng decides to use it.

with this boss, the illusion is stripped away and p3 has just stopped being fun and if you aren't playing video games to have a good time then why are you playing video games

Strategy in persona 3 and 4 seems to revolve around either trial and error until you stumble upon a weakness in encounters, or just spamming attacks and buffs in boss battles

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Capitalism? More like sapitalism, am I right fellas

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, it has 4 big puzzles with a boss after, not quite the same thing.

The shrines are closer to dungeons than the beasts are, and they're still not quite the same thing. They're too short and self-contained. Dungeons are all about playing on a theme and building lessons or using a tool in consistent and new ways.

Fighting the bosses has nothing to do with beating the puzzles... etc.

Would you have liked it more if like, all the cryo shrines were in one place and connected?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

tactics ogre advance?

I take it all back, you're an alright poster

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To be perfectly honest, it's because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and haven't really played a Zelda game since Link to the Past. So I was hoping for some nostalgia to overwhelm me and/or to experience a "Core" Nintendo game for the first time in a long time. There was also perhaps some hope that something would click eventually, especially because the game's defenders like to characterize those who didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild along the lines of "lacking imagination" or "unable to enjoy the little things" or "need games to hold their hand" and I don't want to think I'm like that but I guess I am.

Don't let gamer culture win! You're not a flawed individual for not liking something (unless it's Kirby Super Star)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm playing Silent Hill Shattered Memories and I can't tell if the wiimote audio is supposed to be spotty and garbled or if the speaker is just old and lovely

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

It's dumb to argue if something is or isn't art because a meaningless designation like that shouldn't affect your enjoyment of it or any meaning you find in it. That said ET for the Atari was less creatively bankrupt than that poo poo Rupi Kaur is lauded for

I've heard Milk and Honey described as poetry for people who don't read poetry, which kinda seems unnecessarily snobby. Haven't checked out her new collection yet though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Why is Mega Men Legends called Rock Man DASH in Japanese when he moves pretty slowly in it? 🤔

Rock Man Digouter's Adventure Story in Halcyon Days

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

but i love secret of mana :(

but what about sword of mana

song of mana?

shadows of mana

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

How many of them are nazis? this is really important as to whether or not I buy it because it's a hot button topic in the political climate these days and that influences my video game purchases a lot

There's never not a time when I want to shoot nazis but I definitely wanna shoot them a whole lot more right now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I remember Nintendo Power having an article on this, it looked neat. That treasure island esque snes game with the three different boys too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It sucked whenever it was trying to be funny but was alright otherwise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey everybody, since we're talking about mediocre games that you like/don't like, I thought maybe I'd ask a question.

What's your favorite game that you realize is mediocre or otherwise not noteworthy or is outclassed by other games? Something that people generally shrug off but you enjoy it regardless? Why do you like that game?

For me, it'd be Torchlight 2. I enjoyed the first Torchlight a lot and I've noticed in the past year or so a lot of people dismissing 2 and saying that it is a bad game (or at least a very "meh" game). It has its flaws, sure (iirc, on higher difficulties you can get one-shotted by enemy critical hits with no way to get around it other than "be an engineer"), but I like the aesthetic and moddability and just running around with some friends and clicking on stuff to smash them until they explode.

There are other games I enjoy that are seen as being :mediocre: but I figure I'll just write about that one for now.

Lost Kingdoms 2. It's From cashing in on the early 2000s card game craze but it's still a slow action rpg like their other output

Joe and Mac 2. Caveman and dinosaur platformer. Final boss is bullshit

Odin Sphere (the original)

All of the 3D bombermans (64, Hero, Second Attack, Generations, Jetter)

Star Fox Assault

Custom Robo (on the gc)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stexils posted:

i love really stupid weapons. what's the stupidest weapon a video game character uses?

*posts Square Enix's gameography*

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Zoe Quinn seems pretty cool and chill

Or at least, as chill as one can be after having their life implode

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whatever happened to Geno

Nobody ever wonders what my boy Mallow is up to :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
People who prefer fire2 and fire3 to fira and firaga blow my mind

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

homeless snail posted:

you ever play the pee game where you circle your hands around your pee stream and tighten them in more and more without getting your hands wet. that's a pretty scary game but I win it every time

Your hands are saturated in subatomic piss particles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

"Nobody will care about the roster in a crossover game, which is always defined by its roster." -Capcom, wisely

Well Fire Emblem Warriors is apparently pretty good

• Locked thread