Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

power users don't know about tab completion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Last Chance posted:

the gamecube controller is the best, most comfortable controller ever designed

lol no the z trigger is actively painful to use

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the one with the letter Z molded into it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, if you give them $49 per year, they allow you to use animated custom emoji

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

who is buying chromebooks anyway?

schools, the elderly, people who want a portable web browse with a non-poo poo keyboard

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

not much you can do about that now that the signal is compressed

edit: well, except putting two additional tuners in the box that aren't used for anything at all except making channel surfing fast

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does anybody actually turn on their TV with the intent to just see what's on anymore?

that seems very much like an elderly activity

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PyPy posted:

Is the new windows still free?

Microsoft won't just give it to you for nothing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

apparently that disability thing expired on december 31 so :rip:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

That wasn't free either, you already had to have a Windows

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

one neat trick to alienate your customers on metered internet connections

it is not Microsoft's fault that ISPs are lovely rent-seeking monopolists

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

for a brief moment, MSN was an Explorer shell extension and behaved like any other folder hierarchy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

microsoft natural ergonomic keyboard 4000

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you forgot the Nazis

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

people upgraded to Windows 10 because they knew that Microsoft would abandon 7 as soon as possible

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

hey speaking of excel check this out:
open excel
make a new tab
enter some data
undo a change
delete a tab

if you performed a redo operation at this step, what do you think is going to happen

guessing:

it changes the contents of the cell you altered in the now-deleted tab on the current tab

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dongslayer. posted:

but video games

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998%2C996&os=mac%2Clinux&filter=topsellers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

lmao who the gently caress does this

old people pass around the dumbest possible iOS "tips" and gently caress up their phones and then forget that they hosed up their phones and bitch about how their phone doesn't work

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lambert posted:

It's a great new feature, but goddamn is that UI amateur hour

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

is this the gnome volume control? for whatever reason on the install of fedora i was using that top bar of tabs had a scrollbar hiding literally one extra tab that happened to contain the audio device switcher that i needed to make the audio work. admittedly I'm a loving idiot but that legit took me almost an hour to figure out. that windows one is ugly as sin but i don't think i would have wasted that much time on it

no, this is PulseAudio Volume Control. the GNOME audio settings control panel is a simplified version that doesn't have per-application audio routing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

computer touchers know how the computer works and expect it to keep working the same way unless there's a drat good reason for it to change and the end result is a blatantly obvious improvement

non-computer touchers find their computers to be a confusing threatening incomprehensible mess, so if everything changes for no loving reason, well, that's just computers being computers, they didn't understand how it worked before, they don't understand how it works now, and its all the same to them

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eric posted:

why does the xbox division exist anymore?

its the version of windows that they lust after -- only Microsoft approved software, and they take 30% of the gross

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSpkM3-A6ys&t=8858s

I cued it up to the only important announcement.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

remember when usb-c came out and if you bought a cheap cable your phone would get destroyed and some google engineers posted spreadsheets to show you which ones wouldn't blow up

remember when the same thing happened with DisplayPort cables?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DisplayPort is powered on both host and device side, proper cables don't connect those pins. Lots of Chinese factories didn't read the spec.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lysidas posted:

kde did the "sets" thing years ago, and it worked perfectly, i think they just abandoned it because it wasnt very useful, i dont think it made it into plasma 5

historically X applications didn't draw their own title bars, that was a function of the window manager and the window manager could do whatever the hell it wanted like stick multiple tab widgets in a window frame and map and unmap client windows at will

unfortunately, separating the application drawn window and the window manager drawn window frame introduces a race condition where resizing the frame happens asynchronously to the resizing of the contents and everything looks like poo poo so the modern thing is for apps to draw their own window frames

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does Game Mode do anything?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

it doesn't prevent system notifications from appearing over top of the game, if that's what you mean

this is exactly what I meant and also exactly the answer I expected

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I love clicking the help icon in a program and all it does is do a web search on that topic lmao

using bing, to add insult to injury

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

microsoft's lazy clone of facebook is called so.cl

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

as terrible as 10's UI changes are over 7, it has a lot of good security improvements under the hood

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

brap posted:

I was writing a post about how you should choose win10 but then I ran out of time before my scheduled update and restart

your system administrator knows that security updates don't take effect until you reboot for their installation

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

involuntary

reboots

are

inexcusable

if you don't reboot, the security update doesn't get installed

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

Do you have any idea how much development time they save by putting a single try/catch around the entire codebase

too lazy to even stringify the exception and display that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Word: also bad

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1039348980369502208

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you’re supposed to know what the Linux commands do

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Oh good we're back to the XP days of install RaZoRz xTrEmE c0D3c P4k

itym the Windows 8 days of "we don't want to pay the DVD licensing fees if we don't absolutely have to"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lambert posted:

Snip & Sketch doesn't have window snip, full screen snip and is missing the time delay option. Why would you replace your existing tool with a new program that's worse. I guess that's why they didn't simply update/replace the existing tool.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft Windows 10 build 1810 release notes:
* Removed incorrect "All your files are right where you left them" message

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

what is the purpose behind the microsoft line of computers? is it just to show the work that if you throw resources and a thimble of passion behind something you can get not terrible laptops?

nah, that was the point of the Microsoft Signature Experience or whatever they called it, where they took PCs from HP or whomever and removed all the preinstalled garbage to demonstrate that it was possible for already existing PCs to not be terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's a backface culling / anal sex joke here but I just can't find it