Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vs code is good because it's one of the only GUI text editors that is the same on all operating systems

i mean what are your other options - gvim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

it's a good talk but god drat does he come across like he's smarter than anyone who builds things because he can tear them down

he wrote a Linux bsp for the PS4 without documentation which sounds like it was quite the undertaking

then again with Sony it may have been harder to do with the documentation than without...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

sometimes I wonder if microsoft even knows that most of the stuff people put in spreadsheets isn't numbers

it may be literally impossible to fix if the right vp or product manager has a strong opinion about it

see also: outlook and ctrl f

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

#1 is python as an alternative to vba lmao

it qualifies as “literally anything else” so I guess I’m for it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

that was in there but unbelievably "has anyone ever in the history of this program existing ever pasted in data with formatting except by accident?" was not

yes but only if it’s another excel document

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

this site has three different icons for visual studio code, none of which are the right one

Microsoft understands Linux

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I don't think long paths have been an actual issue for a long time now

lol @ using a microsoft account as a windows login though

it and paths with spaces in their names is still a problem for a lot of command line stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Microsoft doesn’t test or debug so I don’t know why you’d pay extra for their tools to do that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

was weird enough that i ended up investigating a bit: it is not actually their binary, it is a licensed copy of mathtype, and one presumes that the dessci was either being difficult about it or had actually lost the code

that’s interesting. it’s also possible that they had the source but lost something required to build it. it’s a third party tool they licensed so it wasn’t necessarily built with vc6

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

maybe just maybe it's time to put equation editor out to pasture

you trust modern ms to make something backwards compatible with all .doc files? if not old unpatched versions will have to be floating around on people’s computers waiting to be exploited

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Celexi posted:

zune v 2334444 dies

playsforsure*

*no longer plays

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

wtf everything was in my recycle bin

the outlook way of storing things

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

i'm genuinely interested in the tech behind controllers and have been since i unplugged my atari controller and wondered why they needed eight pins for four directions and a button

presumably: up, down, left, right, button, vdd, gnd, either another gnd or nc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

I would watch that TV show if the people making the show were doing it to make fun of them

hosted by snoop, but notch and moot can’t tell they’re being made fun of

https://twitter.com/SnoopDogg/status/637666358751133696

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

lol if you aren’t emailing people outside your organization 10 times a day

customers and suppliers are a thing nerds

but those you already have a relationship with should be added to your address book so go into the inbox

could work if you do continue to skim that external box a couple times a day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft won't just give it to you for nothing.

apparently that disability thing expired on december 31 so :rip:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a windows on something somewhere

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

can’t believe trump jumped straight to war crimes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

remember when Microsoft paid Delta to use a bunch of surface tablets and phones MS couldn’t sell? let’s see how that’s going

e.pilot posted:

The Surface is literally the worst piece of modern tech I've used.

It freezes
it's slow
brightness controls in windows are literal garbage, darkest setting is too bright at night and the lightest setting is nearly unreadable during the day
the multitouch isn't even on par with the original iphone
it doesn't wake probably 30% of the time when I need it to
the screen doesn't orient properly probably 50% of the time when I wake it up, and good luck getting it to without rebooting it
cellular and wifi drop CONSTANTLY and won't come back without a reboot
so many problems with cellular the company has issued mobile hotspots to all (400+) aircraft to use on the ground

these aren't issues limited to just mine either, literally everyone has these issues
but yeah, saving money over iPads :negative:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

r u ready to WALK posted:

And the iPad can't run the flight manual software that one "tech savvy" employee wrote in visual basic 20 years ago and that has never been updated after he quit

Microsoft dumped the ARM surfaces on Delta and had to pay Jeppesen to port their software

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

r u ready to WALK posted:

The first 5 minutes of eve valkyrie is insanely cool and atmospheric, but then it's a giant disappointment when you realize there's no single player campaign and just a bunch of random skirmishes with little variety and it gets old really fast.

I want a VR remake of the old space opera classics like Freespace 2

Lets hope the windows AR hype keeps VR on life support long enough for the hardware to get better.

not everything can be exciting as eve online’s spreadsheets, mining and gate sentry duty

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

one neat trick to alienate your customers on metered internet connections

they have a product for them it’s the Xbox 360

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that was their response for deployed troops

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you can’t use the Ubuntu on Windows thing on ltsb

you also can’t install docker for Windows because of that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Why are people bringing up use cases that aren't relevant

Shocking: don't use ltsb when you shouldn't use ltsb

the use case is my work laptop which inexplicably has ltsb on it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Definitely take out your anger on MS and not the it team that can't keep up with W10 servicing for laptops

i mean MS isn't helping the issue: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information

also this came up at a microsoft azure training even where one of the steps was to install docker. i've never heard a louder sigh after the MS rep looked at winver

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

original idea do not steal

doesn't ring a bell

there we go

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

univbee posted:

what do you do on enterprise ltsb for a calculator? do you straight-up need a third party solution?

calc.exe is there

source: my company's it inexplicably deploys laptops on ltsb

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ltsb is supposed to be for embedded systems, the one intended for enterprise laptops/desktops is "current branch for business" https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i just want the linux subsystem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

considering how obvious a shitshow the current state of iot is this actually seems like a really good plan by microsoft

in that it is obviously a trick to lock functioning iot into talking to azure by default

its based on a loving cortex a7

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

microsoft account i thought, probably an ancient msn messenger account or something

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

nb: eric lundgren is a bullshitter

everyone needs to click through to this, this is bitcoiner level "mycrimes.pdf"

the email on page 18-19 is amazing for example

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

too much stuff on his desktop so windows gave up

a good feature imo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no loving way^M
^M
this is amazing^M

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wow i'll definitely make sure and look at these things the next time i go to a microsoft office to be trained on their linux offerings

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

ms laid off their xbox support team and replaced them with volunteer "ambassadors"

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/29/17406254/microsoft-layoffs-twitter-support-xbox-ambassadors

didn't some mmo get into trouble with violating labor laws when they "hired" volunteer GMs or some such?

wait, trump is president, nevermind

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NEED MORE MILK posted:

offical microsoft statement released

just subcontract it through IBM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the gpo has defined behavior, the registry is undefined and can change at any time without warning

if this was the win95 days when MS spent a ton of time maintaining compatibility with programs that used hacks or private APIs or whatever then that’d be one thing but current MS can barely manage to not break their documented stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I mean, that's technically true but GPOs are just protected reg keys that map to the standard ones and the GPO template defines that mapping. They can break in the same way that anything else can.

in theory microsoft tests the GPOs

of course they don't test anything anymore so i guess it doesn't matter