Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

has Microsoft done anything relevant in the last decade?

I was going to say WPF but that is eleven years already, wowsers. So I'll say they've raised some good discussion with Edge and web standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If his excuse is real that is some classic Windows IT bikeshedding. Lock down random functions in Edge but allow downloading of running of any executables. Microsoft hasn't managed to progress from: security & usability pick one.

One hopes Microsoft will not just internally ban Chome and be dipshits because the presenter would just have to cancel the presentation.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 1, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

.net is the runtime not a language, you can already use many different languages on the .net CLR, Microsoft publish a few like C#, managed C++, and F#.

In terms of alternative runtimes I think there has been a lot of research trying to support multiple inheritance but idk what came of it.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 7, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i know their engineers have but what about the company itself?

Microsoft officially supported Iron Python from what I can google, BofA like using that for some of their desktop apps. Does that count?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

linky.

Will people continue to use Named Pipes? Depends on the performance. Is Poll still poo poo?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks like I've found my next mouse, my current Razer DeathAdder thing has decided to double click if the AC is not turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4muQs733bk

Only $22 on Amazon too, hoot.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 30, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/EliLanger/status/1029371689589768192

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

univbee posted:

this tweet but the exact opposite for my experience with teams, which we'll probably be dropping

Microsoft is the pinnacle of works-on-my-machine -only.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

DNS with split-VPNs is inherently dubious, you need domain routing like dnsmasq (as found in pfSense) attempts to offer so you can force internal domains over the VPN. It's not really a well defined area.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 24, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks like you may have to use Acrylic on Windows as an alternative to dnsmasq for such configurations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

just got this notification while gameing

Had one player in Overwatch comp disappear for a while in the middle of a game, Windows had decided to install updates and reboot. Nice!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

the only real use case for 64-bit office is if you need an excel spreadsheet with a billion rows and columns

The use case is to protect yourself from crappy 32-bit plugins, because barely no plugins exist for 64-bit.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

When I see the headline "Surface Pro 6 a bajillion percent faster" I can only think how much they must of hosed up with the previous models as it's definitely not Intel getting off their lardy rear end and making things better.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

USB-PD for charging seems a sensible approach, Microsoft just love dongles more than Apple I guess. Proprietary power connectors should die already.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/patrickkettner/status/1047279743194652672

I saw this, updated, tested, and it's lies :colbert:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Rex-Goliath posted:

also now that crashplan is abandoning its consumer support what's the yospos recommended backup provider?

I went with Carbonite, but it is rather lame. It doesn't appear to detect sleep or network disconnections properly and sits not backing up for weeks. There was an update yesterday that decided to prompt and pester like an Oracle update. I kind of like that it doesn't back up every retarded file that software loves to constantly update but provides no value whatsoever, compared to Backblaze which advertises that as a feature.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

is the classic intellimouse (2018) any good

It's pretty nice, basic packaging with no lovely extras like the "Intellimouse" crap that they used to ship. Only about $20 when it first appeared on Amazon.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yes clearly they should have deployed it on a desktop linux which would lose support after a year and never update

Signage TVs running Linux is usually the way to go, what's odd is that commercial TV hardware is really expensive but the software which can be managed over the Internets is crazy cheap to run. You can even get signage hardware & software from CDW and pay like only $20 above wholesale price.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's great to use Windows 10 error messages on Linux TVs as everybody will always blame Microsoft instead.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

And before anybody points it out again I did fix the "1 seconds", I just haven't taken a new photo.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pseudorandom name posted:

oh, the answer to my question was even funnier than I could have imagined

for those of you not following along, they actually tried to dynamically generate the QR code which puts them ahead of Microsoft but they planged it

It's the Error type, source file, source line of the Babel compiled JavaScript. Alas this TVs don't support source maps yet, these are circa Safari 6.0 applewebkit based browser engines.

Usually I can get a photo when something crashes so this works pretty ok.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So new news, MS opening up more stuff. Now WPF, Windows Forms, and WinUI are set free, will anything update on any Linux desktop?

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/12/04/announcing-open-source-of-wpf-windows-forms-and-winui-at-microsoft-connect-2018/

idk, if MS are using these technologies to build Outlook 2016 I don't think it changes anything. Outlook is no better than Netscape 1 on HP/UX in Motif for how impressively slow and bad at painting it has become.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The entire OData spec is amazingly dumb, and the odata.org website remains impressively incomprehensible.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

holy :lol:, everything Michaelsoft removes from Chromium

no.1: safe browsing

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It’s a joke because they meant “Safe Browsing” service by Google but they removed “safe browsing” and added loads of security defects, hurr durr.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Spellcheck service and remote dev tools are unfortunate, the former because it only exists because Windows spellcheck is not good, and the latter is saying bye bye to embedded platforms. IE has worked on their tools a lot, is there a remote option if you were working on Windows embedded or their non-existent mobile platforms?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So you have to open the phone and flip over in order to take a call? Even Samsung managed to “innovate” a solution for that.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does Microsoft use any third party hosting for redundancy like Apple?

Azure has had zero globally redundant services for so long, I presume microsoft.com and others don't even use it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

infernal machines posted:

they absolutely have global and regional redundancy, it's just that the things that break sometimes mean the redundancy fails too

They had nothing compared to Route 53 for a long time, only intra-Region redundancy: you can create a load-balancer but it only balances in that region. So if the region hosting the load-balancer dies your redundancy dies. They probably still allow you to create such stupid deployments.

Azure DNS only launched in 2016, whilst Route 53 launched in 2010.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: sure thing,

quote:

Bill Gates thinks Windows Mobile would have beaten Android without Microsoft’s antitrust woes

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/20952370/bill-gates-windows-mobile-android-competition-comments-microsoft-antitrust

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So is Microsoft going to release an EdgiumBook? Satya has mentioned the company is not about Windows anymore and so it would make sense as competition to ChromeBooks.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the only added cost of putting windows on them is the profit microsoft otherwise extracts, so why wouldn't it be windows? chromeos had no differentiating functionality.

In ChromeOS only small things tend to break and updates are almost invisible. It’s also a cloud storage client and Satya will love to get more people hooked into Microsoft services.

I think it would be a pretty smart move as Microsoft experience on cheap hardware is poo poo, and this would raise the bar.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Seen this in the news a few times: Microsoft’s large TV thing canned because they’re terrible programmers.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-isnt-sure-if-itll-ever-ship-surface-hub-2x

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just saw this, :lol: (0:58)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YltHGKX80Y8&t=58s

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Outside of HDCP it could be rendering the video in an overlay, and you need something like Fraps?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If they open up VB6 things will be interesting, in probably bad ways.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Michaelsoft Teams for Gamrs

What a wonderful future.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

what the gently caress is window 10x

Something something Microsoft Edge Book 365 Bing Edition 10X.

Probably the exact reason why it was canned.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Wasn't SQL Server already running and still supported on Core Server? Should there really be any difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

spankmeister posted:

I had a pc with Ubuntu 20.04 on it with no internet that I needed to install a graphical SQL browser on. I used to use MySQL workbench but that's no longer available in the repo's. Next I decided to install DBeaver but it's a snap now and the internal repo doesn't have snaps. So I ended up downloading the deb and sneakernetting it over USB.

Half an hour of wasted time later, I finish installing the deb and all the dependencies (g-d drat Java apps) and finally start up my SQL browser software and connect it to the MariaDB instance.

Syke, no I didn't because it doesn't come with any of the necessary JDBC drivers but don't worry it automatically downloads it from the web! :suicide:

Despite the effort and security holes, phpmyadmin has been amazingly good in my experience. Databases are always a PITA to work with though.