Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows phone now *officially* dead (belfiore announced security updates only, no plans for anything new), but i figure we have largely been over the ways in which microsoft stupidly hosed their own mobile os efforts over again and again, so nothing much to add~~

well, sort of hope that the original wp7/wp8 team got better jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

those dude deffo deserve $5 for that software

p. much this

automatic coordinated updating and reinstalling on new machines with one click are decent bonuses

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

easy to feel sad about it as a monstrous waste of time and resources at least, it wasn't entirely half-hearted, they went back and forth between rather monumental efforts and then periods of bungling

also probably too late for a third platform around now. had one listened to tech journalists it has been forever, but i think it has been the last few years where it has gotten properly tricky. e.g. this morning my primary bank switched their online banking to *require* using their app for authenticating and approving transfers, it exists for ios, android, and, still, windows phone. switching into an ecosystem outside of those three would mean having to switch banks now. i have a few more examples which are similarly restrictive

more than a little sad that the days of new phone platforms are over, the duopoly being fully established

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i am certainly more on the bungling side than the lack-of-apps side here, the 8.1 market share was shaping up nicely, and most really critical apps did make it across in those more optimistic days. my example about my bank very specifically does still have an up-to-date wp app, the point is rather that microsoft has no more chances to make it back when they let such remaining footholds now rot

perhaps the in practice most relevant aspect of the matter, though, is that all of the mobile web will continue down the path of being very webkit-specific, and apps getting built against webkit webviews and electron and so on will continue to be the normal (rather than trying to generalize across a broader web). depending on ones view that may not be entirely bad, but, eh, i doubt it will turn out well in the long run

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the idea that windows is a toxic brand is anecdotally drawn from a bunch of interactions with nerds. microsoft is incompetent, but not too incompetent to keep track of that kind of long-term overarching brand issues

wheany restates the most important thing from another though: internal politics ensures that anything new that starts to work gets ruined by the dysfunction of worse but more politically established groups

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

anyone who doesnt have an instant negative reaction to windows is either broke brained or profits directly from how lovely it is or both

i expect a majority of people would need to be reminded what windows is to have an opinion at all, and quite likely most of those would find it annoying enough to have that minutia explained to them that they would not actually find any time to seek out an opinion to have on windows as such. certainly you'd struggle to have anyone remember any specific fact about xp.

one can always ponder how many people would prefer windows when asked "would you prefer a phone running windows or one running android?". i suspect >50%. though one would of course have to drop all the answers "neither really, i'm getting the new samsung" from the survey, as stuff of that form would no doubt get a plurality

really the same kind of self-importance about nerdy poo poo which makes people attempt to subscribe any consumer electronic success/failure to how the virtual memory manager works (well, generally make out technical details to be a bigger thing than they are)

i mean, seriously, who reads "Windows was always what you got because you couldn't afford a Mac, or because your company was too cheap to outfit you with a Mac, not something you actually chose because you wanted it" and goes "hmm, yes, that is a broadly applicable experience to humanity at large and not at all a nerd making out their vacuous interests out to be important"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

siri more your thing then :mmmhmm:

(yeah, no, gently caress all the things so very non-literally)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

skype used to be a proud baltic sea product at that, before microsoft bought it and promptly did the internal politics dance to it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

drunk, but the baltic sea i think is the term, and skype used to be a swedish/estonian/danish/polish/latvian thing as far as dev went, which encircles an area of water i tried to refer to

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

where partially was something 70%+ afaik

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think the ios app was mostly stockholm area though, so anyone who liked that can feel comfortable with it being the pointlessly more expensive bit of skype

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf that plan makes at least as much sense any other smartwatch plan

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

anthonypants posted:

every linux nerd bashes systemd, but what's the sensible reason to bypass the hdmi interface exposed to the hardware, and instead go from a displayport interface to an external i2c hdmi encoder

iirc some effortpost explained that the external encoder, while equivalent at the time, was prepared to be software update to later versions of the standard (was the big thing there hdr? i don't remember), and indeed was

it certainly strains credulity that sony engineers working on a high-budget design project for a device that is expected to sell in vast numbers would just toss a couple of components onto the bom without checking what the chips they already have on there can do

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

15in Surface Book 2 :jackbud:

"pricing starts at $2499"

yeah, no, i think i will have to give up computing the way pricing is working out

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

super agreed on all the above, but luckily it is still a good talk about a cool project. just consider all the ranting as the flavor it is, rather than factually relevant

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if they for one reason or other could not put both on sata i suspect there is value in itself to limit the hdd a bit. they'll want flexibility in sourcing the part, and having it on usb creates an artificial bottleneck keeping devs from accidentally relying on bursty caches etc. by comparison i assume the bd drive is a sony part and has no such considerations

e: either way, i will bet you heavily smarter people than us spent months with this decision, it was certainly *not* a matter of inattention or incompetence

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

question is, do you actually *want* any of that stuff to change fundamentally? predictability sells for a reason

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm usually pretty good at dreaming up some reasonable explanations for bugs and surprising behaviors, but i am rather drawing a blank on this one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

one of those questions had better be "why the gently caress does excel insist on displaying any large (cc number for example) as scientific notation and why the gently caress can i not turn that behavior off"

setting the number format of the cells to text not working? (and if this is what you always want, making a template where you preset all cells as such) :confused:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

anthonypants posted:

maybe later but not today

also i think if you had the old ubuntu for windows and you install ubuntu for windows from the app store you get two ubuntu for windows installs lol

e: yep two installs

eh, they are loving lazy about these insider-into-release experiences, but the linux subsystem is so good that i'll give them all kinds of passes for not going "man this is a huge hassle, let's eol this thing before cementing it in the support cycle with a full release" (seeing how microsoft has adopted a very google-like attention span this seemed far too likely)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

apple bought the company that made the range sensing tech in the kinect, so they had no means of really continuing it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

or the x1c (lenovo is mostly bad, but the x and t thinkpads are still good)

the x1c is expensive but i maintain it is the actual no-headaches mbp-like on the pc side

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just use 10, come on now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

apple iface is facial recognition where windows hello (atleast on my winphone) is iris scanning. iris scanning would be harder to defeat w/ a twin, where a twin would largely have the same general face. facial recognition is probably faster which is why apple is using it.

windows hello is the collected infrastructure/entrypoints for all kinds of "secondary" authentication if i understand it correctly, so its everything from the pin (which you can set instead of the full password for connected devices), to iris scans (which is poo poo), face recognition, fingerprints, etc.

you, at the very least, get the hello face recognition thing on a lot of laptops these days, requires the addition of an ir camera, but i guess oems just gets a only modestly more expensive camera assembly they drop in for it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I thought they disabled inbound SMB 1 support but still allow it to connect outbound for lovely legacy device support? Or did they not even do that?

iirc it goes: on all clean installs of windows 10 past 1709 it will not install smbv1 (server or client). on upgrades it will keep both client and server, but if they are not used within the first 15 days after the upgrade windows will uninstall them (server and client independently measured and uninstalled). the exception in the upgrade case is in enterprise where there is no such usage check, as microsoft foolishly imagines enterprise installs are being competently managed or some such

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

why is it truncated tho

misguided kissing up to power users who use the terminal (and would be annoyed by the full id there), but then sperg out about the abbreviation as well~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SupSuper posted:

mine is the first five letters of the email address

pretty sure when they first rolled out microsoft logins it was just the first word in your display name though, why change it?

as noted, i am pretty sure it was power users annoyed with being set up with a long user name just because they picked a long name for their microsoft id before that mattered

i sort of suspect that it started out the shortest name unique on the system but satya felt 's' looked unprofessional

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chalks posted:

Visual studio can trigger this issue when downloading nuget packages.

It's absurd that this is still a problem in 2017.

i think it is one of those that's loused up 30 years of applications by being a #define in a win32 header, so you can't just let it loose as it'll be a buffer overflow in everything everywhere

in windows 10 the limit is a group policy, but applications have to opt in via manifest to work with it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i meant the .net umbrella obviously

what i was looking for was whether microsoft experimented with langs like ocaml, delphi, go, rust, lisp, haskell, etc...

i know their engineers have but what about the company itself?

eh, i mean, spj has been at microsoft research since '97 so the haskell cred to some extent exists, f# is an ocaml clone for the .net runtime (and has seen some serious support for something so business-wise minor), delphi is/was entirely proprietary, but also largely windows-exclusive, so i am not sure why or how microsoft would have gotten in there (though interestingly windows was originally heavily pascal-oriented, which lives on in calling conventions still)

lisp was dead before microsoft got going, go i doubt will ever happen (since it's poo poo), and rust is too new for anyone to really know (but i could see that becoming a thing)

meanwhile i think the biggest sort of off-beat language impact microsoft is having is that typescript seems to be winning out among the javascript dialects

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

Real one note is good. One note that comes free in win 8 is bad.

this is true, and importantly: the real onenote is free too, just hit the desktop link on https://www.onenote.com/download

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

didn't even realize offline was an option on windows, always seemed the sync was a rather core aspect of onenote

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

from time to time I wonder if I should finally update to windows 10, surely it must be stable and have the kinks worked out by now

and then every time, someone posts something like this

has been a very long time without anyone posting a horror story about how their gnu/hurd install failed them, so purely statistically it is clearly the best choice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was weird enough that i ended up investigating a bit: it is not actually their binary, it is a licensed copy of mathtype, and one presumes that the dessci was either being difficult about it or had actually lost the code

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

it was probably designed that way so the power brick didn't have to be massive.

or maybe it's limited by whatever you can push though usb-c.

yeah, seems to be this, the power brick pushed 95W and the usb-c max is 100W, should have stuck with the proprietary connector of the previous generations

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

usb-c does 100W so Nah

the 1060 in the surface book is rated for 80w and the i7 for another 25w, so, yeah, that is the limiting factor here

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao gj Microsoft

just gonna keep using my i7 MacBook with a discrete gpu that only needs an 85w charger

uh, congratulations on your slow gpu i guess :confused:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm not seeing why that would be more likely than them using the edge implementation, which works fine

excel uses ctrl+tab to switch between workbooks, which is, i assume, what the tabs will correspond to anyway. i think it does something different in word though, so may indeed be a change (i will toxx myself any day on them stealing ctrl+tab to consistently be to switch tabs in such apps though)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

drm would have carried the day if ubiquitous internet access had arrived earlier, what won the day was convenience, and streaming, being hugely convenient, is clawing the ground back for drm

and, idk, rich white kid issue to worry about, it now feels like

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can't search history in microsoft edge :wtc:

yeah, it is actually really close to great (not least more fluid than the competition, shades of wp history), but it has so many small shortcomings that one would have thought they would have iterated out by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

i wonder why ms keep throwing resources after this when firefox and chrome clearly fill this void

electron is not only way way worse than building the same thing with uwp, but, strategically, adopting it would casually cede a lot of control over the os to google

the browser standalone existing is not as strategically important, but over time it may stem the tide of the web (and then webapps) becoming entirely riddled with webkitisms. beyond that it is also way more fluid in touch, is more battery-friendly, has better stylus integration and so on, and while those are more narrow categories, dropping edge would mean being unable to enter any new market segment like that without google approval