Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

The Management posted:

has Microsoft done anything relevant in the last decade?

Microsoft's hardware division is arguably the source of what we consider a mouse, game controller, ergonomic keyboard, and convertible tablet in the modern era. Same for Xbox Live and many interactive services in general. Goes without saying things like Visual Studio, Office, Active Directory, Exchange/Outlook/Lync, etc. But yeah, all a decade ago at this point.

Modern era? Pushing the modern flat design I guess from the Zune and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 fall creators update still doesn't disable smb 1.0 by default lol

Clean installs no longer have SMBv1, but upgrade installs keep it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows-10-rs3-and-windows-server

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

You can connect to SMBv1, but you can't host it as the server binaries physically aren't there. No idea what the auto-uninstall of the SMBv1 client is, but probably some 30/90/180-day thing.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Knowing Microsoft legacy stuff, I bet the 5 character thing thing comes from a combination of trying to avoid unicode, plus giving a pad area for multiple version of the 5-character prefix, plus some legacy 8-char fun. Account for mjone999, etc.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Big tentpole games from major studios being 70GB+/ea has been a thing for a while now.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i installed the new windows 10.2 update, dont remember what its called on my imac's bootcamp partition. now it can't switch between usb audio headset and the internal speakers properly lol. it always goes to the usb headset no matter what.

i unplug the headset and get no audio at all.

microsoft love linux

Change your default playback and recording device in the sound control panel.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

That depends: Doric, Ionic, or Corinthian?

does corinthian leather count?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

OMG LIEK XBOX HUGE LOL just isn't the meme it used to be.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you mean slack that the discord developers aped 1:1 for the majority of the product lifetime?

There's the whole Cisco Spark thing as well.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

wasn't spark an xmpp client before cisco started using the name

Not sure on the back-end, but Spark and their XMPP client are still separate last I heard. I'd bet on them being merged long-term.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

anthonypants posted:

no, i mean it's completely unaffiliated with cisco https://igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/

Oh, just the name. It's a duplicate name, not sure if there's licensing there or not.

Cisco has both XMPP-based Jabber and Spark, which is what I thought you meant.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

lol thats equal parts sad and funny

somehow wouldn't surprise me if google is paying him $1mm+/yr just to sit on his rear end, keep quiet, and not work for anybody else

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i'm gratified to know that someone somewhere remembers magneto-optical cartridges

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

At least S mode is now an install option on regular SKUs, which is what it should have always been.

What's the situation with private versions of the Store for things like the S version in large companies?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

cortana nightmare fuel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have to pause indexing every time I want to search for something lol

Cortana seems to just be an update/rename of ye olde Indexing Service and even has some of the same long-standing bugs like index DB corruption. 3rd party AV tools loving with it is very much a thing as well.

In legacy Control Panel go into Indexing Options, then go into Advanced options and tell it to rebuild the index.

There's also just nuking the file:
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-change-the-default-search-settings-in-windows-7

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 8, 2018

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

syscall girl posted:

there's an official reason why certain apps (like irfanview) can't keep an association but it's not a good one

which is what?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

carry on then posted:

god i love it when design blind programmers try to talk about visual arts

at least edge and ie get things like 601 vs 709 and full vs standard color space/range right, unlike anything based on chromium/mozilla. safari fixed color handling a matter of months ago in the source tree. if you want to laugh/cry, dig though years and years of chromium/mozilla bug tickets where some pro color guys calls them out on their poo poo, but some random dev goes "looks good to me" and closes the ticket.

seriously, somebody fix this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

which is why it must die