Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Vita Vea is cool and good
Trey Adams is also cool and good

Those are my draft takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Trey Adams tore his ACL and is coming back for his senior year, so scratch him off your 2018 boards.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sad King Billy posted:

....and that isn't including the people who tank at the combine so they don't go to the Browns.

.....and who can blame them?

Nobody actually does this

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sad King Billy posted:

..but it would be the smart thing to do?

To lose money in draft position and get a "lazy" reputation? No, no it would not be smart.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guys let's just ignore Allen struggling to move the ball against the mighty gauntlet of Mountain West defenses, he'll be great at the NFL level because uhhhh tools

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

warcrimes posted:

Lol goons thought Goff sucked

Having one of the worst rookie seasons of all time will do that to a guy's rep

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/932018393456300032

I'm ... not convinced Darnold is an upgrade on Bort.

Not that it matters since the Jags (probably) won't be drafting top-10 for once.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

seiferguy posted:

This looks like a good draft for Seattle to trade down and grab more picks like they always do. They'll probably trade out of the first, get a 2nd and 4th or something, grab an RB or an edge rusher in the 2nd. Their draft is incredibly back heavy, so uh... I hope the UDFA class this year is good!

Agreed on trading down. This is probably a good year to stock up on DBs and start prepping for life after the LOB, especially if Kam's neck is permanently hosed.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

GobiasIndustries posted:

How does the RB depth look this draft? I'm so tired of the Lions having such a garbage-rear end run game year after year after year.

You will spend another second-round pick on a :swoon: SPARQ FREAK :swoon: who can't stay healthy or push a pile to save his life, and you will like it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Josh Allen is going to get multiple people fired in the NFL

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think the situations are comparable. Mayfield may be a dumb party animal, but by all accounts he takes the game seriously and works hard to improve himself on the field. There are reasons to believe he'll mellow with age and maturity.

Meanwhile, Manziel had all the off-field drama and also clearly didn't care about football, never making an effort to fix his bad habits and burning a thousand bridges on his way out of the NFL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Michael Corleone posted:

Literally thought of this like a month ago. So you are going to score from the opponents 47 yard line. Take the touchback and you only need 22 yards. Invest in a good running game, and an elite defense and I think you could go somewhere.

You just described the Ravens

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

GobiasIndustries posted:

Browns picking #1 and #4 officially. Smart choice would be Rosen (providing he doesn't pull an Eli) and...?

They're trading both picks for Alex Smith

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Seahawks don't have a second- or third-round pick so I'll be stunned if we end up drafting at 18

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lamar Jackson dragged a poo poo-rear end Louisville team to 8 wins which is honestly more impressive than anything Darnold did

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
USC has an amazing, storied tradition of great NFL quarterbacks, such as Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, and Cody Kessler. Can't wait for Sam Darnold to join their hallowed ranks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm still trying to figure out the Seahawks' top needs, because a lot will depend on which veterans stay or go.

Tentative list, in order:

OL (duh)
DL (Bennett and Avril are probably gone, Sheldon is a free agent, McDowell might not play a snap, interior pressure has been an issue for years)
CB (Sherman's in his contract year, I'm guessing they give him a chance to come back from the Achilles, but we'll see. Otherwise, pretty bare behind Shaq Griffin)
S (Kam's probably done, who knows what Earl is thinking 3 months from now)
RB (I'm afraid they over-correct and draft a guy too high, but the dumpster-diving method hasn't worked so I expect competition brought in)
WR (The offense desperately needs some big-bodied bullies at wideout, we have too many 5'10 190-pound geeks who can't win contested catches)
TE (Jimmy's probably gone, a glut of JAGs at the position)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In Washington-related news, RB Myles Gaskin decided to come back for his senior year. This surprised me because he already has lots of tread (686 carries in 3 years), could've been a solid 2nd/3rd round type, and his stock probably isn't getting any higher at this rate. Frankly, I think it's a mistake.

On one hand, Washington's gearing up for a Playoff push with a loaded senior class, so I get the sentiment to stick around, but still -- you're an RB, go get paid while you can.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 18, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Judging by the 30+ new posts in this thread and Josh Allen trending on Twitter all morning, I'd say the Mel Kiper mock is accomplishing exactly what they want it to

(Y'all fall for this every year and it never stops being funny)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Broncos are signing Keenum, so that's one team off the QB market

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only thing I remember about Marcus Vick was when he tried to be Mike's hype man on Twitter and everyone was like "lol get outta here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sad King Billy posted:

Questions about rookie contracts.

Is it a fixed term deal, like the 5 years I always hear about?

Or can it be front loaded?

It's a 4-year contract for all rookies, and salaries are set based on their draft position. First-round picks have a team option for a fifth year.

With the new CBA rookie scale, there's basically no negotiating like there was in the old days (unless teams decide to get a bug up their rear end about offset language, which is a whole other can of worms).

• Locked thread