Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This movie looks like poo poo. Was hoping for something a little more character-driven since it's Rian Johnson but judging by the trailer this movie's going to be 90% explosions and second unit footage like the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

General Dog posted:

I can't remember, according to the EU did Palpatine gently caress? Don't tell me about Triclops from those kids books; those are of dubious canonicity.

Nobody in Star Wars fucks. That's why they need clones.

e: on second thought, Jabba fucks

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

UmOk posted:

Think you need to do a rewatch. R2 fucks in almost every movie.

It's been well-established that droids aren't people and R2 is just engaging in a hideous mechanical pantomime of loving

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Darth Insanius is a genuinely better name than "Kylo Ren"

Shouldn't it be "Darth Sanius"?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Maybe the real Luke is the big one and we should actually be talking about Smaller Luke

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Are there dogs in Star Wars?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I have a follow-up question: are there cats in Star Wars?

e: actually, I just remembered AotC.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 18, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Bothans are feline creatures and as such they are conniving fuckers.

Please stick to canon. This is a serious discussion forum.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Filthy Casual posted:

Masturbate IG-88

Bareback a Dewback

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I used think that Empire was merely okay but that the Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City parts were great. Then later I realized that the entire movie takes place on Hoth, Dagobah, and Cloud City.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's obviously "SNOOOKE!"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jivjov posted:

I don't think anyone is saying Han is a violent sexual assualter. The scene just lacks vocalized specific affirmative consent; something we're trying very hard to drill the importance of into society today.

Affirmative consent doesn't have to be vocal, it can be expressed through actions.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Actually, R2D2 is a robot and his beeps don't mean anything. The other characters respond to him like he's talking because they are insane.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Whatever happened to Palpatine's red guards at the end of RotJ? I guess he sent them out of the room when Luke arrived, but surely they didn't go far.

I guess they weren't as dedicated to their boss as Snoke's guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7g8UBN9N8

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism. "Voting with your dollar" is a futile and ethically impotent concept. Acting like going to the theater to see the next Roman Polanski film (which will probably be very good) will have any tangible effect on the intractable primal forces of corruption keeping him out of prison is just the silliest thing. The questions of whether he should be in jail and whether the films he creates have value are completely separate. The only real justice will come when we live in a world where Roman Polanski can get sent to prison despite continuing to be an incredibly profitable director, so it doesn't really matter.

This is basically where I stand, but put more articulately than I can be bothered to.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

UmOk posted:

Are there any obviously perfect films?

The Third Man

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Why would Padme or the Jedi buy Shmi? She's past breeding age and doesn't even seem capable of heavy labor.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

They Jedi themselves were all indoctrinated as toddlers. They have no idea what family means or how "reasonable" it is for Anakin to not want his mom to be a slave.

The Jedi's aloofness leading to the destruction of the Republic is a pretty important theme in the prequels!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

There is way too much Star Wars, this whole thing was a mistake.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

When do we get the Salacious B. Crumb origin movie? What does the B stand for

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

friendly 2 da void posted:

Well I see why Ehrenreich needed that acting coach. He somehow puts the emphasis on the wrong part of every. single. line. It was hard to watch.

I disagree with the countless reviewers who said he bears no resemblance to young Harrison Ford though. He's clearly trying his absolutest hardest to imitate Ford's performance. He's just terrible at it. He was great in Hail Ceasar! so idk what happened here.

The Coens know how to direct actors

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kylo Ren literally says "What do you think of my death star?" at least three times during TFA.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Toxic as gently caress online communication has to be shut down but how? It's everywhere now. There has to be consequences to their actions because right now you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

Moderation, and just don't join communities that don't have it. Social media is brain poison.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Unmature posted:

Hey if you've ever harassed an actor for being in a movie you don't like maybe loving go live in a hole and leave everyone alone you complete waste of space

Don't doxx me

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Everything's gonna be explained in episode 15, don't jump to conclusions before then

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

The constant usage of 'hope' like it automatically makes something deep and meaningful is one of the clunkier parts of the ST. TFA has it, R1 has it, TLJ has it.

"Hope is like the sun. If you only believe in it when you can see it, you'll never make it through the night."

:chloe:

Haha, is that an actual line in a movie?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I mean the idea with the ST is clearly to return to a nonexistent past where Star Wars was, like, pure and mythic.

But even A New Hope took the piss out of the mythic stuff. Obiwan comes across as a charlatan, and Luke’s a dolt.

[Luke awkwardly pulls off his disguise]
Luke: “I'm Luke Skywalker! I'm here to rescue you!”
Princess Leia: “You're who?”

And then Empire’s like “Luke you’re a fuckin dolt.” I pointed this out a long time ago, but Luke’s only major ‘legendary’ accomplishment is blowing up the first Death Star. So why aren’t the baddies fighting tirelessly to assassinate the legendary Lando Calrissian?

Even the Empire understands that trying to hunt down the only black person in the galaxy is a bad look.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HookedOnChthonics posted:

So what is the exact process by which words on a page become irrefutable objective truths of the Star Wars Universe (New Canon)?

Someone who works on the franchise says so. No, not that person! Another person!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jivjov posted:

Well, I guess if you want to look at it that way. But there needs to be someone in charge to keep things consistent

Why? What's wrong with inconsistency?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Could the story group make a story so canon that not even they could retcon it???

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

What I want to know is, what happens if different members of the story group disagree? Do we get some kind of quantum superposition until one of them dies?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

What baffled me is why the red guys were fighting in the first place. Like, Snoke is dead at that point. Isn't Kylo Ren their boss now? Was Snoke their dad or something?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

If Pence murdered Trump in front of the Secret Service, they wouldn't say, "Welp, I guess that's that, Pence is the new boss."

...actually, that might be a bad example. But you get my point.

You'd think the Sith henchmen would be used to apprentices killing their masters. They know what the deal is.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jivjov posted:

They're Snoke's guards. They don't magically switch to following Ben because Ben murdered Snoke

But their job is to protect the Supreme Leader. And the Supreme Leader is Kylo Ren after Snoke gets chopped in half.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The red guys are a bunch of chumps compared to the Axe Gang

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

If “just liking” something is some kind of burn in CDspeak then this place is completely the worst.

Actually, butting into a critical discussion to just say "but I liked it" and demand validation is pretty obnoxious, and you'd probably have a much better time on the forum if you could tone down that habit and engage in other ways

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

At no other point have we seen force users be able to manipulate something as small as the activation button on a lightsaber, and lightsabers are only ever activated after being caught in every other scene and film. I can only conclude that Snoke was actually killed by an invisible assassin.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

jivjov posted:

The story group weighed in by approving the script

How do we know the story group did not approve the script under duress? Surely their positions would be at risk if they were to upset Kennedy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Palpatine disengaged Luke's handcuffs.

That wasn't a force move, it's literally just the same tech as the touch-free wastebasket in my kitchen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Sure, Kurosawa made some good films, but how many memes came out of them?

You could 100% make some great memes out of the facial close-ups in Ikiru