Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Based on a quick perusal of the SC Reddit, the big recent controversy is that volumetric fog has been pushed back in the latest development roadmap. Also, performance is improved in the latest patch but somehow the game- and/or mission-breaking bugs are worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So it's a day ending in "y".

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

eXXon posted:

Based on a quick perusal of the SC Reddit, the big recent controversy is that volumetric fog has been pushed back in the latest development roadmap. Also, performance is improved in the latest patch but somehow the game- and/or mission-breaking bugs are worse.

All they do to improve performance is just cut down the rendering distance of everything to a comical level. So your high poly spaceship is just a pixelated mess until you’re literally right on top of it.

But the Citizenry imagines that groundbreaking backend tech is being developed.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I really really want a programmer who worked on SC to write up a detailed poo poo talk about the code. I want details! Like I want a Fabian Sanglard style book that's just a deep dive on just how broken it has to be.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's called House of Leaves.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

I really really want a programmer who worked on SC to write up a detailed poo poo talk about the code. I want details! Like I want a Fabian Sanglard style book that's just a deep dive on just how broken it has to be.

We haven’t seen much of it, but what we have seen has been fun.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

wdarkk posted:

The parts about Sandi trying to strangle him are the actual surprise. I had no idea about that.

WTF:

quote:

In a court-filed declaration he signed at the time, Roberts said Gardiner had also visited Peterson’s San Diego home and once became violent and tried to strangle him. “I believed that if she had a gun she would have killed me,” Roberts said in the declaration. “I believe that Ms. Gardiner is not emotionally stable.”

Oh, don't mind that woman who stalked my common-law wife and daughter for THREE YEARS

quote:

Roberts reported the incident to police, and a California judge issued a temporary restraining order that required Gardiner to stay 100 yards away from Peterson, who claimed in her temporary restraining order application that Gardiner had been stalking and threatening both her and her daughter for nearly three years.

Man, there's getting back with your ex and then there's this poo poo

Also sandi is...from Australia? I take this as another example of her psychological problems, since some sort of fanatical desire to make yourself over to the point to try and pass as another nationality doesn't seem healthy

I'm now picturing Sandi's private study where she secretly constructs voodoo dolls of Margot Robbie

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EightAce (Or maybe Bootcha, one of the insiders) once mentioned that Sandi comes from serious money, but wouldn't elaborate further because her background was something he felt it wasn't appropriate to get into.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

EightAce (Or maybe Bootcha, one of the insiders) once mentioned that Sandi comes from serious money, but wouldn't elaborate further because her background was something he felt it wasn't appropriate to get into.
hahahahaha no

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheAgent posted:

hahahahaha no

So what is it then? Because I'm sure there was stuff about her dad they didn't want to talk about.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lofi posted:

It's called House of Leaves.

House of Leavers

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Filthy leaves.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Hey I've been on a bit of a Star Citizen vacation but I've been reading a page or two of the main thread every night so this may be starting back up soon. Nothing really happens with CIG in the summer so worst case scenario wait till you see me as the latest post in August or October.

Here is a March and April to tide you over:

March Set 3

Scruffpuff posted:

https://i.imgur.com/6wFICr8.gifv

There's a lot of information packed into that video.

- Everyone appears nailed to their seats. Not only does not force of the grenade have no effect, but their own bodyweight isn't enough to slide ANY of them off the seats. So that seems to indicate a few things: the grenade simply does AOE hitpoint reduction but has no actual physical blast, and the commando sitting animation literally connects your rear end to the chair, but keeps ragdoll physics otherwise locked in.

- When the commando stands up / sits down repeatedly to "throw" the grenade, he just snaps and jitters everywhere. Almost as if someone who wasn't, but thinks they are, a director and game developer spent lots of time in the motion capture studio, but any animations not specifically motion-captured are just not rendered, whether by keyframe or anything else. Extensive and exclusive motion-capture is a great way to make sure your game is as non-immersive as possible, because it makes the player watch the exact same animation for every move, with no surprises. A little mo-cap goes a long way; a lot makes your game look like poo poo.

- The gun on the back of the enterprising grenade commando is rotating on a single point, where they arbitrarily decided it was "attached" to the commando. As he moves the gun swivels around this pivot. I can't think of a single example in real life where a gun would be attached to someone's back on a pivot. All this illustrates is the moronic commitment to "fidelity" where not only do you have to show the gun, it's not even enough to make the gun part of the commando model, or even just attach the loving thing statically. No, it's important that it move independently for literally no other reason than to visually prove to the viewer that it's a separate object. So now you're using CPU cycles to calculate physics for a gun that, in a real-life situation, would not be dangling and swinging around.

- Obviously all the dumb poo poo on the table. Extra points to the empty tri-section kiddie plates with fork and knife to either side. It's a "cafeteria!"

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen riddle:

Q) Why are there no stealth mechanics in Star Citizen?
A) Because Chris Roberts can't figure out how to motion capture something he can't see.

:reddit: posted:

There is no debate! Star Citizen is shaping up to be the Best Damned Space Sim Ever!

I think the evidence is quite clear! Just look at all the progress made in just the past six months! It's just a matter of time and CIG is doing a great job at delivering the product they promised!

Agony Aunt posted:

no debate? Well, that sums up the sub nicely.

Party Boat posted:

Star Citizen has given me lots of fun and I've not paid a penny. Great value.

Tokamak posted:

The vehicle states for VTOL/landing mode etc will not come in 3.5. We decided to revisit this and do a better job, but it will only come in a future patch now.

Heat is currently being worked on, but is not currently in the 3.5 branch. I believe the plan is for the changes to get in, but I do not know for sure.
Hot new jesus tech about to drop; It will solve every relevant problem.
It's the first implementation and hasn't completely replaced the old system.
It will take a few patches to iron out the bugs and finish implementing it.
It covers a much smaller scope than what we will eventually need.
We've scheduled some new techs off in the distant future that will accomplish what was originally suggested (for real this time).
Every... single... time.

no_recall posted:

I just watched the space tugboat video.

What the actual gently caress? Like... What the gently caress?

Tow boats work because of physics, displacement etc. But tugboats in space? I mean what? With thrusters places all around your drat ship you already have precision control.

Lol. WTF.

The White Dragon posted:

i can't even design a monster this scary when im trying

i should just hang up my hat

kuddles posted:

It will never stop being hilarious to me that some of the same people who think a $5 cosmetic outfit in a free-to-play game is why EA is the most evil corporation to ever exist will bend over backwards to defend paying 4 figures for a picture and a promise. And then do it again and again.

Beet Wagon posted:

Son of Rodney posted:

The amount of money for one of those idiot ships is still mind boggling to me. I once spent 10 bux on clash of clans and I've felt like an idiot ever since. Imagine spending 100 times that. And not even getting anything out of it.

Buddy, I don’t have to imagine it. (Yes, I’m a dumbfuck)

corn in the bible posted:

This thread, most of all, reminds me of an article I read about email scams. A scammer was asked why they still use stuff like Nigerian Prince cons, things that are transparently just attempts to steal money from people. And the answer was that the only kind of person who responds to an email like that is somebody who is very trusting and very stupid, and once you find someone like that you can take everything they own and they won't even realize you tricked them. Rather than trying to put together a story that is airtight and convincing, and risking the police or someone figuring it out partway through and wasting all that effort spent in them, con men put together something that will find them incredibly stupid people who don't require any effort to scam at all, and then they just pursue those people until they can't give money anymore.

It sounds familiar, yes?

Chris Roberts can't possibly convince anyone who isn't a moron anymore, and if he did manage to sell a ship to someone sane they might fight for refunds or something again and that's a lot of hassle. It's better if he only sells ships to people who are so loving blind that they will never ever admit it was a mistake. See above, where people defend CIG's policy of not giving people any money back and advise essentially just... giving up. And why get your money back anyway? What are you, poor???!?

Scruffpuff posted:

Crobbler's fidelitious eggs, the cornerstone of any space game, was unfortunately severely outdone:

https://finalfantasyxv.wiki.fextralife.com/Dishes

Back to the drawing board! Time for Eggs 2.0!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt

:reddit: ARGH I CAN'T WRAP MY HEAD AROUND THIS ITS SO COMPLEX!

:what: "Technical debt (also known as design debt or code debt) is a concept in software development that reflects the implied cost of additional rework caused by choosing an easy solution now instead of using a better approach that would take longer."

:reddit: ...

Beet Wagon posted:

The thing is, it takes a certain amount of low cunning to argue in bad faith that way. That SC Bursar guy was pretty good at it, and Vertisce, for as many galaxy brained takes as he has, can do it. Tojal is - like fandred in some ways - pure, unfiltered stupid. Even when he tries a logic trap or to cite wikipedia as his own work, he telegraphs it so hard it's almost impossible to miss. He's a dumb guy trying to keep up with slightly less dumb guys, and it shows.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes, as we all know, the existence of screenshots proves the existence of a game

zcrow posted:

doctored as gently caress brah

IcarusUpHigh posted:

WELCOME TO STAR CITIZEN. THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE.

UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES. BE ANYONE, DO ANYTHING, LIVE A LIFE IN SPACE, UNLEASH YOUR IMAGINATIO.....

Oh

I have no idea about game development of course, and I don't follow the game progress and stuff. But, how the gently caress you mess up this badly? I mean, I like SC, I want to see that game success, but men, I just played the 3.5 and that game is filled with a ton poo poo of bugs, totally game breaking bugs, laggy as hell, disconnects, glitches every where, and so on. To be honest I'm starting to worry if this game is ever going to be released, or at least playable. There is no even a single game feature working that keep you interested in the game. I have participated in varius Early Access games, Alpha, Betas, etc even Demos. all of them have at least a gameplay base. This is just a screenshot space app at this moment, just go to their subreddit, is like 99% pictures. And you can't criticize there even, you get donwvoted to oblivion hell.

I’m pretty sure you’re going to eat your words sooner than you can process.

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • less than 30,000 people purchase anything from CIG in a given year
  • currently, 70% of sales come from people spending more than $1,000 a year
  • these high end backers have an average total spend of more than $10,000 since 2015
  • these include gifting and sending out packages to potential new players
  • new player and "normal" purchases continued steady into 2015
  • in 2016, new players and backers spending less than $100 began to decline
  • massive increase in high end spending around this time, with sudden buyouts of expensive ship packages
  • one person has spent almost $250,000 since the initial kickstarter across multiple accounts
  • internals of sq42 show over 1.2m preorders for the first release alone
  • internal mock ups show sq42 console release running through RSI/CIG servers
  • this would include on-demand streaming without a traditional download
  • next gen xbox and playstation are mentioned on the marketing mock ups
  • "Luckily [the next gen consoles] are running SSDs. That's an absolute must for us, without a doubt."
  • console power enough to see "low to medium" settings for squadron42
  • "There's a lot to adjust [for a console release] but it's all easy stuff."
  • to target next gen release only first few sq42 chapters will be available with more as they are polished
  • first chapter listed as free, each chapter can be ordered a la carte or as season pass
  • big name actors to return for additional content after first initial release
  • "There's not going to be a sequel to Squadron 42, not in the traditional sense. We want to keep adding to it, expanding it. Ultimately we want a generation of adventures."
  • star citizen proper not listed currently for console release
  • "Our hope is that a console player is so involved, so invested, in their [SQ42] character, they'll be willing to go out and spend the money on a decent PC to continue that adventure."
  • eventually have a SC release that's cross play, cross buy -- listed as a "big goal"
  • "working out the kinks" in getting a console sq42 character into SC, might have a website feature or app that allows save states to import
  • SC wants to be the game "for anyone and everyone"
  • SC console release coming at some point -- "There's hurdles there."

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

"Hurdles"

Good to hear from you, Captain! :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, this game has about the odds of going to completion as Lesnick does jumping over a hurdle.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What was the theorised time limit on that cayman island investment again?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The attempts at female character models are amazing. :allears:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I unironically enjoy the Wing Commander movie, fight me cowards!!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Why would I fight you when you're busy punching yourself in the dick? :confused:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

lofi posted:

Why would I fight you when you're busy punching yourself in the dick? :confused:

This requires video proof of said ‘enjoyment’. For science.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Man, there's getting back with your ex and then there's this poo poo
Chris, blink three times if you're in some kind of danger.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Did it cure your blindness too? I hear it can do that.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Somebody should really tell the FBI about what's going on here

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Sorry about the brain tumor.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Amarcarts posted:

Somebody should really tell the FBI about what's going on here

Why would the fbi have jurisdiction over star citizens

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The CIGIA?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The politbearo, more like.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wdarkk posted:

The parts about Sandi trying to strangle him are the actual surprise. I had no idea about that.

jesus christ, like how was this never brought up in all the years of sandi hate posts here

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
i love starfleet dental

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is Lesnick even a thing there anymore

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Alan Smithee posted:

is Lesnick even a thing there anymore

Not even in spirit

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1137890175005143051

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 16, 2019

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
With all the context we have, that tweet is probably one of the saddest things I've ever read.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Is this the fat sex pervert stalker who used to moderate CIG's forums?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

communism bitch posted:

Yes, but he's also the ultimate Wing Commander superfan/Chris Roberts Stalker who was employed by CiG for that reason alone and this is 100% one of those 'never meet your heroes' moments.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Funny how absolutely no one in that thread has dared to point out about how Chris Roberts is actually trying to do that with Star Citizen? Is Star Citizen dead to him?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MedicineHut posted:

Funny how absolutely no one in that thread has dared to point out about how Chris Roberts is actually trying to do that with Star Citizen? Is Star Citizen dead to him?

I mean

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MedicineHut posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is coming in a few months and is basically 2019 Freelancer with the ability to add your own music stations to the radio. Made by two guys. Female voices provided by the lead guys wife. Only downside is it’s on Epic for a year.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

I think he understands SQ42 isn't going to be a WC sequel, so yes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

communism bitch posted:

Yes, but also developer and Master of Spaceships. (Seriously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Has there been anything from the great bear since AMD announced you can turn fidelity on and off with a GPU driver option? When I saw that in their presentation my first thought was this tire fire.