Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, he's quickly name dropped when Cisco says who has been working with him on getting Barry back. Harry, Felicity, Curtis, and a couple of ladies I didn't catch. I assume one of them was Anne Dudek's character from last season but I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Early in the episode there was a quick shot when Cisco is showing Barry his new costume, Wally says something sarcastic, and Isis shushes him. It gives me some hope that they're building to a story where Wally is a little frustrated with being sidekicked but Iris is probably trying to ease Barry back before she pushes for Wally to get more attention.

Also naturally I want him to do a Semester on the Waverider.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wally on Legends really makes perfect sense.

1) He's clearly redundant and sidekicked next to Barry.
2) He'd be massively powered compared to the rest of the Legends which would be cool and different.
3) He's still hugely inexperienced so Sarah could still boss him around.
4) He'd have a great time with Ray, Nate, and Jax. He needs some friends of his own.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't wait for Diggle to meet Dibney.

It better happen, Arrowverse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I expect he'll just be "Ralph Dibny" and probably never put on a costume or anything but just go with the "super powered private detective" Dibny character. Cisco will say "Elongated Man" at some point and Dibny will make a joke about how bad it is. The "Plastic Man" reference was just a gag and people maybe reading a bit much into them making him kind of scuzzy as a backstory.

Mostly I think that was just kind of a tonal miss for Flash writers. I don't think they were totally trying to make Dibny a bad dude. Barry and Joe have that whole talk about what Ralph did and it was obviously all a means to get Barry reflecting on all the sketchy poo poo they've done and maybe that will go somewhere. But it just didn't really work as "morally ambiguous" because "the dirty cop framed someone because he was guilty, so for a good reason" kind of falls flat.

God help him when he meets Oliver's mom's lawyer Jean Loring who happens to have a daughter named Jean too. 2018 Arrowverse Crossover = Identity Crisis!

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 6, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's terrible, but also he was kind of already gone. Hopefully they find out a good way to bring him back for good and he comes back similar to Katie Cassidy, but if he's just in this standby role I get it and it doesn't feel like it changes a lot.

rapeface posted:

He'll get paired up with Caitlin and leave the show at the end of the season and he'll like it.

There is a Jean Loring in the Arrowverse and I refuse to believe they will pass this up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its more or less implied that after Barry left Iris threw herself into leading Team Flash and got kind of obsessed.

But also Iris kind of never had friends or a social life outside her family besides dudes who got killed by Thawne. And even her fiance was her dad's partner.

No one on Team Flash has a social life. They're all traumatized shut ins. Cisco's the most balanced of them because he has a girlfriend in another universe. Team Arrow is actually more well adjusted than them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm not actually criticizing the show. It makes perfect sense that Iris - who has already had multiple people she cared about get murdered by Flash's enemies - to resist forming deep relationships with people outside their world to avoid putting people in danger. Not to mention that keeping Team Flash's secrets or Barry's secrets effectively mean you have to lie to anyone else in your life. Maybe the reason Caitlin always ends up attracted to coworkers is because if she ever dated some random dude she'd have to lie constantly to him and couldn't build an actual relationship. I'm more than happy to accept that it makes sense for Team Flash to get all insulated and bond over their shared secrets, danger, and trauma.

Its just kind of funny to laugh about after an episode like this that really highlights it.

I mean, they could have wrote in a couple of random Iris bridesmaids we never met before, but what would be the point? They'd have to write them out just as quickly to tell their stories unless you got them more involved and that just makes everything clumsier and more complicated. Iris has no friends. I can accept that. It moves the story along better. And Caitlin has no friends either so its a good starting point for some bonding.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they coulda but I'm willing to go with the idea that somewhere between her brother becoming a super hero to her fiance killing himself to erase the existence of a time traveling psychopath speedster descendant to her getting a new secret brother who also becomes a superhero to her getting engaged with her first brother to his evil duplicate coming back in time to murder her to her brotherfiance disappearing into a time space...

Well its probably easier to just stop checking Facebook and ghost your college buds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness the guys of Team Flash don't really have lives either. I mean, Cisco's got a family he never talks to and who hates him, a dead brother, and a girlfriend from another universe who visits him at work. Barry has some friends over on Team Arrow or other Earths. Joe did start a relationship at his other job, so that's probably an improvement.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, last year they seemed to favor letting each show do its thing but it really made the crossover feel disjointed and half done. This year they seem to have just hijacked the other shows to do a standalone story, which is the right approach for a crossover. Even if it will probably confuse some people who don't watch all the shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, and half of Team Arrow sat the last episode out for some reason. And of course none of Team Supergirl showed up. I guess it probably had to do with production stuff, schedules, money, contracts, etc. But it was weird. Fun, but weird.

Film a 2 hour thing and break it into 4 parts. Seems like that's the approach they took this time. Hell, they even moved the schedule around so its really just 2 2-hour parts.

But boy is that going to be confusing for people who binge the shows on Netflix. But true to all classic comic book crossovers if they throw a little panel up that says "Don't Watch This Unless You've Seen..."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also my favorite moment this episode is still Thawne's genuine "omg it's the Thinker can I get an autograph :neckbeard:" markout.

Yeah, that was awesome because it actually took me a moment to realize "Wait... this isn't Wells acknowledging a scientific peer in Devoe, its Reverse Flash acknowledging a super villain peer in The Thinker." It was very cute.

Guy A. Person posted:

That's rad, I have been hoping they would do more travel to the future. He could team up with his own kids against Reverse Flash and/or Kadabra. Would also love to see Impulse or XS eventually. I always loved the Doctor Who-esque non-linear timelines in the comics, like Barry meeting a younger version of Thawne before he even realizes they are enemies, etc.

My guess is that its actually an alternate version of their kid on Earth X. We know Commander Cold and the Ray are both Earth X heroes who will work with the Arrowverse heroes so I'm hopeful we get a whole team of heroes from Earth X like is teased in that little cartoon short. So you have a character like a Tornado Twin to either be an easter egg or get Flash and Iris whispering.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it makes perfect sense to me that Thawne is just alive because he skirted off to an alternate universe to be a Nazi.

Bruceski posted:

Wait... if the goal was to get Supergirl's heart, why did they invade Earth-1? "I've got a location on the target, she's on another Earth surrounded by superpowered people. We're not fully prepared yet, let's go attack there instead."

Maybe they determined that the combined heroic force of Earth 1 was less of a threat than the combined heroic force of Earth 38 with Superman, Manhunter, and whoever else is around (like they've implied Batman)?

I mean, the answer is "we wanted to do a crossover" but I could accept that explanation if it really bothers you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, there's nothing I can think of about Thawne's past that indicates he'd take a stance against Nazism, genocide, or racism.

I actually kind of appreciated that aspect of the crossover. Not only were they willing to take some of their main actors and have them play completely repugnant Nazi scum versions of their characters but they were willing to take Thawne (as played by the more regular actor) and just go ahead and make him a Nazi collaborator with no excuses or justifications. I was very much expecting something slightly more ambiguous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, he's a psychopathic egomaniac. Does he really need a justification for signing up for power and free reign to kill people in a place where there's no true threat to him? I mean the whole Legion of Doom plot didn't have anything to do with Barry and was just about protecting himself. So he found a home where he's safe, powerful, and gets to be as evil as he wants to be.

I guess its a little odd he'd sign up for the cross world stuff knowing first hand the threat of Earth 1's heroes but from the way it played out he just wanted to gently caress with Barry some more. And we've clearly learned by now Thawne doesn't actually regard any of the Earth 1 heroes as true threats. And he claims to have once took down Superman.*

But yes, Barry just letting him go was dumb and probably makes Barry accountable for Thawne's next round of mass murder.

*I think we're all sleeping on the possible implication of a future Thawne on Supergirl storyline.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming they used Thawne instead of Barry as a Nazi because they literally just got done with evil Barry as a villain.
Maybe but I also think Thawne worked better, especially since Oliver X and Kara X had their whole icky marriage plotline so a third wheel Barry X would have just been odd. Using Thawne made him stand out and have his own place. Kara X and Oliver X were both distorted versions of their hero counterparts but Thawne was just Thawne.

But yeah, Barry fighting an evil Barry would have been a tad redundant.

Tiggum posted:

As I remember it, he said he wasn't going to kill any more and then he sort of gradually started killing people again and no one said anything about it.
Arrow's entire 5 year journey has been a back and forth of whether killing is ever justified, when is it just an excuse, and what kind of monster are you if you give in to the killing. It very much did not go unaddressed and was the main theme of last season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but it took awhile to come to peace with that. And odds are it will haunt him again. But Season 5's main storyline was basically Oliver wrestling with the consequences and morality of his killing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShakeZula posted:

Here's a question: how did Thawne end up fighting Superman? Did he travel to the future of Supergirl's Earth and fight him there? Does Superman show up at some point in Earth-1's future? Did he kill a good Superman on Earth-X?

We have no idea. He said "it happens in the future" so it could be anything (except the Earth X thing, since that would have been in the past).

Thawne's effectively the embodiment of "unreliable narrator". He could be full of poo poo. He could be describing an upcoming Supergirl episode. He could be predicting the next crossover. He could be talking about Earth 25. Who knows?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes, its entirely plausible and within character that when Kara said "my cousin will get you" Thawne's ego was just wounded so he speeded off to another Earth to fight a Superman just to feel better.

I actually kind of like the idea that while we know Thawne as being utterly pettily obsessed with Barry that his part in this scheme could have been motivated by some petty hatred of Kara or Clark that comes from some future/past/alternate rivalry from when we last saw him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, my hope is definitely for a future storyline where Thawne goes to Supergirl and fights her and Clark which in turn makes him hate them and motivates his signing up with Nazis to kill her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As disappointed as I was in Ralph not getting to make Diggle puke (thankfully that happened anyway) I have zero problems with the fact that he wasn't invited to Barry and Iris' wedding. But Jay should have been.

Until we're given a reason to think otherwise i think it stands to reason that Earth 1's Bruce Wayne, Kal-El, and Kara-El just never became heroes. Since Oliver has krytonite and Cisco/Barry probably wouldn't have helped him do that I'm gonna assume Earth 1 Krypton exploded, but as said Kara and Kal could have just not made it to Earth. Doing Earth 1 Kryptonians feels complicated.

I also kind of assume Oliver Queen and Barry Allen exist on Earth 38 but they're just nobodies or whatever. Oliver died in a shipwreck and Barry died in a lab explosion or something. Although I guess it would be funny for Kara to one day just run across one of them serving coffee.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 30, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This whole conversation strikes me most weird (I mean, besides the weird conflation of weirdness with incest) because the show kind of dealt with all of this in the first couple of seasons and everyone kind of came to terms with it. Sure, its gonna play weird to someone like Alex or Dibney hearing about it for the first time but all the actual concerned parties went through tons of melodrama about it that the thread really, really hated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That doesn't strike me as odd considering you assume that anyone who means enough to you to be invited to your wedding rehearsal is probably not going to jump to any weird rear end conclusions and will understand your complicated relationship and long journey to this day. Its only weird because it was aired on a TV show for a bunch of people who don't love Iris and Barry.

Like Alex is kind of a funny case because she was kind of really out of place at the wedding so theoretically would have been confused by it and not have the benefit of the doubt built up because she barely knows Barry and Iris. But like, that's just her being the odd man out at an intimate gathering of friends, family, and loved ones.

Well, and Mick.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched that AMC History of Comics episode about Milestone and they made it sound like Milestone was back in business, which would seem like it would complicate DC using Static Shock.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I knew very little about Milestone before i saw that AMC thing. The way they presented it was that they all had a falling out over agendas, politics, and money and didn't speak again until a bit before McDuffie's death and at his funeral they all decided they wanted to honor him by getting Milestone up again. Now I know that was probably a cushy version of events but there's something sad/funny if those guys then screwed McDuffie's family as the epilogue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shaddak posted:

Maybe someone who knows more about DC can explain this for me. What's the difference between Black Lightning and Static Shock? I get that they both have electrical abilities, but beyond that, do they have different powers?

I think the practical answer you're looking for is that Black Lightning was a character introduced in the 70s who was kind of "blaxploitation" in the same way Luke Cage was but in recent decades has been worked back into the fold as a dignified veteran hero, member of the Justice League, the former Security of Education, and father of other heroes (kind of similar to Cage as well). Static was a teen character introduced in the 90s on a different line of books written by black writers and artists and featuring POC characters and themes, and he later got the Static Shock cartoon which gave him a much higher profile than his original line of books which led to DC working him into the DC universe a bit more.

I think. I'm no expert. But that's the main difference I think. BL is a survivor of a time when African American and POC heroes were few and far between and kind of racist so he's a bit of an elderstatesman now, while Shock started as a modern revolutionary representation of AA in comics and then got popularized by a cartoon.

Why DC always gives black heroes lightning/electricity powers, I have no idea. But I imagine Static and Black Vulcan's creators were at least partially inspired by Black Lightning.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Static looks kind of weird in that shot. I was never a big fan of his design. The body suit and cap just looked weird to me.

But I'm blown away that people might actually assume a Malcolm cap is a Confederate cap.

Come to think of... why the hell did Night Thrasher have a skateboard? I read New Warriors and I never remember him riding the thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't mean to call you out. I get that ignorance comes down to personal experience and there's plenty of stuff I'm ignorant to. So its probably my own ignorance to just assume everyone has the same experience and knowledge I have and if I squint real hard I can kind of see how you got "Confederate cap" out of that. It just caught me by surprise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Azhais posted:

Jessica Parker Kennedy. She was the main prostitute in Black Sails

Perhaps there?

Oh, wow. That's a different character affect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually seen Black Sails and recognize the actress. I just didn't recognize her at all in the Flash role and its such a departure. Not because she was a prostitute who got naked a bunch in Black Sails. Because she was like a devious, calculating character who used sex as a weapon for power and survival and all I saw was a really bouncy nerd girl.

Plus she really plays much younger.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This last episode convinced me that I want Team Flash to spend the rest of the season freaking out about every trivial aspect of their lives being part of DeVoe's evil plans only for it to turn out that DeVoe is actually done with his plan and he hosed off to Tahiti with his hot wife.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just got around to watching and saw hundreds of new posts and got scared. Luckily half of them were about a bad accent.

I kind of like Amunet. She's just completely and unabashedly over the top campy. Isn't that when we all agree Flash is at its best?

Guy A. Person posted:

I do feel like there's something going on with his brain starting to overcook either because he moved it into an incompatible body or he's overloading on powers. They seem to be starting to tease it with him briefly forgetting their first song. I think he keeps switching bodies because he is burning them out faster.

I don't know what Devoe's plan is, why he's body hopping, or any of the biology of it. But I'm assuming the stuff with his wife and murdering Wolfe for no reason is really about him just losing touch with any humanity as he becomes "smarter" and more analytical and whatever. We don't really know Devoe enough to be sure that he would have never violated his wife as horribly as he just did and he's murdered enough people that the idea of him killing Wolfe just because doesn't totally resonate. But that definitely seems to be what they're going for as seen through his wife's eyes.

Oh, and Ralph did the nose thing!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't they make a gag in the wedding episode that he fought Starro in his time away?

In my head Wally just ran into Roy Harper and met some new friends who he's fighting Triton with.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bozart posted:

I'll be the weirdo and say I liked this episode. More harry, dibney development, and a reminder that at least barry and iris are long past their will they wont they oh will she be murdered stage.

I won't go so far as to praise the episode or anything but yeah, I like Ralph and this was an episode focused on developing his journey into becoming a hero. So I was good with watching that. I'm invested in Ralph's growth as a person.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well we've long since established that Barry has no idea what the concept of "secret identity" means and it sorta makes sense that Ralph has no regard at all for a secret identity seeing as how he's seemingly invulnerable and has no friends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was a cool episode. I'm fine with Barry over correcting on the "changing time" poo poo even if it didn't totally make sense. He has to cut it off cold turkey. No moving lines for the time fuckery addict. And as has been said, there seems to be a certain amount of Final Destination/karma fuckery into messing with time.

Avalerion posted:

Flash being way too fast aside - yep this ep was good. For those in the known, was dad Flash going to train a replacement a refference to anyone in particular?

The "jittery" girl would be my best guess.

Burning_Monk posted:

Since they named her I assume the Eco Terrorist was someone from the comics?

I remember seeing her casting being reported, but I think it was for Arrow? So maybe she's gonna be a recurring over there and they just had fun working in here first?

Phenotype posted:

What do people dislike about Iris? I mean, I don't doubt you on the race thing, but I also doubt that "she's black" is the reason that most of them are giving out publicly.

She was kind of a wet blanket in the first season or two, but since she's learned the secret and joined the team I've really liked her in terms of characterization, and she usually helps move the plot along instead of standing in the way like before, so...?

Well she's also a woman, and lots of people on the internet hate them too. But "black" is definitely also big.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Avalerion posted:

I thought we all agreed that's Barry & Iris's daughter from the future.

Probably, but I'm speculating that she's not from our future but is actually from Earth 3 and is Jay's chosen protege and he's just being coy about not telling Barry and Iris and influencing stuff.

Or something. I have no idea if that makes sense. I don't think we even know anything about Earth 3, do we? But that was just a first guess because I couldn't think of a lady Flash/speedster besides Jesse. But I haven't read in awhile.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A brand is a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

I do appreciate that the CW has such full confidence in their superhero shows that they can renew them all in a single block.

They renewed Supernatural, Riverdale, Dynasty, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, and Jane the Virgin in the same block.

You gotta stand out to get cancelled by CW. Skimming the article the only one probably getting the ax is Valor and the rest still on the fence are iZombie, Life Sentence, and the 100, all of which I'm pretty sure just started their seasons in the last few weeks.