Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
First episode is Zodiac as gently caress, this is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo while the direction obviously takes a downturn after the first 2 episodes, the quality does NOT. They guy they interview starting with episode 3, fffffffffuck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The tickling plot was so loving amazing. And really, if that guy isn't a pervert, WHY NOT JUST STOP DOING THE THING EVERYONE IS ASKING YOU TO STOP DOING?? I didn't feel even a little bad when his wife showed up and was like waahhhhhh you ruined his life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The interviews with Big Ed were the best part of the show, second only to the short one with Speck.

Hopefully in season 2 they cast a good Manson.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's a really stupid/awkward way to say they'll be focused on an extremely African-American area/culture, but sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Maybe he just didn’t want to use classic rock as the soundtrack anymore

Hey, I don't blame him. All the interesting music of that time was happening in like, Germany or the deep South, the world hadn't yet really cottoned on to the idea of interesting music that's also popular; the Beach Boys probably come closest, until New Order's "Blue Monday".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

It's so creepy when he starts talking about "getting pussy".

"Get that pussy before it turns into Mom" :gonk:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Why is 'Pizza! You guys..!' not an adorable YouTube sensation yet?

For some reason the whole "You want a sandwich?" conversation is hilarious to me. The guy who played Kemper should legit get an award.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Art Alexakis posted:

what are you talking about guy

During the time period this show takes place in, the most interesting music being made was either in Germany (Amon Duul, Can, Neu!, etc) or America's deep South (jazz and blues). The most interesting thing on the radio was the Beach Boys' "Wild Honey", which isn't saying a lot.

:stare:

holy poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm trying to! :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

It's like, you know the show takes place about a decade after any of your references were relevant right?

I actually didn't, for some reason I thought the show took place about a decade earlier than it does, it's crazy to me that serial killers didn't even have a name until that late in time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I thought the show took place in 1970.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll defend the use of "Psycho Killer", sure it's "on the nose" but I don't view that as a de facto cinema sin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dmitri-9 posted:

In the show's defense it was a song leading up to the credits. It's not like it was a montage of serial killers doing dirt and Holden catching them.

Also, all of this:

quote:

When it was finally completed and released as a single in December 1977, "Psycho Killer" became instantly associated in popular culture with the contemporaneous Son of Sam serial killings.[10][11] Although the band always insisted that the song had no inspiration from the notorious events, the single's release date was "eerily timely"[9] and marked by a "macabre synchronicity".[11]

According to the preliminary lyric sheets copied onto the 2006 remaster of Talking Heads: 77, the song started off as a semi-narrative of the killer actually committing murders. In the liner notes of Once in a Lifetime: The Best of Talking Heads, Byrne says:

When I started writing this (I got help later), I imagined Alice Cooper doing a Randy Newman-type ballad. Both the Joker and Hannibal Lecter were much more fascinating than the good guys. Everybody sort of roots for the bad guys in movies.

So you can see why it made sense for lots of reasons to use that song.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked Debbie herself, but a lot of the interactions between her and Holt were written noticeably worse than the rest of the show, especially the first few episodes. Golly gee, you're smoking marijuana?!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Comparison between Kemper in the show and his irl interviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYBmNYc8IA

loving eerie.

sicDaniel posted:

It just occured to me that Ed Kemper is more eloquent than the President of the United States.

While this might be particularly sad right now, I think it's probably been true of even some "good" Presidents. Serial killers are so dangerous usually because they're so smart.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

most are not smart.

Serial killers or presidents? :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

viral spiral posted:

Who's your favorite serial killer?

You've never heard of him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I'm partial to Willam Belli, the Aileen Wuornos of Drag.

Also I'm partial to Aileen. I don't think I have a 'favourite' serial killer, they're all fascinating.

My wife's middle name is Aileen, she was literally named after a serial killer. Her mom is, uh, weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

in their profile they just did a sort of cold reading type thing (which is most profiling). they'd say he'd be bad with women. but might have lots of women friends. his iq would be above 105 (so average). he'd be selfish in bed. jerk off a lot. drive a decent car. might be married. might be divorced. might be a loner who never married. might have a connection with the military. i think they said he might rent his place.

To be fair, I get the feeling that most incels are a stone's throw from becoming serial killers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

viral spiral posted:

Should we be concerned about you then?

I'm very far from an incel, and also curious whose alt you are to have this weird vendetta against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you're innocent, never take the deal.

I got popped for DUI, long story short I was absolutely innocent and the cop was a scumfuck, and my public defender kept coming to me with deals from the DA and I just said nope, I'll go to trial. Eventually they dropped the charges completely.

• Locked thread