Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Blinkz0rz posted:

what the gently caress how did i not know about this thread

because this is an intimidating place and it seems dangerous to wander around in here? :shrug:

What's the vibe in this thread anyway? Are we just pragmatic/cheap clicky clacky users?

Vintage chasers?

Enthusiasts / creators / designers / wallet arsonists?

Do we like Artisan keycaps?

Silly posts?

Is this a 40's friendly place?

Can I keep going or should I see myself out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Raluek posted:

knob is good. post more knob

I'll have more knob for ya soon enough.

I'm redoing a bunch of builds around right now and at least one will have an encoder swapped in to replace one of the switches. Plus I've got a board coming soon with a dedicated encoder position.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

75 keys ought to be enough for everyone
Agreed. 75 keys is twice as many keys as some of my boards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Roosevelt posted:

playskool rear end keyboards. grow up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Vintersorg posted:

so how long do some people wait for custom keys? i ordered the epbt aesthetic kit when it came out last year in march and so far they just got samples as of a month ago. is the entire scene a scam? i got the deskmat. but still waiting on those plus a matching usb sleeved cable

Well...
Unfortunately EPBT is sorta hosed at the moment. They're slowly starting to churn through a backlog of sets, but ever since they started working out their reverse dyesub process, it's been a nightmare. EPBT Ramenstop is coming up on 18months and they haven't even got the samples sorted out. They just went back for another round of colormatching.
I received EPBT Ivory in about 18 months but that was mostly KONO's fault for loving up orders. I think they actually delivered that set in 13 months.

Keyreative KAT/KAM is absolutely and completely hosed. What has delivered is completely hosed. Sets are comin up on 2 year lead times. Keyreative has abysmal communication. They're also just making executive decisions on sets without the input of the designers or vendors and just shipping things (well... zFrontier is) straight to customers when the designers didn't even know the sets were done.

GMK is still chugging along but leadtimes are around 18 months right now. Sets are steadily delivering though.

Signature Plastics is still sorta all over the place with their different profiles but last I checked leadtimes for DCS were about a year, DSS is starting to push into the 8/9 month lead times (DSA too I think. It's at least 6 months).

I don't know if I would classify groupbuys generally as a scam in the literal sense. Like, none of these vendors / manufacturers are trying to take your money without the intent of making product. They've just had a hard time dealing with everything leading up to this point including covid killing workers, and lockdowns, and creating materials shortages, and the influx of people into the hobby, etc...

However, yeah if you don't have the stomach to just throw money at plastic with no guarantee if it'll ever materialize, there's plenty of other manufacturers that people are turning to outside of those, which is good imo. Spread the load across more manufacturers to help alleviate leadtimes.
MW is one that a LOT of people pivoted towards and they immediately stopped taking orders. They limit the number of sets that they will have outstanding orders for, so once those sets start delivering I'm sure we will see more people hopping into that queue. Besides that there's a number of vendors putting out their own runs of PBT sets with whatever manu they can contract with. Cannonkeys has Cannoncaps and NicePBT. Novelkeys has their own PBT sets.

eschaton posted:

just replace the MCU how hard could it be

wait why are you replacing the entire pcb if just the MCU is dead? Just get this: https://keyhive.xyz/shop/wasdat-controller

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 12, 2022

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

eschaton posted:

if only there was a variant of the Sun Type 7 UNIX that used Cherry, ALPS, or Mitsumi key switches

maybe this is the point where one must make a custom keyboard

:getin:

Also, :whatup:
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/cannonkeys-keycaps/products/nicepbt-type-6

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Silver Alicorn posted:

can anyone confirm or deny if any key cap sets come with the special size space bars on the kinesis freestyle edge. I’ve gotten conflicting info

Kenesis Website posted:

Can I upgrade my keycaps?
Yes! The Edge uses standard Cherry MX keycaps so any 3rd party Cherry-compatible keycap should work. Note that due to the Edge’s compact split layout there are some unique keys: Right Ctrl and Right Shift keys are 1.75x wide (substitute a Caps Lock key) and the space bars are 3.5x wide (We are not aware of any 3rd party 3.5x space bars).

I also do not know of any 3.5u keycaps. Those are weird as gently caress. Might be a good case to get an artisan maker involved like Asymplex though.
https://www.asymplex.xyz/

Maybe if you beg hard enough he will make you something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
sorry no knob

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

burning swine posted:

out of stock but a neat idea - I didn't know there were aftermarket MCUs for these. What makes this WASDAT more esd resistant than the first 3 I zapped though? My understanding is that the problem was a result of the placement of the thing right around the arrow keys

e: when I said "PCB" the first time around what I really meant was MCU apparently

sorry for the late reply but I don't know that it necessarily is more ESD resistant.

I would check the github to see if there's anything about it but it appears to be gone. https://github.com/Maartenwut
His website is also gone. http://www.maartenwut.com

This might be helpful... idk
https://git.captain-malu.de/morland/qmk_luckenbach_fork/-/tree/0.8.12/keyboards/maartenwut/wasdat

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
had a little get together with a couple of keyboard friends as one was passing through town.
The plan was to just get lunch but it turns out we had a few keyboards on us so we decided to also have an impromptu tailgate keyboard meetup.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BONGHITZ posted:

but you can only use one keyboard at once, what are you going to do with so many?

apparently keep them in the back of my truck because I've run out of space to put them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jenny Agutter posted:

they got a $1600 keeb on drop

yeah but it comes with an NFT so that means it pays for itself, right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Raluek posted:

yeah this is the only one in that batch that isnt somehow significantly compromised

except it has space for a ctrl/alt pair on both sides, and who the hell intentionally wants an alt gr key instead of just a normal alt

but those are minor

they all look neat tho

Unfortunately the Alt key is red legend so it looked kinda dumb below the red shift and really out of place with the blockers there.
So I just went with AltGr

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Alternatively, you could read 80 pages of one person's guide to using home row mods.
https://precondition.github.io/home-row-mods

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if that opens your thirst for reading about keyboard layouts, here’s a swede doing the whole hog for their pet project of 34-key keyboard https://www.jonashietala.se/series/t-34/

You know I saw a single post about that board like a year and a half ago and never thought I'd see it again!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Subjunctive posted:

I got a keyboard kit but forgot to get switches I guess? Ordered a bunch of them and then I have to figure out how it actually assembles. I hope I remembered to get a hot-swap board…

well if you have any issues with soldering a board, I have no qualms with building it for you for free.
Just pay shipping both ways.

Out of curiosity, what board is it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Roosevelt posted:

i am not skilled enough to do blank keys

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hailthefish posted:

caps lock is the most useless function on a keyboard, no one over five and under 60 uses caps lock. if you want to type in all caps just hold shift.

Exception for phones, hitting shift for every letter sucks rear end

double tap shift for caps lock.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hailthefish posted:

i know, i'm just saying the entire function of shifting from all lowercase to all caps is stupid on a normal keyboard where you can physically hold shift. it's less stupid on a lovely touchscreen keyboard where you can't

sure, but also... doubletap shift for capslock on regular keyboards too. Works great on HHKB layout 40's where the key above shift is tap for Tab, hold for Control.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Capslock on a layer is great. When I didn't have it I ended up missing it

Caps Lock is cruise control for cool.
Before combos / tapdance was a thing I was a big proponent of putting capslock on layer 2. Left thumb spacebar hold for layer two, capslock on tab (above shift).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nudgenudgetilt posted:

wtf is a caps lock? are you all talking about the upper left ctrl key?

I'M NOT SURE BUT WHEN I FIND OUT I'LL LET YOU KNOW

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://divinikey.com/products/jwick-ginger-milk-linear-switches

New favorite switches right here. They're so good stock it's almost not even worth cracking them open to mod.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cinci zoo sniper posted:

those are unlubed out of factory, which could have them make a scraping noise, depending on the build specifics/tolerances. but people do mod them further than that as well, sometimes

The Ginger Milks are actually really smooth and there's no scratch.
Lubing quiets them down a touch though, and also helps get rid of leaf chatter and spring crunch (of which there is next to none already).
You won't benefit from a spring swap unless you just want a different weight.
It is literally impossible to put films on these and close them.

They're very good stock, but I just lubed 45 of them to try out and I think I prefer them with just a touch of Tribosys 3204 and some gpl105 for the springs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
keychron.
so nice you have to buy it twice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Took some glamour shots.

https://imgur.com/a/GXeDMb9

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Captain Foo posted:

why tf would i pres 2 butan when i can pres 1

because then you can keep your hands in the same place over the homing keys instead of flying around your desk like you're Mister Miyagi.

akadajet posted:

is this just an art piece? looks cool, but unusable.

I used this board all week. I even got a carrying case so I could tote it back and forth to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

oh I had one of those.
https://i.imgur.com/xdXmIzB.mp4