Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I don't know what scrap plastic they made the keys out of, my spacebar has sparkles in it and it owns

PBT sparkles, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

just how sparkly we talkin' here

burning swine
May 26, 2004

blugu64 posted:

I bet Unicomp still uses that one

yup

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Same but consider clears too

burning swine
May 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

yeah but like, how did that affect the product

the keycaps are utter poo poo for what you're paying and they will not only shine but the legends will wear off in short order

burning swine
May 26, 2004

blowfish posted:

blues aren't total trash, i'll give you that

they're still not exactly top tier (or even remotely impressive), mind you

If blues are your favorite cherry switches then greens are actually your favorite cherry switches whether you know it yet or not

and if you really like clickies that much you should just drop $95 on a unicomp

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

and the undamped ones are really good :shrug:

alps is the good poo poo, the modern cherry stuff half of yall fawn over is no replacement

I love(d) the poo poo out of my AT101W with alps but cherry clears/greens are easily as good

and if you're really that crazy over alps switches you should probably just admit to yourself that you ought to go full sperg and use a model M

burning swine
May 26, 2004

my 4-year old CODE keyboard died today

backlight blinks briefly when first plugged in, then nothin'

:rip:

think i'm gonna get another unicomp to replace it

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Olivil posted:

i had the same thing, WASD sent me a replacement logic board for the price of shipping so you could try that
hmm maybe

also maybe I can repair then sell it because honestly I've never loved this thing. Maybe if it had clears, but it doesn't

eschaton posted:

lol at a keyboard that dies after a paltry four years

agree

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Was it the daughter board that sits above the arrow keys?

As long as it wasn't the main board, to which all the key switches are soldered, it's probably worth it

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

sort of. depends on which one you get, i think. both of mine have the damped keys, which are ok. they're better than a membrane keyboard and quiet enough to use at work. but they're not a joy to use like the adb keyboard (iigs). looks like the aekii and adb both can have salmons (idk whats in my adb) but i dont have one of those.

no clicky cherry is as nice as the complicated whites i have in my northgate at home, although i havent tried greens. maybe i will, if you say they're that good

all the models m i have tried have been worn out sticky garbage. ill give them a chance if i find a good one

If you like blues, greens are just a better version for anyone who is a moderate to hard typist. If you don't like blues, or you're a very light typist, greens may be a bit much.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

daaaaamn that is gay

A+

burning swine
May 26, 2004

bump_fn posted:

is cherry brown teh one thats a good click but not stupid loud? is this a decent keyboard? i want a numpad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N9TPC95

yes ducky keyboards are good and yeah browns are good

burning swine
May 26, 2004

So do CODE/WASD boards still have the little daughterboard right next to the arrow keys? I've killed that board with accidental ESD 3 times in my current code board, and I'm getting tired of having to open it up and replace that thing

burning swine
May 26, 2004

welp even though my first code keyboard was kind of disappointing I went ahead and ordered a WASD (no backlight) with clears because I need something that works

upside: they have a sku now that comes with a no-frills doubleshot PBT keyset at no extra cost. Still waiting for the greenpos/amberpos massdrop set to get produced again tho

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-admgc-sa-green-screen-custom-keycap-set

burning swine
May 26, 2004

having to type "kill vampire with stake" really fast in king's quest 2 when I was 8

burning swine
May 26, 2004

keyberders

burning swine
May 26, 2004

like four I think

one less than usual because I somehow managed to kill a unicomp recently

burning swine
May 26, 2004

yep some p big chunks missing from both of those boards

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Pedals suck, they're the worst. I tried them for a while and it is seriously exhausting to keep your feet in that position. It's also very tiring to click with your foot all day. You wouldn't think tapping your foot like that would be too much work but 6 hours or whatever and you will be feeling it.

sounds like you need a manual transmission to strengthen up your pedal foot

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

clack-clack bitches

Data General?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

PBT keys attract dust like a real mother fucker, so I am cleaning them, and using the stuff you use for protecting the dash in your car :smugmrgw: the keys coming up glorious and black

lol thats gonna be an oily keyboard

burning swine
May 26, 2004

goddamn

burning swine
May 26, 2004

computer toucher posted:

They can barely function.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I guess you can argue about stuff like not having a number pad, but the line for me is any time you replace a one-handed operation with one that requires both hands in the name of removing keys. fn+# for f keys is a non starter for me for that reason. See also: laptop keyboards with no pgup/pgdn keys that use function + up or down arrows. uhg gently caress that

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I have a TKL on my living room coffee table as a space-saver. It's good for games and browsing and videos and poo poo

on the rare occasions when I have to use it to enter lots of numbers I still find it frustrating as hell

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hi again yos pals. Postin' a PSA because I randomly visited one of my drop bookmarks and the YOSPOS keycaps are available again for the first time in ~4 years. I looked back in the thread and I don't think anyone else noticed. Only 10 days left so if anyone else was waiting, get on it

https://drop.com/buy/drop-sa-green-screen-keycap-set

SA profile, doubleshot, all that poo poo. here I'll break it down for you:

pros:
- looks cool
- makes you more cool, by the transitive property
- look how tall the escape key is goddamn

cons:
- $250 probably
- ships in 2023
- won't improve your posting

burning swine
May 26, 2004

pseudopresence posted:

I think as soon as you start caring about different switches it's already too late.

it's this

if you are reading this thread, you're already too far gone

burning swine
May 26, 2004

my jeff fatwood code keyboard died again. Third time that ESD has killed its brain, and I've finally decided not to replace the PCB again. It will just keep happening.

Shame, it was the only KB I had with clears on it

burning swine
May 26, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wait why are you replacing the entire pcb if just the MCU is dead? Just get this: https://keyhive.xyz/shop/wasdat-controller

out of stock but a neat idea - I didn't know there were aftermarket MCUs for these. What makes this WASDAT more esd resistant than the first 3 I zapped though? My understanding is that the problem was a result of the placement of the thing right around the arrow keys

e: when I said "PCB" the first time around what I really meant was MCU apparently

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hi keyboard thread

A while ago I was assigned a new junior dev who has a disability of some kind - he didn't volunteer its exact nature and I haven't asked, but I wanted to see if I could come up with any ideas and then maybe broach the subject in a respectful way.

He's in a powered wheelchair and doesn't seem to have the ability to move much. Recently we did a screenshare and I realized that he was using the windows 10 onscreen keyboard with his mouse cursor for all of his typing. It works, but it's tedious. I'm not necessarily assuming that he hasn't explored whether better options exist on his own, but I'm curious if anyone in this thread knows of some kind of keyboard-alternative that might be usable by someone with extremely limited motion? I know he can handle a mouse or something a lot like it - is there any kind of keyboard that could be grasped in a similar way? I'm not actually sure if he has the use of both hands or just one. If there's something that looks promising I can get the company to buy him one, or even just foot the bill myself. Any ideas would be welcome.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Thanks all, this is why I asked here before saying a drat thing. Still happy to collect info on what is out there but I'll be much more thoughtful about when/if I'm going to discuss it with him.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

I bought mine without key caps. god knows how it was for sale here in nz second hand, and I got shine thru PBT keycaps BUT the ones I got, where it’s a number key with also like &&$)-!? on it, the $& is at the bottom and isn’t illuminated by the LED

:cry:

so it’s borderline substandard compared to a legit CODE keycap set. there must be switches that exist with LEDs on both top and bottom to illuminate all of the shine thru parts..

youre still better off, the official code keycaps are singleshot clear abs with black paint on them. they wear out very fast and become illegible

burning swine
May 26, 2004

code original on top and a nicer doubleshots below for comparison

thanks jeff

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

interesting
coz the code is basically the perfect keyboard, as it is. i’d prefer usb C anda more stable port or some kind of clamp or something, but that’s about it

yeah I like everything else about the code, the keycaps were pretty disappointing.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

ive been using chef fatwood's code for 7 years now and i haven't had any of the keycaps go. the only thing that died is the led for the f key, probably because i spilled coffee on it.

Only took me about a year to start wearing them out. My code was also one of the early ones though, I think I pre-ordered it. Maybe they've improved since then? idk

burning swine
May 26, 2004

not mine, but I ordered that set from massdrop fuckin' years ago and it looks like it's finally getting ready to ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I'm going to have to grab the real camera later and take some proper photos, but my long-awaited SA profile cap set arrived recently

she types good, real good. Theyre on a code w/ clears for the moment but I'm looking for a better home

amberpos supremacy