Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rahonavis posted:

It's a little thing, but my "favorites" and "recently used" smiley menus are always empty.

Thirding this. I’m not sure it or recent smilies ever worked for me.

Also, while looking at the smiles menu while doing this post, a whole bunch (But not all) were showing double.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gunshow Poophole posted:

So twitter vids no longer play inline for me, on iOS 10.3 on an iPad. I'm signed into my account because they'll open right up in the twitter app, and I can click through to reactions etc

Same problem with iOS 11.4 on iPhone.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pirate Jet posted:

I think it’s an issue with “clicking” in general, not just spoiler tags. I’ve noticed issues hitting links, buttons, and ignored users’ posts too.

Yeah, I’ve seen it with spoiler tags and trying to play GIFs since the latest update went through yesterday. I’ll click them but get no response. If I leave the thread and reload it, that seems to fix the problem. I’ve also seen things previous posts not loading or scroll to the end jumping down one or two posts, rather than going all the way to the end of whatever thread I’m reading.

FWIW I don’t think I experienced any of the problems with tags that others had mentioned having in the past prior to the update.

iPhone 8, iOS 12.1

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Spoilers, clicking profiles, Tweets, etc., are still maybe 50/50 as I had posted about a while back. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Usually I can reopen a thread and spoilers will work, either by going back to the parent forum or my bookmarks, but sometimes that doesn’t work. :shrug:

iPhone 8, current iOS, blah blah blah

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Filter is working for me now with the update.

However, can I put in a fairly low priority request to add or update more of the tags in the app? It may just be the ones I happen to have bookmarked, but a number still use the generic thread tag in the app.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pretty sure that happens at the end of every month, it uses one imgur account that runs out of monthly uploads.

Is this the same reason the app has trouble opening twitter sometimes? Like, I’ll click the link and the app will try to open it, but just say “website name” at the top and stay there. Restarting awful app usually fixes it, but I’ve never noticed before if it only happens at the end of the month or not...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Rinkles posted:

If SA's not quite dead, I'd like to suggest a minor feature for Awful. Would it be a lot of work, and something others don't mind, to make pressing the bookmarks button when already viewing bookmarks scroll the page to the top? Just a way to make refreshing the tab more convenient.

I’d just like to second this idea if it’s feasible, as it seems handy if you have a long bookmark list.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
A weird just started happened after downloading the latest version of the app (Awful 4.6 according to the settings page): When I click on a thread that has new posts, it’s opening at the top of the page where I left off, rather than right at the new posts.

For what it’s worth, it’s occurring both from the forum view and bookmarks page. I’ve gone through about 15-20 threads and it’s happened for all of them. Current iOS 13.6, iPhone 8.

EDIT: And after making this post, it also went back to the top of the page.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Data Graham posted:

Uselessly posting "same" to the above. Didn't even know that option existed

Also same. Switched it to Yes and restarted the app and it seems to be working correctly again.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mine is already set to yes, maybe this is why I only get it rarely (to the point I’ve just gone ‘hm, odd’ rather than felt the need to bring it up).

I don’t think I’d ever seen it occur before, which is why it suddenly happening with every thread was a big surprise.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I haven’t had any noticeable issues, iPhone 8, current versions of iOS and the app. :shrug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Has anyone else seen the app having trouble loading or lagging a bit more than usual the last day or so? I was having some trouble scrolling and typing yesterday, but assumed something on my end. Today, I’ve noticed it stuttering a fair bit while loading pages, and some lag while typing again.

It’s not consistent, for example it’s not happening as I’m doing this post. I don’t know for sure if it’s an app issue or the forums being the forums (Always a possibility), but I haven’t noticed it with any other apps I use or seen anyone else mention any issues with the forums at large today. FWIW, I’m on iPhone 8, iOS 14 and current version of the app.

EDIT: Maybe related, maybe not, but after making this post, this thread still remained buried in the middle of my bookmarks thread, even showing me as the most recent post there, rather than moving up to the top. :shrug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

astral posted:

That is an expected forums thing, from what I understand. Fixes itself relatively quickly.

Yeah, it took maybe five minutes but that corrected itself. Guess I’d never noticed that one happening before.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m not sure if this is an app issue or just something changed with Twitter, but I’ve noticed the last few days that trying to switch the orientation of Twitter videos that are playing pops me back to the thread and stops the video. IIRC in the past, rotating my phone horizontally would change the video as well, rather than stopping it completely. It’s not a big issue at all, just wanted to note it. Most recent version of the app, iOS 14.1, iPhone 8.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

arbybaconator posted:

Just chiming in to say that this app is very good and I have been using it daily for several years.

:hellyeah:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

smackfu posted:

Not sure the app has any control over this, but if I play a video in a Twitter embed, then full screen it, then rotate my phone to landscape, the video stops playing and I get dropped back to non-full screen. This is quite annoying.

That’s been going on for a while now, cause I mentioned it in October. Seems to be a Twitter thing, as I think I’ve had it happen outside awful app as well.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Since the subject of saving stuff came up, did the option to save images somehow get removed at some point? I know it was present in the past, and I had basically the same options as shown in this post from 2019, but for a while now it’s been missing for me:

The "Save Image" or "Save to Photos" isn't anywhere on there, or in the Edit Actions button. Is there something in the settings (Be it for AwfulApp or the phone itself) I need to switch to get that option again? I'm using an iPhone 8 with the most recent iOS and app updates.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 5, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Heh, you responded while I was editing my post to include the quote of you answering the same question for someone else from a few years ago.

Anyway, I did some playing around and it was in the phone settings itself. Somehow, the Awful setting for photos had been changed to "Add Only", switching it back to "All Photos" brought the save option back, in case anyone else ever has the same issue. :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Viruswithshoes posted:

I can believe it. How do we make the app work properly now though? I’ve cleared the cache and reinstalled it to no avail

For getting the embedded tweets to work again, just give it time. I see them stop displaying completely at random and they’ll go back to working just as randomly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

teen witch posted:

Images and Twitter embeds are disappearing or going to text only on me. Desktop seems to be ok?

Currently using iPhone 11, iOS 14.6.

I was having the same issue this morning (iPhone 8, iOS 14.6) where images weren’t loading at all, just seeing blank posts. Force closing and restarting the app worked and I haven’t had issues since FWIW.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ZeeBoi posted:

Unfortunately I still see duplicated smilies, even after logging out and back in (which causes the app to close)

pokeyman posted:

Damnation. Well, one way it could happen was fixed, with more to come!

FWIW, I’m also still seeing them, but I appreciate the efforts to fix it! :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

MarcusSA posted:

That did not work for me.

I was laughing though that it might have worked.

Same, still having the issue after restarting my phone and confirming the open in YouTube setting was checked.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Stare-Out posted:

They definitely show up in my history, but if they don't mess with the algorithm then that's good.

Weird, YouTube links I watch in AwfulApp never show up in my YouTube history. I’ll intentionally open some videos in YouTube solely to get them in my history so I can watch them later without having to dig through a thread or find a specific post.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Warbird posted:

Has pinch to zoom/unzoom in the app been finicky for anyone else as of late? It doesn’t seem to register but I can’t tell if it’s my hardware being dumb or something weird with the app/OS.

Yes, I’ve had the same problem. I thought it might be from updating to iOS 15 (iPhone 8), as if the sensitivity for pinch to zoom/unzoom had somehow changed, but I don’t know if that’s even a thing or not. It’s not nearly as smooth as it used to be.

Midjack posted:

Yes, an image on the screen seems to interfere with zooming.

Even on just text, I’m noticing it not be as responsive as it was before.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Subjunctive posted:

dog team sound off

WOOF

:woof:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Works fine for me on SE 3.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

datajosh posted:

There's a setting for it now, I think it was added in 16.1. If you go to Settings > [app] > Allow Paste From Other Apps you can set it to Allow instead of Ask.

Well I’ll be damned, thanks!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Regarding the shortcut to upload to imgur, is this still the best way to set that up?

Warbird posted:

Here ya go OP:

Works as well as you could hope, isn’t bound by the app’s API limits, won’t result in your pig testicle photos getting purged*.

*Maybe.

Also, I thought part of the rational behind removing the direct img-to-imgur as it was in the old app was due to imgur's rules changing and all the nonsense related to that, since those links now may die much quicker than in the past. I don't know if there's a better alternative to imgur that's available/preferred at the moment.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Very minor thing, not sure if anyone else really cares about it, but the post preview no longer shows the date/time at the bottom like it used to.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

FlapYoJacks posted:

Throw this on your homepage and call it good.

Testing this:

Edit: It worked :tipshat:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Tenkaris posted:

You definitely can use the shortcut without an Imgur account? None of my shortcut uploads are tied to my Imgur account.

Going off this, how would you even make it tied to an Imgur account? I followed the steps in this post:

FlapYoJacks posted:

Throw this on your homepage and call it good.

And I'm signed into the Imgur app, but nothing I've uploaded through the shortcut shows in my upload history...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

101 posted:

Click the arrow on the Imgur action and disable 'Upload anonymously'

A random test:

Takes their app a bit to update (lol) but it works :tipshat:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Small dumb thing I just noticed: Are there not any platinum icons for the classic or alternative dark themes? I know it shows the grenade icon on the light themes, and on the OLED ones, but not Classic Dark or Alternative Dark.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

ulvir posted:

the update text said something about spooky user icons, do I have to do something for my ghost to not appear as a grenade in the app?

e: seems like it’s an OLED dark issue. requesting custom plat icons there too pretty please

Yeah, and none of the icons (Spooky or the basic grenade) except the mod stars appear in Classic Dark still, even with the app update (iPhone SE 3, iOS 17.0.3 if it matters).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’ve run into that same issue, but it’s only been in crazy active/fast threads, like a football GDT or something similar where there’s often multiple new posts every minute.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Small thing: The new update (I literally just downloaded it a few minutes ago) makes it take a lot longer to save a picture in the app. Before, I’d press on an image and it would pop up and give me the option to save or copy or whatever within a second at most. Now, I have to hold the press for a good 3-5 seconds before the image will be selected.

Current iOS (17.3.1), SE3, if any of that matters.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Stare-Out posted:

Double-tap post to jump no longer works. :(

Still works for me, but I’ve found you have to scroll a hair to get it to work. For example:

MarcusSA posted:

This is a fun bug.

The last post in a thread has its quote, report ect menu backwards lol

On that post from further up the page, I had to scroll down a bit so the name and top of the post wasn’t visible, then the double tap let me jump to the bottom.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

...! posted:

I also am not a fan of the inverted menu

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Small thing, I’m randomly seeing extra spacing between the username and reg date in some places. It will randomly occur midway down a page too.

A pair of quick and dirty screenshots, showing where it randomly happened in two different threads:

Current iOS 17.4, updated version of AwfulApp. Not sure if it started with the iOS update last night, but I’ve seen it off and on today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Testing: