Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

flatluigi posted:

that's a hell of a take right there

You know one of the dumbest things about Something Awful is the tedious, bandwagony hate towards just about any internet personality, almost as a default setting no matter what.

I don't know if Star_ ran into this during his session but the most notable thing to me about TF2's sad state is how loving prolific hackers seem to be now compared to even a few years ago. I started playing again over the last week after I tried to get into Overwatch and bounced off of it, and at least once a day I see some wildly spinning sniper shooting spies and scouts in the head spamming about Lmaobox. Jesus, it's just kind of sad to see things like this honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jippa posted:

They have always been there it's possibly that you are running into them more because of match making.

How's that?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know its far, far gone by now, but I feel like the Jungle Inferno maps deviate too much from TF2's artstyle. Compared to the rustic desert, industrial or Alpine maps I don't think the maps visually work well with the characters and overall theming of the game, especially the dark green you see on the plants in Brazil or Enclosure, and the whole Jungle look doesn't seem 'right' to me. A lot of them just look like custom maps recreating the style of a totally different game altogether.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 27, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I feel like Jungle Inferno's maps reflect a modern updated take on TF2's artstyle, like a lot of the newer cosmetics do compared to the first ones we got back in the day. The problem is that it's still in TF2 instead of being in a theoretical TF3 or something like that, so it clashes with existing older content

I really, really like most of the older maps on a purely visual level and overall I've been impressed at their ability to add new biomes without deviating too much from the overall style, unfortunately the sort of Epcott/Jungle theme they have in the most recent maps just looks wrong to me. Absolutely nobody plays Arena anymore (:() but Lumberyard is one of the prettiest maps they ever added imo and it was doubly impressive at the time it was released since it was a major visual departure from what had dominated every other setting TF2 ever had and still fitted in almost perfectly.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I want to die out of residual shame.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf5u36UQk30

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
5CP is one of the places in the game where you really have to wonder if the 12v12 standard format works at all. It's gets so much better when the player numbers are pared down which one of the reasons I presume it's so popular in sixes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I like doublecross but the sniper sightlines are atrocious. Sometimes you can't walk out into the main bridge at all.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Video Graves posted:

That is why the bottom level is so much fun. Go down there as Demo, sticky jump up to the sniper hut and then rain the pipes down on them!

Doublecross has a ton of options to both attack and defend and having a way to get to the intel that does not pass spawn is why it and Turbine are probably the best CTF maps.

Trouble is half the time the lower level feels less like a cheeky way to grab the enemy with their pants down and more like the only viable route if you don't want to get headshot immediately. I like Doublecross overall but I think it doesn't really fix the main problems that all of the other CTF maps also suffer from in the way that a proper defense is way, way too hard to crack if teams are equal due to things like making sniper sightlines too dangerous, forcing the teams to go by or near the enemy spawn to get the intel and having areas (especially the intel rooms) where 1 or 2 sentries can lock down the place extremely effectively.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Thought this was amusingly idiotic, some guy called Sketchek lied about dying of a terminal illness and it's all come out, straight from him himself, this was seemingly a fairly big deal in the TF2 community when he 'died' and Valve even mentioned it in (as you would) the description for the Axtinguisher after it got buffed.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know this is a long shot, but I need to offload some old items, what's the best place to do TF2 trading that's active and where I won't having to worry about much chicanery?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

Also Helltrain is a strong contender for most visually impressive map in the game's history, it even changes up the rules for CTF to make more sense than the baseline ones

It seems to be a considerably reworked version of an ancient custom CTF map I used to play called Convoy, which I always thought had a cool concept and hoped that something like it would make its way into the game eventually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVisIoy86XM

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Lol I love it, these are screaming out for a good SFM animation.

Part of me hopes its all some complex ARG for the heavy update which will finally come out in Christmas :smith:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

leather fedora posted:

Decided to open the crates I got from the first contract reward pumpkin. Paint case didn't give anything exciting but the crate gave me a Conga Line Unusualifier with all the new exclusive effects. Probably the most valuable thing I've unboxed yet.

I was able to unbox an unusual Horrow Shawl with a Spectral Wick effect, but its hard to tell if these new hats are worth much in the long run.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ArfJason posted:

i spent like 10 hours combined these past two days rocket and sticky jumping. gods greatest gift to gaming and ive neglected it for so long

once i get access to momentum mod noones hearing from me again

I am so fundamentally bad at Rocket Jumping after 14 years of playing, but I've tried to rectify things at least a little on some jump maps lately.

Its really kind of incredible how its such a deep movement mechanic that there's a whole subculture built around turning this team based first person shooter into an extremely complex and skill based 3D platformer. I almost wish something like TF2 explosive jumping was spun off into an entire game of its own because there's nothing quite like it and it could certainly support a standalone game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I just received an unprompted trade offer for 45 keys in exchange for a handful of my hats and weapons that have Halloween spells on them. On the one hand this is obviously way below value because they're just sending out this offer blind, on the other hand I don't play this game any more and Halloween spell items are generally harder to estimate a value for and sell on the marketplace so I'm tempted to just do it.

Is there a good resource for prices for spelled stuff?

The stuff they want (weapons have exorcism, spells for cosmetics in parenthesis) is:
Crone's Dome (die job)
Pan
Killstreak Bat Outta Hell
Strange Killstreak Scattergun
Flying Guillotine
Winger
Tyrant's Helm (painted pink as hell) (die job)
Mutton Chops and Pipe (for the solider from the Grordbort's set) (die job)
Original
Strange Killstreak Cow Mangler
Killstreak Direct Hit
Disciplinary Action
Strange Killstreak Scorch Shot
Powerjack
Strange Neon Annihilator
Strange Killstreak Loch n Load
Strange Persian Persuader
Strange Killstreak Sydney Sleeper
Killstreak Huntsman

Ooof, you see its very hard to prices things easily when you're talking about halloween spells, so its always a bit up in the air if you aren't completely immersed in the trading scene. I'll say that they are probably the 'hottest' items going these days though. PM me if you want to talk about it though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Let it be known that Baron von Eevl is a cool guy and a pleasure to do business with, he even gave me a taunt for free.

If anybody else wants to unload any items they think are worth something hit me up in the PMs.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

VideoGames posted:

Yeah the strange gunslinger was one of my lucky crate opens. And a while back I whacked a prof killstreak kit on it.

This explains why so many random people with TF2 inventories on their front page try adding me as of late.

That was like double lucky since you already had to find crate 30 in the first place, which also goes for ridiculous amounts of money.

If you, or anyone else, do ever want to sell that stuff for actual usable money and not get scammed, hit me up.

Otacon posted:

Yes, every other day for my account. All of them have PC specs in their profile and that they do TF2 modeling or coding or map making or whatever.

Every single one is an F2P account that used a program to get all the free Uncraftable weapon rewards. Easy to check. Instant ignore/block. They try to trick you into logging in to a phishing website to play in their comp match.

EDIT: Crate 30/40/50 were the limited drop crates with those valuable stranges. Very rare and not a guarantee that you'll get a valuable strange.

People ought to be aware of these because its everywhere, they all have 2 year old accounts, use an anime girl profile pic and have this exact same description on their profile copy pasted in hundreds of accounts:

quote:

I'm a 3d artist (now I'm developing tf2 maps). Blender + Using 3x3090 to render
I've been playing tf2 since 2015. My fav maps is cp_sunshine and cp_gorge.
Let me know if you need my skills in development. Feel free to add me.

Another weird thing that happened to me literally yesterday is that somebody who I've been steam friends (not actual friends, haven't talked in years) sent me a message with an obvious phishing link claiming that this was his new profile. It was a literally 16 year old account with tons of games so I think he must have gotten hacked himself.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 31, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Just imagine, they may finally finish the bi-monthly comic.

Hell, if they go whole hog and release an animated short, I'll buy every item in the store.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Okay, thanks. I love the idea of randomly coming across an Unusual from unboxing a crate, but I don't love the idea of constantly throwing money trying to chase a payout.

As far as trading for an Unusual, is it better to buy one directly on the Steam marketplace, buy from a third-party website, or trade in-game on a trade server? How do you avoid getting scammed when making a trade? I've heard of stuff like that happening in trades.

Also, do you normally trade items or keys for Unusuals?

Saying this as somebody who lucked into an unusual Cosa Nostra Cap with a great effect, do not open crates for unusuals, the odds are always against you if you are looking to cover the costs of the keys you spend to open the crates, you are better off just seeking out the particular hat and effect you want and buying it. Most unusuals go for a surprisingly low amount of keys these days, especially the ones that can technically still be unboxed from reasonably common crates. The super valuable ones are primarily from old crates that cannot be opened anymore which had unique effects that will never reappear, this particularly applies to the early series Halloween crates when you could get stuff like Knifestorm or Hellfire effects, these are older hats which will always have a very limited supply that will never get any higher, barring some possible glitch and duping chicanery if someone figures that out before Valve quashes it.

There are some crates that are still extant that can pop out very valuable hats and effects, especially the invasion update crates, the issue there is that those specific crates themselves are finite in supply and there will never be any new ones added to the game, so the cost of the crates themselves are very high in part because they are increasingly rare and because the prospect of unboxing the fabled Nebula Corona Australis (which goes for more than 3000 keys and is one of the most valuable items in the game) drives up the price of the crates further.

Its hard to know what the best approach is for buying unusuals, but generally if you aren't going for the super valuable stuff your best bet is probably to buy keys for prices lower than you would pay for them on the in-game store in a third party site (marketplace.tf is considered reliable and sells them for 2.05 dollars each) and then looking for some unusuals advertised on the classifieds on Backpack.tf. As I said you can see there are tons of very cheap unsuals you can pick up here, some of them go for less than 10 keys, which is a way better bet than potentially spending 120 keys unboxing crates for the same hat. If you want to be a bit more hands on you can also advertise that you are willing to buy an unusual on the same site for whatever amount of keys you are willing to throw at it. Basic buying and selling rules apply so you might have a better time spending less money but more time haggling with people for what you want if you show interest. You can use steam marketplace for less hassle, but the prices tend to be worse there overall in part because Valve takes a cut of its own that's not present in the reputable third party sites.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 2, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

Of course how much you'll end up spending is also dependent on what kind of hat you're going for, if it's a single class hat you probably won't have to pay too much(assuming neither the hat or effect are particularly rare) while an all-class hat is going to be a bit more

Also hats for Scout and Soldier (the best classes :mmmhmm:) tend to be much more valuable on average than hats for a class like Heavy and Engineer (the worst classes :mmmhmm:), which tends to reflect the fact that classes popular in competitive among really dedicated players will see a lot more demand for high tier hats.

Oddly though, despite this Demoman hats are on the lower end of things price wise.

Unusual miscs are also extremely valuable compared to hats, partly because it means you can hypothetically have multiple Unusual items equipped simultaneously, and partly because some of them are technically glitched items which Valve "fixed" later on, making the existing ones very rare with no possibility of new ones legitimately coming into being again.

Conversely, some types of hats have comparatively depressed prices, notably the robot hats from the robotic boogaloo update which are generally not popular, though confusingly the actual effects from that update are popular which means the robocrates are quite a lot more valuable than most old crates.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 2, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RandolphCarter posted:

Let’s say I can get my hands on a unusual blighted beak with the haunted ghost effect and wanted to sell it what would be a good price?

If you put the work in you might be able to flip it for 600 dollars roughly (or in and around 300-350 keys). The fact that its a misc with a reasonably good first gen effect makes it very valuable.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Peanut President posted:

I should note he also does VA for DOTA2

Why did you have to do this to me?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This is the most meaningless possible complaint, but I hate the way that cosmetics with alternate styles are now simply called 'Style 1' or 'Style 2' unless the item contributor specified otherwise. A bit like the long abandoned hat descriptions it just indicates that Vale is completely on auto-pilot when it comes to these updates and don't even add a smidgen of the character they used to.

Jeez, I remember like 10 years ago they had a hat describing contest for hats at the time without them and we got some fun descriptions out of that, just do that again and give people a community hat or something as a reward, the community would trip over itself to partake and Valve could do what it does best in doing as little work as humanly possible while relying on the user created content to keep things going.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

I do wonder why they haven't reintroduced the Halloween item spells in some manner or another, should be easy enough to do even with how few people work on the game these days

They seem to consider the in game economy at least partially with decisions like that and if they ever brought back the old spells it would wreck absolute chaos (amusing chaos, but still).

I did hear somewhere that spells were very taxing on the game's stability so it probably wasn't the best idea in the first place and explains why they dropped them after only 2 years.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 18, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I do like Steel quite a lot, it was very unique compared to the other maps when it came out and I appreciate the variety of routes that a lot of people otherwise find confusing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's wild coming back to the community after like 7-8 years and seeing this being such a prevalent mindset. I remember back in the day lots of people thought snipers were near useless - I remember seeing posts along the lines of "well demoman and soldier get more kills than sniper, and can more easily destroy engie nests! why would you ever want a sniper??"

I also find this really interesting, I've played TF2 on and off for most of my teenage and adult life and through the years I remember all the different classes that were perceived as unfair, overpowered BS. Anyone remember the hatred towards Pyro just as a class at all with them being called "W+M1, brainless bullshit"? That reached its peak with the Backburner and got a second wind with the Phlog (which admittedly I do think is an amazingly stupid weapon).

Then it moved to Heavy, especially after the minigun wind up and wind down buffs, like people here would constantly mockingly talk about the 'skillhose' and how it was mathematically impossible for a scout to kill a heavy if both played perfectly even if he was able to get a full meatshot on a completely unaware, unspun up heavy. There was so much discourse about things like the GRU, Sandvich, Natascha and Tomislav for years. I actually do have a lot of intrinsic problems with heavy and his place in the game to this day but the days of major controversy for him mostly seem to be over.

Then there was the Engineer, again, this class has a slightly problematic core design philosophy in that he exists to lock down areas and create hard to break defences, which is a key problem in making all too many maps very hard to push on in a full server, but it was the gunslinger that made him extremely controversial for a long time. I remember finding that odd because for the first couple of years after it was released people seemed to love the gunslinger and the fact that it made him more flexible while also reducing his ability to make areas very hard to pass, but at some point the GS became one of the most hated weapons in the game because of his ability to quickly create a 100HP aimbot and they ended up nerfing the build speed and health when being constructed.

Then there was the Spy, with seemingly endless arguments about things like the Dead Ringer and Spycicle, I don't even want to get into that.

Then there was the Demoman, with the controversies about the stickybomb launcher and his ability to blast out an huge amount of damage compared to other classes, which ultimately resulted in what seems to me to be one of the most major nerfs in the history of TF2 when they gave it damage ramp up.

And now we're at the Sniper, the core class hasn't really changed much at all in more than 15 years, but I feel like I've only recently heard this chorus about how he's ruining the game and is a fundamentally problematic class? Like there were always complaints about this or that in years past but nothing like this, it kind of feels like the zeitgeist just moves from one class to the next without much rhyme or reason.

The only class that seems broadly uncontroversial is the Soldier it seems, but maybe his time will come if the Sniper gets a nerf and people start talking about how its bullshit that he can two shot 8 out of 9 classes. Even the scout seems to have some controversy concerning his dominance in 6s and I've seen some people argue that the Medic doesn't work very well because he's too passive compared to combat classes which make him sort of boring while also being too crucial in the course of the game that you simply can't do without one, and stacking medics is banned in every competitive mode.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ninjewtsu posted:

I feel like I've been complaining about sniper for nearly a decade, I don't believe any of this is new and this isn't even getting into people being furious about body shots for that length of time

Bodyshots aren't a particularly serious complaint because its mostly coming from a perceived lack of skill from the other side, like a sniper who can't do much more than bodyshot has comically terrible DPS.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

the holy poopacy posted:

You just described exactly the process of how the meta changes over time as balance adjustments are made. Several of the meta complaints you talk about were explicit responses to buffs those classes received, and others emerged as bigger problems got removed that previously overshadowed them.

And it's not like nobody noticed these issues before. 6s put a 1x limit on Heavy and Demo very early on, and that was partly to discourage stacking turtley classes that slowed the game down, but the limit wouldn't have been necessary if they weren't capable of overpowering other compositions.

I dunno, I just find it hard not to think there's a bit of a bandwagon phenomenon with some of the complaints over time, where its not really that big a deal but kind of becomes a meme that then valve feels they have to fix because of some loud players. This feels most acute with these sniper discussions because we're basically talking about the class as it exists by default, and that basically hasn't changed at all since 2008. Looking at the update history for the sniper rifle there were some tweaks regarding zoom delay and quick switch exploits in the first few months of the game's life and... that's it, they essentially have not touched the default sniper at all since then. Through all of the ups and downs of the game, for most of its history people accepted the sniper in this state that it wasn't something valve felt needed to be addressed.

Obviously people can disagree, but I truly never got the impression that default Sniper was some major problem that needs to be fixed because he's damaging the game until maybe a year ago. People said this or that about bodyshots or not being man enough to fight in the thick of things in the past, but it feels like its gotten a lot more pronounced lately and I'm not really that convinced by most of the arguments, especially things like close range headshots considering how hard it is for the sniper to actually do that and how skill or luck dependent it is as a result. Frankly if somebody headshots me as a scout when I'm in meatshot range I tend to think 'poo poo, well done' more than 'gently caress this stupid rear end class valve, NERF THEM!'.

I will admit though, its certainly true that sniper sightlines are miserable to deal with on particular poorly designed maps, but then I think that's more to do with the maps being crap more than sniper being a bad class for the game, though it does add an additional complexity to map design that can be hard to factor in. I always think Doublecross is the worst example of a map that can be very fun but overbearing sniper sightlines can really spoil things.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 13, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPFCp-3Dx0
Sick taunt, wanna see it next update.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

whiskas posted:

Anyone know of any populated pubs that have sniper banned entirely?

Dizz posted:

Also Spy.

besides that stuff, how do players improve their play? havent played for a long loving time and im still bad at the game.

While I've gone on the record saying I don't agree with most of the anti-sniper sentiment these days some guy on youtube actually did run a server for 3 days with sniper completely banned and got some data on the before and after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXGwko225k

According to him it basically didn't effect the game much at all beyond making particular chokepoints a lot less dangerous. Now, I imagine that the result could be very different in a much more high skill environment but I thought it was funny nonetheless.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Xakura posted:

"Some dude" is shounic, who does some amazing tf2 bug videos.

:shrug: Haven't payed much attention to who are the currently big TF2ubers over the last few years.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dizz posted:

Is there a tf2 trade thread? also are there recommended maps to pick or not pick for casual play? i know some maps are just poo poo aside from me just blocking all CTF maps.

I mean, when it comes down to it you just want to play maps you enjoy right? Do you like Payload? Attack/Defend? 5 CP?

I'll say that I always find King of the Hill maps great for quick, fluid games that sharpen your skills and tend not to inculcate negative habits that you tend to get in extremely chokey and poorly designed maps like 2fort and Goldrush.

The TF2 trade thread is pretty much defunct, I do some trading myself though so you can PM me if you are looking for stuff or advice.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I mean on something like Upward, I doubt its going to hugely improve my play experience if there's no Snipers around since I'll get roadblocked by engineers, heavies and demomen anyway.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've always been a bit confused by demoknight, it's such a drastic change in role and playstyle, I almost wonder if they should have added a tenth class to fill that niche, or added it to a different close-range-focused class like pyro.

I think its pretty basic, they simply did not know what to do with Demoman as a core class because he's always been bordering on overpowered in the right hands since day one and there's not really many obvious places to go with him to fill out some potential weak areas with sidegrades with a related downside.

I think there's two ways that unlockable weapons are meant to work, especially the initial unlocks from the first run of class specific updates. The first is covering obvious weak areas that a class has by default with an option that does better out of their comfort zone, but has the trade off of being less effective in their area they excel by default. Consider the Pyro's Flare Gun, which I think is one of the best weapons ever added to the game in letting him have a long range attack without unbalancing the whole class that also has a high skill ceiling with its fire combos. There's also the Gunslinger and Huntsman which are clearly intended to draw these respective classes out of their comfort zones and give them new options with them both being able to fight better in a frontline role, though with many, many controversies over the years. For the Demoman this is hard because he kind of just doesn't really have those kinds of weaknesses that can be addressed, he's a beast in both defensive and offensive play and his biggest issue might be having to worry about self damage at close range, but intruding on that is a bad idea that cheapens the identity of the class and can be a nightmare to balance.

The other option is to go the other direction and explore the core elements associated with a class or their weapons and heighten them further, with associated downsides and in an organic kind of way, you can see this with the Direct Hit and it being intended to reward Soldiers who have good aim and can consistently land airshots, or the Force-a-Nature which is meant to exaggerate Scout's usual playstyle of trying to get the drop on enemies at very close range with their massive initial burst damage at the cost of their long term stamina in a fight. Its hard to explore Demoman's quirks like this, but they did make a stab with the Scottish Resistance which came out the same update where the basic idea was to highlight him actually being a defensive class as opposed to a uniquely flexible frontline combatant that he had settled into when the update was released. That never really caught on but to be fair they were a bit more creative later on with the Loose Cannon which is a bit weird but interesting exploration of what you can do with good aim with the Grenade Launcher.

So I think that Valve, looking at the Demoman, and how he both didn't really have any glaring weaknesses that needed attention or that many areas that can be developed on in his core gameplay without being hard to balance, decided to just kind of give up and went for a third option which was just create a goofy gimmick where balance doesn't really matter all that much and you can run around screaming and making Highlander references.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason why when I've discussed rebalancing Sniper in the past it centers around nerfing Quick Scoping and not Sniper as a whole, he just needs to be slowed down

Quick scoping is not the problem and will not get rid of the core frustrations that people have fighting sniper, which is the frustrating feeling of being killed instantly from a distance where you couldn't do anything about it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

cock hero flux posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's really just how the game works. You get into a bad fight against a good player and you die quickly and without being able to do much about it. Walk into a door a demoman has trapped? Dead. Turned your back on a spy? Dead. Let a scout get close when you're playing any class listed after Heavy? Dead. Went outside against a bombing soldier? Dead. Turn a corner into a Level 3 Sentry? Dead. That's just how it is. The way to avoid it is to have the game sense not to get into that situation in the first place. Once you're in it, the only way for you to survive is for your opponent to gently caress up trying to kill you. It's frustrating but pretty much any class in the game will be inflicting it regularly(except medic, but failing to kill someone because they had an extra 100 health or just plain became invincible is frustrating enough, too). As frustrating as it may be, there is no way around it. If you want to look at what TF2 would be like if you removed everything that allows this to happen, it's called Overwatch and from experience I can concretely say it is not an improvement.

I'm not sure why Sniper, whose core mechanic has been unchanged for 15 years and was already a toned down version of what snipers are like in other games, has recently been singled out like he's unique in this matter. Maybe it's something to do with the bots infesting casual, or the increasing popularity of maps that favour him. But he's really not an egregious example of this compared to anyone else. That is the game, that's always been the game. The only difference between sniper and the rest is that you don't get the half a second of panicked flailing before the second rocket hits you to make you feel like you had a chance. It's the same situation: you got into a bad fight, and your survival depends on your opponent's incompetence.

I actually agree with you, especially about how it feels he's become a whipping boy recently, I just think that nerfing quickscoping, which is usually a highly skilled tactic so it will be penalizing good players more than anyone else, won't help very much with people's general frustrations with Sniper which are fundamentally core elements of the class. At that rate I think its a problem people have with the game as a whole that Sniper exists within it.

Ariong posted:

Stock Demoman does have an area of weakness: When someone gets into point-blank range he doesn’t have an effective way of dealing with that problem without killing himself in the process, and he’s also slow so he can’t get away easily. Demoknight stuff, by offering mobility and close-range effectiveness at the expense of explosive power, thus fits perfectly into the mold of “makes the class better at the thing they are bad at but worse at the thing they are good at.”

I did mention the self damage issue, but I just don't think it matters all that much compared to something like the Sniper getting a lot more wobbly as he gets closer to danger or the Engineer being tied to Sentry nest that takes a lot of time to set up? Like very few engagements are actually at point blank range, melee weapons as a whole aren't really that relevant which is why they tend to be used for the most extreme gimmicks in the game and why the default weapons are almost all strictly worse than most of the unlocks except for the Spy's knife and the Engie's wrench (with the latter having functionality totally unrelated to melee combat).

Close range is technically a weakness for stock Demoman but he can still control his enemies movement at close range with stickies or simply hit them directly with pipes, its not really a glaring weakness IMO and the extra range from the swords doesn't make enough difference for it to really be a significant consideration. Almost invariably people will pair the Eyelander or Persian Persuader with a shield to get the best use out of them at which point you basically aren't playing a class even vaguely similar to Demoman at all, especially if you've gone all in and equipped the booties too.

drrockso20 posted:

Actually it is the core frustration, since even a slightly above average Sniper can with a decent amount of consistency Quick Scope 3 to 5 people in almost as many seconds and stuff a push or punch a hole in a defense, if he had to wait the full 3.3 seconds to charge up the shot each time it would make him a lot easier to deal with while still allowing him to do his job of taking out high priority targets

If this was a really significant problem I think that Sniper's overpowered nature would have a much bigger impact on the game, but as that video I posted yesterday suggests, him not even existing doesn't actually change that much. How many times do you actually see a mediocre Sniper kill 3 people in like 15 seconds?

I think Quickscopes have just become a fixation when people have bigger issues with the class and getting rid of it won't fix that frustration, but it will make sniper more sluggish, less rewarding and have a lower skill ceiling for people who like to play the class.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 27, 2023

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I honestly hate the Razorback and think its one of the worst things ever added to the game. I was talking yesterday about how I think Valve's philosophy worked with unlocks and the Razorback is the dumbest possible way of giving the Sniper a method of dealing with his Spy weakness, just nullify one of their attacks with no active play at all on the part of the Sniper, it serves literally no purpose beyond that at all. Its so brainless and crude.

I'm sure other people who actually play competitive can speak to this better than me but I've heard its actually kind of controversial in competitive since it just removes one of his main counters and with a reasonably well oiled team a pistol Spy is never really a problem and the Sniper can rely on his teammates to make up for his lack of an actual secondary, is this true?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Countblanc posted:

it does make him weaker to enemy snipers and spam since he can't be overhealed or pocketed as effectively while he has it equipped, so it's not totally free in competitive. i can't speak for others but i watch a good amount of comp and don't see it used that often in highlander

The heal nerf is relatively recent (er, in TF2 terms, 2017 so for 8 years the razorback didn't have it). Was that added specifically because of the competitive concerns I mentioned since a medic could just overheal a good Razorback sniper and he was a real pain in the rear end to get rid of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ninjewtsu posted:

i think that video upthread pretty well showed that the role they serve in the "tf2 ecosystem" isn't particularly meaningful to begin with. without snipers players get a little more clustered around the main chokes but not so much so that explosive classes are a major deterrent to doing that. heavies piling on a cart are tougher to stop until they hit a corner where explosive classes can murder them off, and then once they're off the cart it's still difficult for a critical heavy mass to get back on the cart again. i can't imagine these are problems that must be uniquely solved by the sniper, if they even really warrant "solving"

Its an interesting video, but I think that we should be careful drawing too much from it since it wasn't exactly scientific.

An issue I tend to agree with is that Sniper tends to be most obnoxious in maps that naturally lend themselves to difficult chokepoints, especially payload and CTF, which makes him an outsized problem for the players that like to play on things like Upward or Swiftwater when he's less of an issue on more fluid maps like five CP or KOTH (well, excluding Harvest at least). I also think that the general chaos and high player counts cheapen his role in pub servers, he not meaningfully interacting with the overall flow of the game as a pick class when nobody really gives a poo poo about organization and people generally aren't skilled enough to use Medics effectively, and even then when its 12 a side there might just be another medic around the corner to use if the one in front of you gets his head blown off. Sniper gets dramatically more useful in higher skill settings with less players on the field, especially comp where a good one can completely decimate the enemy team and make a counter-sniper almost mandatory if he appears.

Reiley posted:

That beam as presented is an extreme max technical slider, min aesthetic slider solution to Snipers. I'm sure it "works" but it looks really cheap and hacky.

Its just a slapdash experiment by a youtuber, its hardly like aesthetic is that important in that context. I'm sure if Valve ever did something like this they'd make it a lot prettier (maybe the beam would most obvious on the surface the sniper is looking at and slowly fade out as it gets further away?)