Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

gary oldmans diary posted:

oh man you can just see seraphs fantasy here

"why didnt we listen to his vast wisdom before it was too late"
"if we beg at his feet might he throw a scrap to us?"

I can't wait to become a multimillionaire so I can spend all my time on a forum trying to convince a bunch of mocking strangers that I'm a multimillionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

NevrStopStacknSats posted:

The long-term trend is the same despite the dips. This thing doesn't stop until it's eaten the whole drat financial world.

At 4.6 transactions/second.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

NonstopFiatCrashin posted:

First of all, Bitcoin is much more than just a currency. More to the point, if the goalposts are now being shifted to "world reserve currency" status, you nocoiners have surely gotten desperate!

Yes, Bitcoin will eventually be the standard by which everything else is measured. No, we're obviously not there yet.

Eh, crypto might be, but it probably won't be Bitcoin. There's just no realistic way to speed up the transactions/second. The network simply isn't scalable enough.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

xtal posted:

I mean, it's a fundamental principle of computing and expected knowledge of any computer scientist in the last decade...

Alright, I'm a Computer Science major and a Computer Science teacher, and so far, reading your posts has revealed to me that either I know nothing about Computer Science, or you don't.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Now I'm no cryptographer, but one of the major uses for Bitcoin is money laundering, so..

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

The gently caress are you so smug about? You don't understand it either. No one does. Actually building it requires solving a problem so complex that doing so would probably net one a Nobel Prize, and the ramifications of doing so would have such dramatic effects that the benefit to Bitcoin would be trivial in comparison.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Tiax Rules All posted:

Here's a great video breaking down the history of Tether. It's a summary of what most people in this thread probably already know, but it's well-made and encouraging to see awareness of Tether becoming more mainstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-whuXHSL1Pg

MOUNT GOX

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

ikanreed posted:

How would you even implement a blockchain without already having a transport layer defined?

Literally who are you talking to? All of your direct links?

Just a planet-wide dumb hub.

The collision domain would be horrific.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Tl;dr:

https://youtu.be/Y7pz7CqWTMs

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

punishedkissinger posted:

I"m pretty sure Bitcoin only made them enough money to ~visit~ a pool

still very impressive

He owns the NFT for that photo of the pool.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Vashro posted:

I think I have greatly underestimated both how much peoples internet avatar means to them and how much extra money people have

I mean, look at some of the avatar accessories on gaiaonline. Some sell for goddamn Paris apartments.

Internet people are loving insane.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Oops, I left out the part where anyone who wants to sell their Bezoscoins back to me can, but I will pay them in Dollarcoins, which is fair because Dollarcoins have a guaranteed value of $1 due to the value of the bezoscoins backing them up.

When's the part where you get "hacked" and mysteriously vanish?

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

never mind bitrot and bit decay of drives in ac buildings, but wouldnt a drive in a lireraly tonnage pile with decaying wet biomatter ruin it by now?

Yes, the drive is more than likely completely ruined by now.

But this is a crypto idiot. They know nothing about computers. If he does find the drive, he'll be shocked it even got dirty, let alone ruined by being filled with garbage water for a few years.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

CoolCab posted:

data that valuable you could afford the real high end data recovery services; I imagine the biggest gamble would be that the platter got damaged directly somehow. no recovery method would be too esoteric or expensive.

Well, maybe not at current market prices...

There also comes a time when the damage is just too extreme. This thing has been submerged in who loving knows what, compacted, bulldozed, exposed to extreme heat (decomposition gets surprisingly hot), left in the elements for years, and who even knows what else. There's a chance data could be recovered, but even then, it would likely be an incomplete recovery.

Edit: and hell, it's possible that it got scavenged at some point between his home and the dump and isn't even there at all.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 29, 2022

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Sailor Viy posted:

Once I met a guy who was a professor studying data recovery, he said he could get data off drives that had been set on fire or smashed into multiple pieces. So I reckon there would be a non-zero chance of getting it in this case.

Yeah, using an electron microscope, he could recover literal bits of data, maybe even a few sequential bytes if he's super lucky.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

gregday posted:

There’s a Lot of people who still hold to the adage that digital data can never be truly deleted because that was true for hard drives in the 80s and early 90s but platter technology has become so dense now that it doesn’t take much to make it irrecoverable

It was pretty mythologized even then. When a bit is overwritten, it is gone. If you can recover a value that once occupied a sector, then you essentially have a means of storing a zero and a one simultaneously. Manufacturers could triple drive capacity overnight, even on already existing products.

Law enforcement agencies worked hard to promote the image that they could magically restore any data deleted ever (you might as well tell us if you deleted anything, because we'll find that too and then you'll be facing destruction of evidence charges as well), but the ability is very overstated and is basically only possible if the deleted sector has not yet stored a new bit.

If it has, even once, then the value it once held no longer exists. There are ways to extrapolate missing values when you have enough of the original file they came from, but a simple zeroing out of a drive renders it unrecoverable, even on older tech.

New poo poo is even more impossible. Flash media makes writes to the drive even when mounted read-only, and the sector density is in the nanometers. Few tools short of an electron microscope can narrow their focus sufficiently to even try to recover a sector, and still stand a solid chance of altering or destroying nearby sectors in the attempt.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 30, 2022

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

spunkshui posted:

Why do all of the people handing their money over to the man who promises to magically double it never loving ask why he doesn’t just keep doubling his own drat money.

Because they worship the rich and are desperate to believe that the rich are generous and kind.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I can’t really identify any specific event I’d attach it to, but it feels like NFTs really have just fallen off the face of the earth completely. Obviously it was all fake bullshit, but it feels like a regression in scam sophistication—it’s back to Bitcoin and Ethereum, though at least Ethereum isn’t PoW anymore (not that it should exist at all).

There's still bus and subway ads for various NFT scams here in Korea, but I've never heard a single person even mention it in person.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hodl my dognl posted:

20k = moon
60k = Mercury
100k = Jupiter
250k = the sun
500k = galactic singularity
1 mil = universal singularity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
There have been like 100000 posts since I last read this thread and I heard bitcoin was up.

So what's up with that? Also did that guy who keeps getting permaed ever drop his "i don't do crypto now" act?

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think even a nuclear apocalypse would convince these people its over

They would be holding their worthless shares while the world go up in flames

Well, yeah, these are the same people who think a blockchain-based economy would survive the destruction of the Internet.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Boxturret posted:

why do people always forget the blueberries

Impossible to tell the difference.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

DicktheCat posted:

Hello bitcoin thread, I'm here once again to ask my perennial question:

Has any legitimate use of blockchain technology developed, yet?

I just want to know if blockchain has literally any application other than scamming people.

In a strictly technical sense, yes. It can do pretty much anything a centralized database can do.

It just does it very poorly and introduces a ton of problems that just don't pop up with normal databases, such as being able to alter or delete records.

There doesn't ever seem to be a use case where a blockchain is the only, or even the better choice.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

JammyB posted:

I went for a stroll yesterday and accidentally ended up in an uncanny valley, and I can confirm - not being a physics smarteyman - I loving hated it.

You just have to collapse the waveform by looking at stuff or some poo poo.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

more falafel please posted:

midway in the 90s was basically all Coke Guys

Dumb Kid Me read that as only people good at the game don't do drugs, like some kind of trash talk, I guess, so maybe they just suck at it and I read it correctly.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 19, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Gutcruncher posted:

I pine for the days of the guy begging for Disney to give him the Talespin IP for free and trying to open a bitcoin movie theater that features every movie ever made and hundreds of sodas.

And that guy who swallowed a thumb drive because he saw a black man and panicked.

And Bruce. Bruce was magical.

Who was the budding guitarist who refused to ever take lessons and expected to be as skilled as Hendrix in like, 6 months?

Gutcruncher posted:

I like when we convinced Bruce to have Atlas on his show and after the segment of insane rambling about private bitcoin armies he looked right at the camera and said “you got me.”

Atlas was disturbing. His insistence that his use of covert mining software (that he didn't write or pay for) to steal CPU time was morally acceptable because any theft under 25 cents isn't significant enough to warrant concern was worrying.

He just didn't get that it was the fact he was willing to steal from partners that was the issue, not the value of what he stole. I hope he grew up and learned better.

His attempt at code auditing was loving hilarious, though.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 24, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Boxturret posted:

Still waiting on that amazing new bitcointalk forum software.

They'll finish it once Atlas finishes the Oolong Machine so people can finally go see Dank in concert.

I heard he's playing at some theater that has literally every soda flavor on tap.

Edit: Demo Mode

zetamind2000 posted:

was that the same show where we briefly had an early bitcoin cinematic universe crossover when teenage scammer atlas was given an interview?

I'm sorry to embarrass you like this but how the gently caress did you forget the true star of that show; the cell phone we spammed until it fell off the chair?

Hard to believe that was so long ago. There was another scammer in Korea that opened a fake school and kept trying to get me to meet up with him so he could prove he was an honorary police officer or some poo poo.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 24, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
^^^ Yeah, this ^^^

Paladinus posted:

Just noticing now that he managed to misspell Bitcoin in the thread title, lmao.

It's probably the daemon, so bitcoind is likely the name of the executable he pulled the source from.

vvv Okay, okay, I'm a goon, I get it vvv

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Oh god kill me

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I didn’t know you could melt people in court rooms

You swear in on a Bible for a reason.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

tango alpha delta posted:

I thought that that was The Ark Of The Covenant

Well, no one knows where that is so you make do.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Well then, this seems legit.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Brake Rotor Advice posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xH1vBuDbBA

HOLDING IS A USE CASE.

It's called store of value.

I see people post things like, "Bitcoin is meant to be used. If 70% hasn't moved, then it's not being used."

A post like this assumes that Bitcoin's utility is only being met if it is spent to purchase something. But why would I use Bitcoin to buy something when I can use a softer currency like USD? I live in a major city. There are merchants around me that accept Bitcoin, but I still don't spend it.

The only time I'll EVER use Bitcoin to buy something is if I've run out of fiat USD, or if the merchant ONLY accepts Bitcoin. So until then, it'll remain in cold storage.

---

Bitcoin's properties are and always will be unique to bitcoin.

Could another coin be created? Yes. But ask yourself, who would do the creating?

Imagine you want to be the guy to create a new one. You clone bitcoin code, change some variables and names, and then put it out there. Or even get clever and write a new protocol from scratch, it doesn't matter. Then what? Who is going to use it? Nobody seems to care. So you assemble a marketing team or invite your friends and families to "invest" their dollars to bring you funds needed to get developers, servers and marketing to get the word out. Maybe you entice these friends by giving them some coins upfront before anybody in the public could have a chance to obtain them fairly. Still it's just you and a handful of colleagues running your nodes in a very centralized fashion, trying to entice the world at large to come play with you in a decentralized and leaderless way, despite being centralized with leadership.

You see the problem here? You are a person or small group of people with financial incentives to "pump" your new coin to the world. And for what reason? So you can ultimately exit - i.e.. "dump" your coins on retail.

Everything that's NOT bitcoin, was created in this way, with these motivations. A person or people who created the coin and remain in control of the coin or token with the intention of profit.

Bitcoin was created and given to the world by an anonymous person before there was any monetary incentive, and it grew in a grass-roots way without any leadership, without any central authority or early/insider/unfair access to profits.

This sort of "immaculate conception" can only happen once. All the imitators will can never share Bitcoin's best properties, in part because Satoshi Nakamoto is unique among crypto creators. It appears he/she/they acted without an interest in personal gain, considering none of their coins have ever moved.

---

The dollar will continue to fall against Bitcoin

Why? I can't speak to other nations, but I can guarantee you that the debt of the United States will be inflated away. In practice it will be a soft default, and the quality of pensions and entitlements will be inflated away. There is no need to cut spending, if you simply devalue it via inflation, and it's far easier politically to deal with it that way. I cannot recommend Nate Hagens two recent podcasts enough:
Luke Gromen: "Peak Cheap Oil and the Global Reserve Currency" | The Great Simplification #91
Doomberg: "Our Fragile Energy Economy" | The Great Simplification #83

The dollar is clearly overvalued at the moment, but international trade is still reliant on it, which even hints at a deliberate printing of excess dollars, that are traded for international assets while time still is. This will only last so long. There is a few terminal events that have and will take place. When the US defaulted on bonds held by the Russian state with the war in Ukraine as the official cause, it in simple terms signaled to all US trade partners, that the US is willing to default on debt if they don't like you. China saw that, and the Chinese is divesting as bonds and treasuries mature. This is maybe the first nail in the coffin, as US dollars can be increasingly risky to hold if you are politically vulnerable.

The question then remains on the extent that large countries and commodity producing countries are willing to increasingly hold other currencies than the dollar for international trade. Rather then saying that the dollar will be replaced, its possible we will see a bit of a multipolar currency regime, where rubles, yuan, dollars and the rupee will "normalize" their exchange rates. The value of the dollar will decline, imports will be more expensive and yes inflation will arise. And its possible that only way out for the Americans is war, which is the scary part.
So yeah, there are domestic reasons for increased inflation, while international political shifts take effect as well.
Whether the nominal debt is 10 or 100 trillion matters not. Nobody feels that. What matters is the future price of eggs, bread. potatoes, concrete, oil and gas in hours worked equivalents. All but a tiny few will feel that.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1TqiPpyJs

The five stages of nocoiner grief:
Denial:

Anger:

Bargaining:

Depression:

Acceptance:

I didn't read a single word of this.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

MechaCrash posted:

That left out the best part of these things.

They friggin' lost one, but they're like "naw, we know where it is, so it still counts."

Money is fake, makes sense.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

SRQ posted:

if seraph really believed what he said he'd be desperate to stop people from buying more BTC because that devalues his own

Maybe, but Crypto is very culty so the urge to prosthelityze is pretty intense.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Surely you can't be surprised by this.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Mercury_Storm posted:

lol that even a major game company, when selling out for crypto game poo poo, can't even be bothered put half an rear end of effort into dogshit NFT games

Why would they, though? NFT morons will slurp this poo poo up regardless, so why waste time and money on it? It'll die in a month and possibly earn them more than a AAA title would by a very wide margin.

It's basically even lower-effort gacha poo poo.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Tevery Best posted:

Conversely, let's say the actual item stats are not inherent to the NFT, but maintained by the game itself and the NFT only governs ownership. If the devs mint an NFT of an in-game item that's hideously overpowered, it would be insanity for them to nerf it. This is what the "won't be patched out" part that someone raised a little upthread refers to. After all, if you actually reduce the utility of the NFT, that's wrecking "investor" confidence, driving down the NFT price, and hurting your own bottom line. Right? Not only that, but you will balance your game further in such a way that the overpowered item remains consistently, if not increasingly overpowered, since if the items in the future will be better than the ones available now, why would people buy in right now instead of waiting?

You're kind of describing Magic: The Gathering here.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The Internet was already loaded with harmful misinformation long before AI hit the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The shares are meant to be a keepsake they aren’t an investment

It doesn't seem like you own anything though, so what are you keeping?