Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

4. Blackmail
5. Money laundering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

xtal posted:

Of course, a thread full of bootlickers probably doesn't want free speech in China either.

:allears: This should be fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why no, crypto isn't a cult, now let me tell you about the ignorant nocoiner hordes and how their every word is brainwashed lies.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

"I think we should improve our energy consumption somewhat".

"And yet your corporeal form uses energy. Curious! I am very smart".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

We absolutely should. Haven't really seen anyone say otherwise.

You, repeatedly, defending cryptofucking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't eat beef, not do I mine coins. I am now the moral arbiter of this thread, and decree that Stanley Pain stops mining butts and uses his solar energy for the power of good instead of personal greed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

xtal posted:

Dear pearl clutchers: What is your opinion on this post about people who buy NFTs?

The use of pearl clutchers implies that we might have a vaguely positive opinion of NFTs, and if that was genuinely your intent then holy poo poo.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can we buy the land with bitcoin? Then just burn down the server farms and kill two birds with one stone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Stefan Prodan posted:

i've donated blood many times and probably saved at least a dozen lives so I'm entitled to murder at LEAST one person

Also I just so happen to be a qualified surgeon who has saved MANY lives, so I feel pretty comfortable with the giddy thrill that only murder can bring. Sorry if that's not good enough for you all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People spending millions on art is money laundering and/or rich guy posturing, and it always has been. Just loving lol if you ever gave that grift an ounce of respect.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Andy Dufresne posted:

This NFT thing is exceptionally stupid because it doesn't prove anything about ownership in the real world. Sure, a sale could be recorded on the blockchain but it doesn't have to be. Even if beeple transferred ownership of an actual piece of digital art to me and recorded it on the blockchain, the blockchain isn't what proves the transfer. It's our contract that does (which may be verbal). From there I'd be able to sell it to Trump for $69 billion and I wouldn't have to record it on the blockchain. It would be a waste of money to do so

It's just another iteration of freeman on the land bullshit, where people want to have their cake and eat it by being rugged individualists who are beholden to no-one, while also benefiting from a strong, codified system of ownership, and as always are too greedy and self absorbed to understand that all concepts of ownership are ultimately based on authority, so without anyone to back up your claim (which, whoops, you don't have because you based your ownership on a big decentralised system without any owners), all your poo poo is up for grabs for anyone who doesn't want to respect your fancy internet ledger.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Take the original .PSD, zip it up and encrypt it with a password. Congrats, you now have authenticity and security for 3¢ worth of electricity, if that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Crypto is zero sum because nothing of value is being produced - no product, no service, nothing. NFTs might have been useful, in theory, but their actual application is basically worthless, so no dice there. No bank is creating credit to loan to people for the purpose of buying or mining crypto, so it's just dollars being traded around for ownership of crypto, but no-one is then able to turn crypto ownership into economic growth.

Money is still flowing in because the capital generated by economically useful activity is being sunk into it, but at no point will crypto become an economically useful endeavour in itself, so once fools are no longer being parted with their money, it falls over, or at best gently collapses as true believers keep shovelling cash in to prevent a total collapse.

E: and as mentioned above, because there is a cost to producing and trading crypto, that makes it negative sum.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's what is going to happen, isn't it. People are going to shovel money into dogecoin, because the low cost of mining means big gains when you sell. That is stupidest possible outcome, so that is what will happen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hard-drive-ssd-shortages-imminent-if-new-cryptocurrency-blooms

Oh my goooodddddddd gently caress oooofffffffff gently caress OOOOFFFFFFFFFFFF

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 18, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's the same as bitcoin, except instead of computing power it's the people with the most empty hard drives who win out. It shouldn't have the crippling environmental costs of mining, but it still hugely favours wealthy people and incentives them to hoover up all the stock.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People really are just completely bored of living, aren't they.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hammerite posted:

"everyone using the internet lives in the United States of America" - American internet users

Fixed. See also "reposting for the night crew", otherwise known as "people that live in other parts of the world for whom it is actually daytime right now".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's interesting for sure, but ultimately it's exacerbating component supply issues and destroying our green energy gains for something that has essentially no use at all, which is why it gets so much aggro compared to basically anything else. That people can get rich out of it is also irrelevant, because their riches are just coming from other people's bank accounts, crypto isn't generating something actually useful that banks are willing to create credit for. Everything has a resource cost, but does any other human endeavour have so much cost for so little?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Has anyone looked into the energy cost per person of regular currency against crypto? It constantly comes up, but of course no-one ever give hard numbers, just some nebulous "but don't you see that everything uses energy, and is therefore exactly the same?".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's great thanks, and may I say HOLY making GBS threads BALLS OF gently caress :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

The whole thing just feels so off. Like it's such an obvious scam I must not be understanding it correctly.

Gosh, has it been five minutes already?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

Sorry if I'm making GBS threads up the thread with these questions, but this is literally the only place on the internet I've found where I can actually get real answers without running into the true believers. My sister has recently gone off the deep end into crypto and I need to arm myself for the arguments that will soon follow as she gambles her entire family's life savings away. If I've learned anything from reading about this on the internet it's that the moment you can't answer one of their questions or you give a wrong answer your entire point is invalidated.

Lol, it's all good, it's just that what you said is a running joke, almost verbatim, because so many come into the thread going "that can't be right, I must not be understanding it / explaining it wrong".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Specifically, this bit:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How is this not an emote already.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1388026566169399297?s=19

Second tweet and linked article are the relevant ones.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Beef posted:

Buttcoin hit 1k (pages)

edit for actual content: A single Chia plot of 100GB is giving me a mean time to win of 10 years. The actual farming is not doing much, but creating the plot is a SSD-destroying device.

Destroying as in physically wrecking it, or just wasting a colossal amount of space for a return period that will outstrip the amount of time you are expecting to keep the drive for in the first place?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The problem is that crypto is worthless, which means that there is no upper or lower ceiling on the value people can place on it. The speculative value of real things like goods and resources can be under or over valued, but if people need to actually use that resource then there's only so high its speculative value can go before it completely fucks with the market supporting that valuation. The only thing holding crypto back is how many rubes you can wallet inspect at any given time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If they have to keep buying it then surely by extension you have spent the same amount getting rid of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a lot going round Twitter right now about Chia being able to wreck a 512GB SSD in like six weeks, and if that's true then look forward to all the world's storage being smashed with a metaphorical hammer until the whole thing implodes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Inept posted:

yeah it does multiple TB of writes for each 100 gb lottery ticket. they're probably moving to thrashing cloud compute SSDs now and copying the bingo cards down from the cloud.

So, what, they're planning to destroy the world's data centers as well? I know our desire to see crypto crash and burn far outstrips the unfortunate reality, but how is chia meant to last out the year at this rate?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

Maybe then all the "environmentalists" in this thread would lose the moral high ground.

It would prove that they were right to poo poo on it on environmental grounds, so no, no they wouldn't.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone, somewhere, is currently working out how to market juicecoin to gyms.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

1) Every time Divabot doesn't post about their book, everyone should ask "Where's Divabot's book?"

2) Divabot should be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, only approved people can reply. They know full well they're going to get dunked on and don't want any rubes getting turned off the grift.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe they lost a bet. They have to go without pants at home because they lost a bet.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spatial posted:

increasing the number of people using bitcoin also increases the fees btw

the transaction fee is essentially a bid to get your transaction put in the next block

Wait, so who decides this?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Could you please edit your oldest posts to bring parity with the rest of your thread contributions, they being me joy and it's bumming me out, thank you in advance.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ozy is REALLY hedging their bets by saying two hours there; that's basically a worst case scenario, the standard transaction time is seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Adolf Glitter posted:

Police Destroy 1,069 Bitcoin Miners With Big rear end Steamroller In Malaysia

Really got my hopes up with that headline.